Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone else a bit sorry for ditching Gadget?

Comments

• I'll bet Korg's "Gadgeteria Pro" is coming and we'll just have to buy all new Gadgets.

Maybe it will only run on M1 hardware... iPad or Mac. So, we'll need to update our hardware just enjoy it's capabilities.

Running AUv3 potentially capable Gadgets that are only supported in Gadgeteria Pro but are offered as AUv3 external versions that be "on sale" for $19.00 each for other DAW platforms.

Korg will find a way to make the development effort pay for itself.

And I (for one) will be overjoyed to get more Korg AUv3 options... iWaveStation (IAA) and Module Pro (AUv3) are 2 of my favorite apps to load up in AUM.

Then I'll re-install Gadget and consider myself lucky to have invested when the costs were low.

I do that periodically with ThumbJam while I wait for the new "Toe Jam" to drop. "Toe Jam" accepts most foot pedals for input.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I never used it when I had it installed. Deleted it a few months back and haven’t missed it once.

• Pretty much never used Gadget as it never clicked with me but I’m a fan of Korg stuff. Got a lot of mileage out of Grooverider GR16!

• edited May 2021

@reasOne said:
    I still love gadget.

But..

For korg, the effects are not my flavor. I don’t know why they haven’t added au fx support. Even if we have to stick with gadgetized synths I’m fine but i need better reverbs, tape effects and delays at least. I might even buy an iap if that would release a better suite of effects for gadget... its the biggest set back

Yep, when I look at my projects, some channels have 2/3 EQs , 2 reverbs plus one delay :D

I really like the sequencer and workflow, it def isn’t AUM but what is LOL.... i get more songs in the finished catagory with gadget than anything else

Same here, and isn't that a major point?

• Just for the record...

@rs2000 showed me that the one place on IOS that you can Rex files imported from Recycle is in the Propellerhead and Korg collaboration "Stockholm".

If you have a library of those rex files this is a huge benefit you can't leverage in any other way on IOS.

Rex files are:

An audio loop format used by ReCycle, a sampled loop creation and editing program; rex stores audio data and loop slicing information; REX files can be quantized, have the tempo changed, and can be tuned or detuned.

• @McD said:
    Just for the record...

@rs2000 showed me that the one place on IOS that you can Rex files imported from Recycle is in the Propellerhead and Korg collaboration "Stockholm".

If you have a library of those rex files this is a huge benefit you can't leverage in any other way on IOS.

Rex files are:

An audio loop format used by ReCycle, a sampled loop creation and editing program; rex stores audio data and loop slicing information; REX files can be quantized, have the tempo changed, and can be tuned or detuned.

Oh absolutely, and it's the only way to use custom sampled instruments in Gadget.

• I never used the effects within Gadget (apart from synths that have built-in phaser, as I consider a phaser/flanger/delay as part of the synth). I’d always save out full length single audio track recordings, and do the proper mixdown in Auria, using the effects available there. I don’t use effects much anyway, I far prefer the raw sounds of a synth, it’s more confrontational, primitive and anti-commercial.

• edited May 2021

I loved gadget when it first came out. Great sound, sequencer and scales implementation.

Now Drambo is getting a piano roll and can host AUs so Gadget’s on the slow lane.

I still love it for occasional random sketches though.

• R_2R_2
    edited May 2021

@rs2000 said:

@McD said:
    Just for the record...

Rex files are:

Oh absolutely, and it's the only way to use custom sampled instruments in Gadget.

Vancouver and Abu Dhabi be like :'( :'(

• @u0421793 said:
    I far prefer the raw sounds of a synth, it’s more confrontational, primitive and anti-commercial.

Sure. Ultra-shite... but in a cool way. Like intentional, artiste attitudinal, in your face “pretty boy critic “ with this raw sewage of sound. A personal statement that says “you want some of this!”

We get that here.

• It was fun every now and then on my phone to kill some time, but I removed it from my iPad more than 2 years ago and haven't missed it at all. If the gadgets became AU's I would reinstall it immediately AND buy every IAP. The gadgets were great, but I didn't like the sequencer or workflow. That little 4 voice analog drum synth sounded so good. Would love to use it inside Aum or Drambo.

• I haven’t used Gadget much lately, but I haven’t “ditched” it either. It’s still there, ready for when I’m in the mood to use it again, and I find it a very creative environment, focused more on making music than just playing with sounds.

• I still like and use it. iPad-less for now so it’s a little tough to use on an XR, but it’s still one of the only apps I’ll build sounds in from scratch which is fun. The effects (EQ, reverb) are definitely a little lackluster, but the grain shifter is amaaaazing. Wouldn’t mind having that bad boy as an AU (Replicant is a good stand in, but there’s something about that grain shifter I just can’t replicate anywhere else).

Agreed if Gadget became fully AU’d I’d also pick up all Gadgets and any of the other standalone ones I’m missing. I really do like how straightforward the synths are, and yeah some are a little goofy and niche-y but it would be a very welcome addition to our arsenal :)

• Frankly they couldn’t be bothered to add y touch velocity to their onscreen keys, for an app built originally, exclusive to iPad. So that doesn’t boost my confidence. Hopefully they’ll give us iKaossilator Pro one day.

• R_2R_2
    edited May 2021

Here’s an example of more ‘adventurous’ FX by using Zurich/Rosario/Durban.
    I simply recorded the beat from track 1 (Recife) straight into track 2 (Zurich) through iPad internal speaker and mic.
    Lots of different colors can be found this way.

Warning: watch your volume (portal to hell is opened occasionally >:))

• @R_2 said:
    I simply recorded the beat from track 1 (Recife) straight into track 2 (Zurich) through iPad internal speaker and mic.

Perfect example of why Gadget could use internal track2track routing :)
    (Technically they have already done it with the Sidechain and iMS20Gadget that can use any Gadget Track as audio input).

• Gets removed and the reinstalled because I think ‘surely I can integrate it this way, right?’ And then gets removed again because it just breaks my flow too much. It’s great standalone though. Last time (just a while ago) it was because I tried using iMS-20 with Drambo. There is too much of a lag playing from Drambo to iMS-20 standalone so I thought, maybe.... So nah it doesn’t work cause there’s too many apps open and doesn’t work for me. I wish iMS-20 would get AU treatment 😢

• edited May 2021

It's a good mobile app but I think if Korg had more midi sequencer gadgets rather than just synths it could be more popular. As the workflow is very restricted and gets a bit stale fast.

I'm still wanting to have the Korg synths converted to AUs though :)

• Some of their synths are top-notch. I think OdysseI is my favorite virtual analog on iOS (particularly for bass) -- and Gadget allows multiple instances. So, I periodically run it as essentially a virtual gear rack. It also is still handy as a place to sketch something together that I finish elsewhere. It can be annoying to get the audio stems out when not using their internal sequencer, but it isn't terrible either when the synths have the sound you want.

• @u0421793 said:
    What’s happened to Gadget? It still works as usual here. What’ve I missed?

that's what I'm wondering lol.

As someone who came to gadget lukewarm, I love it now and have found workarounds for holes in the program and couldn't care less if they ever release auv support.

I can totally understand those who do not like the closed box approach though, especially with all the amazing and creative apps out there now to GAS about.

• Gadget was too expensive from the beginning. Additional machines with a single functionality for the price of around 10 bucks... It was easier and an obvious decision to get an other AUv3 app of choice and then use it across the platform. I like Korg but they need to adjust to the market.

• edited May 2021

I still use it quite a lot, it’s very useful for composition still for me cos I use Reason on desktop and it’s similar to the block mode so there’s a familiarity factor. Plus I’m a total Korg fanboy

• @israelite said:
    Gadget was too expensive from the beginning. Additional machines with a single functionality for the price of around 10 bucks... It was easier and an obvious decision to get an other AUv3 app of choice and then use it across the platform. I like Korg but they need to adjust to the market.

I imagine their recent tests of making AUs will be valuable for them in future planning. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are cranking away on more of them.

• I think they’d peak a lot of interest back into Gadget if at minimum they made it a host for au effects and midi. Preferably instruments too but I understand why they wouldn’t do that from a business standpoint. The effects and midi however wouldn’t really effect the IAPs

• Gadget is amazing. It’s not like it’s degraded throughout the years.

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I think they’d peak a lot of interest back into Gadget if at minimum they made it a host for au effects and midi. Preferably instruments too but I understand why they wouldn’t do that from a business standpoint. The effects and midi however wouldn’t really effect the IAPs

The issue for them isn't whether people would be interested...the question for a professional developer with employees is: will the time and effort invested in an app generate more revenue than it cost to develop and promote the app. Interest doesn't pay bills. Korg also would know what kind of revenue their apps generate.

Korg has enough experience with iOS development to have a sense of what sort of investment in the platform makes sense. It looks like they consider the platform to be worthwhile enough not to drop but not so worthwhile as to merit allocation of resources that would result in what we would see as a timely response to our needs/wants.

• I used Gadget extensively for the first few years and got to know it inside out. Made a number of tracks I was personally very pleased with. But it seems daft having around 200 other awesome apps that cannot be incorporated into it. So AUM has become my new playground where I can actually make use of all the other apps I’ve spent out on. Bram’s apps alongside a few synths and drum machines running through Gauss and all those yummy Eventide fx takes you to fantastic and far out places that Gadget could never reach. If Korg would facilitate AUv3 and proper decent audio tracks, I’d be well sorted.

• edited May 2021

reading all the comments I can only think "different strokes to different folks". Although I'm primarily a (rockmusic) guitar player, I really love Gadget. For me it's the fastest way to make music. Even the audio tracks are fine for me, just don't use the Guitar amp emulation. I'm personally not interested in AUM, apps that crash and all that. And perhaps it's my age and years of making music but limitations work best for me. From the start of ios I invested a lot in music apps (animoog still one of my favs) and I noticed that after buying them I couldn't find the time or energy to really master them, so a lot of them remain unused. Gadget however, is perfect to get started quickly.
    I use gadget on my ipad to get a song started and I love the fact that I can continue working on it in Gadget on my mac.
    So to me Gadget is perfectly usable as it is now. And I'm perfectly happy with keeping it as closed (and stable) as it is now. It would be nice though if korg made some improvements in the quality of the effects.

• @R_2 said:

Cool stuff! I guess I'm going to try this with a BBD delay.