Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone else a bit sorry for ditching Gadget?

Comments

• I used Gadget on iPad, I enjoyed the gadgets but I didn't enjoy the sequencer, I'm not a fan of triggering clips. So when it went on sale I bought the Gadget Collection to use in Logic. I just got around to installing and testing the plugins the other day. Some of the synths still sound very good to me, I'm glad I bought the collection. I kept about 20 plugins and uninstalled the other 20 or so. Still, good stuff for the money.

• i literally stopped using gadget when they changed UI and added that disgusting blue gradient in piano roll view .. it hurts my eyes ..

• Made a stupid mistake of getting gadget (a gas episode) while having drambo and au stuff. Fun lasted few days. Its outdated and super limited, sequencer / fx / mixer are shit, but its the only way to properly sequence their emulations of ms20 and arp, but its not worth it really. so.. anyway, my advise - do not buy.

• @KirbyMumbo said:
    Necroing an old thread to ask if anyone knows. When did Gadget get direct Audioshare import? Was it recently because I would have definitely been using that as the sample import was one of my big annoyance points. It's now in all the sample and audio gadgets.

Yeah those import options have been there for years. Doug demonstrated it in 2017 (3:20)

• It's even easier to just dump folders and sub-folders of samples, rex-files and other audio-files into the Gadget folder using Files.app. For 're-sampling' just export to 'iTunes' (which should be renamed DOH) as the files end up in the Gadget Documents folder and are instantly available to all the 'Sampler Gadgets' and other apps that support Files.app / Document Picker.

I love the 'Korg Sound' so Gadget will remain on my iPads for a foreseeable future...

• McDMcD
    edited March 2023

I think I’ll take @rs2000’s advice and buy the Stockholm gadget and play around with REX files a bit.
    Korg makes amazing apps… iWaveStation is truly magical.

Too bad they haven’t given much new lately except some sub-par (IMHO) Module Pro packages. Still…
    What they gave us is pretty damn sweet.

UPDATE: I picked up the Stockholm gadget which is a “Propellerhead” widget created by what is now “Reason. Inc”. I owned Reason 20 years ago but really didn’t learn much from it because I developed a Guitar Addiction.
    I thought synths were bad… you’ll never own enough guitars if it gets you hooked. There are so many and some are just beautiful works of craftsmanship. And then you get into amps and stomp box effects. Good times.

• I’ll echo everyone in favor of Gadget. I think it’s a really really great app and was the app that got me fully into iPad production beyond just occasional sound sources and sketches/fun. I only open it once or twice every few weeks but every time I do I end up making something I like and have a lot of fun doing it.

• @HotStrange said:
    I’ll echo everyone in favor of Gadget. I think it’s a really really great app and was the app that got me fully into iPad production beyond just occasional sound sources and sketches/fun. I only open it once or twice every few weeks but every time I do I end up making something I like and have a lot of fun doing it.

Yep, it's one of the few music apps that I'm still using regularly other than Drambo.
    I do like the clip/pattern based approach so it fits me well.

BTW @dendy, KORG have remedied the awful dark blue background in a later update and it's not perfect but acceptable now.

• Would love it if Korg got back into making new iOS apps / updating Gadget..🎛

• Gadget just sounds so good, really hope Korg keep it working on future iOS versions.

• Gadget is quite possibly the quickest comprehensive compositional tool on iOS.

Yes, audio is loop only but other than that for quickness and decent sound it is the dogs bollocks.

For everything else there’s Drambo. ;)

• It’s still a great app, if anything it feels like Korg gave up on it or rather they don’t t see any room for improvement or new features, the only updates are the ability to use expansions from Module. I understand though, they have a lot of desktop apps they seem to be more focused on as well as hardware , which I’ve also bought some of ( Prologue 16, Microkey Air 37 ) I’d love to see them make all of their IPad apps into audio units but tbh I don’t that’s ever going to happen.

• @Strizbiz said:
    It’s still a great app, if anything it feels like Korg gave up on it or rather they don’t t see any room for improvement or new features, the only updates are the ability to use expansions from Module. I understand though, they have a lot of desktop apps they seem to be more focused on as well as hardware , which I’ve also bought some of ( Prologue 16, Microkey Air 37 ) I’d love to see them make all of their IPad apps into audio units but tbh I don’t that’s ever going to happen.

Yeah, but so long as they continue to maintain Gadget for years to come, that's good enough for me. And I'll just continue to support Korg by purchasing Module expansions.

• If it wasn’t for the fact that there’s no way to define the starting bar of a clip, even with all the other little option they packed in there, I’d probably use it for everything. Problem is, i don’t think about that stuff when recording. I’ll loop things and come in with a new instrument whenever I feel like it, so I end up with all these clips where I’m hearing the start of a phrase in one place, but in the clip it’s bar 3 or 5. And i sure as hell don’t have the patience to painstakingly crop, duplicate, and rearrange everything after the fact. Not to mention the moving of clips still feels wonky. So it’s a shame, cause it’s one of the best collections of great sounds on the platform

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Strizbiz said:
    It’s still a great app, if anything it feels like Korg gave up on it or rather they don’t t see any room for improvement or new features, the only updates are the ability to use expansions from Module. I understand though, they have a lot of desktop apps they seem to be more focused on as well as hardware , which I’ve also bought some of ( Prologue 16, Microkey Air 37 ) I’d love to see them make all of their IPad apps into audio units but tbh I don’t that’s ever going to happen.

Yeah, but so long as they continue to maintain Gadget for years to come, that's good enough for me. And I'll just continue to support Korg by purchasing Module expansions.

They definitely got some support from me lol

• R_2R_2
    edited March 2023

@supadom said:
    Gadget is quite possibly the quickest comprehensive compositional tool on iOS.

Yes, audio is loop only but other than that for quickness and decent sound it is the dogs bollocks.

Agree about the quickness.
    Not sure if “audio is loop only” is doing it justice though. Yes it’s scene (pattern) based, but if you turn off loop you can record a continuous audio performance from one scene to the other.
    Similar for importing audio, you have to move the start point in each scene (cumbersome but doable). That’s what I did with the vocals in these 2 remixes (fully made in Gadget):

• @Strizbiz said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Strizbiz said:

So effing jealous. :mrgreen: I wish I had space in my small flat for that beast.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Strizbiz said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Strizbiz said:

So effing jealous. :mrgreen: I wish I had space in my small flat for that beast.

Tell me about, I want the Wavestate and Modwave too but I have no room for them atm lol

• @db909 said:
    If it wasn’t for the fact that there’s no way to define the starting bar of a clip, even with all the other little option they packed in there, I’d probably use it for everything. Problem is, i don’t think about that stuff when recording. I’ll loop things and come in with a new instrument whenever I feel like it, so I end up with all these clips where I’m hearing the start of a phrase in one place, but in the clip it’s bar 3 or 5. And i sure as hell don’t have the patience to painstakingly crop, duplicate, and rearrange everything after the fact. Not to mention the moving of clips still feels wonky. So it’s a shame, cause it’s one of the best collections of great sounds on the platform

Well, one option is to keep practicing producing in Gadget, and eventually all of that painstaking editing becomes second-nature. I produced this beat...

...in about an hour. Polished it in AUM with RX950, MagicDeathEyeStereo, Pitch Drift (subtly), and Barricade.

The other option is to use Module Pro and Electribe Wave as AUs in any host of your choice (with my preferred hosts being Nanostudio 2 (HipHop and EDM) and AUM (Ambient)).

• I didn't know audioshare was there so early. damn, I need to get back into using Gadget then. That's crazy I missed that since I use audioshare to organize all my samples and bounce audio to.

I agree that everytime I open it I can make something fairly interesting and its fun to make. Wish they would do more than sample pack updates as well.

• @KirbyMumbo Import from AudioShare is convenient in that case. But as mentioned by @Samu above: Files support is also great, you can then move multiple files at once (incl (sub)folders).

• when Bitwig added the option to import Ableton Live projects (and Gadget exports both midi and audio Ableton Live files) my Gadget appreciation was renewed.

the appreciation was already there, im a Korg fan and a completist, so I have the full set of toys and banks. Im having some fun on both platforms now.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    when Bitwig added the option to import Ableton Live projects (and Gadget exports both midi and audio Ableton Live files) my Gadget appreciation was renewed.

the appreciation was already there, im a Korg fan and a completist, so I have the full set of toys and banks. Im having some fun on both platforms now.

I have the full Gadget set as well. It was worth the investment for me. :) If I ever do return to a desktop/laptop environment, I may invest in Bitwig or Live just to try this out.

• @rs2000 said:
    BTW @dendy, KORG have remedied the awful dark blue background in a later update and it's not perfect but acceptable now.

oh really ? will check.. can't say i didn't like Gadget's simplicity yet still good sound for quick idea sketches ..

• edited March 2023

@dendy said:

@rs2000 said:

oh really ? will check.. can't say i didn't like Gadget's simplicity yet still good sound for quick idea sketches ..

Turn up the brightness a bit, enable MIDI clock and you're good to go 😉

By the way, MIDI Clock worked well with both my Quiccos and MD-BT01 on the Digitakt.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    when Bitwig added the option to import Ableton Live projects (and Gadget exports both midi and audio Ableton Live files) my Gadget appreciation was renewed.

I have the full Gadget set as well. It was worth the investment for me. :) If I ever do return to a desktop/laptop environment, I may invest in Bitwig or Live just to try this out.

Im glad also to have invested in the full roster
    It’s tons of fun.

Bitwig is also inspiring for me like Gadget-
    I recommend it highly. its one of many (too many!?) toy boxes Ive invested in, i use it with touch interface, and i can wander in it for hours.

throwing a Gadget sketch in there is a great way to get going

(and of course i’ll return to a self contained FLSM as often. what a lovely array of goodies on the platform)

• @rs2000 said:
    By the way, MIDI Clock worked well with both my Quiccos and MD-BT01 on the Digitakt.

weird, maybe mine is broken

• @dendy said:

@rs2000 said:

Like said, check your Digitakt MIDI settings.

• Like said, check your Digitakt MIDI settings.

@rs2000 said:

@dendy said:

@rs2000 said:

Like said, check your Digitakt MIDI settings.

nope everything is ok, no feedback

• @R_2 said:

@supadom said:
    Gadget is quite possibly the quickest comprehensive compositional tool on iOS.

Agree about the quickness.
    Not sure if “audio is loop only” is doing it justice though. Yes it’s scene (pattern) based, but if you turn off loop you can record a continuous audio performance from one scene to the other.
    Similar for importing audio, you have to move the start point in each scene (cumbersome but doable). That’s what I did with the vocals in these 2 remixes (fully made in Gadget):

Great sounds there. Only listened to it through iPad’s speakers but it’s clear and punchy. Well done. Great vocals too.

Yes, there’s way of getting the vocals done in gadget but going through that bottleneck isn’t ideal.

The great thing Gadget has over Drambo which I’m using daily atm is that the latter needs taming when using the internal sound engine. In Gadget it’s all there and already pasteurised.