Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Strummer AUv3 Plugin by 4Pockets.com (Released)

123457»

Comments

• Cheers, I do also often wonder if an iPhone version could be made portrait, but I wonder that about a lot of apps 😄

• edited May 2021

I'm enjoying building a song "chord chain" but find a problem with the buttons for selecting, cut, copy, paste chords. If I try to do this there's a pop up saying that "there is no selection or range of events to copy". As far as I can tell, I have a chord selected; there's a red dot above it; Is this a bug? Has anyone noticed this? I've got the most recent update. The Help page doesn't mention it and also I checked @Gavinski otherwise informative video about it and when he gets to that area, those edit buttons aren't mentioned either. Anyway, it would be helpful to be able to cut copy paste in there.

• Is it possible to import strumming patterns created by other users? Despite being a guitarist, I am having difficulty making patterns that sound as good as most of presets.

If it is possible to import, has anyone patterns they would like to share?

One thing I love doing with this incredible app is to set a pattern going and then play the mute button “live”, I.e, hold on mute, release momentarily, touch, hold etc. That combined with some of the Nembrini amp sims - wow, great stuff.

• Version 1.10 is out:

This version includes the ability to flip the sequencer grid using the Left Handed button. By default I've flipped it since people wanted it that way by default.
    I've added a button to mute the effects called FX Bypass.
    The effects and song construction pane have now changed places since song mode is used more in conjunction with the pad settings than effects.
    Fixes the spelling mistakes of 'flattened' in the chord names.
    Updated Help

• Nice that the sequencer has been moved, I’ve been harping on about it for ages :smiley:

• I am using MIDI Strummer in Cubasis, and I am impressed with the app and its potential. However, at the moment there seems no way to change chord mid-measure, or to syncopate chord changes, unless I have missed something.

For example, I have set up a 2-measure loop in Cubasis, and for the sake of testing have programmed an E chord in the first measure, an F chord in beats 1&2 of measure 2 (playing the first half of the pattern) and a G chord in beats 3&4 of measure 2 (to play the second half of the pattern), using MIDI notes in the piano roll to contol the changes.

On playback of the ARP in Cubasis, the Tab Diagram and Chord Pads are correctly changing at the appropriate points in measure 2, but only the F chord sounds throughout the measure.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or a current limitation of the app, but the ability to syncopate chord changes in 16th notes would really make this app.

• edited June 2021

@Asaph53 I would reach out to Paul the developer, as he is extremely open to adding new features for his apps, based on user feedback . He implemented a couple of my suggested ideas for MIDI Strummer.
    PM me if you need his email address

• A continuous random mode for the sequenced strum pattern!

• @louis said:
    A continuous random mode for the sequenced strum pattern!

That would be cool indeed.

• @Asaph53 said:
    I am using MIDI Strummer in Cubasis, and I am impressed with the app and its potential. However, at the moment there seems no way to change chord mid-measure, or to syncopate chord changes, unless I have missed something.

For example, I have set up a 2-measure loop in Cubasis, and for the sake of testing have programmed an E chord in the first measure, an F chord in beats 1&2 of measure 2 (playing the first half of the pattern) and a G chord in beats 3&4 of measure 2 (to play the second half of the pattern), using MIDI notes in the piano roll to contol the changes.

On playback of the ARP in Cubasis, the Tab Diagram and Chord Pads are correctly changing at the appropriate points in measure 2, but only the F chord sounds throughout the measure.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or a current limitation of the app, but the ability to syncopate chord changes in 16th notes would really make this app.

Thanks to the help I’ve received, I’ve managed to sort it out. I had overlooked some settings options.

I set the Sync option to “Every Beat”, the Reset option to “Continuous”, moved the MIDI trigger notes slightly ahead of the beat, and set the appropriate ARP speed.

• Further to the above:

Just to clarify - I'm using Cubasis, and I'm using MIDI notes in the track to directly trigger the chord changes (as per the help file - "MIDI Control"). The Input Mode is set to "Play Notes (MIDI Conrol)". In the piano roll I move the notes a fraction ahead of the beat. I am not using the Song Mode in MIDI Strummer.

• edited June 2021

@Musicfan said:
    For any MIDI Strummer users out there , are there are any particular updates/features you would like to see implemented in any future updates? I have been in touch with Paul the developer and he is very open to suggestions.

1. The ability to change chords on every half beat (8th note) and every 1/4 beat (16th note.)
    2. When loading a preset - show the preset name at top of window.
  • edited June 2021

In the meantime I’ve used the following workaround to obtain chord changes across less than whole beats:

1. In Cubasis I open a second instance of MIDI Strummer (or any other suitable instrument) in a MIDI track, making sure both input options within MS are set to “Play notes (MIDI Control.)

2. I direct the MIDI routing output of the first track to the second track (and the MIDI routing input of the second track to receive from the first track.)

3. I record enable the second track and then hit “record” (I lower the second track fader so as to only hear the original.) The output from the first track is then recorded as MIDI notes in the second track.

4. I can then go into the newly recorded track (remembering to bring the fader back up and mute the first track) - delete any control notes in the lower registers and tweak individual note pitches in the chord strumming patterns at any point in the rhythm as I wish.

5. Be aware of the need to extend an original pattern length that ends on a held chord otherwise the recorded chord audio is cut short.

It sounds convoluted, but stages 1-3 are relatively straightforward - the time consumption of stage 4 depends on the complexity of one’s rhythm and chords.

I hope this is helpful - I’m open to correction if there’s a more straightforward solution 😊

• Necrothread but new update made me chuckle, I was wondering what Nigel Farage had been doing lately, looks like he’s taking on Apple with his own music app 😁

• @GrimLucky said:
    Necrothread but new update made me chuckle, I was wondering what Nigel Farage had been doing lately, looks like he’s taking on Apple with his own music app 😁

Yer saw that politics and music a bad combo. Did make me laugh though. Typo we love them.

• @BillS said:
    Is it possible to import strumming patterns created by other users? Despite being a guitarist, I am having difficulty making patterns that sound as good as most of presets.

If it is possible to import, has anyone patterns they would like to share?

One thing I love doing with this incredible app is to set a pattern going and then play the mute button “live”, I.e, hold on mute, release momentarily, touch, hold etc. That combined with some of the Nembrini amp sims - wow, great stuff.

Yes, the ability to create and share very specific patterns would be a great update.

• @GrimLucky said:
    Necrothread but new update made me chuckle, I was wondering what Nigel Farage had been doing lately, looks like he’s taking on Apple with his own music app 😁

Yes, I LOL’ed when I saw that.

• It's a typo.

Should read "Farage Bland".

• It was written somewhere in this thread that we can send midi in and StrummerFX can play the incomming notes. It doesn't seem to work for me (I have set the input "Play Notes (MIDI control)" but no luck...). Is/was it working ?

• @cuscolima said:
    It was written somewhere in this thread that we can send midi in and StrummerFX can play the incomming notes. It doesn't seem to work for me (I have set the input "Play Notes (MIDI control)" but no luck...). Is/was it working ?

Did you get this to work?

• Make sure Strummer is loaded in an Audio slot.

• @GUB said:

@cuscolima said:
    It was written somewhere in this thread that we can send midi in and StrummerFX can play the incomming notes. It doesn't seem to work for me (I have set the input "Play Notes (MIDI control)" but no luck...). Is/was it working ?

Did you get this to work?

Nope

• edited July 2023

Deleted - replied to wrong entry

• @cuscolima said:

@cuscolima - If you can describe your setup, I may be able to help. I've used all of the MIDI input options in StrummerFX in AUM and tested them pretty extensively.

• @cuscolima said:

Connect your midi controller to Strummer, under Strummer's 'Midi Input' select either Piano to Guitar Chords, Pad Learn Mode or Piano to Guitar (Latch Mode) and make sure the Arp button is activated (alternatively activate Host Sync and start the host's playhead). That’s it.

As soon as you change one of the input methods the Arp mode stops, don't know if this is intended or a bug.

Strummer only needs to be in the audio slot if you want to use its internal SoundFonts, otherwise the midi slot will also work.

• @Polyphonix said:

@cuscolima said:

Connect your midi controller to Strummer, under Strummer's 'Midi Input' select either Piano to Guitar Chords, Pad Learn Mode or Piano to Guitar (Latch Mode) and make sure the Arp button is activated (alternatively activate Host Sync and start the host's playhead). That’s it.

As soon as you change one of the input methods the Arp mode stops, don't know if this is intended or a bug.

Strummer only needs to be in the audio slot if you want to use its internal SoundFonts, otherwise the midi slot will also work.

Thanks both of you @Polyphonix @EdZAB

Of course it works ok like this, stupid me. I was only focus on the “FX in the name” -> has to be in the “FX” slot