Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Strummer AUv3 Plugin by 4Pockets.com (Released)

Comments

• Damn, that looks really deep. I was hoping NuRack would be the end all solution to all the 4pockets stuff but this looks really enticing

• It's Johnny Marr in a box - my first impression from the video anyway.

• edited September 2020

@wim said:

@horsetrainer said:
    I think I heard Paul say in the video that this App plays built-in sound fonts, or can import your own sound fonts.

I'd like to also be able to use it to play the instruments I make using the auto-sample feature in Chameleon.

Are Chameleon instruments actually the same as sound fonts?

If not.....

Please Paul, add capability for your new Strummer App to internally load Chameleon instruments too. :)

It has midi out, so there's no restriction on what you can play with it.

I understand wim. :)

I'm just thinking if it can import sound fonts, it might sort of make sense that it could also use the Chameleon instruments that a user can make using Chameleon's auto-sample.

Edited to add..
    OR, add sound font export capability for Chameleon. I think it would be really cool if Chameleon could export sound fonts.

• edited September 2020

MIDI Strummer AUv3 Plugin by 4Pockets.com

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1532229404

Description:

MIDI Strummer is an AUv3 plugin designed to simulate guitar strumming and picking techniques. It can used to generate MIDI note data which can be sent to either an external synth of choice or the internal soundfont engine. 

The inbuilt soundfont player allows you to import all your favourite .SF2 and .DLS soundfonts and use them as a sound source. MIDI strummer has a set of 16 definable chord pads that can hold a series of chords, which in turn can be triggered remotely via MIDI messages or by tapping the pads.

Use the pattern editor to create a series of picking or strumming patterns that can be tranposed to the selected chord pad. 

Song mode allows you to chain these chord patterns together to form songs combining both picking and strumming patterns within the same song. Enable 6/12 string on a particular part to emphesize a pert by adding depth.

Strummer also features a number of audio effects that can be used to enhance the audio from the soundfont player. These include overdrive, distortion, tremolo, chorus, phaser, graphic EQ, digital delay and reverb.

Key Features:

• 6 and 12 string emulations.
    • Simulate strum up/down with variable speeds.
    • Create patterns up to 64 steps in length.
    • Load up to 6 pattern variations.
    • Ramdomize and rotate options.
    • Songs can be up to 255 steps in length.
    • Built in ARP function.
    • Import your own soundfonts.
    • 8 different effect types (reverb, delay, phaser, chorus, overdrive, distortion, tremelo and EQ).
    • Paramter Automation from your DAW using MIDI.
    • Built in Sampler.
    • Comprehensive Help pages included.

Details:
    Universal: Yes
    Minimum OS version: 11.0
    Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

• Great.. just in time for the weekend..

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

Can anyone say whether the string order can be flipped in the pattern thingy? I dunno why, but I just can't get past them being "upside down" in my head.

• @wim said:
    Am I the only one that is bothered that the strings are arranged "upside down", with the lower strings at the top? I dunno why, but that really bugs me.

Pretend you’re playing a transparent guitar, looking through the neck and it’ll make sense. Unless, that is, you string your guitar upside down.

• Some questions for any insta-buyers

• can it create/perform realistic hammer-on, pull-off, or a walking bass pattern?

• does each pattern take up space on the chord pads?
      • is it even possible to create your own chords, say a D with the open G
      • is the pattern editor/player good enough to pull it off?
    • I see that some chords don’t play all the strings, like an open C. Is it possible to create a C/G that plays the low G?

Cheers

• This is an App I'm very interested in, but am going to wait for more details like those that @xor is asking about.

• Would it be a better value to buy nurack for $2 more (on sale) or does this spinoff offer that much more functionality over the iteration in nurack? I’m relatively new to production so I’m not interested in building my own interfaces and such so I wouldn’t benefit from this aspect of nurack, but I do use multiple fx on my tracks which I think a channel strip/rack would help.

• Don't know what I'm doing (nothing new), but throw this into NS2 and play individual notes and records nicely....step up and use the arp which with the preset pads is very fun and immediate song-writing pleasure but NS2 doesn't record the notes....any clues?

• @king_picadillo said:
    Would it be a better value to buy nurack for $2 more (on sale) or does this spinoff offer that much more functionality over the iteration in nurack? I’m relatively new to production so I’m not interested in building my own interfaces and such so I wouldn’t benefit from this aspect of nurack, but I do use multiple fx on my tracks which I think a channel strip/rack would help.

i was wondering the same thing

• xorxor
    edited September 2020

@eross said:

@king_picadillo said:
    Would it be a better value to buy nurack for $2 more (on sale) or does this spinoff offer that much more functionality over the iteration in nurack? I’m relatively new to production so I’m not interested in building my own interfaces and such so I wouldn’t benefit from this aspect of nurack, but I do use multiple fx on my tracks which I think a channel strip/rack would help.

i was wondering the same thing

(From the first post taken from the video description, emphasis mine)

This app first featured in 4Pockets NuRack and it was always my intention to make it a fully featured standalone app of its own, this way I could expand on the feature set and make it something really special.

• @wim said:
    Am I the only one that is bothered that the strings are arranged "upside down", with the lower strings at the top? I dunno why, but that really bugs me.

Maybe that's coz when you look at a guitar from the front, the low strings are at the top. But I think it probably is counter intuitive from a player's perspective. You look down on the strings from above, the bass strings are closer, which in some way translates to the bottom. Also, chord charts are written that way.

• Can I get some metal chugging accomplished with this?

• pic 1 - guitar player view, pic 2 - rotated to expected view on paper/screen. Low strings at the bottom.

And yes my fretboard IS disgusting.

I think it could be a cool app for other uses to though. adding movement to held synth chords etc, in a way different to the usual arps. It sounds pretty realistic at times doing the guitar thing

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@SimonSomeone said:

@wim said:

Maybe that's coz when you look at a guitar from the front, the low strings are at the top. But I think it probably is counter intuitive from a player's perspective. You look down on the strings from above, the bass strings are closer, which in some way translates to the bottom. Also, chord charts are written that way.

It's inconsistent with the chord diagram at the left. Logically, if you flipped that counter-clockwise by 90 degrees, placing the nut at the left, the low E would be on the bottom.

I can see how it would make sense to a non-guitar player. After all strumming downward is down in the app. But it's inconsistent with every guitar app, including GarageBand, that I can think of. It's also upside-down from guitar tab.

I'm not usually like this about interfaces. I laugh at people who don't buy apps because of things like this! But ... just ... can't make myself buy it like this. :D

• @mjcouche said:

@senhorlampada said:
    The sound on American Acoustic for Sampletank really is awesome. And I recall some forum members using in their songs
    Just never bought it because I don't have the disk space for it :lol:

While it does sound amazing, the lower end is “ruined” with the “string sounds” that makes it nearly unusable. Unless there is a way to turn this off.

Thanks. You dampened my craving. :lol:

• @eross word
    @xor thanks, i guess i was asking if the strummer in nurack is good enough, passable. Not being a guitarist all the super advanced features would be lost on me at least for a good while. Was trying to weigh getting a bunch of fx for ten bucks with a decent strumming effect against getting a single, super advanced stand alone strum effect for almost the same price. If the strummer in nurack is lackluster, I could see the value in the standalone.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

The main reason I’m interested in this is the random strum/arpeggiator thingy. I see it as a great way to come up with patterns to learn to play on a real guitar. It’s practically impossible to satisfy myself with any guitar emulation, but as a way of coming up with ideas for guitar parts, it seems great.

• i’d have to agree. if the dev could just to a mirror mode, and have the nut at the left bridge on the right, and lowe e string at the bottom. that would be cool. also it could be cool to be able to set the low e to a d string for drop d tuning.

• It’s 7 bucks. I got it this afternoon and I’ve already had about $4.28 worth of fun. It does have a lot more functionality than the strummer in NuRackFX. I own both without regrets. Yes I have app acquisition syndrome. YMMV

• Did the left handed button help the folks that found the string layout awkward?

• edited September 2020

@wim said:
    The main reason I’m interested in this is the random strum/arpeggiator thingy. I see it as a great way to come up with patterns to learn to play on a real guitar. It’s practically impossible to satisfy myself with any guitar emulation, but as a way of coming up with ideas for guitar parts, it seems great.

It’s pretty nice... will like to see some ‘probability, adjustable lanes, etc.’
    With Just one pattern it can generate so many variations..

• As a guitar player, I’m really loving this. It will make songwriting a lot more natural for me on the iPad

• Great great app. I’m really enjoying it.

• Just tried Midi Strummer into SpaceCraft and getting some wild patterns good stuff.

• @White said:
    MIDI Strummer AUv3 Plugin by 4Pockets.com

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1532229404

Description:

MIDI Strummer is an AUv3 plugin designed to simulate guitar strumming and picking techniques. It can used to generate MIDI note data which can be sent to either an external synth of choice or the internal soundfont engine. 

The inbuilt soundfont player allows you to import all your favourite .SF2 and .DLS soundfonts and use them as a sound source. MIDI strummer has a set of 16 definable chord pads that can hold a series of chords, which in turn can be triggered remotely via MIDI messages or by tapping the pads.

Use the pattern editor to create a series of picking or strumming patterns that can be tranposed to the selected chord pad. 

Song mode allows you to chain these chord patterns together to form songs combining both picking and strumming patterns within the same song. Enable 6/12 string on a particular part to emphesize a pert by adding depth.

Strummer also features a number of audio effects that can be used to enhance the audio from the soundfont player. These include overdrive, distortion, tremolo, chorus, phaser, graphic EQ, digital delay and reverb.

Key Features:

• 6 and 12 string emulations.
    • Simulate strum up/down with variable speeds.
    • Create patterns up to 64 steps in length.
    • Load up to 6 pattern variations.
    • Ramdomize and rotate options.
    • Songs can be up to 255 steps in length.
    • Built in ARP function.
    • Import your own soundfonts.
    • 8 different effect types (reverb, delay, phaser, chorus, overdrive, distortion, tremelo and EQ).
    • Paramter Automation from your DAW using MIDI.
    • Built in Sampler.
    • Comprehensive Help pages included.

Details:
    Universal: Yes
    Minimum OS version: 11.0
    Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

This really is a superb app. Coming at it from a different angle compared with the also brilliant Tonality. They'll compliment each other well I think.

For anyone else trying to figure out where the rest of the effects are other than Graphic EQ, overdrive and distortion, you have to swipe left and right to see the rest of the rack!

• edited September 2020

@zah said:

@wim said:

No. It is totally backwards. GeoShred has the lower strings at the bottom. As does GarageBand and Yonac's Steel Guitar.

Was trying to figure out what you guys all meant but now I see. You mean the arpeggiator sequencer window right? Hadn't noticed but I see what you mean. Yes, it's inconsistent with virtually all other sequencers in that pitch normally rises with the Y axis but can't really say that it bothers me. Probably would be better the other way up though.

One observation I would make is that the guitar pad can only really be used for strumming an entire chord. You can't really do finger picking like you can in Tonality. This is because (1) it plays from left to right rather than from top to bottom (it would really need to be rotated 270 degrees to support finger picking, and (2) it's not really big enough to pick out individual strings even on my iPad pro 12.9. No worries though we've got Tonality for that which supports finger picking really well.

• @charalew what would you say are the pros and cons of each of these - this and Tonality? Obviously Tonality has the finger picking going for it as u just said, would be curious to hear any other observations you have though 🤔