Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Strummer AUv3 Plugin by 4Pockets.com (Released)

Comments

• @Gavinski said:
    I also notice that if I try to just send notes from a keyboard through Strummer, it is passing those notes through, and when the arp is on, the arp is not processing those notes received from the keyboard. The arp is just outputting the notes in the chord chart to the left of the arp section. So am I right in thinking that this doesn't actually process external midi input properly, the way RhythmBud does, for example?

The manual is your friend:

• @Tim6502 Thanks, I've read it Tim, well, most of it. Thing is, what you posted here is just about sending midi messages to turn various features in the app on and off etc. I know it does these things. This is not what I'm looking for.

What I'm trying to do it get it to arpeggiate midi notes being sent in to the app. I don't want Strummer to use its internal chords, I want it to use only its arp section to process chords coming in from outside.

• @Gavinski said:
    @Tim6502 Thanks, I've read it Tim, well, most of it. Thing is, what you posted here is just about sending midi messages to turn various features in the app on and off etc. I know it does these things. This is not what I'm looking for.

What I'm trying to do it get it to arpeggiate midi notes being sent in to the app. I don't want Strummer to use its internal chords, I want it to use only its arp section to process chords coming in from outside.

That’s what I thought was the point of midi in? So your saying you can’t senD chords in and have them play through the sequencer? Or is it just an arp thing?

• @Poppadocrock said:

@Gavinski said:
    @Tim6502 Thanks, I've read it Tim, well, most of it. Thing is, what you posted here is just about sending midi messages to turn various features in the app on and off etc. I know it does these things. This is not what I'm looking for.

That’s what I thought was the point of midi in? So your saying you can’t senD chords in and have them play through the sequencer? Or is it just an arp thing?

I feel I must be missing something because you really should be able to send chords in. But so far can't find a way. Only thing I see midi doing is the stuff mentioned in Tim's message, which is not what I'm looking for.

• I really do think it is missing this ability

• I been debating alllll day picked it 2 hrs ago.... guys, it’s dooooope. Can’t wait to experiment more.

• @Weareroses said:
    I been debating alllll day picked it 2 hrs ago.... guys, it’s dooooope. Can’t wait to experiment more.

I do concur in your excitement!

@Gavinski and @Poppadocrock - I think this is a guitar strummer and not an Arp, so you will have to look elsewhere for that, as well as for logic to compute whether (and when) there is a chord in the incoming midi (elsewhere in AB there is a long thread why that typically is not an easy thing to program, e.g. in Mozaic). This effort is simply sidestepped by predefining the chords.

The features I would still like to see in this app are:

• ability to copy-paste patterns between presets (and not just variants of one preset),
    • ability to append to a pattern, not just to overwrite it,
    • ability to send an entire strum to a different Midi channel to realize mutes, chucking, etc. (or even doing that on individual notes), and
    • export / import of presets to share across devices / users.
  • Thanks Tim, yes, just that it was asked here before whether it could detect chord input and arp it, and someone said it could. This was one of the features I was most looking forward to. So yeah, it doesn't do that, it's good for people to know that clearly.

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks Tim, yes, just that it was asked here before whether it could detect chord input and arp it, and someone said it could. This was one of the features I was most looking forward to. So yeah, it doesn't do that, it's good for people to know that clearly.

I would hazard a guess that it’s like that because it wouldn’t know which string to associate a particular note of a chord with, the other thing I’ve wondered about with this is how you’d be able to do hammer on/pull off type things that I instinctively do when I’m playing guitar in this way... the basic editor he’s made is really cool though, just not sure about the rest yet...

• Yes Krupa - that’s a very good point actually!

@Krupa said:

@Gavinski said:
    Thanks Tim, yes, just that it was asked here before whether it could detect chord input and arp it, and someone said it could. This was one of the features I was most looking forward to. So yeah, it doesn't do that, it's good for people to know that clearly.

I would hazard a guess that it’s like that because it wouldn’t know which string to associate a particular note of a chord with, the other thing I’ve wondered about with this is how you’d be able to do hammer on/pull off type things that I instinctively do when I’m playing guitar in this way... the basic editor he’s made is really cool though, just not sure about the rest yet...

• This has its own thread but I’ll post it here too, as this thread will hang around longer:

Midi Strummer from 4 Pockets allows you to generate guitar strumming and picking patterns, which can be played using the internal soundfonts, using your own imported soundfonts, or by sending the midi it generates to other apps. It has an arpeggiator with some cool randomization functions, which you can then tweak, or you can make your own patterns from scratch with a choice of pluck, downward strum or upward strum for each note. It can be played live via its internal chord pad section, which gives a choice of 16 chords at any one time (which you can customize using extensions and inversions, replace with other chords etc etc), or you can use its internal chord sequencer to build song patterns. It also has an FX section with chorus, distortion, phaser and other effects. You can send note and cc messages from external virtual keyboards/controllers to trigger various changes. Please note that, at present, it does not seem to allow you to arpeggiate incoming midi notes, it seems there was some misunderstanding about that in early user reports here on the AB Forum.

Details of how to win one of three free copies of the app are in the pinned comment at the top of youtube.

Ps: If necessary, click ‘view in youtube’ to view this.

• @Tim6502 said:

@Weareroses said:
    I been debating alllll day picked it 2 hrs ago.... guys, it’s dooooope. Can’t wait to experiment more.

I do concur in your excitement!

@Gavinski and @Poppadocrock - I think this is a guitar strummer and not an Arp, so you will have to look elsewhere for that, as well as for logic to compute whether (and when) there is a chord in the incoming midi (elsewhere in AB there is a long thread why that typically is not an easy thing to program, e.g. in Mozaic). This effort is simply sidestepped by predefining the chords.

The features I would still like to see in this app are:

• ability to copy-paste patterns between presets (and not just variants of one preset),
    • ability to append to a pattern, not just to overwrite it,
    • ability to send an entire strum to a different Midi channel to realize mutes, chucking, etc. (or even doing that on individual notes), and
    • export / import of presets to share across devices / users.

I agree with all these little tweaks. Would love to copy and paste to make slight variations In the middle of the same sequence just like I do in DigiStix. Preset exports for sharing would be freaking bad ass too.

I through so many random synths at this today and I was in this playground of evolving sounds and structures, I know that’s not what it’s intended for but the stuff I was getting out of it was crazy vibes.

• Paul said he would look into allowing midi in but who knows. As I mentioned in the other thread, there are indeed difficulties, pointed out by Krupa, that if you use regular keyboard input you don't have the detailed info about chord position on the fretboard etc that are a lot of what makes this app special. I think it's a great app by the way, I definitely wouldn't let the lack of being able to use it as a traditional arp but me off getting it, it's great. But I'd definitely love to see some mutation options with maybe some intelligent auto-hammer on effects etc. Would be so nice if an arp pattern made small changes in each pass through. And as I mentioned in my video, I think it really needs a save feature for arp patterns, not whole presets. Plus, allowing one arp pattern to run its course before switching to another. Those transitions don't run smoothly.

• And want to see the playable fretboard / chord chart on top left be made wider to allow easier manual strumming and picking

• Version 1.01 is out:

Added a Palm Mute button.
    Added the ability to add a Palm Mute on a vertical strum up/down.
    Added an output level meter on WaveTable output.
    Added a Humanize (random timing option).
    Fixed an issue which could prevent custom chord pads 8-16 from loading properly.
    Other mall bug foxes.

• Wow, Paul really doesn't mess around, that's a lot of update considering this just came out

• @eross said:

@king_picadillo said:
    Would it be a better value to buy nurack for $2 more (on sale) or does this spinoff offer that much more functionality over the iteration in nurack? I’m relatively new to production so I’m not interested in building my own interfaces and such so I wouldn’t benefit from this aspect of nurack, but I do use multiple fx on my tracks which I think a channel strip/rack would help.

i was wondering the same thing

This video may help you decide - I have more NuRack videos coming. I haven’t got strummer and probably won’t buy that app as I play things with strings so have no need of it - but can very highly recommend NuRack

• @Gavinski said:
    And want to see the playable fretboard / chord chart on top left be made wider to allow easier manual strumming and picking

For me, this is the single most important enhancement needed of all the above 👍

• @charalew said:

@Gavinski said:
    And want to see the playable fretboard / chord chart on top left be made wider to allow easier manual strumming and picking

For me, this is the single most important enhancement needed of all the above 👍

Ask for it if you haven’t already!

• @Jamie_Mallender thank you. I have issues so I bought both. My post was a cry for help because I knew if not persuaded otherwise, quickly, I’d hit the buy button on everything and I did ;)

• @Gavinski said:
    Wow, Paul really doesn't mess around, that's a lot of update considering this just came out

Nope. The musicman don’t play. Lol.

• Could someone make clear that you cannot use Stummer FX as an AU3 as playable instrument using the audio pads as I the Stand-Alone mode , inside a Daw ie Cubasis Auria

• Per Paul the developer a big update with lots of new additions should be released this weekend.

• Version: 1.02 is out:

This version has a custom Chord editor. Load and Save and Assign your own custom chords.
    Added a song step preview (TAP and HOLD on a step to preview).
    Added an Input Mode button to allow you to assign guitar chords to pads using piano chords.
    Added an Input Mode that allows you to play strumming patterns using a connected MIDI keyboard.
    Added the ability to load and save custom variation patterns.
    You can now assign Variations A-F / 12 string and Continue/Reset pattern changes to a song step in bulk (using a selection).
    Added the ability to backup custom chords, presets and custom variations.
    Drag and drop with Files App for chords, presets and custom variation file windows.

• Hey guys , I’ve a question

I’m using notes 0-15 with note 16 for arp as control midi. the strummer outputs the chord as expected, but it also plays the actual note that is pressed. How do I only play the chord and not the pressed low note? Thanks

• This update is the tits.

• edited October 2020

In custom chord does anyone know how to make a string open once you’ve changed it? I can only seem To move a string to fret or to an X but not back to an open string. This custom chord thing from a guitar interface is so freaking cool. Wow.

• @Poppadocrock You need to click on one of the bottom notes to put a string back to an open string.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    In custom chord does anyone know how to make a string open once you’ve changed it? I can only seem To move a string to fret or to an X but not back to an open string. This custom chord thing from a guitar interface is so freaking cool. Wow.

Yeah, banging update! To make them an open string, clicking at the bottom should do it. Top for mute, bottom for open. Is that not working for you? @Poppadocrock

• @Gavinski What do you think about suggesting to Paul the idea of adding an Off option for the chord change feature frequency feature, in order to facilitate really quick chord changes?