Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LK - for Ableton Live & Midi by Imaginando - AUv3 Clip Launcher Finally Available in AUM!!

Comments

• @wim said:

@Tim6502 said:
    Is anyone using the X/Y Pad in LK?

It’s working as expected here.

Indeed, it is! What threw me off is the output on the X, Y, Z settings at the bottom of the pad - these do not reflect the CC values that are actually being sent.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@Tim6502 said:

@wim said:

@Tim6502 said:

Indeed, it is! What threw me off is the output on the X, Y, Z settings at the bottom of the pad - these do not reflect the CC values that are actually being sent.

They’re fine for me as reported by MIDISpy.

[edit] ahh, I see what you mean!
    @sinosoidal - this looks like a bug. The y axis “V:” isn’t displaying the right values. It’s displaying the x-axis value.

• @sinosoidal said:

@soundtemple said:

@McD said:
    For anyone hesitating to buy a LaunchPad for use with Atom 2... LK can be that MIDI Control surface with Matrix installed.

For some it's LK or Atom 2 but for me it's LK or LaunchPad. Atom 2 is a given.

Nice idea!

Indeed!

By the way, we will add support to Launchpad Mini Mk3 and Launch Key Mini Mk3

No Launchpad Pro MK3 love?

• @Samu said:
    Hmmm,

@sinosoidal Wonder if it's just me but I'll shoot it out in the open...

I've been using my LPPro3 with Live Lite and LK and noticed a few differences.

In LK when I tap 'rec' near the end of the bar (to stop recording at the end of the bar) while holding a chord the last held chord/notes are not recorded?! (I usually hold down the chord with one hand and tap 'rec' with the other hand).

In Live when tap the 'rec' near the end of the bar the last held notes are recorded just as they should.

So it feels to me that LK prematurely stops recording before it's reaches the end of the bar?!
    (Ie. it stops recording new notes the moment I tap the 'rec' button but the recording indicator is lit until the bar ends).

Other features I'd love to see is 'trim clip to selection'.
    For example if the recording I want to keep starts at bar 2 I have to manually move the notes.

I'm still both a LPPro and LK newbie so if this is intended behavior feel free to ignore the post...

Cheers!

@Samu I was looking for an older post and discovered this one. We might have a bug there. We need to check that out. Trim to selection is already implemented. Have you found it? Best

• @wim said:

@Tim6502 said:

@wim said:

@Tim6502 said:

They’re fine for me as reported by MIDISpy.

[edit] ahh, I see what you mean!
    @sinosoidal - this looks like a bug. The y axis “V:” isn’t displaying the right values. It’s displaying the x-axis value.

We have recently made changes to the X/Y module to have the new MIDI assignment dialog. That has probably escaped us. :blush:

• @soundtemple said:
    @sinosoidal By default each time you open a saved AUM project it seems all the controllers in the LK Controllers list are set to green (active). Is it possible to make that setting persist in an AUM session so I can have them inactive to avoid conflicts?
    In my experience the setting persists with other apps.

If i use the LP session mode with something else (which I do all the time) it conflicts with the LK mapping and I have to go in and manually disable every time I open the project.

I'm not sure what the "cost" is of having all the Controllers active but I think there would be hardly anybody using more than one Controller connection. (Controllers as opposed to Midi connections)

Are you in beta?

1.10.6 available for testing now, has controller state saving.

Can you please confirm it solves your problem?

Thx! :blush:

• @Tatobx said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Tatobx said:
    Hi @sinosoidal would it be possible for the Play and Rec buttons to light up in LaunchKey when activated? Thanks

If there is a light, we shall turn it on! :smiley:

Great!! :)

The new 1.10.6 has some tweaks to the Launchkey implementation:

• Stop and Play lights are being light up
    • You can press REC + PAD to arm tracks.

Can you please give it a go and let us know what you think?

• @Intrepolicious said:

@sinosoidal said:

@soundtemple said:

@McD said:
    For anyone hesitating to buy a LaunchPad for use with Atom 2... LK can be that MIDI Control surface with Matrix installed.

Nice idea!

Indeed!

Launchpad Pro Mk3 is supported for a while now. Have you tried it already?

• @sinosoidal said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@sinosoidal said:

@soundtemple said:

@McD said:

Nice idea!

Indeed!

Launchpad Pro Mk3 is supported for a while now. Have you tried it already?

I haven’t. I just saw the latest mini and launch key mini support added and though we might still be waiting.
    I just got my LPP Mk3 recently so I’m still trying to figure out everything I can use it with on iOS.

Thank you for the quick reply btw!

• @sinosoidal said:

@Tatobx said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Tatobx said:
    Hi @sinosoidal would it be possible for the Play and Rec buttons to light up in LaunchKey when activated? Thanks

Wow everything works perfectly ❤️, Novation should learn from this (in the sense of listening to user requests).
    I am only sorry that from now LK will be relegated to the background and I will not often see its beautiful interface :smiley:

Also controller state saving works fine here

Thank you so much

• @Tatobx said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Tatobx said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Tatobx said:

Wow everything works perfectly ❤️, Novation should learn from this (in the sense of listening to user requests).
    I am only sorry that from now LK will be relegated to the background and I will not often see its beautiful interface :smiley:

Also controller state saving works fine here

Thank you so much

Thanks for your feedback! :blush:

• There was someone in this thread complaining about timming issues when using external controllers. Someone with a Launchpad Pro which was trying to use it's sequencer to send midi to LK. Can anyone related with this issue?

In the latest build (1.10.6 - 231) we have made slight but important changes to the way midi in is handled when it is coming from non hosts which should enhance the delivery of this events.

This is a minor change but can have a significant impact on midi performance, because the midi events from external controllers were being delayed many times, causing controllers to be less responsive. Can anyone relate with this description?

• edited April 2021

@sinusoidal

Has anyone reported this, when opening LK in AUM

Sorry I haven’t scanned the thread, this is latest iOS, latest LK build, Air 4

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @sinusoidal

Installed from TestFlight or App Store?

• @sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @sinusoidal

AppStoe

• @Littlewoodg said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @sinusoidal

AppStoe

I've just tested on a iPhone X using iOS 14.4.2, hosting LK on AUM. No issues what so ever.

• @sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @sinusoidal

AppStoe

I've just tested on a iPhone X using iOS 14.4.2, hosting LK on AUM. No issues what so ever.

This is iPad Air 4, also 14.4.2. I had the same happen with an iPad Pro 10.5 inch.

Has there been any reports of bad interactions with AUv3 instruments?

• edited April 2021

I love LK and it became my dominant sequencer but some things trouble my workflow.

1. Opening and closing the piano roll with the i button still drives me crazy. Please add a normal X to close this window. ‚Push info to close‘ is almost as unintuitive as ‚click start to shutdown’. I would also like a double tap on the track name to open piano roll.
    2. Another annoyance is that in the piano roll you are automatically in the draw mode. Countless times I added notes that I did not want to add when navigating the notes. Especially during live jams this is really annoying.
    3. Ad-hoc recording in a live situation. Let‘s say I‘m performing and I want to record a clip with 4 bars. In a live situation I usually do not have LK‘s UI open. It’s great that with a pad controller I can arm the track but how to start/stop the recording without using LK‘s UI?
    4. Consider these little triangles in the buttons to indicate that they have a long press function as 4Pockets did in the new Helium sequencer. That’s really neat.
  • @Littlewoodg said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @sinusoidal

AppStoe

This is iPad Air 4, also 14.4.2. I had the same happen with an iPad Pro 10.5 inch.

So far, you are the first to report this issues.

• edited April 2021

@Littlewoodg said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @sinusoidal

AppStoe

Just asking, where did you insert LK, as MIDI source, or ??

Are you able to open LK stand-slone?

Please look in Settings–>Privacy–>Analytics & Improvements–>Analytics Data for any LK crash logs. The file name will begin with "LK".

Have you tried restarting the iPad, power-off, not just Sleep? Could you try deleting and re-installong LK?

• Does LK have an easy/optimal way to move a project file between iPad and iPhone?
    I'm going to use the "share" option in AUM... I hope that works.

• I have an issue that someone here might be able to help with...I hope :)

I have composed some clips in Atom 2 and I enjoy “playing” these clips and being able to control and compose the songs live. But, sometimes I need to be free from this and just have a set arrangement play, or at least full scenes, so I can concentrate on singing, playing guitar, playing a synth, etc.

So, I thought I would use LK for this. This way I can make an arrangement with scenes that trigger several clips in Atom at the same time (and loop until I launch another scene).

But, for reasons unknown, I just cannot get LK to launch the Atom clips.

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, but I don’t know what. I’ve tried different approaches in the Atom clips (hold, one shot, ableton style), but nothing works. Also, I’m a bit confused, because LK’s piano roll seems to go all the way down to C-2, and my first Atom clip is set to be launched by a C-1. Yet, when I long-press the C-2 in LK, it actually triggers the C-1 clip in Atom. So, the thing is: LK and Atom seem to be have a octave difference, and I can trigger events in Atom by holding down a key in the editor on LK, but if I paint a bar of midi in the LK editor, nothing happens when I start that scene.

Just reading this makes me even more confused, and I’m not sure I’ve explained it correctly. If anyone is able to say “look,you fool, it’s just because you forgot to tick off X and change Y to Z, I’d be grateful. I have tried to trigger a synth AU from the same LK project and it works fine.

• edited April 2021

@galmandsværk said:
    Just reading this makes me even more confused, and I’m not sure I’ve explained it correctly. If anyone is able to say “look,you fool, it’s just because you forgot to tick off X and change Y to Z, I’d be grateful. I have tried to trigger a synth AU from the same LK project and it works fine.

Generally, the easiest thing to do is to keep the Atom clips in "Hold" mode, and assign a note to trigger them.

Atom follows AUM's note naming, so note zero (the lowest note possible) is C -1 in both Atom and AUM. However, know that while the naming differs (C -1 in Atom/AUM, C -2 in LK), they're both the exact same note zero (lowest note possible), it's just different naming conventions, and neither are more "correct".

The following template doesn't use LK, but Atom to drive other Atoms (sequencing the sequencers): https://patchstorage.com/atom2-internal-sequencer-template/. You can use that template to learn how it works and substitute the master Atom sequencer with LK, and I suspect it will work just fine.

• how do you change the time signature in the app? is it only 4/4? is it assignable per clip? is that an option?

• @galmandsværk The octave shift you detect is due to different note naming conventions. Middle C (MIDI 60) can be either C3 (Yamaha, Apple), C4 (Roland), or even C5. It sounds like LK uses the Roland convention, while Atom uses the Yamaha convention.

• Thanks @blueveek and @uncledave for the quick replies - and the clarification about the midi conventions (learning every day). I’ll give it a go with the template and see if I can work it out!

• edited April 2021

@sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @sinusoidal

AppStoe

This is iPad Air 4, > @uncledave said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @sinusoidal

AppStoe

Just asking, where did you insert LK, as MIDI source, or ??

Are you able to open LK stand-slone?

Please look in Settings–>Privacy–>Analytics & Improvements–>Analytics Data for any LK crash logs. The file name will begin with "LK".

Have you tried restarting the iPad, power-off, not just Sleep? Could you try deleting and re-installong LK?

Thanks for these ideas.

LK was inserted in a midi slice in AUM

I have opened LK as standalone

I’ll do the full restart, and reinstall

But I may have found something interesting in the crash logs. (As a side question aren’t these automatically shared with the devs? In this case, another dev, not sinusoid)

What I found didn’t show an LK crash, but there is a lengthy bit for that day re: AddStation, which was part of the same project...

Which seems to be the thing here. (The other times that this happened, I think I recall that the same projects had AUv3s that produced hanging notes...)

If this is happening with LK, synths and AUM, this is why I find multi-app workflows frustrating for my sensitive nature. I suppose it would be unfair to expect the LK developer to make his app immune to the crashes of other apps.

I’ll do the other tests when I roll out of bed

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts

As an aside @sinusoid your apps and support for them are extraordinary.

• @Littlewoodg said
    But I may have found something interesting in the crash logs. (As a side question aren’t these automatically shared with the devs? In this case, another dev, not sinusoid)

Yes, if you enable "Share with App Developers". But I'm not sure how quickly that happens, and they certainly cannot be correlated with your posts here.

Sounds like your LK is basically normal, i.e. not broken. Maybe AddStation was trying to grab too much memory, preventing LK from building its GUI. Could you try LK in a simple AUM project, without AddStation, to see if it works at all in AUM?

• @uncledave said:

@Littlewoodg said

Yes, if you enable "Share with App Developers". But I'm not sure how quickly that happens, and they certainly cannot be correlated with your posts here.

Sounds like your LK is basically normal, i.e. not broken. Maybe AddStation was trying to grab too much memory, preventing LK from building its GUI. Could you try LK in a simple AUM project, without AddStation, to see if it works at all in AUM?

When I made a sesh w/out AddStation (which I think is pretty hungry cpu-wise and crashy, as Virsyn stuff can be) I didn’t lose the LK GUI...

Thanks for your thoughts

Next testing round will be to see about hosting LK in MTS...

• @krassmann said:
    I love LK and it became my dominant sequencer but some things trouble my workflow.

1. Opening and closing the piano roll with the i button still drives me crazy. Please add a normal X to close this window. ‚Push info to close‘ is almost as unintuitive as ‚click start to shutdown’. I would also like a double tap on the track name to open piano roll.

Adding a close to the composer is feasible. Double clicking the track name to open will collide with the expand/contract group functionality in Live mode

Does anyone else feel the same pain as @krassmann ?

1. Another annoyance is that in the piano roll you are automatically in the draw mode. Countless times I added notes that I did not want to add when navigating the notes. Especially during live jams this is really annoying.

We don't explicit states. We have had in the past and then moved to gesture based interaction. A tap on a place that does not have a note, will create a note. However, you are right, sometimes while pinhching notes could be created and that could become annoying. I have opened an issue for this.

1. Ad-hoc recording in a live situation. Let‘s say I‘m performing and I want to record a clip with 4 bars. In a live situation I usually do not have LK‘s UI open. It’s great that with a pad controller I can arm the track but how to start/stop the recording without using LK‘s UI?

If there is no clip, you can arm the track and press the clip slot (if you have a dedicated controller, you can press the desired clip, otherwise you can midi map the cell to any midi controller).

If you have already a clip, you just need to ensure overdub is on, and you can arm the track, ensure that song recording is enabled and fire the clip (or ensure it is playing).

1. Consider these little triangles in the buttons to indicate that they have a long press function as 4Pockets did in the new Helium sequencer. That’s really neat.

Sorry, I can't consider this an annoying thing! It is just an esthetic decision. :blush: