Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I have fully stepped away from iOS music production

Comments

• edited May 2020

why all this drama? just use whatever u got be desktop ipad phone or tuba.. cmon who cares.. just be creative..
    im new to this forum but having a laugh at some departure threads.. its too much :D

• I am going back to the quill and staff paper.

• @noob said:
    why all this drama?

It's just a pent up rant based upon hours of frustration. Good to get it out. We have all had moments where we get angry at the prison guards.

If you're not there (yet) consider yourself lucky.

Most of us scale back our ambitions and live with the limitations but there is another world out there with a completely different set of problems but it's hard to equate the work product of the 2 paradigms.

I stay because I just tend to buy tools and not drill deep into any creative process. It works for me to
    experiment, investigate and rejoice in small victories.

• You’ll be back, mofo

• He’ll be back.

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@CracklePot said:
    I am going back to the quill and staff paper.

Use a hair comb and staff paper so you can at least keep making music.

You may never go back to iOS or Desktop.

• @wim. Hell yeah
    Gonna get my Yakity Sax on now!
    😂

• edited May 2020

This is a very interesting thread. Just yesterday I was trying to sample some loops In Live on both a pc and MacBook Pro with Kontak (because of course we can’t get proper NI audio units on iOS yet) to use on my iPad. On the Mac I wasn’t able to get Live to load at all after updating to Catalina 10.5 and on the pc, using both ASIO4ALL and FL ASIO I was having issues with the buffer rate. In the end I gave up for now. It’s frustrating as hell.

I’ve never felt as creatively inspired as I’ve been with the iPad. The innovation devs bring to this platform is almost mind boggling to the point where I need to scale back and take all the possibilities in.

I don’t really feel being able to have a hundred tracks make the for a “Pro” environment. I think it’s the human creative spirit that matters most. Burial is a great example of this, and his work has pretty much inspired a generation of artists. Supposedly he did much of his early work starting out with nothing more than Cool Edit Pro (anyone remember that one?) which became Adobe Audition.

I am on an iPad Pro 11” 2018 and so far I haven’t been plagued by issues that you mentioned and I don’t disagree that in time I probably will face some of them. But what we have here is a truly new paradigm shift that I wish apple would fully embrace (though having audio units is in itself amazing to me). But I will say the iPad just works where I have all these other issues on macOS and Windows.

In the end try to be open to all the tools out there (all of them lead to frustration at some point), use what YOU need to create the music YOU want to. Damn anyone telling you it has to be done one way or the other. We have more creative possibilities today then I ever thought possible. Embrace everything and let your soul sing.

• @Jmousseau72 said:
    This is a very interesting thread. Just yesterday I was trying to sample some loops In Live on both a pc and MacBook Pro with Kontak (because of course we can’t get proper NI audio units on iOS yet) to use on my iPad. On the Mac I wasn’t able to get Live to load at all after updating to Catalina 10.5 and on the pc, using both ASIO4ALL and FL ASIO I was having issues with the buffer rate. In the end I gave up for now. It’s frustrating as hell.

I’ve never felt as creatively inspired as I’ve been with the iPad. The innovation devs bring to this platform is almost mind boggling to the point where I need to scale back and take all the possibilities in.

I don’t really feel being able to have a hundred tracks make the for a “Pro” environment. I think it’s the human creative spirit that matters most. Burial is a great example of this, and his work has pretty much inspired a generation of artists. Supposedly he did much of his early work starting out with nothing more than Cool Edit Pro (anyone remember that one?) which became Adobe Audition.

I am on an iPad Pro 11” 2018 and so far I haven’t been plagued by issues that you mentioned and I don’t disagree that in time I probably will face some of them. But what we have here is a truly new paradigm shift that I wish apple would fully embrace (though having audio units is in itself amazing to me). But I will say the iPad just works where I have all these other issues on macOS and Windows.

In the end try to be open to all the tools out there (all of them lead to frustration at some point), use what YOU need to create the music YOU want to. Damn anyone telling you it has to be done one way or the other. We have more creative possibilities today then I ever thought possible. Embrace everything and let your soul sing.

Excellent post! 👍

• @noob said:
    why all this drama? just use whatever u got be desktop ipad phone or tuba.. cmon who cares.. just be creative..
    im new to this forum but having a laugh at some departure threads.. its too much :D

😅😂 it is hilarious to watch the exit threads, like when someone posts they are leaving a social media 🤪 oh no what will the world do

• @reasOne said:

@noob said:

😅😂 it is hilarious to watch the exit threads, like when someone posts they are leaving a social media 🤪 oh no what will the world do

It can be educational sometimes.
    I found out that I can install Catalina on my old MacBook thanks to @Jelleebean

• edited May 2020

I have no idea why people think you need to singlehandedly use one or the other. Both platforms have their benefits. I’ve been a PC/iOS user for years now. You can just as easily export stems or sketches you make on an iPad into Ableton or whatever daw you use on PC/mac. The export to ableton specially is a godsend.

I mostly just do sketches on my iPad that I then export and complete on Ableton.

Or I use my iPad as a sound module. Model 15 is one of the best moog apps you can get. And there isn’t a vst that sounds anywhere near as good.

The third use case is to use midi apps like fugue machine or even multiple stepolyarps with your daw.

I do wish you luck in your future endeavours @Bill_Brasky But it seems a bit sad that you’re just discarding something that could supplement your daw without even thinking on ways of incorporating it into your workflow. To each his own I guess. Being a hybrid user for years I can’t seem to understand your point of view.

• @echoopera said
    Now, everyone, get out of this thread and go and make music...whether it's with a Cheese Grader, an OP-1, an iPad running iPad OS 13 or a Mac/PC running Ableton or Fruity Loops. The world needs our music now more than ever.

:heart: :+1:

• edited May 2020

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I have no idea why people think you need to singlehandedly use one or the other. Both platforms have their benefits. I’ve been a PC/iOS user for years now. You can just as easily export stems or sketches you make on an iPad into Ableton or whatever daw you use on PC/mac. The export to ableton specially is a godsend.

I mostly just do sketches on my iPad that I then export and complete on Ableton.

Or I use my iPad as a sound module. Model 15 is one of the best moog apps you can get. And there isn’t a vst that sounds anywhere near as good.

The third use case is to use midi apps like fugue machine or even multiple stepolyarps with your daw.

I do wish you luck in your future endeavours @Bill_Brasky But it seems a bit sad that you’re just discarding something that could supplement your daw without even thinking on ways of incorporating it into your workflow. To each his own I guess. Being a hybrid user for years I can’t seem to understand your point of view.

I agree with all you said, beside Model 15. It sounds good but there are far better sounding modular software synths out there, even for the "Moog" sound, lol. I see more Model D at the very top end of iOS synth and Zeeon. But of course its all relative.

• edited May 2020

“There is no solution...because there is no problem...” -Marcel Duchamp

• A thing i also hear so often is that iOS is the cheaper way which is true if you start with a few tools but after years collecting apps and the experience and knowledge you get it turns out different as well.
    If i would start from zero i might would just buy Logic and a few plug-ins and apps on top.
    Look at all those high quality free tools like Valhalla Supermassive you even cannot buy for money on iOS.
    The things you get with Logic you cannot buy for the same money in iOS.
    IOS is cheap if you use some single apps but if you buy into a big thing like Komplete or and major DAW it looks different. Most important is doing proper research and you even do not have to spend a cent for music tools if you want. IOS is only cheaper if you really take some of the same tools which cost indeed sometimes 5-10 times more on windows/mac like Fabfilter, Audio Damage, Eventide and some others.
    However, i mainly do not need these on my mac and i also never buy these tools when i see they cost a fraction on iOS (this might a border in my head). The opposite is some sample libraries/tools on iOS are not cheap at all and give you not much (hello iSymphonic).
    At the end neither has to be cheap nor expensive. It is just buyers remorse which let feel us bad maybe with wrong decisions. Then you can sell a lot desktop tools and demo them before. This is something i miss in iOS.
    For hardware i would like to upgrade but my old macbook does fine with my tools and my iPhone 6S plus runs all apps i want as well. So no need for new hardware. Like my cars, i drive it until it totally break :)

• edited May 2020

ive fully stepped away from this nonsense of a thread 🧵 taking place on a the biggest forum in the universe that is in support of ios music making . the reason we are here

• @reasOne said:
    ive fully stepped away from this nonsense of a thread 🧵 taking place on a the biggest forum in the universe that is in support of ios music making . the reason we are here

Ah, com on. It is just a conversation in bad times and yet you post here. And even if it is an iOS forum you see a lot people use not only iOS since it is not a war nor the end of all. Music is music and tools works great together.
    I see here more a general fight for iOS where it is not needed. All is good.

• edited May 2020

@Clueless said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

I agree with all you said, beside Model 15. It sounds good but there are far better sounding modular software synths out there, even for the "Moog" sound, lol. I see more Model D at the very top end of iOS synth and Zeeon. But of course its all relative.

Oh don’t get me wrong. Vcvrack is an entire universe in itself. Specially with the Vult modules that I actually helped him develop lending a hand with recordings from my make_noise 0-coast amongst other synths. And while I might get flak for saying this it’s a lot better sounding on my PC. But that’s more a stand-alone app than a vst. Thanks to my ica4+ I use it via audio loop back and find it better than using vcvbridge till the vst support comes out but it’s not something everyone can do unless their audio interface supports loop back.

But in terms of vst plugins and owning a lot of the Arturia apps I still find the model 15 better for the moog sound I need. Zeon is indeed powerful too but I don’t use it as much. As you said it’s all relative. But I think between serum, pigments, drc, frms, gadgetVst and ableton internal synths I have most sounds natively on my PC. Gadgets vst export is particularly powerful since the project can be imported directly into an existing ableton project complete with the plugins loaded and automation that can be modified. So it helps go from an iPad sketch to more advanced project in record time. Patterning ableton export is also incredibly useful. Not to mention blocs wave, Groovebox et al. Abletons ability to smash projects together just via drag and drop makes it incredibly easy to just convert a jam from the iPad into a project on PC in record time.

I realise I’ve monopolised too much time on this discussion so I will shut up now :)

• edited May 2020

@Clueless said:
    I agree with all you said, beside Model 15. It sounds good but there are far better sounding modular software synths out there, even for the "Moog" sound, lol. I see more Model D at the very top end of iOS synth and Zeeon.

and miRack !!! Recently did some deeper dive into itoit and i'm amazed how great, organic and analog-like can sound some oscillator modules in miRack.. and it has one of best sounding most versatile filter modules available on iOS .. this:

and as a bonus - it's extremely CPU efficient (whole miRack, not just that filter, according dev it's one of very few music apps which are utilising multicore performance)

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Clueless said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Oh don’t get me wrong. Vcvrack is an entire universe in itself. Specially with the Vult modules that I actually helped him develop lending a hand with recordings from my make_noise 0-coast amongst other synths. And while I might get flak for saying this it’s a lot better sounding on my PC. But that’s more a stand-alone app than a vst. Thanks to my ica4+ I use it via audio loop back and find it better than using vcvbridge till the vst support comes out but it’s not something everyone can do unless their audio interface supports loop back.

But in terms of vst plugins and owning a lot of the Arturia apps I still find the model 15 better for the moog sound I need. Zeon is indeed powerful too but I don’t use it as much. As you said it’s all relative. But I think between serum, pigments, drc, frms, gadgetVst and ableton internal synths I have most sounds natively on my PC. Gadgets vst export is particularly powerful since the project can be imported directly into an existing ableton project complete with the plugins loaded and automation that can be modified. So it helps go from an iPad sketch to more advanced project in record time. Patterning ableton export is also incredibly useful. Not to mention blocs wave, Groovebox et al. Abletons ability to smash projects together just via drag and drop makes it incredibly easy to just convert a jam from the iPad into a project on PC in record time.

I realise I’ve monopolised too much time on this discussion so I will shut up now :)

All is good i was more taking about things like Reaktor, but especially P900 which is the closest to Model 15 but sounds way better (but still mac only and AU only but maybe its coming to iOS in the future). Arturia is indeed far away from the sound i want. But still i like Model 15 since it can do sounds others cannot do and the polyphonic expression (MPE which is not full MPE here) is nice to have as well.
    But i just talk about analog sound, otherwise of course there are tons of other synths and each are unique for its own.
    VCV rack is the biggest cpu hog ever on my mac and unusable and not there sound wise for me personally if i want phat analog sound like a Model 15 f.e. Here miRack on iOS is much better for me (at least for mono synth) since it just runs even on old iOS devices.
    Once a proper VCV plug-in is out i would consider it again.
    But again all relative and what sounds you prefer. I f.e. are in a minority and do not like the sound of Serum at all.
    Of course it does not matter as long as we like what we are doing ;)

• edited May 2020

@dendy said:

@Clueless said:
    I agree with all you said, beside Model 15. It sounds good but there are far better sounding modular software synths out there, even for the "Moog" sound, lol. I see more Model D at the very top end of iOS synth and Zeeon.

and miRack !!! Recently did some deeper dive into itoit and i'm amazed how great, organic and analog-like can sound some oscillator modules in miRack.. and it has one of best sounding most versatile filter modules available on iOS .. this:

and as a bonus - it's extremely CPU efficient (whole miRack, not just that filter, according dev it's one of very few music apps which are utilising multicore performance)

miRack is great indeed and seems to be lightyears better optimized as VCV rack.
    So you say miRack use multi-core for audio? I thought that is not possible on iOS. This would change a lot.
    I also think with coming Apple ARglasses and iOS devices are their main market mac is more like a side kick for them. Well, if Logic really comes to iPads i might consider to go back to an iOS set-up for eveyrthing. You never know.

• No one ever said it's not possible. It's just we're not quite there yet. It took years for desktops to optimise this nontrivial task... years after it was introduced. iOS was designed as OS for phones at a time when mobile devices didn't require multicore/multitask etc. And most apps (hosts, daws that could benefit from such feature mainly) are as well built around those core features. Currently existing apps are very unlikely to be rewritten to take advantage of multicore architecture. But I'm sure with time it will come. Part of the fun is that apple can't quite commit to anything in the name of annual innovation routine.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    No one ever said it's not possible. It's just we're not quite there yet. It took years for desktops to optimise this nontrivial task... years after it was introduced. iOS was designed as OS for phones at a time when mobile devices didn't require multicore/multitask etc. And most apps (hosts, daws that could benefit from such feature mainly) are as well built around those core features. Currently existing apps are very unlikely to be rewritten to take advantage of multicore architecture. But I'm sure with time it will come. Part of the fun is that apple can't quite commit to anything in the name of annual innovation routine.

Maybe Logic iOS shows how it works :D

• iPadPro 2018 / 12,9
    32 tracks, with a lot of fx all in Garageband

• Maybe the problem with iPads suited for musicians is that it has no rival. Theres no competitive market. No android tablet supporting music apps.

So its ipad or ipad. No other choice.

I'm still a believer that the iPads are the future of macbook pro. But apple needs to dry out the cow with all their products before that future reality.

• edited May 2020

@Vlad11 said:
    Maybe the problem with iPads suited for musicians is that it has no rival. Theres no competitive market. No android tablet supporting music apps.

So its ipad or ipad. No other choice.

I'm still a believer that the iPads are the future of macbook pro. But apple needs to dry out the cow with all their products before that future reality.

I hope not. Its still so far away for me and almost at the same price now. Bad future. IPad is no computer, it is a tablet.
    It works already better for some tasks but for a laptop like workflow many people seems to try it is really a bad thing for me. I see more to dry out the cow with these so called laptop replacement and wobbly expensive keyboard.
    I think iPads are great enough for a lot people which actually never need really a computer/laptop.
    But especially in terms of creating music it is a really slow device to work with when i want to do more complex things.
    Copy/paste, edit, drop and drag, all these things are lightyears away on iOS. I think things get better in the future but like i said before in some years you realize that you pay more for less while trying to replicate a laptop workflow.
    Ipads should be stay what they are, tablets and here they are the very best out there, especially for music creation.
    But a macbook pro is so much more if you want a real laptop. An iPad trying to replace a laptop is like those hybrid devices. Want do it all but nothing great.
    So if the future of macbook is to replace a great working tool with tons of workarounds, dongles and crippled software than it might be reality.
    Sad is that more and more iOS apps are so far away from a great multi-touch experience already and starting to mimic more the desktop like workflow and taking away all of the great things when it started. The good old apps like ThumbJam, Animoog and a few others were the reason i love iOS.
    However, i think also a lot people made maybe bad experiences in one or the other platforms years ago and forget that everywhere things are changing and there is progress.
    It also depends a lot on your workflow also.
    A macbook for the future i would love would be a macOS and iPadOS hybrid.
    So at the beginning iOS was a cheap entree and some really great and unique multi-touch apps. This has changed in a bad way for me a bit. People saying iOS is young and will mature and so on but it all was there from the beginning and beside AUv3 which was the best thing came to iOS for me nothing really changed much.
    The real future of Apple might be the next thing like the AR glasses and service/entertainment.
    I mean do people still replace their 2000 dollar iPads each year or their phones?
    I did but not anymore. I´m quite happy with my old iPhone and even older macbook which runs everything i need. A double geekbench score will not change anything. I like more to invest my hardware money in software :)
    But this is another point. The market is so crowded (also on iOS since there is not much really new or innovative anymore in terms of music apps compared to the beginning). I bough an app per week at least, then maybe 1 per months. Now maybe 1-2 in a year. But i can say the same about my mac tools.
    In 5 years it might not matter because the ARM macbook XL pro might be the only option we get beside a 3000 dollar iPhone or 50000 dollar mac pro for the professionals.
    O.k. i wrote too much already. I mean it makes anyway not much sense to discuss these things but it is always nice to see other people meanings, experiences and so on.
    At the end while i´m using now iOS since the start of music apps and mac since about 7 years as well i´m about 90-95% on mac and 5-10% on iOS if i create music. But i have not much time for it like i would want and when i feel creative i need a fast workflow. This all music on the go seems like a mystery for me since i never ever saw one human to create something on the go. So for me mobile means taking my machine from one room into the other and can use it comfortable for some hours if i get the time. Here also iPads and especially iPhones are really bad for my back and neck and a laptop with a minimum of 15" screen is what i need since i do not get younger.
    O.k., really enough now and my last post in tis thread. I mean no one really cares how a song was created, the result is important. Just have all fun people and enjoy what you do.
    One thing more. It is also that i also tried to replace my macbook with an IPad but now it took already too long for iPads to really catch up and even if they do in some years it is too late since i have nearly everything i ever need and most tools would be not there on iOS yet and if they are in the future i had to buy a new hardware and the apps again. While they might still cheap compared to their desktop counterparts i just would nit buy the same again. These days i really buy just at best 2-3 things for music production in terms of software and hardware maybe every 7-10 years. And the software i buy i mainly upgrades from tools i already own or new tools from developers i trust and often get a special price as well and knowing that there will be upgrades/crossgrades in the future as well.

• edited May 2020

@Bill_Brasky said:

@reasOne said:
    i personally enjoying getting a new ipad every few years 😎

Good that you support a very wasteful company that does all it can to make its customers buy new instead of getting the most out of their products. Profit over people is their motto and this attitude only lets that prevail. By not letting their products be upgradeable their e-waste footprint is massive. Apple champions themselves as a responsible company in terms of their pollution but the factories that produce all the chips, batteries and screens are just devastating to the environment not to mention the extremely low wages these factories pay their workers.

I would never openly gloat about supporting subhuman scum but you do you.

Did Apple change once you started buying their products? No, they didn't. This whole "HEY EVERYONE, I'M LEAVING. NOW...NOW...IN A BIT. SOON. I'm not leaving, I'm just not staying. I'll be around thing, is about you. Apple has always been this way. If you don't want to buy their products then ok, don't buy their products. But please, don't turn it into a virtue because you''re just making yourself look silly.

• I have fully stepped away from attention seeking pointless threads like this, and I'm not coming back... well maybe just one or twice in the next hour or so, to see if there are any responses to my post... and probably tomorrow too, at the same time, to see if anyone still loves me... ;)