Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I have fully stepped away from iOS music production

Comments

• edited May 2020

@dendy said:

1/ You can do any imaginable type of music in IPad, from scratch to final master, in superb quality. No exception. If you're ready to adapt your workflow to available tools. You have to be super flexible.

And talented.

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@jolico said:

A MacBook with half the specs of a pc will run smoother and for much much longer.

Oh, please. What a crock of s56t.

You will believe it when it happens to you, unless you’re a masochist. Then maybe after the tenth time it happens, Apple will be your safe word.

But it will be too late, because during the years when you should have been producing music, you were only practicing PC repair skills.

• @jolico said:

You’re making broad generalizations. And making me laugh, at least. I won’t derail the thread further.

• @dendy said:
    2 facts

2/ Not everybody is capable to adapt workflow to available tools. Such people are more or less suffering on iOS. Waiting for perfect set of tools, perfectly matching their preffered workflow. I'm afraid they will be waiting for long time, meanwhile people from category 1/ will make a lot of amazing music.

I do hear people say that they are waiting for specific features before using specific apps but I have never heard anyone (on this forum at least) say they are waiting for the perfect tools before they make music at all.

• @dendy said:
    2/ Not everybody is capable to adapt workflow to available tools. Such people are more or less suffering on iOS. Waiting for perfect set of tools, perfectly matching their preffered workflow. I'm afraid they will be waiting for long time, meanwhile people from category 1/ will make a lot of amazing music.

I don’t understand this work flow complain I keep on earring about. Their is so many daw and daw less options that people can’t find one to adapt too. People have done way better music with way less gear.

If your are about paying the bills and getting work out to customer on time. I agree you need the most efficient tools and iOS is probably not for you.

I started on a iPad 3 (2012) that could hardly not run anything then went to a iPad Pro 2 gen 10.5 (2017) that is incredible what I can do with it. I can’t wait to see what the 2022 iPad will do.

iOS music is in constant developemnt and it is super exciting. I feel that we are on the edge of some big change in our iOS making world.

Will Logic come to iOS, will Xcode let use program app directly on our iPad? Yes we will. It is just a question of time.

If you keep upgrading a or Mac or PC to the latest OS you will need replace it as frequently a iPad. In my head it is clear that every 4 or 5 years I need a new device. Pc, Mac or iPad.

Wow I can’t believe I went on so long. Time for me to get back to learning to mix properly.

• Hey! Let’s make this into a Mac vs PC thread!

Yeah 👊

🤣

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@gusgranite said:
    Hey! Let’s make this into a Mac vs PC thread!

Yeah 👊

🤣

I know we're not supposed to talk politics here. Is there a rule about religion?

• The obstacle is not iOS vs desktop, it is user vs workflow. The OP User made their choice for their workflow and...that’s it.

It’s not stupid or wrong or right. It’s just a direction that they are making and why.

A lot of the responses are other people’s choices and why they made them. I like those!

Other responses are objecting to the choices, which’s I don’t understand because everybody gets to choose. Further, the persons railing on the choices are actually making their own choices as well, so are they wrong? Or right?

People make their own choices, let them express it. You might actually come away with something during the process that will help you with your own path...

Unless you’re trolling. Screw those guys.

• edited May 2020

deleted

• The op's decision to go back to desktop, his reasons were interesting and good luck to him!

It was the subhuman scum line , it had never occurred to me that I might be supporting subhuman scum by occasionally making a noise with an iPad.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @kin said:
    The op's decision to go back to desktop, his reasons were interesting and good luck to him!

It was the subhuman scum line , it had never occurred to me that I might be supporting subhuman scum by occasionally making a noise with an iPad.

:D

https://youtu.be/GD6qtc2_AQA

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@jolico said:

You’re making broad generalizations. And making me laugh, at least. I won’t derail the thread further.

Without wanting going deep into this I will say my mac mini late12 (upgraded to ssd and 16gb of ram) outperforms a fujitsu stylistic q736 which I’m going to send as a gift to a friend just because win10 is a PITA and after two weeks dealing with it’s crappy audio drivers and other things I was very near to launch it to the moon through a window (oh the irony) and I’m a switcher (I started with macs on the macintel era) and I done also the go full iOS journey and now I’m going the full standalone hardware journey but there are some killerapps in this. Firstly macOS itself, then the new logic with live loops (and some will say sampler) and related to iOS lumbeat apps which the most similar (afaik) is bandinabox which is very expensive in comparision (maybe also more powerful but not better in bangforbuck IMO) or digitech trio+, singularsound beatbuddy or the new roland rc10r...

About live looping I can go even longer...

So, maybe not so cathegorical like @jolico but totally on point about wasted time on other platforms against Apple. It’s a shame but often not understood by non macOS users. You can find at this forum even some hardcore linux users saying something similar to what @jolico said and I find linux more efficient than windows in performance... but also more useful windows than linux for music making which is between 0 and 1 IMO.

• @noob said:

Perfect.

• edited May 2020

@jolico said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

@jolico said:

A MacBook with half the specs of a pc will run smoother and for much much longer.

You will believe it when it happens to you, unless you’re a masochist. Then maybe after the tenth time it happens, Apple will be your safe word.

But it will be too late, because during the years when you should have been producing music, you were only practicing PC repair skills.

I honestly have no idea who built your systems for you. I've been building and running desktops myself for years. My most recent rig was only retired because I decided 8 years was enough time for an upgrade.

My brother and me do computer maintenance here in India.
    Macs and PC's are pretty much indentical on the inside nowadays. And contrary to popular belief Macs need to be opened up and have their vents cleaned just as often as PC's in dusty environments like we have in India.

I genuinely don't see the difference between the two anymore. And sadly the latest Macos is actually worse than windows when it comes to latency not to mention it killed off some fantastic 32bit libraries for no reason so I switched to windows permanently. (Was running a hackintosh build dualbooting with macos on one of my systems)

It also runs stuff like Vcvrack worse for some reason. But that doesn't mean anything. I still believe that with a decent audio interface and a stable daw like Ableton that runs brilliantly on both oses you can make music equally well. Having an argument of Mac Vs PC is pointless. A good desktop irrespective of Mac or PC will do well as long as it has decent components inside.

• I’m not talking about cleaning and repasting.
    I’m talking about replacing drives, motherboards, graphics cards etc. that have been fried while being on Facebook.

But you are a computer technician and PCs keep you in business. Fake MacBooks too.

• @dendy said:
    2 facts

1/ You can do any imaginable type of music in IPad, from scratch to final master, in superb quality. No exception. If you're ready to adapt your workflow to available tools. You have to be super flexible.

End of thread

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@jolico said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

@jolico said:

I honestly have no idea who built your systems for you. I've been building and running desktops myself for years. My most recent rig was only retired because I decided 8 years was enough time for an upgrade.

My brother and me do computer maintenance here in India.
    Macs and PC's are pretty much indentical on the inside nowadays. And contrary to popular belief Macs need to be opened up and have their vents cleaned just as often as PC's in dusty environments like we have in India.

I genuinely don't see the difference between the two anymore. And sadly the latest Macos is actually worse than windows when it comes to latency not to mention it killed off some fantastic 32bit libraries for no reason so I switched to windows permanently. (Was running a hackintosh build dualbooting with macos on one of my systems)

It also runs stuff like Vcvrack worse for some reason. But that doesn't mean anything. I still believe that with a decent audio interface and a stable daw like Ableton that runs brilliantly on both oses you can make music equally well. Having an argument of Mac Vs PC is pointless. A good desktop irrespective of Mac or PC will do well as long as it has decent components inside.

And even being true latest macOS are near to latest windows is because macOS is going backwards not because windows forwards... and my point for killerapps and dedicated hardware.
    I’m mojave (forced by) for the latest logic pro but I know it will be the last macOS I will get probably...

• @jolico said:
    I’m not talking about cleaning and repasting.
    I’m talking about replacing drives, motherboards, graphics cards etc. that have been fried while being on Facebook.

But you are a computer technician and PCs keep you in business. Fake MacBooks too.

Lol. I'm talking about real MacBooks. We even do smd resoldering etc. Unlike the US Apple doesn't have real apple stores here. While yes they finally opened a few in India most states only have third party resellers. So when people go to them for maintenance they send them to us. Hardware wise they're just Intel based CPUs and motherboards with Corsair ram etc inside. There isn't much physical difference from a high end Alienware laptop etc. In many cases their cooling is inferior for tropical climates like ours. The very sleek design that keeps MacBooks looking so cool looking also means they choke up on dust very fast here. I admit the service you guys get in the states from apple is amazing so I can see why you'd be so loyal to them. But in some countries they do nothing for their customers. I don't really see much point me keeping on talking here on this thread so I bid you all adieu!

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@jolico said:

Lol. I'm talking about real MacBooks. We even do smd resoldering etc. Unlike the US Apple doesn't have real apple stores here. While yes they finally opened a few in India most states only have third party resellers. So when people go to them for maintenance they send them to us. Hardware wise they're just Intel based CPUs and motherboards with Corsair ram etc inside. There isn't much physical difference from a high end Alienware laptop etc. In many cases their cooling is inferior for tropical climates like ours. The very sleek design that keeps MacBooks looking so cool looking also means they choke up on dust very fast here. I admit the service you guys get in the states from apple is amazing so I can see why you'd be so loyal to them. But in some countries they do nothing for their customers. I don't really see much point me keeping on talking here on this thread so I bid you all adieu!

Well, since you mention Alienware 👽, I actually got one in 2011 the same time I got a MacBook Air.
    The MacBook Air still works like new, but in the Alienware I had to replace 5 HDDs so far, 2 of them were solid state. I also consider myself lucky that the motherboard survived over 3 years.

• edited May 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2020

@db909 said:

@dendy said:
    2 facts

End of thread

Sorry. Doesn't work that way. Nor does attempting to belittle others help anything.

1) Adapting workflow is a usability problem for many. That isn't their problem, that's the tool(s).

2) Personal capability probably has next to nothing to do with it. Tool capability has a lot to do with it.

Absolutely you can make music and profit using just an iOS device. You can make music with no tools but your body. Or add in a rubber band. Or a spoon. That doesn't make it easy, or preferable, or fun for everyone.

Options matter. That's what iOS is for people: an option. Some will find their perfect workflow. Others may try and decide the workflow, tools, or both, of another sort are better for them. Or a combination. There's no wrong choice, just better for the individual.

Currently, and this will continue to evolve, the quality of the software tools on iOS are still below those available on a PC or Mac. Eventually, I hope, the tools will be largely the same, so that it really does come down to adding another option into the mix, so to speak, to find the one that best allows each of us to be the most creative and most productive as possible.

^ Spoken as someone with 22 years of mobile UX design and research, who uses both a Mac and PC, iOS and Android, on a regular basis.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@jolico said:

Similar to how a lot of camera gear isn’t well tropicalised and will get mildew in no time, interior flocking and masking will dissolve, lenses develop fungus on the glass, etc. Some brands are very suitable, some fail very expensively in the tropics.

• @u0421793 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jolico said:

Similar to how a lot of camera gear isn’t well tropicalised and will get mildew in no time, interior flocking and masking will dissolve, lenses develop fungus on the glass, etc. Some brands are very suitable, some fail very expensively in the tropics.

Finally someone that gets it.

• Apple-haters, anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers, behringer-supporters etc.

I give up. Believe whatever you want to believe.

• @auxmux said:
    An iPad is not a computer. As much as Apple and our brains/hearts want this to be true.

...and computer is no iPad which is why I ain’t going back, just too allergic to keyboard and mouse.
    I do understand OPs frustration though. The windows between IOS updates that have been free from issues are few and far between and one should really keep the last working set up and freeze it in time..but of course not many do.

I was very happy on 13.1 until I had to update because some feature or other worked better on latest and bang, stuff started going wrong. Ah well, may Drambo save me but I ain’t going back to a pc for creative music making.

• I still don’t get why it’s an « either ... or » debate. Buy yourself hardware to be able to use both ; I bought an I connect audio 4+ and I can send and receive audio and midi on both devices. Can’t believe how it’s done seamlessly !

• edited May 2020

@jazzmess said:
    I still don’t get why it’s an « either ... or » debate. Buy yourself hardware to be able to use both ; I bought an I connect audio 4+ and I can send and receive audio and midi on both devices. Can’t believe how it’s done seamlessly !

I wish ASIO as a standard allowed unsupported aggregation. What's the lowest stable and dependable latency you can get? I considered adding an iconnect in addition to my 6i6gen2, but the required use of asio4all put a stop to that. I want as low latency as possible when playing/recording my 2 hardware synths. For mixing etc. stage I bump it up as high as I need to, up to 1024 when doing the final mix. It's been awhile since I tried asio4all and don't want to mess up the stability of my system.

If just recording without any plugins active, I can run at 96khz and .2ms to .7ms latency on the driver side (PC/DAW adding more), depending - if the only thing I'm doing is playing or recording a single hardware synth and maybe one plugin that's in zero latency mode, I can do .2ms.

I do sometimes use iOS as a MIDI input tool. Or, in the case of my SE-02 that I now have tucked behind my better synth, I use an ancient iPad with MIDI Designer Pro and an interface that allows me to control every aspect. I may not produce music on my iPhone anymore, but iOS is a handy tool. For example, I still like using Ribn on my iPhone set to the side of my Keystep.

• edited May 2020

My music making computers.

Epson HX-20
    ZX Spectrum all versions.
    Atari all versions,
    I still have two of them,
    I used Atari's for a decade before I
    started building my own computers.

P.C, Mac for over twenty years.

I got my first iPad three years ago which got stolen
    alongside my music laptop over a year ago now.

In the aftermath of that I didn't
    get a replacement laptop.

I got a replacement iPad and I'm about to get another.

Last year, my band member won an award.
    He had mastered the track by Lana Del Ray that
    had won the Song of the Decade award, last year.
    He also produced the ,'Live AID', single
    for those old enough to remember.

He liked the sound I was getting out of my iPad so much so
    that he personally pulled out his ,'Session 75', amp for the gig.

I have had no complaints concerning the sound quality of an iPad.

What I have seen over the years hasn't been to do with computers.

What I've seen is frustration and that's nothing to do with music.

Edit: The 'Session 75', was for myself, he was on bass guitar.