Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Piano Motifs by Fernando Morales

Comments

• @azul3D_Apps said:
    A new version of Piano Motifs (v4.16) is now available in the App Store. What’s new in this version:

• Added new options to the Accomp Seq Accomp Style: sus2, sus4, 7th and add9. These new options combined with the already existing Chord, Bass, Hold and Rest options allow for some really creative accompaniment sequences for your motifs.
    • Fixed issue where Accomp Seq settings weren't being reset when a Settings reset was performed.
    • Fixed issue where octave ranges weren’t being applied when certain accompaniments were used.
    • Fixed issue where in rare cases melody notes were played even though the Melody note frequency was set to 0.
    • Fixed the note duration of Bass notes in Accomp Seq, only one beat duration was used regardless of there being holds for the next beats.
    • Fixed issue where when Melody Max Note Duration was set to a value different than Any, the last note of the motif could be longer than the set value.

You can get really creative with all the new options of the Accomp Seq Accomp Style, give it a try!

If you are enjoying Piano Motifs please consider leaving a review in the App Store.

Happy New Year!

Yep, the accomp seq options feel like an app within an app. Excellent!

• edited January 2023

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@david_2017 said:
    Bought to support ;)

I could see that catching on :)

Great idea but makes me think of bra’s not bro’s 😂🤣😂

• @KJH808 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@david_2017 said:
    Bought to support ;)

I could see that catching on :)

Great idea but makes me think of bra’s not bro’s 😂🤣😂

And the soundwaves on the tee should be small in middle and bigger to the right and left for proper bra support 😝😜

• edited January 2023

A new version of Piano Motifs (v4.17) is now available. What’s new in this version:

• Improved accompaniment algorithm for richer variety of random motifs.
    • Improved melody gate (rests) algorithm for richer variety of random motifs.
    • Added Voiceover Accessibility features for Main Screen
    • Fixed issue where if a motif is imported from the file system or loaded from the library in non-Sync mode and the motif isn't played, if you toggle to Sync mode the new motif won't be played.
    • Fixed issue where if the Melody Triplets option is On, the Settings Red Light Indicator isn't turned on.
    • Fixed issue in Arrangement audition where the section's scale and key weren't displayed correctly

Enjoy!

• edited January 2023

Doug, @thesoundtestroom has created a great video highlighting the most important features of Piano Motifs. Check it out:

• edited January 2023

I don’t mean this in a bad way I think this midi app is one of the most musical algorithms but any chance in the future you would make a app that’s less piano 🎹 sounding more like midi pads for synths ? It’s like I wish this app and riffer had a baby

• heshes
    edited January 2023

deleted

• @SonicVibe said:
    I don’t mean this in a bad way I think this midi app is one of the most musical algorithms but any chance in the future you would make a app that’s less piano 🎹 sounding more like midi pads for synths ? It’s like I wish this app and riffer had a baby

A couple of suggestions:

1. Cut your tempo in half. You'll get far fewer notes.
    2. Use just the melody MIDI channel or just the accompaniment channel. Add the harmony channel for spice.
    3. Use the drone setting.
    4. After you simplify things down and get fewer notes, add Cality (if you have it) to add some Riffer-like stuff back in.
  • @SonicVibe , I totally agree with @lukesleepwalker , I’m very much of the view that in many cases it’s not the notes you start off with it’s what you do with them I.e. there are so many effects available that you can almost do anything with just a few notes. Once you have plugged some synth arps and pads into the equation the starting point more or less disappears.

Other suggestions along similar lines are …

1. Use the Slow Arpeggio Accompaniment Style
    2. Reduce the number of notes using Melody Note Frequency
    3. I like Spirangle for manipulating the notes (and it’s free)
  • @GeoTony said:
    @SonicVibe , I totally agree with @lukesleepwalker , I’m very much of the view that in many cases it’s not the notes you start off with it’s what you do with them I.e. there are so many effects available that you can almost do anything with just a few notes. Once you have plugged some synth arps and pads into the equation the starting point more or less disappears.

Other suggestions along similar lines are …

1. Use the Slow Arpeggio Accompaniment Style
    2. Reduce the number of notes using Melody Note Frequency
    3. I like Spirangle for manipulating the notes (and it’s free)

Nice, I didn't know about #7. Points 5 and 6 are excellent. Thanks for the tip!

• Great tips by @lukesleepwalker and @GeoTony.

@SonicVibe, if you play with the different settings you will see that you can change what is generated to be more suited for synth pads. Please also note that you can enable a third track which produces either a chord per bar or a drone tone that you can program and that is perfect for synth pads. I have a couple of tutorials, albeit with older versions of the app in my YouTube channel:

• edited January 2023

@SonicVibe, here’s a short example of a Piano Motifs generated track using the following settings:

BPM 30
    Accomp Style: Chord Sustain (Multibar Sustain: On)
    3rd Track: Drone
    Melody Note Frequency: 26%
    Melody Max Note Duration: 1

• @azul3D_Apps said:
    @SonicVibe, here’s a short example of a Piano Motifs generated track using the following settings:

BPM 30

Great Fernando! Yeah, PM is very versatile

• +1 what @Gavinski said, hope the video by Doug @thesoundtestroom introduced some more people to your work @azul3D_Apps 😊

• edited January 2023

Original comment removed - was struggling to get a drone to work on the 3rd track but seem to have figured it out!

• @Gavinski said:

@azul3D_Apps said:

BPM 30

Great Fernando! Yeah, PM is very versatile

@GeoTony said:
    +1 what @Gavinski said, hope the video by Doug @thesoundtestroom introduced some more people to your work @azul3D_Apps 😊

Thanks @Gavinski and @Geotony. Yes, it has been good exposure.

• edited January 2023

A new version of Piano Motifs (v4.18) is now available. What’s new in this version:

• Added Velocity Control for Melody and Accompaniment (AUv3 MIDI Plug-In Only). To access this new function, press on the Octave Shift Label, this toggles this window to be the Velocity Control window. Please note that the melody harmony velocity will be controlled by the Melody Velocity Control and the 3rd track velocity will be controlled by the Accompaniment Velocity Control.

If you are enjoying Piano Motifs and like the music it generates please consider leaving a review in the App Store.

Enjoy!

• Thanks!

Any chance that these velocity parameters could be exposed as AU parameters? Then one could automate velocity in the host.

• @bleep said:
    Thanks!

Any chance that these velocity parameters could be exposed as AU parameters? Then one could automate velocity in the host.

Hi @bleep, I'll investigate what I can do about this.

• On a general note, there are a few synths out there which default their MIDI input to only be one MIDI channel (channel 1 normally) and not OMNI (all channels). An example of this is ShapeSynth. If you were to hookup PIano Motifs to ShapeSynth, ShapeSynth would only play what PM sends on channel 1. To make sure that you get all the other channels or a specific channel you need to change ShapeSynth's MIDI settings.

• A new version of Piano Motifs (v4.20) is now available. What’s new in this version:

• Added the ability to program a Melody Sequence. When Melody Sequence is On, you can program a sequence for the melody with the following options per 1/8 beat : play, rest, hold or random. You can also program which beats you want to accent.
    • Fixed issue where when the device's audio output changes the AUv3 MIDI plug-in can stop sending MIDI.
    • Fixed crash that can occur for arrangements with sections using the 3rd track Multibar Chord Sustain and other sections using either just Chord Sustain or Drone.
    • Fixed issue where when using the MultiBar Chord Sustain Accomp Style, the 3rd track will have silent bars on the bars where the sustain is occuring.

If you find these new features valuable please consider leaving a review in the App Store, it helps a lot.

Here is a video of a track where the new Melody Sequence feature is used:

Enjoy!

• We can’t keep up with you 😊

• @GeoTony said:
    We can’t keep up with you 😊

So true!

• I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere before but what up with the tempo BPM changes in AUM demonstrated in the video?

@azul3D_Apps said:
    A new version of Piano Motifs (v4.20) is now available. What’s new in this version:

• Added the ability to program a Melody Sequence. When Melody Sequence is On, you can program a sequence for the melody with the following options per 1/8 beat : play, rest, hold or random. You can also program which beats you want to accent.
    • Fixed issue where when the device's audio output changes the AUv3 MIDI plug-in can stop sending MIDI.
    • Fixed crash that can occur for arrangements with sections using the 3rd track Multibar Chord Sustain and other sections using either just Chord Sustain or Drone.
    • Fixed issue where when using the MultiBar Chord Sustain Accomp Style, the 3rd track will have silent bars on the bars where the sustain is occuring.

If you find these new features valuable please consider leaving a review in the App Store, it helps a lot.

Here is a video of a track where the new Melody Sequence feature is used:

Enjoy!

• edited February 2023

@lukesleepwalker said:

@GeoTony said:
    We can’t keep up with you 😊

So true!

@GeoTony, @lukesleepwalker, trying to keep you busy experimenting with new stuff ☺️

• @audiblevideo said:
    I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere before but what up with the tempo BPM changes in AUM demonstrated in the video?

Hi @audiblevideo, the AUM BPM is being modulated by an LFO (LFOH!) to add some expressiveness to the piece. I created a video tutorial where both tempo and dynamics are varied for a Piano Motifs piece.

• Nice update Fernando, I really admire and appreciate your commitment!

• @Gavinski said:
    Nice update Fernando, I really admire and appreciate your commitment!

Thanks Gavin🙏☺️

• Nice update… I was hoping you exposed the pitches so I could dial in a truly unique melody. Just let me move then in 1/2 steps up or down. You Melodies are not bad but there’s usually a not or 2 I’d like to “fix”. I suppose I can just fix it in a midi editor but I don’t.

I’m sure you have a list of features queued up but this would be my request to consider.

• Thanks @McD. About your request, I don't know if I would want to send Piano Motifs in that direction. To be able to "fix" any note in the motif, something like a Piano Roll editor would be needed. I understand the convenience of editing in the same app without having to export, open another app and then edit, but I would like to leave this editing to tools that are specifically designed for that task, and let Piano Motifs concentrate at what it's good at doing: generating MIDI that is musical. The app is already starting to bloat with settings and functionality and I have to be very careful on choosing what I add to it.