Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MM-1 MuteMaster by Kai Aras

Comments

• But you could do this in AUM too I mean? For example going into ivcs, no?

• Totally. You could use the iVCS3 Envelope and VCF. Drambo is just really streamlined so that's where I thought first.

@Gavinski said:
    But you could do this in AUM too I mean? For example going into ivcs, no?

• Mmm, sounds like a tasty idea. Let us know if u try it how it goes. I still haven't bought mm-1 but I'm sure I will

• I haven't bought it yet either. Trying to choose between Model 15, Volt, RM-1, FAC Envolver and now this. Too many apps to buy 😖 At least MM-1 isn't much!

@Gavinski said:
    Mmm, sounds like a tasty idea. Let us know if u try it how it goes. I still haven't bought mm-1 but I'm sure I will

• It’s one hell of an app // thanks @ka010

• "individual instances work together using a shared state system"

I thought AUv3 instances couldn't share state unless you did dirty, unsupported hacks likely to break in the future?
    @ka010 / @brambos - has that situation changed or is that still the case?

• @reasOne said:
    so it fades in and out each channel, and you can pre determine when each channel will happen?? so it’ll automatically bring in your arp on the 4th bar or something like that?

still wondering this 🤣😎😏

• This is something which although seemingly an oddity, is great for performance or even song sequencing in AUM. It the sort of app that once you get your hands on it makes more sense. In some ways it could be the missing link in turning AUM into a timeline DAW

• Could someone maybe explain the utility section on the right? A bit of a flaw in the way Kai’s apps’ in-app help works is that...it basically never helps very much. It tells you what knobs do but that’s not always enough. It doesn’t remotely make clear the function of this section. If someone could explain how to actually use this section I’d really appreciate it. It’s also part of Shockwave that I never properly managed to grasp.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    It’s one hell of an app // thanks @ka010

Wow. Thank You.

• Looks useful, although could probably be recreated in Mozaic to some degree.

In probability mode, wouldn't it make sense to dial in pattern probabilities rather than having equal probability for any of the patterns? I could be wrong, just based on wathing the vids.

• has anyone figured out how to manually recall a pattern, other than turning the knob? I am only able to step through the list...
    Ideas?
    cheers

• Yes you could probably make a deeper Mozaic plugin than this which properly faded in faders with midi etc.
    @_ki made a script "Midi matrix Switch" which could incorporate similar things.

But the key thing here is gui and ease of use. I find the fixed Mozaic guis gets a bit monotonous and not easy to use for certain scripts compared to bespoke plugins.

• @electronicsfordogs said:
    has anyone figured out how to manually recall a pattern, other than turning the knob? I am only able to step through the list...
    Ideas?
    cheers

+1
    Would be good to have active pattern as an AU parameter, and also twice the number of channels.

• @Turntablist said:

@Gavinski said:

@aleyas said:
    Is it wrong that I'm already planning how to replicate this in Drambo 😂

Haha, tis a tiny bit bad, but nothing you'd go to hell for I'm sure 😁. Please post the patch when u do 🤫.

Please don't, use it as a learning exercise maybe, but lets not start eating to in to other developers extremely tiny niche market as it is by posting patches of commercially available iOS plugins.

No, not just a “tiny bit bad”, it’s an effing prick thing to do. Especially to announce it on a page announcing the app’s launch. That’s rotten.

So, an independent dev comes up with an interesting idea for a niche app that’s unlike anything else. The dev spends a couple of months or so working out the interface design and how it’ll work. Tests it heavily, then finally launches for the reasonable price of $5.

Then, some jackass says, ‘Hey! I think I’ll just take this dev’s idea and Frankenstein together some approximation of it in Drambo, then give it away. And to add insult to injury, they announce it on the same thread on the app’s launch day. Seriously?> @Carnbot said:

Yes you could probably make a deeper Mozaic plugin than this which properly faded in faders with midi etc.

But the key thing here is gui and ease of use. I find the fixed Mozaic guis gets a bit monotonous and not easy to use for certain scripts compared to bespoke plugins.

I’m glad someone said this! I’ve been thinking the same.

I love me some Mozaic patches, and Drambo as well.

It’s cool 😎 that users can cobble together their own and share.

However, for some uses I kinda prefer focused apps that are designed by an experienced dev.

A well designed, polished and intuitive interface cannot be understated.

It’s great that I can download and use all these “work in progress” patches for apps like Mozaic, Drambo, miRack...

But for ease of use and GUI design, I think I prefer a polished and focused app created by developers with much more experience in UX.

• He’s right you know ^

@skiphunt said:

@Turntablist said:

@Gavinski said:

@aleyas said:

Haha, tis a tiny bit bad, but nothing you'd go to hell for I'm sure 😁. Please post the patch when u do 🤫.

Please don't, use it as a learning exercise maybe, but lets not start eating to in to other developers extremely tiny niche market as it is by posting patches of commercially available iOS plugins.

No, not just a “tiny bit bad”, it’s an effing prick thing to do. Especially to announce it on a page announcing the app’s launch. That’s rotten.

So, an independent dev comes up with an interesting idea for a niche app that’s unlike anything else. The dev spends a couple of months or so working out the interface design and how it’ll work. Tests it heavily, then finally launches for the reasonable price of $5.

Then, some jackass says, ‘Hey! I think I’ll just take this dev’s idea and Frankenstein together some approximation of it in Drambo, then give it away. And to add insult to injury, they announce it on the same thread on the app’s launch day. Seriously?> @Carnbot said:

Yes you could probably make a deeper Mozaic plugin than this which properly faded in faders with midi etc.

However, for some uses I kinda prefer focused apps that are designed by an experienced dev.

It’s great that I can download and use all these “work in progress” patches for apps like Mozaic, Drambo, miRack...

But for ease of use and GUI design, I think I prefer a polished and focused app created by developers with much more experience in UX.

• Glad you liked it! Will be testing out more later today

@Charlesalbert said:

@iOSTRAKON said:

Wow. Thank You.

• @iOSTRAKON said:

that was great, thanks for sharing!

@Peblin said:
    "individual instances work together using a shared state system"

I thought AUv3 instances couldn't share state unless you did dirty, unsupported hacks likely to break in the future?

AUv3 instances can absolutely share state as long as they're instances of the same plugin, not sure who said they couldn't?

@reasOne said:

so it fades in and out each channel, and you can pre determine when each channel will happen?? so it’ll automatically bring in your arp on the 4th bar or something like that?

still wondering this 🤣😎😏

Yeah, you could do that, essentially you program patterns where you set which channel is audible and which isn't, then you choose when and how these patterns change.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    He’s right you know ^

@skiphunt said:

@Turntablist said:

@Gavinski said:

@aleyas said:

Word.

• edited April 2020

@ka010 said:

AUv3 instances can absolutely share state as long as they're instances of the same plugin, not sure who said they couldn't?

Nobody said they couldn't...

We said they could because of an undocumented side effect of all plugin instances sharing the same sandbox. As soon as Apple switches over to giving each AUv3 instance its own sandbox (which is already the case on MacOS) this feature will cease to exist :smile:

Unless you're using a different mechanism than simply sharing a global inside the sandbox ;-)

• @brambos said:

@ka010 said:

We said they could because of an undocumented side effect of all plugin instances sharing the same sandbox. As soon as Apple switches over to giving each AUv3 instance its own sandbox (which is already the case on MacOS) this feature will cease to exist :smile:

Unless you're using a different mechanism than simply sharing a global inside the sandbox ;-)

So does this mean that apps like this and 4Pockets SidechainFX will cease to work in CB3 if this change happens before CB3 gets multi-out?

• @brambos said:

@ka010 said:

Right, if that ever happens, MM-1 can easily switch to use multiple inputs instead which hopefully will be supported by more hosts at that point. Until then I think sharing a global state is a nice solution especially since it works across a wide range of host applications.

• @Gavinski said:
    Could someone maybe explain the utility section on the right? A bit of a flaw in the way Kai’s apps’ in-app help works is that...it basically never helps very much. It tells you what knobs do but that’s not always enough. It doesn’t remotely make clear the function of this section. If someone could explain how to actually use this section I’d really appreciate it. It’s also part of Shockwave that I never properly managed to grasp.

@ka010
    Same here, too. The relations between knobs aren’t always clear. Basic concepts need to be explained in more detail. A proper manual might work wonders.

• Definitely. I mean some of the relations are very clear, but some much less so, to me anyway, and I suspect to some others too.

• @ka010 said:

@brambos said:

@ka010 said:

Right, if that ever happens, MM-1 can easily switch to use multiple inputs instead which hopefully will be supported by more hosts at that point. Until then I think sharing a global state is a nice solution especially since it works across a wide range of host applications.

Indeed, Mozaic uses the same mechanism for sharing variables between instances, but I've made the caveat in the manual that I can't guarantee the feature to remain forever because Apple giveth and Apple taketh away :D

• @brambos said:
    Apple giveth and Apple taketh away :D

This is why I never update within the first week. I’m selfish enough to let other people find the bugs/features of new OS updates 😅

• Does this do a fade in as well as fade out? I'm close to buying it but if someone tells me it can do custom crossfades.. Woah

• @SpartanClownTide said:
    Does this do a fade in as well as fade out? I'm close to buying it but if someone tells me it can do custom crossfades.. Woah

Yup, but it’s controlled by one knob. However, nothing is preventing you from making edits on the fly. It would be super cool to be able to set those independently though :)

• @Pitje said:

@SpartanClownTide said:
    Does this do a fade in as well as fade out? I'm close to buying it but if someone tells me it can do custom crossfades.. Woah

Yup, but it’s controlled by one knob. However, nothing is preventing you from making edits on the fly. It would be super cool to be able to set those independently though :)

OK looks promising, so fade time is both fade in and out and set per channel?

• @SpartanClownTide said:

@Pitje said:

@SpartanClownTide said:

OK looks promising, so fade time is both fade in and out and set per channel?

Yup!

@brambos said:

Apple giveth and Apple taketh away :D
    Well put :D