Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MM-1 MuteMaster by Kai Aras

Comments

• @MikeLee said:

@Gavinski said:
    Could someone maybe explain the utility section on the right? A bit of a flaw in the way Kai’s apps’ in-app help works is that...it basically never helps very much. It tells you what knobs do but that’s not always enough. It doesn’t remotely make clear the function of this section. If someone could explain how to actually use this section I’d really appreciate it. It’s also part of Shockwave that I never properly managed to grasp.

@ka010
    Same here, too. The relations between knobs aren’t always clear. Basic concepts need to be explained in more detail. A proper manual might work wonders.

Alright then, here's the basic gist. Whenever there's a controls that says "... Source" you essentially select what makes this module do whatever it does.

For instance, the DIVIDE module takes an input and produces an output for every X triggers it receives. So with it's source control set to SEQ and the DIVISIONS control set to 4 it'll produce 1 trigger output for every 4 input triggers.

If you then set SOURCE control of another module, say the CHANCE Module to DIV, the DIVIDE module will drive the chance module which in turn can drive something else, like pattern changes via the "PATTERN SOURCE" control.

Essentially, it's a way to string together multiple modules like you'd do in a modular system just without the patch cords.

It's hard to explain but fairly straight forward once you've wrapped your head around the basic concept.

I hope this helps.

• edited April 2020

Interest piqued 😀

Oooh that cherry red metallic background is lovely. I'm not arguing about colours, it's metal cherries.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    He’s right you know ^

@skiphunt said:

@Turntablist said:

@Gavinski said:

@aleyas said:
    Is it wrong that I'm already planning how to replicate this in Drambo 😂

Haha, tis a tiny bit bad, but nothing you'd go to hell for I'm sure 😁. Please post the patch when u do 🤫.

Please don't, use it as a learning exercise maybe, but lets not start eating to in to other developers extremely tiny niche market as it is by posting patches of commercially available iOS plugins.

No, not just a “tiny bit bad”, it’s an effing prick thing to do. Especially to announce it on a page announcing the app’s launch. That’s rotten.

So, an independent dev comes up with an interesting idea for a niche app that’s unlike anything else. The dev spends a couple of months or so working out the interface design and how it’ll work. Tests it heavily, then finally launches for the reasonable price of $5.

Then, some jackass says, ‘Hey! I think I’ll just take this dev’s idea and Frankenstein together some approximation of it in Drambo, then give it away. And to add insult to injury, they announce it on the same thread on the app’s launch day. Seriously?> @Carnbot said:

Yes you could probably make a deeper Mozaic plugin than this which properly faded in faders with midi etc.
    @_ki made a script "Midi matrix Switch" which could incorporate similar things.

But the key thing here is gui and ease of use. I find the fixed Mozaic guis gets a bit monotonous and not easy to use for certain scripts compared to bespoke plugins.

I’m glad someone said this! I’ve been thinking the same.

I love me some Mozaic patches, and Drambo as well.

It’s cool 😎 that users can cobble together their own and share.

However, for some uses I kinda prefer focused apps that are designed by an experienced dev.

A well designed, polished and intuitive interface cannot be understated.

It’s great that I can download and use all these “work in progress” patches for apps like Mozaic, Drambo, miRack...

But for ease of use and GUI design, I think I prefer a polished and focused app created by developers with much more experience in UX.

+1

• @MikeLee said:

@Gavinski said:
    Could someone maybe explain the utility section on the right? A bit of a flaw in the way Kai’s apps’ in-app help works is that...it basically never helps very much. It tells you what knobs do but that’s not always enough. It doesn’t remotely make clear the function of this section. If someone could explain how to actually use this section I’d really appreciate it. It’s also part of Shockwave that I never properly managed to grasp.

@ka010
    Same here, too. The relations between knobs aren’t always clear. Basic concepts need to be explained in more detail. A proper manual might work wonders.

+1 I bought it but presently have no clue about how to use it.

• @Pitje said:
    Yup, but it’s controlled by one knob. However, nothing is preventing you from making edits on the fly. It would be super cool to be able to set those independently though :)

+1
    I was surprised to hear a fade in, especially at higher seq divisions they don’t make much sense to how I would use them. Independent fades would be very handy.

• This is an app I didn't even know I needed.

1. Would people say this is primarily for AUM?
    2. Is anyone using this in a DAW?
    3. Does this effectively add an Ableton-style scenes feature to Cubasis??
  • i’m down for seeing a good video to show this thing off 😎 videos are the most powerful way up sell an app imo.
    i’m surprised app makers don’t make more demo videos themselves as opposed to waiting for someone else to figure the app out then make one... the developer always has extra insight on how the things work... i’m not ranting that they should it just kinda shocks me you don’t see it happening much

• @jameslondon74 said:
    This is an app I didn't even know I needed.

Number one, any host that isn't built around a timeline. Effectively it mans the mixer while you're off doing other things. Composition by subtraction if you like. More hands on and jam friendly than a traditional arranger so works well within that ethos.

• @ka010 said:

@MikeLee said:

@Gavinski said:

@ka010

Alright then, here's the basic gist. Whenever there's a controls that says "... Source" you essentially select what makes this module do whatever it does.

For instance, the DIVIDE module takes an input and produces an output for every X triggers it receives. So with it's source control set to SEQ and the DIVISIONS control set to 4 it'll produce 1 trigger output for every 4 input triggers.

If you then set SOURCE control of another module, say the CHANCE Module to DIV, the DIVIDE module will drive the chance module which in turn can drive something else, like pattern changes via the "PATTERN SOURCE" control.

Essentially, it's a way to string together multiple modules like you'd do in a modular system just without the patch cords.

It's hard to explain but fairly straight forward once you've wrapped your head around the basic concept.

I hope this helps.

Vielen Dank Kai!

You really did a great job again. MM-1 will contribute tremendously to my generative groove approach.

Let me se if I got this right:
    1. I set some triggers in the sequencer
    2. I set the divide trig source to seq
    3. Set the divide divisions to 8
    4. Set the pattern source to div

That means that every 8th trigger of the sequencer moves to whatever is the next pattern, right?

But what about the chance module? There are no chance sources for the pattern or the divide trig source, just prob sources, but how does the chance source come into play here?

• Anyone get any response from KEY in the utilities?

• Thanks! Going to run some LayR [multi-out] and see what transpires

@ka010 said:

@iOSTRAKON said:
    It’s one hell of an app // thanks @ka010

that was great, thanks for sharing!

@Peblin said:
    "individual instances work together using a shared state system"

I thought AUv3 instances couldn't share state unless you did dirty, unsupported hacks likely to break in the future?
    @ka010 / @brambos - has that situation changed or is that still the case?

AUv3 instances can absolutely share state as long as they're instances of the same plugin, not sure who said they couldn't?

@reasOne said:

so it fades in and out each channel, and you can pre determine when each channel will happen?? so it’ll automatically bring in your arp on the 4th bar or something like that?

still wondering this 🤣😎😏

Yeah, you could do that, essentially you program patterns where you set which channel is audible and which isn't, then you choose when and how these patterns change.

• If information is shared across instances, can run more than one actual instance so it's managing 12 tracks?

• I believe I had 9 tracks with mm-1. I’m not sure, but I believe you can assign each to a certain channel. @ka010 would be the one to answer that ;)

@auxmux said:
    If information is shared across instances, can run more than one actual instance so it's managing 12 tracks?

• With the promise of this going Universal, I’m going to have to pick it up. I can imagine that this combined with Shockwave’s atmospheric stuff, I could get some bombass textures.

• Also @ka010, with the number of people that mentioned some kind of drum machine, I think it’s fair to say your fans have a specific interest in mind 😉

• @auxmux said:
    If information is shared across instances, can run more than one actual instance so it's managing 12 tracks?

I haven't tried but you could have 5 tracks on channel 1, 3 tracks on channel 2, etc. I'm sure you can't have a channels 1-6, then another 6 instances running another channels 1-6 independently. There's no way to tell it not to communicate with the first group.

• @SpartanClownTide said:

@jameslondon74 said:

Number one, any host that isn't built around a timeline. Effectively it mans the mixer while you're off doing other things. Composition by subtraction if you like. More hands on and jam friendly than a traditional arranger so works well within that ethos.

Thanks. And the other two questions?

Also - is this midi cc mappable? Perhaps via AUMs midi control system? I’d love to use my Arturia mini lab pads to trigger channels

• This is a cool app. Channel gating. A couple of weeks ago i did almost the same thing. You can gate channels inside AUM using MIDI (triggered by Atom|Piano Roll) And send the channels to GlitchCore :)

• so just curious. does each mute pad have a midi assignable note or cc?. so essentially you could set up 8 keys on a midi controller , and play the mute pads in the app like an instrument. or use another midi sequencer app to mute and unmute pads in whatever pattern you would like? could be cool

• @SpartanClownTide said:

@auxmux said:

I haven't tried but you could have 5 tracks on channel 1, 3 tracks on channel 2, etc. I'm sure you can't have a channels 1-6, then another 6 instances running another channels 1-6 independently. There's no way to tell it not to communicate with the first group.

Right, I meant individual mutes for every track.

• @eross said:
    so just curious. does each mute pad have a midi assignable note or cc?. so essentially you could set up 8 keys on a midi controller , and play the mute pads in the app like an instrument. or use another midi sequencer app to mute and unmute pads in whatever pattern you would like? could be cool

That’s exactly what I want to know. CC assignable pads will make this a must buy for me.

• I don’t know about cc’s etc as I never use them being purely a live player and clip launcher-I’m sure someone will have a look, or if you tell me how to find them I will.
    I wouldn’t let it bother you too much- you need this app already- the fact that it’s only a fiver is almost a gift.
    Talk about simple but brilliant 😎👍😍
    Want some fun? Set up four channels each with a Pure Acid in it with complimentary sounds but with the drums off on each. Bus them all to channel five which has Turnado in the effects slot. Channel six has another Pure Acid- but with the drums only going into GlitchCore.
    Now set the whole thing off- start tweaking the knobs on the Pure Acids whilst occasionally generating a variation or new pattern in each. In between tap the window pane in Glitchcore rhythmically and vary up the pattern using the grid. Use Turnado the way you know how to.
    ...... where did the evening go?

• @reasOne said:
    i’m down for seeing a good video to show this thing off 😎 videos are the most powerful way up sell an app imo.
    i’m surprised app makers don’t make more demo videos themselves as opposed to waiting for someone else to figure the app out then make one... the developer always has extra insight on how the things work... i’m not ranting that they should it just kinda shocks me you don’t see it happening much

Totally, for example not one of all the tutorial videos I saw on shockwave showed in any detail or clarity how to use the utility section. I’m 99% sure it’s because the people demoing it didn’t fully understand it themselves. If a developer doesn’t make a manual, they should really make a thorough video on their product, unless it is so obvious that everyone can understand.

• @MikeLee said:

@Pitje said:
    Yup, but it’s controlled by one knob. However, nothing is preventing you from making edits on the fly. It would be super cool to be able to set those independently though :)

I was surprised to hear a fade in, especially at higher seq divisions they don’t make much sense to how I would use them. Independent fades would be very handy.

Fades are indepenedant for each instance so you can have the ones with percussion on them be tight and snappy while others are faded smoothly.

@jameslondon74 said:

Not at all, it works well in any host.

1. Is anyone using this in a DAW?

Here's an example of someone using it in BM3 to great effect.

1. Does this effectively add an Ableton-style scenes feature to Cubasis??

Hm well not sure, not really I think though you could get somewhat similar results for sure.

@reasOne said:
    i’m down for seeing a good video to show this thing off 😎 videos are the most powerful way up sell an app imo.

Well, doing a good demo requires a lot of time, skill and the necessary gear. I'm sure many including myself are lacking at least one of them.
    That said, I did @djpuzzle was nice enough to provide an introduction and I think he did a great job. Have a look, you can find it on the website at http://numericalaudio.com/mm1/

• @ka010 thanks for that description Kai, much appreciated, I’ll have another stab at seeing if I fully understand it later today

• edited April 2020

I haven’t bought it yet (or read the whole thread, sry) and am wondering if switching mute patterns can be automated in BM3?

• Hey @White - could you change the title of the thread to let people know it’s out? Thanks!

• edited April 2020

I'm confused, what does this new app do?

It seems to be some kind of programable channel volume controller? But it's not clear to me what types of controls it can provide.

Does it require the transport to be running in order to run through some sorts of programable patterns of channel volume control? Or, can it somehow be programed to function of it's own internal clock of some kind.

Can the "progression" of "channel events" be programed such that the midi-on of a single key strike can start a progression. Can a progression be as simple as blending channels 1, 2, 3, and 4 in a "stepped" sequential order so long as any midi-on is currently active?

I'm personally not really interested in random. I like programable effects that can be set to conduct operations as desired by the user. So I'm not sure if this app can be set up to perform in any simplistic manner according to keyboard note input...

I'm intrigued by what this app might be able to do.
    And if it can trigger channel volumes via keyboard input... in a way analogous to how an arpeggiator plays notes in response to keyboard input, I could see this being a cool app to use as a sound design tool. Instead of the arpeggiator triggering a programed pattern of notes, it triggers a programed pattern of volume surges on various channels.

So imagine it can do this. Set up a few synths, one on each channel, and use it like a wavetable type instrument. Or set each synth to a different pitch, and it would become a type of arpeggiator, although one that plays notes from different synths.... and if it can do that, I think that would be really cool.

I need to understand more about how this app works, what it does, and how it does it, in order to imagine what I might use it for.

• Can you record the mutes and fades as automation in a DAW and then edit them for timing after?

• Oh, and this thread deserves a retitle with a link to the app in the first post @White?