Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

yonac magellan 2 is out now!!!

Comments

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:
    In order to import banks from v1 to v2 standalone and then to AUv3 I seem to have to open from Files, then export the bank again from M2, delete the old bank, then restart my iPad. Each time for each bank. Magellan is back alright, as old school as ever ;)

I used the email option and it was ‘super easy....barely and inconvenience’ :p

But how to import to AU from email? :)

Open email.
    Click on the file
    Click on Copy to Magellan 2

It’s the same result for me, no transfer to AU.... But I know now it’s the Files app is my problem. I have lots of files and sometimes refreshing an apps database doesn’t work until a restart. Files still isn’t designed for people who use lots of files yet, still quite buggy..so hoping Apple continue to improve it! :)

Yep files still has issues. I transferred all mine in one period via email. Open and closed the stand alone app and they were all in the AU straight away.

Yeah sometimes I open Files app and there’s a blank page and it needs a restart.
    Anyway, I’ve sent bug reports to Apple about it before so I’m sure they are aware....

• @reasOne said:

@Carnbot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:
    In order to import banks from v1 to v2 standalone and then to AUv3 I seem to have to open from Files, then export the bank again from M2, delete the old bank, then restart my iPad. Each time for each bank. Magellan is back alright, as old school as ever ;)

Open email.
    Click on the file

It’s the same result for me, no transfer to AU.... But I know now it’s the Files app is my problem. I have lots of files and sometimes refreshing an apps database doesn’t work until a restart. Files still isn’t designed for people who use lots of files yet, still quite buggy..so hoping Apple continue to improve it! :)

maybe delete whatever you moved to the files app, i did the email thing and they automatically popped up in my auv3 and even after rebooting they are still there

Yeah reboot was necessary for me to see the banks in AU, all good now :)

• @reasOne said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@reasOne said:
    i wouldn’t be mad if @Spidericemidas made a few magellan patches 😎😎

Haha! I got this one installed last night after Doug’s livestream. Very nice. Got a really phat warm sound to it. Might get to making something for it eventually. Currently seeing what I can get out of Kronecker, LaGrange and Alpha! 😅😅

it is very warm and thiccc!! oh man i’m struggling with alpha, everything i’ve been coming up with is tin-ey and metallic almost, and more on the thin side. it seems a bit more time consuming to get aphat sound for me but i’m not giving up! i love lagrange tho it’s been much better to me

Yeah I’m definitely finding it harder to tame Alpha for my style of patches. Everything just keeps turning out so buzzy, harsh and overdriven too easily. Don’t really like the filters. Bit limited in modulation and signal path routings at the moment, although that might be addressed in future. Best feature is the motion sequencer. Got some pleasing results, however, but not many so far. It is harder work than normal to coax smooth warm sounds out of it. But I am not giving up either! Good luck!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah I’m definitely finding it harder to tame Alpha

Alpha? Sorry, what app? There are so many.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:

Open email.
    Click on the file

Can confirm.

• How many usable Spawn2s have you saved already.
    I’ve already got 31.

• @jolico said:
    How many usable Spawn2s have you saved already.
    I’ve already got 31.

The power of Spawn. You keep pressing, adjusting and voila, straight to the depths of Magellan

• @Spidericemidas said:

@reasOne said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@reasOne said:

Haha! I got this one installed last night after Doug’s livestream. Very nice. Got a really phat warm sound to it. Might get to making something for it eventually. Currently seeing what I can get out of Kronecker, LaGrange and Alpha! 😅😅

it is very warm and thiccc!! oh man i’m struggling with alpha, everything i’ve been coming up with is tin-ey and metallic almost, and more on the thin side. it seems a bit more time consuming to get aphat sound for me but i’m not giving up! i love lagrange tho it’s been much better to me

Yeah I’m definitely finding it harder to tame Alpha for my style of patches. Everything just keeps turning out so buzzy, harsh and overdriven too easily. Don’t really like the filters. Bit limited in modulation and signal path routings at the moment, although that might be addressed in future. Best feature is the motion sequencer. Got some pleasing results, however, but not many so far. It is harder work than normal to coax smooth warm sounds out of it. But I am not giving up either! Good luck!

never give up just add more delay and reverb right? hahah its a great synth but really i just haven’t been able to do much with it that isn’tlaid out in the presets. M2 tho is keeping me very busy and the spawn is superb!!! i’ve really been able to save a great few presets just from the “expert” options

• edited February 2020

@reasOne said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@reasOne said:

don‘t dismiss thin as something bad.
    many people like the clavia nord leads because they sit great in the mix without much eq’ing whereas the access virus sounds thick on its own but mostly dominates the whole song.
    not every synthesizer has to fit all the bills.

• Osc3 cannot be chosen as modulation source.
    The LFO-speed cannot be chosen as modulation target.
    Or do I miss something?

• @Satie said:
    Osc3 cannot be chosen as modulation source.
    The LFO-speed cannot be chosen as modulation target.
    Or do I miss something?

The LFO-speed can be chosen as modulation target only in the XY-Pad.

• @kinkujin said:
    Yeah I’m definitely finding it harder to tame Alpha

BLEASS Alpha. New synth dropped recently 😊👍

• @Spidericemidas said:

@kinkujin said:
    Yeah I’m definitely finding it harder to tame Alpha

BLEASS Alpha. New synth dropped recently 😊👍

Ah yes, thanks.

• @jipumarino said:
    How does this and Kauldron compare?

MPE baby!

• @sclurbs said:

@jipumarino said:

MPE baby!

My question was very poorly stated, what I meant was: is M2 a strict superset of Kauldron? I saw a comment stating that a specific filter model in Kauldron doesn't have an equivalent in Magellan, is there anything besides that?

• @jipumarino said:

@sclurbs said:

@jipumarino said:

MPE baby!

My question was very poorly stated, what I meant was: is M2 a strict superset of Kauldron? I saw a comment stating that a specific filter model in Kauldron doesn't have an equivalent in Magellan, is there anything besides that?

That was me. I must clarify I do believe that is the case, but can’t confirm it is definitely true. Thing is though that Kauldron is a slider from Off - LP - HP - BP, while Magellan is two independent filters that can be chosen from a list of 12 offerings including passthrough. These can then be put in series or parallel. The filters in Kauldron and Magellan then have a few different options that will differentiate their sounds. I tried to get as equal a playing field as possible, but I’m not convinced that the envelopes are not slightly different too.

I would sum them up as similar in many ways, but fundamentally different in their design briefs. Kauldron is in some ways trying to simplify the approach to synthesis in many ways we might look at what the Mini Moog did. Magellan on the other hand has more in common with a few of the poly synths and more modern synths - duel filters and more complex options.

The sounds obviously have similarities due to being made by the same developers and probably sharing some code in their design of certain components, but they are different enough to warrant having both due to the different filter structures imo.

• great news! just talked to yonac and they are aware of the sync problems and said they are working to get it sorted out in the next update!!

• @reasOne said:
    great news! just talked to yonac and they are aware of the sync problems and said they are working to get it sorted out in the next update!!

That’s good news then :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:
    great news! just talked to yonac and they are aware of the sync problems and said they are working to get it sorted out in the next update!!

That’s good news then :)

quite good indeed!

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@Prog1967 said:

This is one of the features I miss the most. Another one would be the way presets were listed. Easier to navigate IMHO

So what exactly is missing - the whole touchpad or „just” the octaving function within the touchpad?

The Octaving function

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@jipumarino said:

@sclurbs said:

@jipumarino said:

MPE baby!

That was me. I must clarify I do believe that is the case, but can’t confirm it is definitely true. Thing is though that Kauldron is a slider from Off - LP - HP - BP, while Magellan is two independent filters that can be chosen from a list of 12 offerings including passthrough. These can then be put in series or parallel. The filters in Kauldron and Magellan then have a few different options that will differentiate their sounds. I tried to get as equal a playing field as possible, but I’m not convinced that the envelopes are not slightly different too.

I would sum them up as similar in many ways, but fundamentally different in their design briefs. Kauldron is in some ways trying to simplify the approach to synthesis in many ways we might look at what the Mini Moog did. Magellan on the other hand has more in common with a few of the poly synths and more modern synths - duel filters and more complex options.

The sounds obviously have similarities due to being made by the same developers and probably sharing some code in their design of certain components, but they are different enough to warrant having both due to the different filter structures imo.

Yeah it’s a fair bit deeper than Kauldron, what with the fm and timbre modules and extra filtering etc :)

• Kauldron and the rest of Yonac's apps were also terrible at handling midi. To the point where they where unusable. Now that this is out I can finally use a yonac app on the regular.

• @Prog1967 said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

So what exactly is missing - the whole touchpad or „just” the octaving function within the touchpad?

The Octaving function

I see - thanks for specifying - and yes, this is very sad ... since I loved this function in MG1

• @Carnbot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@jipumarino said:

@sclurbs said:

@jipumarino said:

MPE baby!

Yeah it’s a fair bit deeper than Kauldron, what with the fm and timbre modules and extra filtering etc :)

I've got Kauldron, Caspar, Magellan , wondering what v2 will add to the table.

I find myself short of warm, poly, keys stuff that doesn't hit the CPU too hard. I usually end up tweaking Sunrizer or using Thumbjam for that type of stuff, but if this does a decent warm poly key sound I'd be interested.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@jipumarino said:

@sclurbs said:

@jipumarino said:

MPE baby!

I find myself short of warm, poly, keys stuff that doesn't hit the CPU too hard. I usually end up tweaking Sunrizer or using Thumbjam for that type of stuff, but if this does a decent warm poly key sound I'd be interested.

Try to listen to as many sounds as possible, than try to imagine them without the fx lol. Problem with much of the YouTube stuff done for Magellan is that they use the presets. The presets are cool for what they are, but are knee deep in FX. Take off the fx and put some subtle and more suitable fx on and you can get pretty close to Eighties poly synth. The dual filter setup helps then add some movement to the sound and quality fx ( or at least tone back the overuse of it in the presets.

I made some pretty reasonable Soft Cell poly sounds with some tape fx delay and reverb using the original Magellan. Some people don’t seem to like the sound of Magellan, but I’m not sure if those people have gone beyond the presets which are like I have my pancakes - dripping in syrup!

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@jipumarino said:

@sclurbs said:

@jipumarino said:

MPE baby!

is my fav synth right now next to sunrizer. its def warm and very versatile, and auv3... i’ve ran 5 without problems so far that’s all i’ve tested

• @MonzoPro here’s 3 instances of mag2 in aum with fractal bits, multiple effects, rozeta lfo automating stuff , xequence and screen switching back n forth between apps, no crackleys!!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@jipumarino said:

@sclurbs said:

@jipumarino said:

MPE baby!

Thank you, this definitely helps :)

• I always liked Magellan. Easy to program, sounds good and has decent effects and sequencer. This seems like a good update of an old classic.

Just fired up Moog Model D planning to use it as a bassline. It does sound good, but wow I feel like that thing uses most of my CPU. Really glad we have lighter good sounding synths as well.