Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SynthMaster One v1.3 Universal Public Beta available

Comments

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

• what the colours of the Keyboard keys mean?
    • Why it’s not 5 notes and then another C note marked (where’s C4?) - like on most apps?
    • How I can change it to be G minor pentatonic rather than C minor pentatonic?
    • Why the key on the extreme right hand side of the keyboard is not playable (presumably that’s a bug or something to do with edge protection)

Mostly I’d be using within NS2 so it doesn’t matter too much. But since we’re beta testing, thought the above was worth raising.

I believe I explained the scale keyboard mapping in the video I posted.

You turned off "Fill Octave", so scale notes will be mapped consecutively (EACH SEMITONE on the keyboard will be mapped to a scale note and therefore unless your scale has 12 notes pressing C3 for instance wont sound as C3 -unless scale root note is set to C3-).

The first note of the scale is is in yellow color. If you turn on "Fill Octave" by pressing the FILL button, the scale notes will be mapped to the correct notes in one octave. Please experiement with the FILL button, you'll understand what I mean.

By default, global scale root note is set to C4. I guess for the iPhone skins I did'nt put a dropdown to set it, will try to find a place under settings tab to change it.

Thanks, but I must admit to being very confused by this.

Particularly this:

therefore unless your scale has 12 notes pressing C3 for instance wont sound as C3 -unless scale root note is set to C3-).

But I think I’ll mostly just be using the keyboard in NS2 anyway.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Particularly this:

therefore unless your scale has 12 notes pressing C3 for instance wont sound as C3 -unless scale root note is set to C3-).

Why is it confusing ???

Your scale has 5 notes, for instance C D E G A (Pentatonic). There are 12 notes/semitones layed out in an octave on your MIDI keyboard. How would you map those 5 notes to the 12 notes/semitones?

Assume you start at C4 (Root Note)

1) first method: (Fill ON) C4, D4, E4, G4, A4, next octave starts at C5
    2. second method: (Fill OFF, consecutive mapping): C4, C#4, D4, D#4, E4, next octave starts at F4.

• edited January 2020

Easy solution would be to restrict changing panels to only:

• the ‘current page’ drop down
    • the 16 panel buttons along the top
    • (and if people really require a swipe) swiping from a non-interface button region

Then... problem solved.

Ok, I removed swiping alltogether, instead put left/right buttons on the top header:

• edited January 2020

.> @kv331audio_bulent said:

• (and if people really require a swipe) swiping from a non-interface button region

Then... problem solved.

Ok, I removed swiping altogether, instead put left/right buttons on the top header:

Looks very optimal design.

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent

Today, I noticed that the iPhone version is not making any sound even though the level meters are jumping up and down on tapping keys. I tried other presets and quitting/relaunching the app too but no sound. iPhone 6s volume is turned up to 75%. What could be the reason?

EDIT: I have the iPhone version also installed on iPad and that generates sound fine.

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent

How about releasing your SM1 effects as a separate AUv3 app (similar to iFX Rack)?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34595/gospel-musicians-releases-ifx-rack-for-auv3-and-in-app-options/p1

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent

Anyway to tap on knobs and faders and quickly assign exact values by typing with a numeric keyboard?

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

Then... problem solved.

Ok, I removed swiping alltogether, instead put left/right buttons on the top header:

Great. I think that’s a good idea personally.

Presumably that means you can now make all the buttons within the containers instantly responsive to touch? (Seems like currently you have to wait after you touch them for them to become active). If so I think that should really help the overall experience and make it all feel a bit more ‘normal’.

Particularly this:

Why is it confusing ???

Your scale has 5 notes, for instance C D E G A (Pentatonic). There are 12 notes/semitones layed out in an octave on your MIDI keyboard. How would you map those 5 notes to the 12 notes/semitones?

Assume you start at C4 (Root Note)

1) first method: (Fill ON) C4, D4, E4, G4, A4, next octave starts at C5
    2. second method: (Fill OFF, consecutive mapping): C4, C#4, D4, D#4, E4, next octave starts at F4.

I’m talking about the onscreen keyboard, not a physical midi keyboard that I have plugged in because I, like hundreds of users (most users on the move on an iPhone?) don’t bother plugging in a midi keyboard.

Pretty much every music app I know that has a scale function on their keyboard just uses this to completely remove all the keys not in the scale. And displays (for pentatonic, for example) a simple 5 note octave keyboard.

Wouldn’t it be simpler to just do this? See example here from Garage band of C-minor.

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent
    Presumably that means you can now make all the buttons within the containers instantly responsive to touch? (Seems like currently you have to wait after you touch them for them to become active). If so I think that should really help the overall experience and make it all feel a bit more ‘normal’.

+1. The short delay introduced in the beta was frustrating and enough to get in the way of creative flow.

• edited January 2020

I’m talking about the onscreen keyboard, not a physical midi keyboard that I have plugged in because I, like hundreds of users (most users on the move on an iPhone?) don’t bother plugging in a midi keyboard.

Pretty much every music app I know that has a scale function on their keyboard just uses this to completely remove all the keys not in the scale. And displays (for pentatonic, for example) a simple 5 note octave keyboard.

That's equal to FILL mode turned off in SM1, yellow keys are the first notes of the scale and you ONLY play the scale notes:

and I'm not planning to change this implementation.

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent said:

That's equal to FILL mode turned off in SM1, yellow keys are the first notes of the scale and you ONLY play the scale notes:

and I'm not planning to change this implementation.

Fair enough.

I understand that c3 is the root, marked in yellow and I’m in minor pentatonic, eg here:

But I still don’t really understand why when I move the onscreen keyboard up an octave it now looks like c4 is not the root since the root note of the scale is apparently marked in yellow. Like this:

But maybe the way the scale function in the standalone just isn’t for me (and everyone else gets it). So I’ll just stick to using the scale-locked keyboard in AU hosts like NS2 and Garage Band that I understand :).

• Just downloaded new beta.

Responsiveness of buttons on iPhone 8 is now much, much improved. Works like all my other much loved apps now. You can programme patches without it constantly jumping around between panels and dials move immediately now rather than having to tap and wait for a split second before they can operate.

I personally think it was worth losing the ‘swipe through panels’ feature in exchange for this. Hope other people don’t disagree!

• edited January 2020

Hi there @kv331audio_bulent.im using the latest beta on iPad Pro 11 inch.the app is not properly scaled for the iPad Pro 11 inch.there is still space on the left and right side in SynthMaster one.would be nice to see a skin similar to the iPad Pro 12 inch

• @Paa89 said:
    Hi there @kv331audio_bulent.im using the latest beta on iPad Pro 11 inch.the app is not properly scaled for the iPad Pro 11 inch.there is still space on the left and right side in SynthMaster one.would be nice to see a skin similar to the iPad Pro 12 inch![]

Hi there

It will be added in our next update, after our official v1.3 release.

• Thanks @kv331audio_bulent menus are mostly much improved in beta 1.3.1. Thanks for putting the work in on that.

I dont seem to be able to select a waveform at all for the LFO now. All the other settings/dials work but i click on the little waveform window and nothing happens.

Also the ARP window notes are still a festival of repeatedly clicking notes to try and get it to add or remove a note.

And i just have to ask. The notes for the Arp seem to be set against the scale in the little window rather than the notes held on the main keyboard? I can hear that the overall sequence is transposed by the first key held on the main keyboard but the following notes, if you hold a chord down, seem to be ignored. That isn’t how arps generally work surely?

Besides those 3 issues SM is much more usable now on my iPad 2018 and sounds great!

• @Jocphone said:
    Thanks @kv331audio_bulent menus are mostly much improved in beta 1.3.1. Thanks for putting the work in on that.

I dont seem to be able to select a waveform at all for the LFO now. All the other settings/dials work but i click on the little waveform window and nothing happens.

Also the ARP window notes are still a festival of repeatedly clicking notes to try and get it to add or remove a note.

Fixing those issues now. Those will be in our official release.

@Paa89 said:
    Hi there @kv331audio_bulent.im using the latest beta on iPad Pro 11 inch.the app is not properly scaled for the iPad Pro 11 inch.there is still space on the left and right side in SynthMaster one.would be nice to see a skin similar to the iPad Pro 12 inch![]

Hi there

It will be added in our next update, after our official v1.3 release.

Awesome.thanks for the reply..have a nice day

@Jocphone said:
    Thanks @kv331audio_bulent menus are mostly much improved in beta 1.3.1. Thanks for putting the work in on that.

Fixing those issues now. Those will be in our official release.

Thank you!

Your thoughts on the notes that the ARP uses..?

• @Jocphone said:

I guess you're playing a sequence. In "Sequence" mode, the arp accepts only a single note, and based on that note, it plays the sequence.

@Jocphone said:

I guess you're playing a sequence. In "Sequence" mode, the arp accepts only a single note, and based on that note, it plays the sequence.

Ah I see. Hadn't pressed that button that said SEQ. Must have been set to that by the preset I chose. Good stuff and nice range of modes to the ARP.

• @kv331audio_bulent A minor issue - while scrolling down presets in browser, if I tap and hold, it stops scrolling but keeps scrolling when I release finger

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent Expanded keyboards still close on swiping up for Y-Axis.

EDIT: Also, swiping left on keyboard in AU closes keyboard

• .> @MobileMusic said:

@kv331audio_bulent
    I Just tried exporting a preset from preset browser cog wheel menu to Google Drive through Files. SM1 crashed. I tried again and it did not crash but the file is not getting uploaded to GD

Tested this again - SM1 does not crash but it does not upload the preset to google drive

• edited January 2020

@MobileMusic said:

Tested this again - SM1 does not crash but it does not upload the preset to google drive

I will test with OneDrive and Google Drive as well. So far only tested with iCloud.

EDIT: Just tested with OneDrive and Google Drive, exporting presets to those file providers worked as well.

• edited January 2020

Just submitted SynthMaster One build 8678 (Universal) to AppStore for review. Will submit the iPhone only version tomorrow morning. I hope they approve it quickly! The iPhone version will be released at the intro price of $1.99 through January ($4.99 regular price)

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Just submitted SynthMaster One build 8678 (Universal) to AppStore for review. Will submit the iPhone only version tomorrow morning. I hope they approve it quickly! The iPhone version will be released at the intro price of $1.99 through January ($4.99 regular price)

WOW!! Less than two dollars for a desktop class app!!
    It can’t get any better...

• edited January 2020

@MobileMusic said:

On the iPhone, polyphony is limited to 8, but still that's something, since poly analog synths usually have 8 polyphony :) Also, number of factory presets is limited to 300 (200 + 100 extra when user registers). But users can purchase the desktop factory presets upgrade any time.

@MobileMusic said:

On the iPhone, polyphony is limited to 8, but still that's something, since poly analog synths usually have 8 polyphony :) Also, number of factory presets is limited to 300 (200 + 100 extra when user registers). But users can purchase the desktop factory presets upgrade any time.

Yeah polyphony is current iPhone hardware-related limitation. Maybe in future, you would be able to increase it to 16 when specs go up.

• Awesome work @kv331audio_bulent

Thanks for being so patient with all us demanding users here on AB forums :)

This discussion has been closed.