Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SynthMaster One v1.3 Universal Public Beta available

Comments

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Thanks. I know it was possible on an iPad. But couldn’t see a way to import on iPhone.

Now it's possible with the import waveforms menu:

Thanks. Much appreciated!

I wonder how close I can get SM One sounding like Animoog if I put some Animoog wavetables in there...

@anickt said:
    Is anyone else seeing this? When I import a waveform or wavetable it will not load into Osc 1. It will load into Osc 1 Sub, Osc 2, Osc 2 Sub and into LFO’s. I’ve tried a few different things and it’s only Osc 1 which does this. I’ve reported it but curious to see if anyone else sees it. User waveforms and wavetables are a very powerful feature of SM1.

I will debug that tomorrow, no worries it will be fixed :)

Thanks! I love what I’m getting with some Serum wavetables I found!

• @yowza said:
    I know you probably don’t want to support this but I installed SM1 in my iPhone 5s and it sounds great but the main window is chopped off on the right side so you can’t edit or easily get to controls and has black borders on both sides. I realize you might not want to support or fix this but thought I’d throw it out there.

Check your zoom factor in Display Brightness settings - it solved for me

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36283/synthmaster-one-iphone-beta-on-testflight/p2

• @espiegel123 said:

@Jocphone said:

@anickt said:

@Jocphone said:
    Wish you luck with the beta but i deleted it because i can’t get on with the interface. Too many ignored/unheard taps on the menus.

Try the new beta. It’s much better.

That was in the new beta.

Any chance you could screen record so the dev can see and address the issues? Videos often are very helpful to a dev in seeing /understanding an issue that they might not understand from a description.

Ok i reinstalled the beta. The menus are still pretty unresponsive. I know to screen record but i couldnt find out how to show taps on the screen. Googling didn't surface anything obvious.

• @Jocphone said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Jocphone said:

@anickt said:

@Jocphone said:
    Wish you luck with the beta but i deleted it because i can’t get on with the interface. Too many ignored/unheard taps on the menus.

Try the new beta. It’s much better.

That was in the new beta.

Any chance you could screen record so the dev can see and address the issues? Videos often are very helpful to a dev in seeing /understanding an issue that they might not understand from a description.

Ok i reinstalled the beta. The menus are still pretty unresponsive. I know to screen record but i couldnt find out how to show taps on the screen. Googling didn't surface anything obvious.

You use adaptive touch. Here is a YouTube video describing the setup:

• There is an issue with preset selection IF the preset is like this one at the bottom. I have to exit the preset browser and use the arrows in main view to get to the bottom preset. iPhone 8 latest iOS and latest beta

• Ok so i think i may have found the issue i am having with the menus. It appears that they work a great deal more reliably when you tap and remove your finger very quickly. It’s still a little unnatural and i don’t really like having to peck at the interface like that but at least it works 95% reliably this way.

• @Jocphone said:
    Ok so i think i may have found the issue i am having with the menus. It appears that they work a great deal more reliably when you tap and remove your finger very quickly. It’s still a little unnatural and i don’t really like having to peck at the interface like that but at least it works 95% reliably this way.

I fixed this one already. I increased the tap threshold to 300 milliseconds, the previous setting (Apple's own tap detection) was around 50-100 milliseconds. I'll upload the next build tomorrow.

• Sweet! Love this awesome synth! Great work Bulent.😌🎹

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@Jocphone said:
    Ok so i think i may have found the issue i am having with the menus. It appears that they work a great deal more reliably when you tap and remove your finger very quickly. It’s still a little unnatural and i don’t really like having to peck at the interface like that but at least it works 95% reliably this way.

I fixed this one already. I increased the tap threshold to 300 milliseconds, the previous setting (Apple's own tap detection) was around 50-100 milliseconds. I'll upload the next build tomorrow.

Having had a decent go on the latest beta last night I would agree that the UI in that beta has some serious issues in terms of buttons and menus and other UI elements not performing properly. I’m on an iPhone 8S plus on iOS13. No other apps I use have these issues.

I really want to dig into programming SM One because I see huge potential and it sounds great so please understand this feedback comes from a place of positivity towards SM One!

Specifics I’ve found are:

• menus need their options ‘pecked’ at very quickly otherwise they simply don’t work.
    • Dials need to be touched for a short period of time before they can be turned - if you touch and move immediately as is natural to do so they often don’t work
    • A great deal of the time I found that the panel I was on e.g OSC1 or OSC2 would suddenly, while adjusting a control, flick disconcertingly to another panel entirely eg take me back to ‘main’. This happens a lot, is the most serious issue IMO and makes me not want to spend time with the app because it’s so annoying and time consuming to get back to where you were. It makes it feel really ‘broken’.
    • I really can’t get on with the scale function. There’s a million scales I’ll never use but to get the keyboard to just be in a simple minor (Aeolian) scale has thus far eluded me. It’s so horribly complicated. And once you’re on a scale on the keyboard what do the colours mean? Why do keys outside the scale still appear to show. And what does ‘fill’ mean. Why is it so hard just to put the keyboard into D minor!

I would respectfully suggest that a different approach to the UI elements is taken by the dev. It sounds like you’re trying to use timing of touch to predict what’s trying to be done by the user. So you’re perhaps thinking that a tap and move straight away suggests they want to slide to another panel entirely whereas a tap, hold, slight pause and then move suggests they want to move a dial instead. I’m not sure why you need to involve timing in the menu selections, but it seems that’s also what’s happening.

I think this is always going to cause a negative experience some of the time.

Wouldn’t it be better to just have a tap and move on a dial or a selection on a menu drop down always, always mean just one thing. I’d suggest that swiping on a panel left or right to move between panels must be done on a non-button part of the interface (an approach common to most DAWs when sliding the mixer page left and right around lots of tracks).

In short, I really would just have each pixel area of the interface only do one thing. And not try to using the timing of taps to interpret what the user is trying to do.

Ps I’d guess that iPhone users are having many more problems with this that iPad users because there’s more interface space on the iPad and you might be ‘doubling up’ tap operations more on the iPhone than on the iPad because of this.

Anyway, just my 2 pence and I’m not an iOS app developer but right now, personally, I’m finding the beta pretty tough and unpredictable to use UI-wise on my Plus size phone. Whereas every other music app I have doesn’t have these problems. (Including pretty dense apps like Gadget and NanoStudio and synths like Animoog which a fair few buttons to use for programming).

On the plus side I did get some third party wavetables imported though and made a preset or two with these. That was nice!

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@Jocphone said:

Agree with everything you said. The sounds are so amazing, please make the UI easier to use, please.

• @kv331audio_bulent Using big arrows on either side of the panels (like those in top header or angle brackets like those in Mod Matrix old version SM1) to tap on for navigation across panels may be an idea and not allow to swipe on the knobs/faders to navigate. Mod Matrix in beta does not have those angle brackets now.

• @RJB said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@Jocphone said:

Agree with everything you said. The sounds are so amazing, please make the UI easier to use, please.

I just downloaded the current Universal beta to my iPhone 6 on iOS 12.4.4. It’s absolutely fine. Then I tried my 2019 iPad under iOS 13.3 just to be sure. Sorry to say... it’s absolutely fine. No idea why your experience is so different.

• Maybe an iPhone 8 thing? Or an iPhone ‘Plus’ thing.

It’s certainly pretty screwy if you start trying to actually program anything with it on iPhone 8plus with iOS13.3.

No other app has these issues.

• @MobileMusic said:
    @kv331audio_bulent Using big arrows on either side of the panels (like those in top header or angle brackets like those in Mod Matrix old version SM1) to tap on for navigation across panels may be an idea and not allow to swipe on the knobs/faders to navigate. Mod Matrix in beta does not have those angle brackets now.

You can choose the current page from the "Current Page" dropdown already.

• In short if you:

• fix the menu option tap thing that has apparently already been fixed
    • stop button areas being allowed to also be used to swipe the panels left and right

...then about 90% of the UI issues would probably be solved.

In short if you:

• stop button areas being allowed to also be used to swipe the panels left and right

Just tried swiping on my phone. As long as I don’t put my finger down and then swipe but actually begin the swiping motion with my finger off screen and lift it as I reach the left side of the screen it works fine. Kind of like what you do when you’re spray painting. FWIW

@MobileMusic said:
    @kv331audio_bulent Using big arrows on either side of the panels (like those in top header or angle brackets like those in Mod Matrix old version SM1) to tap on for navigation across panels may be an idea and not allow to swipe on the knobs/faders to navigate. Mod Matrix in beta does not have those angle brackets now.

You can choose the current page from the "Current Page" dropdown already.

I think you misunderstand. The issue is that we are having a swipe between panels happen when we don’t want it to happen. It’s getting confused with operating buttons within each pattern.

• Any lateral movement on a UI element, risks the panels being swiped left or right.

Doesn’t happen all the time, but enough to make it really annoying.

I’d video all this and post via YouTube but I just tried and it’s a meaningless video because you can’t tell what I’m taping or if I’m meaning to swipe or to use a button.

• edited January 2020

Another gripe :)...

This pic shows the keyboard in C minor pentatonic.

Could someone explain

• what the colours of the Keyboard keys mean?
    • Why it’s not 5 notes and then another C note marked (where’s C4?) - like on most apps?
    • How I can change it to be G minor pentatonic rather than C minor pentatonic?
    • Why the key on the extreme right hand side of the keyboard is not playable (presumably that’s a bug or something to do with edge protection)

Mostly I’d be using within NS2 so it doesn’t matter too much. But since we’re beta testing, thought the above was worth raising.

• @anickt said:

In short if you:

Just tried swiping on my phone. As long as I don’t put my finger down and then swipe but actually begin the swiping motion with my finger off screen and lift it as I reach the left side of the screen it works fine. Kind of like what you do when you’re spray painting. FWIW

Fair enough. But I’d suggest that’s not really the best UI solution. It should be fool proof and ‘just work’ for the user without them having to think about it. When you’re in the heat of using the app you really, really don’t want it to start flipping panels when that’s not what you intended.

Easy solution would be to restrict changing panels to only:

• the ‘current page’ drop down
    • the 16 panel buttons along the top
    • (and if people really require a swipe) swiping from a non-interface button region

Then... problem solved.

• edited January 2020

I presume the cut off items right at the base of this screen (with the diamonds by them) shouldn’t be showing?

This is NS2 - IPhone 8 Plus - iOS 13

I presume the cut off items right at the base of this screen (with the diamonds by them) shouldn’t be showing?

Unfortunately SM1 won’t load into NS2 on my iPhone 6 (nor would I expect it to) so I can’t help you with this. 😆

• @anickt said:

Unfortunately SM1 won’t load into NS2 on my iPhone 6 (nor would I expect it to) so I can’t help you with this. 😆

I’ve figured out that they are actually sources of modulation. You can drag them onto any button. Actually very useful! (They’re just cut off by a few pixels at the bottom which looks a little imperfect).

• edited January 2020

I’ve also noticed far fewer ‘touch and gesture’ issues with the AU version inside NS2 as opposed to the stand alone version.

For example the ‘drop down menu item tap’ problem is far less prevalent in the AU.

I’ve also noticed far fewer ‘touch and gesture’ issues with the AU version inside NS2 as opposed to the stand alone version.

For example the ‘drop down menu item tap’ problem is far less prevalent in the AU. Drop down menus seem to work fine In the AU actually.

NS2 is my host of choice and I find most AU instruments that I like to use work pretty well. My biggest problem is too much choice!

• Excellent feedback @Matt_Fletcher_2000 and I fully concur with everything you have put up for consideration. My experience of the UI is identical. Luckily @kv331audio_bulent says the timing issue is made less of an issue in the next build but I do think your suggestions make a lot of sense.

• edited January 2020

• (and if people really require a swipe) swiping from a non-interface button region

Then... problem solved.

The problem with swipe detection for the container views is that you can not really control if swipe starts from a button or not. and I don't want to turn it off alltogether.

But, for skins that the tab buttons are already visible, I can disable swipe for the containers (iPhone 7-8 Plus, 11/XR skins). For iPhone 6-7-8 skin, swipe will be active to change tabs)

• edited January 2020

• what the colours of the Keyboard keys mean?
    • Why it’s not 5 notes and then another C note marked (where’s C4?) - like on most apps?
    • How I can change it to be G minor pentatonic rather than C minor pentatonic?
    • Why the key on the extreme right hand side of the keyboard is not playable (presumably that’s a bug or something to do with edge protection)

Mostly I’d be using within NS2 so it doesn’t matter too much. But since we’re beta testing, thought the above was worth raising.

I believe I explained the scale keyboard mapping in the video I posted.

You turned off "Fill Octave", so scale notes will be mapped consecutively (EACH SEMITONE on the keyboard will be mapped to a scale note and therefore unless your scale has 12 notes pressing C3 for instance wont sound as C3 -unless scale root note is set to C3-).

The first note of the scale is is in yellow color. If you turn on "Fill Octave" by pressing the FILL button, the scale notes will be mapped to the correct notes in one octave. Please experiement with the FILL button, you'll understand what I mean.

By default, global scale root note is set to C4. I guess for the iPhone skins I did'nt put a dropdown to set it, will try to find a place under settings tab to change it.

Then... problem solved.

But, for skins that the tab buttons are already visible, I can disable swipe for the containers (iPhone 7-8 Plus, 11/XR skins). For iPhone 6-7-8 skin, swipe will be active to change tabs)

Personally I think that would be a very good idea. Maybe an option in settings to ‘disable swipe for synth panels’?

This discussion has been closed.