Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VoxSyn Pro - Voice Controlled Synthesizer and Vocoder by Virsyn

Comments

• @robertreynolds said:

@TimRussell said:
    Anyone using this yet? If so, how is it?

It’s interesting but I’m not really sure I get it completely (or get how it’s different from Voxsyn which I don’t own). I kept trying to use it as a traditional vocoder by pressing the keys but they don’t seem to actually do anything. You just sing, talk or make sounds into it. There is an input sensitivity dial which was set really high on first install, resulting in lots of continuous random sounds generated from background audio. Once I turned it down, it started only picking up my voice. The presets are pretty good, some expanding beyond the typical vocoder sound. I may actually use this in a composition at some point but even if I don’t, it’s pretty fun just to sing into.

Just switch off "Voice/MIDI" then you can use the built in hex keyboard or MIDI Notes to vocode in traditional style.

• Hopefully Doug is able to make a video of this soon. Am keen to see if it has any advantages over DerVoco which is what I currently use.

• Honestly, I don't really have a problem paying for this again in a bundle. I bought the IAA one around the time it launched. It's worked fine most of the time since. I think there was one iOS update that might've killed it, but it was updated and worked after that. I just tried it again and it's working fine in apeMatix iOS13.2.3.

So, paying a nominal upgrade fee to bring it up to AUv3 seems reasonable and fair to me.

• It is quite common to think that once you buy an app, you are entitled to lifetime updates. It is simply unthinkable that a dev guarantees continuous updates, even after years, without ever having any income from this. A customer does not expect to have a new updated iPad model, free every year, because he once bought one. The work that is behind the maintenance of a software must be paid, because the people of that company do not work for free as anyone. If we do not understand this and we do not support developers, then let's not complain if the apps are no longer updated and even become abandonware. This is my humble opinion, of course.

• AU3 version of this app in Cubasis seems odd. Inserted as fx in audio track results in no sound. There are no presets and randomizer does nothing. Stand alone works as expected including presets. Replaced the Au3 with DerVoco and it works.

How strange.

• @gusgranite said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    And like retronyms, virsyn is now a ‘hard pass’ company to me. The business practice model of these companies are not good enough for me to support them with anymore of my cash.

How so?

I don't regard either company highly in my personal opinion.

• @VirSyn said:

@robertreynolds said:

@TimRussell said:

It’s interesting but I’m not really sure I get it completely (or get how it’s different from Voxsyn which I don’t own). I kept trying to use it as a traditional vocoder by pressing the keys but they don’t seem to actually do anything. You just sing, talk or make sounds into it. There is an input sensitivity dial which was set really high on first install, resulting in lots of continuous random sounds generated from background audio. Once I turned it down, it started only picking up my voice. The presets are pretty good, some expanding beyond the typical vocoder sound. I may actually use this in a composition at some point but even if I don’t, it’s pretty fun just to sing into.

Just switch off "Voice/MIDI" then you can use the built in hex keyboard or MIDI Notes to vocode in traditional style.

I am enjoying VoxSyn PRo but have run into some problems on my iPad gen 6 with iOS 12.3.1:

• in AUM , the music effect version AU won’t load. It seems to crash or otherwise fail to load
    • There seems no way to route midi to the VoxSyn audio effect AU that does load
    • When VoxSyn Pro is used standalone so that I can route midi to it from a Velocity keyboard VoxSyn seems to crash when in the background. Background audio is on. I am directing the keyboard’s midi to VoxSyn, but it doesn’t work and if I switch to VoxSyn, it launches as if it had crashes.
  • @Faland said:
    It is quite common to think that once you buy an app, you are entitled to lifetime updates.

I bought it less than a year ago and now it has apparently been abandoned. If a developer is moving to a subscription model, he should be honest and upfront about it, instead of screwing his existing customers.

• Bundle is available. Good deal

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Faland said:
    It is quite common to think that once you buy an app, you are entitled to lifetime updates.

I bought it less than a year ago and now it has apparently been abandoned. If a developer is moving to a subscription model, he should be honest and upfront about it, instead of screwing his existing customers.

This doesn't seem like a case of "screwing customers". He is offering an inexpensive option for people to get the new version. This new version has new features that seem worth the modest upgrade price.

A good rule of thumb is to make purchasing decisions based on whether the price is worth it for what you get at the time of purchase and forget about what happens in the future. If it was worth it then, it is still worth it. And you got a year of use out of it. And, if you want them, you can have some new features for a few dollars.

I'd hardly call this a subscription model, either.

iOS music developers don't earn a lot and the buy once, get free upgrades model isn't tenable for the sorts of niche apps that we love.

On desktop, periodic paid upgrades are critical to staying afloat.

• The AU does not appear to be the full app. @VirSyn can you confirm, please?

• @VirSyn said:

@TimRussell said:
    I wonder how this will differ from their Matrix Vocoder

Main difference to Matrix + external synthesizer ( and every other vocoder with external carrier i know of) ist that the pitch follows over the whole note length and not only the triggered start note of the synth.

Hello @VirSyn,

And between MatrixVocoder and Voxsyn, which one is likely to be less CPU-consuming?
    (matrix Vocoder has a tendency to make my new iPad mini DSP load spike heavily)

• @skiphunt said:
    Honestly, I don't really have a problem paying for this again in a bundle. I bought the IAA one around the time it launched. It's worked fine most of the time since. I think there was one iOS update that might've killed it, but it was updated and worked after that. I just tried it again and it's working fine in apeMatix iOS13.2.3.

So, paying a nominal upgrade fee to bring it up to AUv3 seems reasonable and fair to me.

@osc101 said:
    AU3 version of this app in Cubasis seems odd. Inserted as fx in audio track results in no sound. There are no presets and randomizer does nothing. Stand alone works as expected including presets. Replaced the Au3 with DerVoco and it works.

How strange.

The AU version needs to be "filled with presets" one time by launching the standalone VoxSyn Pro App. Then
    it will work as expected.

• The VoxSyn Bundle is now available too: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/id1491013251?mt=8

Now it's possible for VoxSyn users to update to VoxSyn Pro for much less.

We have put the bundle for review to Apple a minute after releasing VoxSyn Pro.
    Unfortunately it’s not possible to do it before that they can be released in sync. The review process then takes a couple of days in the worst case.

• I can’t find the randomizer dice.

• @jolico said:
    I can’t find the randomizer dice.

Here you go:

• @ttk said:

@VirSyn said:

@TimRussell said:
    I wonder how this will differ from their Matrix Vocoder

Main difference to Matrix + external synthesizer ( and every other vocoder with external carrier i know of) ist that the pitch follows over the whole note length and not only the triggered start note of the synth.

Hello @VirSyn,

And between MatrixVocoder and Voxsyn, which one is likely to be less CPU-consuming?
    (matrix Vocoder has a tendency to make my new iPad mini DSP load spike heavily)

They are about the same. Shouldn't have real spikes, will have a look at Matrix.

• @espiegel123 said:

@VirSyn said:

@robertreynolds said:

@TimRussell said:

I am enjoying VoxSyn PRo but have run into some problems on my iPad gen 6 with iOS 12.3.1:

• in AUM , the music effect version AU won’t load. It seems to crash or otherwise fail to load
    • There seems no way to route midi to the VoxSyn audio effect AU that does load
    • When VoxSyn Pro is used standalone so that I can route midi to it from a Velocity keyboard VoxSyn seems to crash when in the background. Background audio is on. I am directing the keyboard’s midi to VoxSyn, but it doesn’t work and if I switch to VoxSyn, it launches as if it had crashes.

Update regarding Music effect AU is on the way. Sorry about that.
    But couldn't reproduce the background problem. Will have to investigate further

• @gusgranite said:
    The AU does not appear to be the full app. @VirSyn can you confirm, please?

They have the same functionality. What do you think is missing ?

• @VirSyn said:

@jolico said:
    I can’t find the randomizer dice.

Here you go:

It doesn’t appear on my iPhone 6s.

• @VirSyn said:

@skiphunt said:
    Honestly, I don't really have a problem paying for this again in a bundle. I bought the IAA one around the time it launched. It's worked fine most of the time since. I think there was one iOS update that might've killed it, but it was updated and worked after that. I just tried it again and it's working fine in apeMatix iOS13.2.3.

@osc101 said:
    AU3 version of this app in Cubasis seems odd. Inserted as fx in audio track results in no sound. There are no presets and randomizer does nothing. Stand alone works as expected including presets. Replaced the Au3 with DerVoco and it works.

How strange.

The AU version needs to be "filled with presets" one time by launching the standalone VoxSyn Pro App. Then

I appreciate the response. After doing that and selecting a preset, the entire Au3 crashed/disappeared. Mind you, this is in a test Cubasis project where VoxSyn is the only Au3 loaded (latest iPad Pro 12.9 with latest IOS)

I strongly recommend more testing and an update to fix the issues.

• @osc101 said:

@VirSyn said:

@skiphunt said:

@osc101 said:

How strange.

I appreciate the response. After doing that and selecting a preset, the entire Au3 crashed/disappeared. Mind you, this is in a test Cubasis project where VoxSyn is the only Au3 loaded (latest iPad Pro 12.9 with latest IOS)

Sorry about that, i forgot to mention that this is also fixed in the update i mentioned above. Thus update is currently waiting for review and should be available within 24h

• @osc101 said:

@VirSyn said:

@skiphunt said:

@osc101 said:

How strange.

The AU crashes in Auria too, even after opening the app as standalone to allow it to populate presets.

• edited December 2019

I was willing to give this a go, since I have the original voxsyn, but I can't understand the bundle price.

I bought voxsyn for 6,99€
    The voxsyn pro lists for 7,99€
    Then the bundle lists for 10,99€? WTF apple?

• edited December 2019

@pedro said:
    I was willing to give this a go, since I have the original voxsyn, but I can't understand the bundle price.

Same for me...
    but if you wait ( along time for me) on the app store page, the price change to 4€
    It's bug from apple I already experience it many times...

• @Jeezs said:

@pedro said:

Same for me...
    but if you wait ( along time for me) on the app store page, the price change to 4€

When I first went to App Store price was $6.99. After about 5 minutes it was $3.00. I’ll take it! 😎

• edited December 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Faland said:

This doesn't seem like a case of "screwing customers". He is offering an inexpensive option for people to get the new version. This new version has new features that seem worth the modest upgrade price.

A good rule of thumb is to make purchasing decisions based on whether the price is worth it for what you get at the time of purchase and forget about what happens in the future. If it was worth it then, it is still worth it. And you got a year of use out of it. And, if you want them, you can have some new features for a few dollars.

I'd hardly call this a subscription model, either.

iOS music developers don't earn a lot and the buy once, get free upgrades model isn't tenable for the sorts of niche apps that we love.

On desktop, periodic paid upgrades are critical to staying afloat.

No, I didn’t get a year of use out of it. It stopped working. He apparently didn’t update it for three years. And now wants to be paid again for an update that doesn’t work either.

• With bundle prices you have to pull the web page up and down for it to adjust ! It’s £5 in UK for the bundle if you own the original non pro.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    With bundle prices you have to pull the web page up and down for it to adjust ! It’s £5 in UK for the bundle if you own the original non pro.

Yes. Go all the way down to the bottom and then all the way to the top. The price updates instantly.

• @anickt said:

@Jeezs said:

@pedro said:

Same for me...

When I first went to App Store price was $6.99. After about 5 minutes it was $3.00. I’ll take it! 😎

eu = €4
    us = $3
    uk = £5 ( ie: $6.6 or €6 at todays rates ). once again Englishness becomes a form of financial disablement.. back in the fridge Boris!!!