Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioKit L7 - Live Looper by Coda Labs Incorporated

Comments

• @Gravitas said:

Any news on stereo recording and more importantly Happy New Year.

Happy New Year! We're aiming to include stereo recording in the same update.

• @danielfromcodalabs said:

@Gravitas said:

Any news on stereo recording and more importantly Happy New Year.

Happy New Year! We're aiming to include stereo recording in the same update.

Stereo recording???

Next update?

Yeeeeeaaaahhhh!!!!!

Wicked.

• I didn’t realize it was going to get auv3, just grabbed it in anticipation for that. That’s awesome. Will it be just like the standalone version as an audio unit?

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    I didn’t realize it was going to get auv3, just grabbed it in anticipation for that. That’s awesome. Will it be just like the standalone version as an audio unit?

I didn't either.
    The whole landscape of looping has just morphed for me.
    Auv3 turns L7 into an almost modular looping DAW
    dependant upon the limits of our iPad's.

If it is in anyway like the standalone which
    it most probably will be then simply wow.

The next thing is going to be multiple ins and outs.

Being patient as always.

• Being AUv3 (if right coded) means one dedicated lane/plugin for each AB3/AUM audio channel... syncable and, lets hope, with dedicated start/stop (or just mute) for each one.
    Now add more than one clip/slot instead just overdubbing and you will get something near to Ableton/GTL workflow for looping artists.

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    I didn’t realize it was going to get auv3, just grabbed it in anticipation for that. That’s awesome. Will it be just like the standalone version as an audio unit?

Yep, pretty much identical.

@JackDwyerburger said:

You are awesome.

• edited January 2020

Just picked this up in anticipation for the au version. It’s very slick! Timestretch and reverse are very welcome features.

This might provide another possible solution to the ‘missing audio tracks in AUM’ problem @wim 🤷‍♂️

• @royor said:

@david_svrjcek said:
    a mute button for the metronome would be my only immediate need from this app. Other wise should be nice compliment to Loopy HD.

Take a look at the top right corner.. it’s there but very tiny.. I think it would be more useful right beside the play button + about the same size..

Ahh yes, I see it on the iPad version, great. It’s not in my iPhone 6 though.. but the iPad is way more important so that’s great! And great news on the constant improvements being made.

@JackDwyerburger said:

Just curious how you plan on avoiding all the issues the AudioDamage crew claim that plague Enso from working as advertised as an AUV3 on iOS?

Chris mentioned a lack of Memory access to the AUv3 routing which constantly causes it to crash. I hope you’ve resolved this issue, because i can’t get over 3 Ensō channels working in AUM on my 2018 iPad Pro USB-C.

Guess I’m also saying please make sure that you have a stable and solid build of this with 10+ channels recording as AUv3 before releasing this. Honestly I’m fine with the standalone version with Stereo.

You’ve got a true winner on your hands but if the AUv3 version kills the ability of recording 16 channels of audio because of memory issues I’d avoid it.

• edited January 2020

@echoopera said:
    Just curious how you plan on avoiding all the issues the AudioDamage crew claim that plague Enso from working as advertised as an AUV3 on iOS?

Chris mentioned a lack of Memory access to the AUv3 routing which constantly causes it to crash. I hope you’ve resolved this issue, because i can’t get over 3 Ensō channels working in AUM on my 2018 iPad Pro USB-C.

Guess I’m also saying please make sure that you have a stable and solid build of this with 10+ channels recording as AUv3 before releasing this. Honestly I’m fine with the standalone version with Stereo.

You’ve got a true winner on your hands but if the AUv3 version kills the ability of recording 16 channels of audio because of memory issues I’d avoid it.

I'm assuming by "channels" you mean "instances." We're planning on supporting just a single instance to begin with (because of the memory issue). What exactly is the purpose of running multiple instances of an app like L7?

@echoopera said:

I'm assuming by "channels" you mean "instances." We're planning on supporting just a single instance to begin with (because of the memory issue). What exactly is the purpose of running multiple instances of an app like L7?

Yes i mean instances.

You might want to rethink what AUv3 means for L7. I think most users are accustomed to running n# of instances of an AUv3 per channel in Audiobus and AUM. A looper as AUv3 means that you can route n# of fx per L7 instances in your routing setup.

I’m not sure how an AUv3 that only runs as one instance will be better than the stand alone model you currently have will be.

The workflow for L7 as it stands is pretty sweet and flexible. I think if you don’t model the workflow of AUv3=n# channel instances model most users will get frustrated and rail against the proposed model of 16 channels as 1 instance only of AUv3.

Hope this makes sense. Will clarify more if it doesn’t.

Cheers.

• @echoopera said:

Yes i mean instances.

You might want to rethink what AUv3 means for L7. I think most users are accustomed to running n# of instances of an AUv3 per channel in Audiobus and AUM. A looper as AUv3 means that you can route n# of fx per L7 instances in your routing setup.

Could the same thing not be achieved if we add multiple outs (one for each track)? That would allow you to run separate effects chains for each track.

I’m not sure how an AUv3 that only runs as one instance will be better than the stand alone model you currently have will be.

The workflow for L7 as it stands is pretty sweet and flexible. I think if you don’t model the workflow of AUv3=n# channel instances model most users will get frustrated and rail against the proposed model of 16 channels as 1 instance only of AUv3.

The bottleneck for this is memory since AUv3 apps only have 300mb on devices that are not the newer iPad Pros. I suppose we could get around this by streaming the audio from disk instead of storing everything in RAM (which is what we do right now). Not sure how Enso does this. The main concern is that streaming from disk will push the CPU usage too far over the edge. I'll see what we can do.

@echoopera said:

Yes i mean instances.

Could the same thing not be achieved if we add multiple outs (one for each track)? That would allow you to run separate effects chains for each track.

The bottleneck for this is memory since AUv3 apps only have 300mb on devices that are not the newer iPad Pros. I suppose we could get around this by streaming the audio from disk instead of storing everything in RAM (which is what we do right now). Not sure how Enso does this. The main concern is that streaming from disk will push the CPU usage too far over the edge. I'll see what we can do.

Yep. MultiOuts is the solution before AUv3 in my opinion. This is what i love about LoopyHD.

• @echoopera said:

@danielfromcodalabs said:

@echoopera said:

Yes i mean instances.

Cheers.

In the case of something like this app, I thought even as an AUv3, it is probably preferable to have multiple loops in a single instance rather than an instance for each loop: both technically and practically.

Practically, when I am using a multitrack looper, I want seamless recording/playback from one “transport”. Something like Enso which is targeted at independent loop manipulation is different from a multitrack looper in my opinion. Managing many independent Enso loops is a major hassle if they are part of a song. Again, for the sort of manipulations Enso is great for that’s not a problem. But with something’s no like this looper or Loopy where one mostly is using it as a multitrack looper managing all those tracks would be a real hassle for most use cases. By having it all housed in one instance one also has technical efficiencies since one has less cumulative overhead.

I think this is a special category of plugin where users will understand being limited to one instance.

Ideally, there might be two plugin versions: one intended to run the multitrack as a single instance and another that is one track per instance. If the latter used tricks like we see in FabFilter Q3, maybe the one track-per-instance version could have communication between instances (which is possible but not officially supported) to keep them co-ordinated and the track’s organized together.

Most of the time, I’d much rather have something like Loopy as a single instance than have to set up and manage 12 instances of Enso.

Anyway, that’s my take.

• edited January 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@echoopera said:

@echoopera said:

Yes i mean instances.

Cheers.

In the case of something like this app, I thought even as an AUv3, it is probably preferable to have multiple loops in a single instance rather than an instance for each loop: both technically and practically.

Practically, when I am using a multitrack looper, I want seamless recording/playback from one “transport”. Something like Enso which is targeted at independent loop manipulation is different from a multitrack looper in my opinion. Managing many independent Enso loops is a major hassle if they are part of a song. Again, for the sort of manipulations Enso is great for that’s not a problem. But with something’s no like this looper or Loopy where one mostly is using it as a multitrack looper managing all those tracks would be a real hassle for most use cases. By having it all housed in one instance one also has technical efficiencies since one has less cumulative overhead.

I think this is a special category of plugin where users will understand being limited to one instance.

Ideally, there might be two plugin versions: one intended to run the multitrack as a single instance and another that is one track per instance. If the latter used tricks like we see in FabFilter Q3, maybe the one track-per-instance version could have communication between instances (which is possible but not officially supported) to keep them co-ordinated and the track’s organized together.

Most of the time, I’d much rather have something like Loopy as a single instance than have to set up and manage 12 instances of Enso.

Anyway, that’s my take.

So...what advantage is there for an auv3 version of this app then? The standalone perfectly suits the workflow you’re outlining. I just think the following would be better suited for an update than the headache auv3 will present to them:
    . Stereo audio channels
    . Multi-outs
    . Better AUM integration
    . Improved time stretching and pitch shifting
    . Audio trimming and loop region definition
    . Loop playback options
    . Auv3 fx support per channel

• @echoopera said:

So...what advantage is there for an auv3 version of this app then? The standalone perfectly suits the workflow you’re outlining. I just think the following would be better suited for an update than the headache auv3 will present to them:
    . Stereo audio channels
    . Multi-outs
    . Better AUM integration

We'd rather get L7 AUv3 compatible sooner rather than later before IAA gets the axe. If nothing else, being able to put the window wherever you want it in AUM is pretty nice, especially on big iPad Pros. Stereo audio channels will be included in the next update, and we'll look into multi-outs.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by better AUM integration? Also, a few people have said the time stretching and pitch shifting is already pretty good. What do you think is lacking there?

• edited January 2020

@echoopera said:

. Stereo audio channels
    . Multi-outs
    . Better AUM integration

We'd rather get L7 AUv3 compatible sooner rather than later before IAA gets the axe. If nothing else, being able to put the window wherever you want it in AUM is pretty nice, especially on big iPad Pros. Stereo audio channels will be included in the next update, and we'll look into multi-outs.

Ahh...this makes sense then 👊🏼™️ I forgot about the IAA deprication.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by better AUM integration? Also, a few people have said the time stretching and pitch shifting is already pretty good. What do you think is lacking there?

Sure. It just crashes all the time for me when loading it into an fx channel in AUM. Maybe the auv3 version will fix this.

As far as time stretching and pitch shifting, i just want it to be as good as Cubasis. Are you using the zplane elastique algorithm by chance?

• edited January 2020

@echoopera said:
    I just want it to be as good as Cubasis. Are you using the zplane elastique algorithm by chance?

Cubasis almost certainly uses something they developed in house. I doubt they're willing to share the source code. zplane elastique is a standalone plugin. We can't use anything unless we make it ourselves or it's open source and appropriately licensed.

Believe me, if we could just pull algorithms from the compiled binaries of the best music software out there, we would :)

• edited January 2020

@echoopera said:
    I just want it to be as good as Cubasis. Are you using the zplane elastique algorithm by chance?

Cubasis almost certainly uses something they developed in house. I doubt they're willing to share the source code. zplane elastique is a standalone plugin. We can't use anything unless we have the source code and it's open source and appropriately licensed.

Believe me, if we could just pull algorithms from the compiled binaries of the best music software out there, we would :)

I know you can license these algos. Cubasis uses the zplane stuff. Maybe reach out to the AudioStretch team as well to ask what they use for their algorithm:
    https://www.audiostretch.com/

Zplane info:

https://licensing.zplane.de/technology#elastique

• @echoopera said:
    I know you can license these algos. Cubasis uses the zplane stuff. Maybe reach out to the AudioStretch team as well to ask what they use for their algorithm:

Zplane info:

Sure, we'll look into it but keep in mind Cubasis is a $50 app.

@echoopera said:

Zplane info:

Yep. But doing research on what’s out there to make it even better is free😁👊🏼

• @echoopera said:

@echoopera said:

Zplane info:

Yep. But doing research on what’s out there to make it even better is free😁👊🏼

I think he was hinting at the comparison of pricing of the apps for customers. Added cost on the development side means higher app prices...

• And loss of open-source, which is one of the points of the app.

@echoopera, have you done side by side comparisons with Cubasis? And are you referring to real-time or offline in Cubasis?

I was actually really impressed by the time stretch, particularly for real-time. I didn’t try pitch shift.

• I think even having a single instance of AU will make L7 better than than IAA because with the sizeable AU window makes recording start stop easier to achieve inside your preferred host.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    I think even having a single instance of AU will make L7 better than than IAA because with the sizeable AU window makes recording start stop easier to achieve inside your preferred host.

+1. The slide-over thing works, but isn’t as flexible as having an AU window.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    I think even having a single instance of AU will make L7 better than than IAA because with the sizeable AU window makes recording start stop easier to achieve inside your preferred host.

I feel the same - so yes, thumbs up for the AUV3 option - even if just a single instance would be stable it would be a great improvement to the workflow - especially since L7 offers the multiple tracks inside the single instance ... I guess this makes the need for multiple AUs less important ...

• @Jumpercollins said:

Furthermore, IAA often interferes with my ability to play with another app in the foreground. For example, I have a number of IAA apps whose audio with cut out if I have, say, YouTube or Apple Music in the foreground. This doesn't happen if all my other apps are AUv3.

• I've got a strange bug.

I have the most recent releases of L7 on both my iPhone and iPad Pro.

L7 will not open in standalone mode.

It does instantiate in AUM and AB2

As soon as I have the time, or until someone else
    can confirm this, I will do a screen video to show.

iPhone SE
    iPad Pro 9.7" 1st gen

Both running iOS 13.3

• @aure

Is it possible for us to be able to save each session to the Files app in
    a future update so that we can move sessions from looper to looper
    similar to how I can move projects in Auria Pro and BM3?