Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is Animoog already dead?

Comments

• @realdawei said:
    Having to justify AU is 100% asinine by now. If you don’t get why people want it then kindly fuck off. (Yes I mean that with all my heart)

On the other hand there are solid architectural and historical reasons why Animoog is not AU. It is what it is.

LOL. People are criticising the OP for acting as if anything non-AU was ‚dead‘. Nobody was asked to justify AU. But go ahead, tell people to fuck off. 🙄

• Animoog is an app that I think of more like a piece of hardware, in that I'm happy it's here and thinks it's marvelous as is and accept it at that.

However, I do fear for the future of it. I guess that's what some are saying? It's not about relevance to me, it's about usability in the future. Still works like a champ on my ipad 2.

• @realdawei said:
    Having to justify AU is 100% asinine by now. If you don’t get why people want it then kindly fuck off. (Yes I mean that with all my heart)

On the other hand there are solid architectural and historical reasons why Animoog is not AU. It is what it is.

And people that prefer AU-only workflow can kindly stop acting as if an app not being AU means it is dead or buggy.

• @musgo said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@musgo said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:
    Animoog is still one of best after all these years. Lots of life left in it. Easier timbre import and preset import/export would be nice. If it never goes to AU people will still use it

+this and

+Tempo sync, more modulations sources and destinations, better MPE hardware integration (problems with the Linnstrument). That would be it.

It has tempo sync.

In AudioBus or AUM, set tempo. Animoog will keep its own. It is saved with the preset as far as I can tell.

It has LINK

• @realdawei said:

That helps foster a good discussion on a totally subjective and personal preference matters.

• Animoog runs on the older ipads
    (with the speed that apple move us along) there are lots of older ipads

As long as the software is still available for these older devices
    Animoogs will be available ≈ Lots of Animoogs - a sound for the future :)

i only wish timbre sharing/creating were easier

i ♥ Animoog ( i also ♥ AU's)

• @RUST( i )K said:
    It has LINK

OoooooooKkay! LINK it is

• @kinkujin said:
    Animoog is an app that I think of more like a piece of hardware, in that I'm happy it's here and thinks it's marvelous as is and accept it at that.

^^ this

I feel like it's bolted in to my iPad .. it's been there as long as i've had it.. and hopefully won't ever leave.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I don’t understand this AU only thing with synths.

All hardware synths, pianos, guitars etc would also be dead according to this logic or am I missing something here?

But hardware is different to software, being able to save state in a host is standard, people expect it.
    I sometimes take out the IAA apps for a spin and it can be fun, but I rarely use them in my projects because I want to play and experiment. And if you're building a project over time then it's better workflow with AU for many reasons.

• Animoog is such a beast I’m glad we have it and they keep it working.
    The thing with The all the moog apps Is that they eat up a lot of resources so I don’t really ever use multiple instances of any of em...I know there are other reasons to desire au but that’sa big One...
    But it won’t really be super useful to me cuz I’msure like the others it’s hungry... it has a built in 4 track that I use often to make up for single instance..

Idk I’m happy with the synth, seems very alive to me... au Would Be cool but personally I’d rather seem them focus on some new synths To give us!!

• edited November 2019

@Carnbot said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

All hardware synths, pianos, guitars etc would also be dead according to this logic or am I missing something here?

But hardware is different to software, being able to save state in a host is standard, people expect it.
    I sometimes take out the IAA apps for a spin and it can be fun, but I rarely use them in my projects because I want to play and experiment. And if you're building a project over time then it's better workflow with AU for many reasons.

I load everything into Audiobus, send everything to AUM and record the results into AudioShare and give the AB3 setup a name I can (hopefully) remember.

Or else do an Ableton Project Export.

Have never not had total recall happen automatically and I don’t use AU for synths, just for effects.

Didn’t realise it was possible to lose settings in a synth. Is this actually possible?

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Carnbot said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

I load everything into Audiobus, send everything to AUM and record the results into AudioShare and give the AB3 setup a name I can (hopefully) remember.

Or else do an Ableton Project Export.

Have never not had total recall happen automatically and I don’t use AU for synths, just for effects.

Didn’t realise it was possible to lose settings in a synth. Is this actually possible?

Yeah there's AB statesaving which is a nice workaround for synths without AU, but if you're working in another host it's not possible to recall with IAA, it'll only rememeber the last settings not different specific project settings. I used to (and still occasionally) do multi-host AB setups like that. But these days I'm streamlining my workflow process and it's mostly AUM only and then I record the output direct to Ableton (or record to audioshare like you for editing).

I do use Program Change for recalling of IAA synths and apps though which is another useful method when not working in AB.

Good to have all the options we now have though :)

• edited November 2019

Cool thread Bros.

• edited November 2019

@AudioGus
    I mostly resemble the 2nd to last guy. Except the hat is covering my bald head, my beard is all gray, my tee shirt is not as bright (and I loathe vneck tees), the sunglasses would have to be prescription bifocals and the phone is too small. But the coffee cup looks about right. Ehh, nope, that would have to be a mug.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

Wow. Harsh. Why on earth is it such a problem for anyone if people have a different opinion? I'm as pro AU as anyone, but can't imagine taking it personally when anyone isn't. I also don't get how "discussing" is anything like "defending".

Just having a bad day maybe? :o

• @AudioGus said:

Cool thread Bros.

DIEHIPSTERDIE?

• Everyone knows that the number one reason why people leave their desktop and laptop computers behind to Make music with an iPad or iPhone is because now the iOS platform is the perfect place to emulate the experience of making music on a desktop or laptop computer...

duh...

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

That's why I'm searching for a 4.7 inch monitor for my desktop PC.

• @wim said:

ha!

• Not dead.

• edited November 2019

@mrcanister said:

@wim said:

ha!

I

And it’s even portable.

I had one until a windows update broke it

• So... what is it about human nature that makes people who are happy with a particular “system” tell everyone who isn’t as pleased with it (based on their own personal experience) that they are wrong, stupid, and don’t know what they’re talking about? IAA is good for some, AU is good for others. Some like both. iOS as an “all in one” music creation tool works for some genres and artists. Others, not so much. Many people have more success and better results using mainly PC or Mac based applications. Isn’t there room in the world for all these things? To the original question... Animoog was updated just this morning so... not dead. Just not likely to be AU in the immediate future.

• @ZenLizard said:
    So... what is it about human nature that makes people who are happy with a particular “system” tell everyone who isn’t as pleased with it (based on their own personal experience) that they are wrong, stupid, and don’t know what they’re talking about? IAA is good for some, AU is good for others. Some like both. iOS as an “all in one” music creation tool works for some genres and artists. Others, not so much. Many people have more success and better results using mainly PC or Mac based applications. Isn’t there room in the world for all these things? To the original question... Animoog was updated just this morning so... not dead. Just not likely to be AU in the immediate future.

The is really all just skirting around the main issue that only one style of music should ever be made.

• edited November 2019

Indeed @AudioGus. Reminds me of a story... During the height of Screamo (or is that ScrEmo?) popularity, 90% of gigging bands in my city were doing that. The people in these bands took the abundance to mean their style was the best and what “everybody wanted” to hear. I found out a different story though when I talked to the audiences and booking agents at various venues. 80% of those I interviewed wanted to see live bands but were also sick to death of scremo, at the very venues that featured them. Giant disconnect. Scremo bands were happy. They thought everyone else was happy or at least should be, but music fans and booking agents were definitely not. It hurt the local scene badly becuase venues were getting fewer and fewer people through the doors. My point is, just because something is perfect for you, it doesn’t follow that it will be for everyone. That doesn’t make them wrong.

Speaking of disconnect... I just remembered this thread is supposed to be about Animoog and it’s possible dead-ness.

I am sorry. Carry on.

• ...and a minor Animoog update today ;)

• @Carnbot said:
    ...and a minor Animoog update today ;)

But no AU, so dead. I see your point.

• @AudioGus said:

@Carnbot said:

No it's alive to me, as good as it always was and still one of the best :)

• @Carnbot said:

@AudioGus said:

@Carnbot said:

No it's alive to me, as good as it always was and still one of the best :)

• @brambos said:
    The importance of AU is only 5% about needing multiple instances. It's 95% about the convenience and seamlessness of state saving.

I concur.
    I only use multiple FX instances, if ever.
    And even then, I have tons of overlap in FX, so I could probably only use one instance of each of those as well, and just use multiple versions of the same type of FX.

But saving and easy workflow in a host is my main benefit.

• I refuse to buy any synth that doesn’t correctly handle non-ASCII characters in the MIDI port names.

Good update.