Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is Animoog already dead?

Comments

• @DMan it works fine for me on Air2 , iPad 2018 iOS 13.2
    And used to work fine on ios12 , plus the iPhone version

@klownshed said:
    If they release a new app along the lines of Animoog as an AU then I’d happily buy it.

+1

• @RUST( i )K said:

Not dead.

On beta at moment.

Hi RUST(i)K, Could you please clarify this comment if possible?

I'm reading it that Animoog AUv3 is in beta now -- but that seems too good to be true and contradictory to everything else stated in this thread.

• @Vaultnaemsae said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Not dead.

On beta at moment.

I'm reading it that Animoog AUv3 is in beta now -- but that seems too good to be true and contradictory to everything else stated in this thread.

Like a lot of devs, Moog apps are on constant beta with minor changes. I’m sure Animoog AU is not in beta. However, Moog are pretty secretive around new apps and major updates, so you never know.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I don’t understand this AU only thing with synths.

All hardware synths, pianos, guitars etc would also be dead according to this logic or am I missing something here?

You’re definitely missing something , it’s the convenience of having it all contained within one app, and still being able to edit the midi with the au synth. A lot of us like to be able to open a song and keep working on it midi wise, vs if I use a synth via iaa, and record it as an audio wave file. And if I’m using several synths that aren’t audio units, then I have all those other apps and windows to jump around, and I also like having the synth within the Daw so I can see the Daws transport. For my workflow au are just more seamless. Again, I’d rather have to open just one Daw and have everything there, it just make it smoother for me personally. I have a lot of synths that aren’t au’s but I wish they were. I just like this

Vs this

• @Strizbiz said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

All hardware synths, pianos, guitars etc would also be dead according to this logic or am I missing something here?

You’re definitely missing something , it’s the convenience of having it all contained within one app, and still being able to edit the midi with the au synth. A lot of us like to be able to open a song and keep working on it midi wise, vs if I use a synth via iaa, and record it as an audio wave file. And if I’m using several synths that aren’t audio units, then I have all those other apps and windows to jump around, and I also like having the synth within the Daw so I can see the Daws transport. For my workflow au are just more seamless. Again, I’d rather have to open just one Daw and have everything there, it just make it smoother for me personally. I have a lot of synths that aren’t au’s but I wish they were. I just like this

Vs this

Exactly this is the point! I use different synths in AUM or Nanostudio 2 and have all in one App. Because of this you dont have to switch around standalone apps 👍👍

• @yowza said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I only need one of each synth at a time.

Different strokes etc but I always chuckle when someone says they can only load x number of instances of (pick your favorite AUv3 synth).
    I usually don’t want more than one instance of any given synth because I want different sounds and timbres not the same type of sound stacked up and most synths have a “sound”.
    It would be like having chocolate cake with chocolate chips in it and chocolate syrup and a scoop of chocolate ice cream on top. Some people might like that but it’s way too much chocolate for me.

Exactly.
    I don't get it.

It is like Gadget....everyone says AU SYNTH OR BUST.......but I see all these Gadget vids and everyone is using different gadgets...so I ask......how many people use multiple of the same synth at one time?

I personally like to play and manipulate every synth in real time, I don't find it practical from a sonic perspective to over load sources like that.

I agree with you.

I think it is habit with AU AU AU AU AU AU on synths...I don't see the need and I also hate small fiddly little boxes.

I personally love the apps that make most of the GUI and I device.

• @DMan said:
    It seems Animoog stopped opening on all of my iPads including my old iPad 2 on 9.3.5 and my newer iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 2 on 13.2.2. I don’t remember the last time that it worked, but your post prompted me to check on them to see if they are currently working. Every time I try to open them it says “Animoog is already dead, click here to find out more”. I click and it starts an animation along an Animoog style modulation path that says “Animoog is dead. It does not work currently and never will ever again.”

What?

Pics of said Animoog corpse

• They could release Animoog AU as an IAP and still monetize their dev effort. They did release many features as IAPs in the past.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@yowza said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Different strokes etc but I always chuckle when someone says they can only load x number of instances of (pick your favorite AUv3 synth).
    I usually don’t want more than one instance of any given synth because I want different sounds and timbres not the same type of sound stacked up and most synths have a “sound”.
    It would be like having chocolate cake with chocolate chips in it and chocolate syrup and a scoop of chocolate ice cream on top. Some people might like that but it’s way too much chocolate for me.

Exactly.
    I don't get it.

It is like Gadget....everyone says AU SYNTH OR BUST.......but I see all these Gadget vids and everyone is using different gadgets...so I ask......how many people use multiple of the same synth at one time?

I personally like to play and manipulate every synth in real time, I don't find it practical from a sonic perspective to over load sources like that.

I agree with you.

I think it is habit with AU AU AU AU AU AU on synths...I don't see the need and I also hate small fiddly little boxes.

I personally love the apps that make most of the GUI and I device.

I definitely use multiple instance of synths, in Gadget as well as other Daws, if you’re using another instance it doesn’t mean you’re using the same preset or you can’t get different sounds from on synth, or even if you’re using a sampler, rompler, what ever. Sometime I use multiple instances of bs 16i just because it has a lot of basic bread and butter sounds and doesn’t beat up my CPU. And regarding Gadget, all the synths are contained with Gadget when you use it, which pretty much makes it like using au’s within other Daws. At the end of the day as long as the person doing it gets it that’s all that matters.🤷🏽‍♂️

• @Vaultnaemsae said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Not dead.

On beta at moment.

I think he is saying that it is still being maintained and that M> @MobileMusic said:

They could release Animoog AU as an IAP and still monetize their dev effort. They did release many features as IAPs in the past.

It is quite possible that they believe they would lose money with such a venture...and they know way more than we what their development costs are and what revenue their apps generate.

The fact that Korg, Waldorf, Moog (with respect to Animoog) have (at best) dragged their feet in regards to AU conversion tells us a lot about the economics.

• I think with a synth that's been around as long as Animoog it would be perfectly justifiable to release the AU version as a brand new app.

• Animoog is still one of best after all these years. Lots of life left in it. Easier timbre import and preset import/export would be nice. If it never goes to AU people will still use it

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    Animoog is still one of best after all these years. Lots of life left in it. Easier timbre import and preset import/export would be nice. If it never goes to AU people will still use it

Agree

• @MobileMusic said:
    Their response doesn't make much sense. They want to keep it "relevant" and not update it to AU when IAA is deprecated already? They are using customer input for future product planning but not look into what iOS has deprecated?? No wonder it is lagging behind when old apps like Sunrizer have already ported to AU.

@analog_matt How much effort do you think it is to convert an old app like Animoog into AU? Using a scrolling UI as-is.

That would be a better question for someone on the Moog team, like @GeertBevin
    Moog has an excellent engineering team.

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    Animoog is still one of best after all these years. Lots of life left in it. Easier timbre import and preset import/export would be nice. If it never goes to AU people will still use it

+this and

+Tempo sync, more modulations sources and destinations, better MPE hardware integration (problems with the Linnstrument). That would be it.

• @musgo said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

+this and

+Tempo sync, more modulations sources and destinations, better MPE hardware integration (problems with the Linnstrument). That would be it.

It has tempo sync.

• @richardyot said:
    I think with a synth that's been around as long as Animoog it would be perfectly justifiable to release the AU version as a brand new app.

Being it is 1 of 10 apps I use, no doubt.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@musgo said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

+this and

It has tempo sync.

In AudioBus or AUM, set tempo. Animoog will keep its own. It is saved with the preset as far as I can tell.

• I'm not an AU zealot but Animoog is definitely one of the few IAA apps I still love and use regularly. I would dearly love an AU for improved workflow, multiple instances and to future proof it. I'd pay all over again for it. I'd love that keyboard as an AU controller, too!

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@RUST( i )K said:

@yowza said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Me either

I only can really play one guitar at a time.

I don't care as much about using more than one synth as I do about state saving. Not having state saving means having to remember to save presets, keep notes about presets used, and reload those presets each and every time you return to a project. Not a show stopper, but nice to have.

It's also about obsolescence. At some point (I believe quite some time from now though) IAA will either no longer work, or will have some issues that will not be addressed in future iOS versions. At that point, only audiobus will be a viable way to use those apps with anything else.

For something like Animoog, which I would hope to use indefinitely, it would be nice not to have that hanging over it's head.

• edited November 2019

@wim said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@yowza said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Me either

I only can really play one guitar at a time.

I don't care as much about using more than one synth as I do about state saving. Not having state saving means having to remember to save presets, keep notes about presets used, and reload those presets each and every time you return to a project. Not a show stopper, but nice to have.

It's also about obsolescence. At some point (I believe quite some time from now though) IAA will either no longer work, or will have some issues that will not be addressed in future iOS versions. At that point, only audiobus will be a viable way to use those apps with anything else.

For something like Animoog, which I would hope to use indefinitely, it would be nice not to have that hanging over it's head.

I have good news!

Just need some obscure app, it does state saving and other useful things.

Can’t remember the name but will search this forum, I’m sure I’ve seen it mentioned once or twice.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

Yes, but that is only good for when used in Audiobus.

There’s also the fact that newer DAWs aren’t supporting IAA. Again, it’s about product longevity and diminishing flexibility, not about any deal breakers right now.

Also, as there’s a significant percentage of people who won’t purchase a non-AU synth at this point. That means fewer customers, which means less revenue, which means less motivation to improve or fix apps. For apps I care about, I hope they continue to generate as much revenue as they can.

But hey, if people want to argue that there’s no benefit for apps to go AU, that’s fine. I’m just pointing out the aspects that were left out of the reasoning in that other post.

• edited November 2019

Would be happy to have more timbers for the fire!

The packs add a lot to this synth. Keep forgetting to look into loading home grown timbres.

A quick glance at top paid apps in the music category suggests that AU support isn’t keeping many people awake at night.

Already Used 16gb devices can be found easily for not much cash. Air 1/Mini 2 will still run a surprising amount of stuff.

I could run 4 instances of any vintage_dead_synth app in A.U device mode if the urge ever strikes.

• @wim said:

There’s also the fact that newer DAWs aren’t supporting IAA. Again, it’s about product longevity and diminishing flexibility, not about any deal breakers right now.

Also, as there’s a significant percentage of people who won’t purchase a non-AU synth at this point. That means fewer customers, which means less revenue, which means less motivation to improve or fix apps. For apps I care about, I hope they continue to generate as much revenue as they can.

But hey, if people want to argue that there’s no benefit for apps to go AU, that’s fine. I’m just pointing out the aspects that were left out of the reasoning in that other post.

As I mentioned above, Moog has relevant data about how much revenue they earn and comparisons of the revenue of their AU and non-AU synths and what it would cost to turn Animoog into an AU. The question isn't "would an AU release sell copies". The question is whether the return on investment would be better on turning Animoog into an AU vs. spending the money on something else.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

As I mentioned above, Moog has relevant data about how much revenue they earn and comparisons of the revenue of their AU and non-AU synths and what it would cost to turn Animoog into an AU. The question isn't "would an AU release sell copies". The question is whether the return on investment would be better on turning Animoog into an AU vs. spending the money on something else.

Of course.

I was responding to the notion that AUs aren’t important solely because no one needs more than one instance of a synth. This only.

I take it for granted that it’s not generally cost effective to retrofit an app for AU. That’s a different point than why people so strongly want AU versions of apps.

• The importance of AU is only 5% about needing multiple instances. It's 95% about the convenience and seamlessness of state saving.

• @RedSkyLullaby said:

@musgo said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

+this and

QFT

• @RUST( i )K said:

@DMan said:
    It seems Animoog stopped opening on all of my iPads including my old iPad 2 on 9.3.5 and my newer iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 2 on 13.2.2. I don’t remember the last time that it worked, but your post prompted me to check on them to see if they are currently working. Every time I try to open them it says “Animoog is already dead, click here to find out more”. I click and it starts an animation along an Animoog style modulation path that says “Animoog is dead. It does not work currently and never will ever again.”

What?

Pics of said Animoog corpse

Sorry, I wasn’t serious. Animoog works fine. The post saying it was already dead seemed silly to me since it is working fine.

• Having to justify AU is 100% asinine by now. If you don’t get why people want it then kindly fuck off. (Yes I mean that with all my heart)

On the other hand there are solid architectural and historical reasons why Animoog is not AU. It is what it is.

• Wow, I was going to say that some people were being obtuse but then trashed my whole reply to avoid being confrontational. You kinda took that to a whole other level...but at least you said to do it "kindly." :lol: