Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pure Acid by Jim Audio!!! This is the best news ever!!!

1525354555658»

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

|

😅

This would really make him THE MAN - should anyone have to go fishing through a forum to learn how to use an app? 🤔

Should anyone earn less from writing a sophisticated great,sounding audio tool and earn less than minimum wage?

Having manuals would be lovely -- but the over the top rhetoric that doesn't recognize why it isn't really feasible seems to ignore certain realities.

This plugin sold well! Very very well, ......

"Sold well! Very very well...." But you have 0 knowledge about how much money was earned, how much time went into the development or what expenses the developer has. Some very popular apps generate relatively little money compared to the time that went into the development.

Like I said, I'd love for it to have a manual -- I just hate the judgey attitude expressed about the lack of the manual and the lack of acknowledgment/awareness of the factors that figure into a developer's decision.

It's one thing to say "I wish this had a manual." It's another to act like a developer is being a jerk or remiss for not having written one. They earn far less than you seem to think. I just think people can back off on the attitude.

Sure I don’t have that knowledge, but I think my points in that last reply to Wim are still valid. No need for a huge, fancy manual, if the dev is not capable, for whatever reason, but even a rough manual is better than none, imo

As I said, I wish they had manuals -- I just am not going to be judgmental about the lack of manuals and shame devs that don't have them.

Ok! I personally will continue to pass judgement because I think it’s important to have manuals for any app that is not 100% intuitive.

• wimwim
    edited June 2023

@tja said:

@wim said:
    Totally off topic but ...

If I was thinking about writing a user contributed manual for some app but wanted to have it open enough that it could be contributed to by someone else, or perhaps be passed along to someone else altogether would Google Docs be a good choice? The publicly published format would be PDF, not HTML or the doc itself.

Wiki's don't really do it for me as the mechanics of uploading and positioning graphics on the page, etc. are too clunky. I prefer something with better compositional tools but that is still accessible and shareable in a controlled fashion to others.

Personally, I prefer MarkDown to write such things - but finally this would create either HTML or PDF.

I too prefer markdown for my own purposes, but it's a bit too limited formatting wise for what I had in mind.

Obsidian is a good starting point, if you don't know it.

Obsidian is my standard for personal note taking but not really what I had in mind here.

Contributing should be possible over iCloud.

On iPad I also like iA Writer, but did not yet test it's capability for wiki-links (two-directional linking between texts, paragraphs or even headlines).

Good point about internal document linking. That's useful and important. I hadn't thought about it.

No way would I want to write something like this on an iPad. I get frustrated writing there even with an external keyboard. 😉

Thanks for the input!
    I'm gonna just poke around with Google Docs and see how it goes. I'm not one to over analyze before diving in and trying. And I'm not even committed to doing anything anyway at this point. 😎

• Back to the app for a moment; just to say it works very well sequenced from an MC101. The drums match up fine, and you can map the knobs to the key bassline parameters really easily.

• @purpan2 said:
    Back to the app for a moment; just to say it works very well sequenced from an MC101. The drums match up fine, and you can map the knobs to the key bassline parameters really easily.

How do you like the 101? I had the 707 and wasn’t the biggest fan but a friend of a friend told me the 101 is a lot easier to work with and faster for jamming. Can’t it also loop/sample from the iPad via usb?

• I’m pro manual. I won’t read them until I have to but I’m glad they’re there when I have to

• wimwim
    edited June 2023

I wrote two paragraphs of a "user contributed" manual for Pure Acid this afternoon. I won't commit to a release date, but feel pretty good that it will be done some time before the end of 2029 if I don't lose interest before then. 😂

• @wim said:
    I wrote two paragraphs of a "user contributed" manual for Pure Acid this afternoon. I won't commit to a release date, but feel pretty good that it will be done some time before the end of 2029 if I don't lose interest before then. 😂

Hey siri set a reminder for 6 years from now

• There should be a generative AI that can author user manuals from functional software. There are already AI that can teach themselves to use software tools (see https://gpt3demo.com/apps/toolformer). Shouldn’t be too huge of a leap to join that with the natural language AIs to create a manual.

I love Pure Acid. I was away from music creation (despite a very healthy hardware synth and eurorack setup) for a couple of years and Pure Acid has sucked me back in!

• edited June 2023

@HotStrange said:

@purpan2 said:
    Back to the app for a moment; just to say it works very well sequenced from an MC101. The drums match up fine, and you can map the knobs to the key bassline parameters really easily.

How do you like the 101? I had the 707 and wasn’t the biggest fan but a friend of a friend told me the 101 is a lot easier to work with and faster for jamming. Can’t it also loop/sample from the iPad via usb?

It took me a long while to get into it but I find it indispensable now. It’s so versatile. I use it as a drum machine to go with the TD3, as a sound module programmed by either laptop or Xequence on the ipad, or in standalone groovebox fashion. What made it come alive for me is the full sound editing capability in the 1.8 update. There are downsides - no preset storing, no velocity on the pads, rhodes and acoustic sounds better suited to a mix than solo playing. But overall it’s tremendous. Runs for hours on rechargeable batterie, too. It also has excellent USB midi and audio. (And it can repel alien attacks, which I’m told are imminent!)

• @purpan2 said:

@HotStrange said:

@purpan2 said:

It took me a long while to get into it but I find it indispensable now. It’s so versatile. I use it as a drum machine to go with the TD3, as a sound module programmed by either laptop or Xequence on the ipad, or in standalone groovebox fashion. What made it come alive for me is the full sound editing capability in the 1.8 update. There are downsides - no preset storing, no velocity on the pads, rhodes and acoustic sounds better suited to a mix than solo playing. But overall it’s tremendous. Runs for hours on rechargeable batterie, too. It also has excellent USB midi and audio. (And it can repel alien attacks, which I’m told are imminent!)

I was gonna buy a standalone alien attack defender but this just seals the deal 😆

Thanks for the response. I was super excited they opened up the synth engine but not adding preset storage kinda sucks. Do they at least save within the project?

The 707s acoustic sounds were definitely the same way. I like that the 101 seems more tailored to live jamming. The 707 is more of a studio instrument and requires lots of attention to finer details. I’m trying to whittle down a list of a piece of hardware to get to compliment my iPad as I haven’t used hardware in some time and have been wanting at least something to get back into. The 101 is pretty high on the list. Have you used it to send midi out to the iPad?

• @HotStrange said:

@purpan2 said:

@HotStrange said:

@purpan2 said:

I was gonna buy a standalone alien attack defender but this just seals the deal 😆

Thanks for the response. I was super excited they opened up the synth engine but not adding preset storage kinda sucks. Do they at least save within the project?

The 707s acoustic sounds were definitely the same way. I like that the 101 seems more tailored to live jamming. The 707 is more of a studio instrument and requires lots of attention to finer details. I’m trying to whittle down a list of a piece of hardware to get to compliment my iPad as I haven’t used hardware in some time and have been wanting at least something to get back into. The 101 is pretty high on the list. Have you used it to send midi out to the iPad?

Yes indeed. It works perfectly to run the drums and 303 in Pure Acid. No need to set up the drums - they just work. It's very easy to use midi learn to map the four knobs to controls. I guess it works fine for any other app too. I use an iRig midi to get the midi into the ipad.

For presets, you can save them in projects, and you can load a preset in a new project from any existing project. It works, but it's a bit clunky.

Anyway, I love the MC101. You have to learn quite a few key combinations, because there's a lot there.

• @purpan2 said:

@HotStrange said:

@purpan2 said:

@HotStrange said:

@purpan2 said:

Yes indeed. It works perfectly to run the drums and 303 in Pure Acid. No need to set up the drums - they just work. It's very easy to use midi learn to map the four knobs to controls. I guess it works fine for any other app too. I use an iRig midi to get the midi into the ipad.

For presets, you can save them in projects, and you can load a preset in a new project from any existing project. It works, but it's a bit clunky.

Anyway, I love the MC101. You have to learn quite a few key combinations, because there's a lot there.

Thanks! Btw could you not use usb to send midi instead of the iRig? I didn’t even think about using the existing knobs for midi control, but that’s another big plus in favor of the 101. Is there a list of parameters available to edit for the synth engine?

Sorry for pestering, but I couldn’t find that anywhere right off and don’t wanna watch a bunch of hour long influencer demos to see if it’s there 😅

• @HotStrange said:

Thanks! Btw could you not use usb to send midi instead of the iRig? I didn’t even think about using the existing knobs for midi control, but that’s another big plus in favor of the 101. Is there a list of parameters available to edit for the synth engine?

Sorry for pestering, but I couldn’t find that anywhere right off and don’t wanna watch a bunch of hour long influencer demos to see if it’s there 😅

I use the irig midi because when I use a usb cable and the cck, I get the dreaded « accessory uses too much power » message. Maybe there’s a workaround - a cck with charger socket? It works fine with usb midi (and usb audio) with a cable straight into the laptop. For the laptop, Roland provides a driver that allows you to record audio as four separate tracks in the computer (or as a stereo mix).

For the editing, I think you can edit every parameter. Certainly you can go down into each of the four partials and change whatever you want. You can edit envelopes, LFO details and assignments, filters, modulation matrix. I find it all logical enough (but then, I have a JV1080). Detailed editing came in with update 1.8, so there’s probably an update manual for that on the Roland site.

• @purpan2 said:

@HotStrange said:

I use the irig midi because when I use a usb cable and the cck, I get the dreaded « accessory uses too much power » message. Maybe there’s a workaround - a cck with charger socket? It works fine with usb midi (and usb audio) with a cable straight into the laptop. For the laptop, Roland provides a driver that allows you to record audio as four separate tracks in the computer (or as a stereo mix).

For the editing, I think you can edit every parameter. Certainly you can go down into each of the four partials and change whatever you want. You can edit envelopes, LFO details and assignments, filters, modulation matrix. I find it all logical enough (but then, I have a JV1080). Detailed editing came in with update 1.8, so there’s probably an update manual for that on the Roland site.

Sweet thanks for the replies! I have a new Air so it’s just straight usb-c so that may be the issue. I’ve heard of that happening with CCKs before. The 101 may have shot to the top of the list.

• Does anyone know if it’s possible to record live to an audio file,, Like in AUM or Drambo?

• @Antos3345 said:
    Does anyone know if it’s possible to record live to an audio file,, Like in AUM or Drambo?

As far as i know you can only export loops

• @Antos3345 said:
    Does anyone know if it’s possible to record live to an audio file,, Like in AUM or Drambo?

You can host it in aum or drambo and record it too

• @cokomairena said:

@Antos3345 said:

Thanks, yes, I can always record in a host, but thought it may have the "live to tape" recording feel. Loops are not what I want.

• @Antos3345 said:

@cokomairena said:

@Antos3345 said:

Thanks, yes, I can always record in a host, but thought it may have the "live to tape" recording feel. Loops are not what I want.

You could always get someone like Gauss or Enso to use AUM to get that live to tape feel. Or AUMs file player even.

• @HotStrange said:

@Antos3345 said:

@cokomairena said:

@Antos3345 said:

You could always get someone like Gauss or Enso to use AUM to get that live to tape feel. Or AUMs file player even.

In Aum, I can just hit record on the Bus it is in. No worries. Just think if it had a simple recorder, it would be more direct from the Groovebox. Thx.

• @Antos3345 said:

@HotStrange said:

@Antos3345 said:

@cokomairena said:

@Antos3345 said:

In Aum, I can just hit record on the Bus it is in. No worries. Just think if it had a simple recorder, it would be more direct from the Groovebox. Thx.

I think the assumption is that the majority of people are using it in a host which is probably why it wasn’t included.

One thing that may help, is to make an AUM template that’s a designated recorder. So all you have to do is load that template and you’re ready to record your synths (or whatever).

• I’m ok with it as is. It’s such an awesome app and with AUV3 and multi outs, it’s a dream

• edited December 2023

Does anyone know if one can program just the drums in PA from Drambo? I tried a midi filter in Drambo and only I could seem to trigger the 303 on midi filter channel 1.

• @Antos3345 said:
    Does anyone know if one can program just the drums in PA from Drambo? I tried a midi filter in Drambo and only I could seem to trigger the 303 on midi filter channel 1.

The drum machine is on ch 10 as default 😉

• @Lorichs said:

@Antos3345 said:

Thanks, I’ll try again looking for the drums, but on c1 I didn’t hear anything. Do you know if there’s another way to set the midi ch in Drambo ?

• @Antos3345 said:
    Thanks, I’ll try again looking for the drums, but on c1 I didn’t hear anything. Do you know if there’s another way to set the midi ch in Drambo ?

That is wired. I can’t get MIDI IN from the Drambo sequencer to work at all. I can play notes from my KORG nanoKEY and i can record notes for the PA sequencer using MIDI feedback.
    I can’t recall that i have had this issue before.
    Maybe it is because I have stopped drinking alcohol.

• wimwim
    edited December 2023

@Antos3345 said:

@Lorichs said:

@Antos3345 said:

Are you hosting Pure Acid in Drambo, or doing it some other way?

If you're hosting in Drambo, just put a Midi Channel Filter module in front of it. Change the mode to "Set" and the channel to 10. Trigger notes start at C1 and go chromatically up from there.

• @wim said:

@Antos3345 said:

@Lorichs said:

@Antos3345 said:

Are you hosting Pure Acid in Drambo, or doing it some other way?

If you're hosting in Drambo, just put a Midi Channel Filter module in front of it. Change the mode to "Set" and the channel to 10. Trigger notes start at C1 and go chromatically up from there.

I am hosting Pure Acid in Drambo. I did all of that and turned off the play drum sequence in PA. I’ll try it again. Thanks

• I got it working. This is great ! Thanks you all!

• Pure Acid when standalone, is how you set midi channels. you can set the midi channels if you do not like 10 and 1.