Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack by mifki Limited - Live!!!

Comments

• Some great new modules in the update like BogAudio LPG. Also, the 32 parameters for automation, woo!

• Hi! I am having major issues trying to sync miRack to AUM. I am getting a lot of skipping of clocks when trying to reset and clock different stuff from the different clock dividers and sequencers.

I am trying to get a 24ppqn clock for Topograph and my hardware Grids, a bunch of different divisions for different step sequencers and a "master continuos reset" instead of a simple start at the beginning of playback, as I like building complex sequences that go back to the 1 maybe after 16, 32 or 64 steps.

Im doing tests with this patch

So trying to get Clocked to output my 24ppqn, a nice division to run a step sequencer at different ratios, and having a nice reset that brings everything back to the 1. But that reset is not working properly and every once in a while it either skips or seems to double trigger stuff so the sequencers keep offseting and going out of sync. Also I cannot, for the life of me, find a way to get the GridSeq to reset on the step 1, it always resets to step 2.

If I am sending Bar output to Clocked reset input, it does sync better , but problem is that resets everything every bar, so I cannot get stuff longer than 4 or 8 steps depending on the resolution, which is a huge compromise.

Is anyone encountering similar problems? It actually feels a bit more stable when using it standalone and using Ableton Link, but that is pretty annoying as it doesnt allow for more than one instance, and frankly, I would feel as I was underusing such an amazing tool if it cannot be used inside AUM properly. I am doing some "stress tests" by leaving a drum beat running for 15-20 minutes and every single time I get back to it, miRack has drifted from AUMs tempo :(

Any info or help will be amazing! I am using a 6th Gen iPad running the latest OS

• edited July 2021

@pao I rarely use resets so not sure if I can help. But why not send a clock from Impromptu to Grids Run instead of the Run from Host? I typically use Impromptu as master clock synced from Host module and derive all other clocks from there.

Also, is Impromptu set to use Momentary Run in right click settings?

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

@pao, I'm not sure what your settings are under the hood, but what I suggest is:

• Set the host clock rate to Beat / 8 from the module menu. This will give you a more accurate clock to start with.
    • Set Clocked to use this rate by pressing the Mode + button until you see 8 in the BPM.
    • [Edit] Disconnect BPM from Clocked, and instead run clock from host module to BPM on Clocked.
    • Set Clocked to use Momentary RUN input
    • [Edit] Send Run from Clocked to Seq-B Topograph rather than from the host sync module. You'll get less variation if everything sync related is coming from one source. The host module is responsible for the master sync and reset, but everything else should come from Clocked.
    • You might consider setting Clocked to use "Reset when RUN is turned off".

I haven't tested with your patch, but those are the steps I have taken in the past to get a good stable clock within MiRack.

• Hi! Thanks for the rapid responses :smiley:

Yeah, I have Clocked set to Momentary Run and Topograph is also running in momentary Run. I also use Reset when RUN is off in Impromptu, that way everything resets when it stops.

Run isnt sending clock, right? Its just a logic signal, like a continuos gate (or maybe just a trigger that only happens when playback starts), so how would it work as a clock? Im clocking GridSequencer from Impromptu Clocked (either with different clock divisions so I get longer sequences, or straight from the main clock and a /4 to change rows).

Again, is it possible to use Run from Clocked to clock Seq-8? I thought Run was just one tick to get things moving, not a continuos clock. I do get how having everything synced to one module would give more consistency. My main issue is that I feel that Clocked isnt working in a consistent way.

I will test changing the clock resolution in the Host module and in Impromptu, I thought the Host clock rate only applied to its clock output, which I am not using, whereas BPM out was indepndent. Maybe this does make it work better

Once again, thanks! Any more info will be amazing! Ill keep you updated :)

• paopao
    edited July 2021

edit

If I clock Impromptu from the Host clock output, instead of BPM out, it does run in P8. Is this supposed to be more stable than the BPM out? So far seems to be working a bit more precise. Im going to leave my sequence running for some time and get back to it to see how it stands.

(I cant still get that GridSeq to reset and do a straight 16step sequence, thats driving me nuts)

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

Sorry @Pao, I typed that wrong. I meant send run from Clocked to Topograph, not Seq-8.

Oh, and don’t send BPM from the host sync module. Connect clock from the host module to BPM on Clocked instead. Sorry, I missed that. It’s been awhile.

It should work with that fix.

• haha no problem!

Its been running for 28 mins with clock from the Host (instead of BPM) setting Clocked to p8 and the Host to /8 and its keeping sync great!!!

Ooooh yeaaah this is amazing!!!! Thank you so much!

• 👍

• Ive just had the mooost fun and cool AUm/miRack/iPad session ive ever had! This is amazing!!! Hahaha thank you sooo much! Will post a video

• @wim said:

• Set the host clock rate to Beat / 8 from the module menu. This will give you a more accurate clock to start with.
    • Set Clocked to use this rate by pressing the Mode + button until you see 8 in the BPM.
    • [Edit] Disconnect BPM from Clocked, and instead run clock from host module to BPM on Clocked.
    • Set Clocked to use Momentary RUN input
    • [Edit] Send Run from Clocked to Seq-B Topograph rather than from the host sync module. You'll get less variation if everything sync related is coming from one source. The host module is responsible for the master sync and reset, but everything else should come from Clocked.
    • You might consider setting Clocked to use "Reset when RUN is turned off".

If I set up Clocked like this, I get the number in BPM display go all wild when running and it's inconsistent.
    Weird, can't see why this mode doesn't work for me. I've double checked the steps...

• @Carnbot So how I am using it now (and its working amazingly good, its even properly syncing stuff that was a bit funky):

HOST set to clock rat /8
    Impromptu Clocked set to P8 (pressing the mode button)
    Impromptu set to Reset when Run stops
    Impromptu set to Momentary Run

Start from HOST to Reset in Impromptu
    Run from HOST to Run in Impromptu
    Clock from HOST (not bpm, that was my error) to BPM in Impromptu

I am personally using Impromptu to send a reset every 32 or 16 clocks, to send a x24 clock for Grids/Topograph, normal clock from Impropmptus main clock out (the one up right, not the three outs) and the third cdiv/mult output for a funky division or multiplication to run other sequencers. I am sending also clock and the reset from Impromptu (not the actual reset out, but the /32 or /16 clock from one of the three outs) to other clock dividers and it all works great now

• edited July 2021

@pao said:
    @Carnbot So how I am using it now (and its working amazingly good, its even properly syncing stuff that was a bit funky):

HOST set to clock rat /8
    Impromptu Clocked set to P8 (pressing the mode button)
    Impromptu set to Reset when Run stops
    Impromptu set to Momentary Run

Start from HOST to Reset in Impromptu
    Run from HOST to Run in Impromptu
    Clock from HOST (not bpm, that was my error) to BPM in Impromptu

I am personally using Impromptu to send a reset every 32 or 16 clocks, to send a x24 clock for Grids/Topograph, normal clock from Impropmptus main clock out (the one up right, not the three outs) and the third cdiv/mult output for a funky division or multiplication to run other sequencers. I am sending also clock and the reset from Impromptu (not the actual reset out, but the /32 or /16 clock from one of the three outs) to other clock dividers and it all works great now

It's strange that p-8 mode doesn't work for me. This is what I get wth these settings

• ahhhh got it, it's a 2048 buffer bug.

need to log this with the mirack Dev :)

• edited July 2021

I just picked up mirack yesterday and its awesome! I bought it mostly to use individual modules inside drambo (though I may also use it for larger feedback patches).

When you modulate parameters in mirack there are two options: send audio/cv signals in via the audio inputs, or modulate the AUv3 parameters. I don't have a great feeling for the trade-offs between the two. I assume the audio/cv inputs are higher resolution? And there are only a few audio/cv inputs so with larger modules not all the available cv inputs can be mapped out.

I'm curious what sort of logic other folks use when deciding whether to modulate via AU-param or audio. Is one more efficient processor wise? Does AUv3 param modulation work ok for some modules but not others? Things like this.

• edited July 2021

[I thought I was editing and instead quoted]

• This new module Meander looks like it would be cool as a midi out source in AUM just got to figure out how to use it now !

• So a new update for miRack, Christmas day for me!

Meander looks a gorgeous sequencer for generative music, and looking at the description in the update log, it has been 30+ years in the making by Ken Chaffin.

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2021

@Jumpercollins I‘m also working on that :) I already made some cool additions to generate more varied rythms for the chords, bass and melody.

• Just started playing around with Meander...very interesting...

• Very cool update, but like so many other times, quite often updates don’t show up in my “account” tab??? I have to go directly the apps page in the store to see that there’s an available update. Does this happen to other people too? Thank goodness for the AB forum or honestly I would never know about updates a lot of times. 👍🏻

• @wim Some time ago you were describing on how to get thighter sync for miRack midi-AU by feeding the clock of the host sync module (set to beat/8) into Clocked (set to P8 mode). I know that this worked some time ago but i can‘t find a stored patch where is used that trick.

Is it possible that there‘s something broken regarding this feature with the new release ? If i now set it up like that, the tempo is just stumbeling between several values.

If i look at the clock signal with a Logic Analyser, there seem to be spurious spikes between two short pulses followed by a pause ... Is this normal ? I didn‘t look at signal back in the day when it was working.... I imagined the clock beeing regular pulses.

Could you check some of your patches using this feature ?

Using the normal host sync BPM -> Clocked BPM (in CV mode) work ok‘ish, but after two or three minutes or so, the beat starts to drift against the host metronom :/

• wimwim
    edited August 2021

@_ki said:
    @wim Some time ago you were describing on how to get thighter sync for miRack midi-AU by feeding the clock of the host sync module (set to beat/8) into Clocked (set to P8 mode). I know that this worked some time ago but i can‘t find a stored patch where is used that trick.

Is it possible that there‘s something broken regarding this feature with the new release ? If i now set it up like that, the tempo is just stumbeling between several values.

If i look at the clock signal with a Logic Analyser, there seem to be spurious spikes between two short pulses followed by a pause ... Is this normal ? I didn‘t look at signal back in the day when it was working.... I imagined the clock beeing regular pulses.

Could you check some of your patches using this feature ?

Using the normal host sync BPM -> Clocked BPM (in CV mode) work ok‘ish, but after two or three minutes or so, the beat starts to drift against the host metronom :/

It's working completely fine here in AUM. You're running host sync Clock (not BPM) to Clocked BPM input?

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2021

@wim
    It's working completely fine here in AUM. You're running host sync Clock (not BPM) to Clocked BPM input?

Yes.

The BPM jumps permanently from 70 to 350. The expected triggered note output should be 1/8th. You‘ll see how it changes in the lowerest row in the Logic Analyzer. The top row is the clock, which is also irregular.

Ahhhh - i got it. From my midi sync experiments AUM was still set to 2048 samples/buffer. Back at 512, everything is fine again. It seems that miRack host sync module doesn‘t work with longer buffers !

Thanks for making me check everything a second time It’s like when you got a mysterious bug during programming you can‘t find - just explain the whole topic to someone else (The other person only needs to nod and say ‚and why’ from time to time ... ). Quite often this helps to find the culprit.

• Excellent. Yep, that’s the beauty of this forum.
    I really need to keep this buffer size thing nearer to the top of my troubleshooting checklist. I always forget that, and would have never thought of it in this context.

• @lasselu said:
    Just started playing around with Meander...very interesting...

More than interesting ;) it’s a gem (:
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/2125/mirack-ps-meander-nanostudio2-scope-of-midi-sequencing

• @_ki yeah exactly the same issue I had a few posts earlier in this thread :)
    I did mention to the dev but not sure if he's had a chance to fix it yet. hope he does because I'm using 2048 a lot these days.

• @carnbot In my case it‘s only the 2048 buffer size that produces wierd clock signals in the host-sync module. I verified that 64, 128, 256, 512 and 1024 buffer sizes are working with 44010 and 48khz sample rate.

I now added a bug-report to the miRack forum.

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2021

On PatchStorage: MidiGen - Controlled Meander a host synced AUv3 midi generator for bass, harmony and melody notes (on midi channels 1,2 and 3) using the new Meander module plus additional modules for synced note length variations and Meander control:

By adding more modules, one can easily add more interactive control and variation:

• Add a MOiRE module for 16 scenes of 16 control voltages that controls all note-length variation parameter settings.
    • Add more Trigger MK1 modules for big LATCH button to toggle harmony, melody and bass output instead of the tiny button in the Meander module
    • Add a second Meander module controlled by the same TACT & clock inputs as the main module that generates a quieter secondary melody line on midi channel 4, use another WALK module to change note-length of the secondary melody line.

I have a Controlled Meander++ version with these features, but understanding which of the 16 knobs of MOiRE controls which of the note length variation parameters and how to setup own scenes requires some investigation on the wiring and reading of MOiREs manual. The generated music doesn’t sound that much different from the published patch, but offers more interactive control (rhythmic changes, toggling parts, melody is more varied and sometimes playing duophonic). I suppose the learning effect is stronger if one adds the module and all the connections to the LFOs division, skew, phase, offset, scale oneself

• Is there a simple module in miRack that can delay a signal slightly? I’ve got an idea I want to try out