Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack by mifki Limited - Live!!!

Comments

• @MadGav : does that mean that MiRack will always be restricted to a subset of VCV? Even if some of the VCV racks use open source licencing?

• @sambo I've just disappeared down a rabbit hole refreshing my memory of this, I’ll try to summarise...

VCV Rack 1.0 onward are GPL3 with exemptions, one reason being to prevent forking and selling. However previously the license was BSD which does allow this. So MiRack is a fork before this license change.

MiRack cannot duplicate new VCV Rack features added in 1.0 onward which includes polyphony. A new implementation of polyphony could be added, of course that would be far more work.

• Thanks MadGav - I appreciate the reply - helps me understand a little about where things are with Mirack / VCV - I’m so impressed with Mirack and am gradually learning how to work with it. Knowing where the Mirack project stands gives me some additional impetus to go further. I guess we have to balance the limitations of Mono vs the way that Mirack is currently able to integrate so well with other apps in the iOS / MacOs environment.

Really interested to see how it will work on the new Apple M1 chips. Could be a game changer.

Excited to see what the updates for 2021 bring...

• @sambo said:
    Thanks MadGav - I appreciate the reply - helps me understand a little about where things are with Mirack / VCV - I’m so impressed with Mirack and am gradually learning how to work with it. Knowing where the Mirack project stands gives me some additional impetus to go further. I guess we have to balance the limitations of Mono vs the way that Mirack is currently able to integrate so well with other apps in the iOS / MacOs environment.

Really interested to see how it will work on the new Apple M1 chips. Could be a game changer.

Excited to see what the updates for 2021 bring...

Shouldn't be forgotten that you can use multiple instances of mirack and one of the the poly-to-multiple mono utilities to turn multiple mirack instances into a polysynth.

• @mifki said:
    You need to set Clocked and CLK1 rate (in the module menu) to the same PPQN and connect CLK1 to BPM input. That should be it, additionally you can connect STOP to RESET, for example.

I'm trying to get MiRack to sync with my hardware system - using Mirack in stand alone mode.

No matter what I try, I cannot get Clocked to respond to incoming midi clock.

I can get it to start, stop and reset (although it's a little fiddly.. lol)

I'm sending clock from an Elektron Digitakt (Yes, I checked it's settings to make sure it is sending midi clock).

I've tried over 5pin midi and USB midi, but the Clocked module just stays on 120bpm no matter what I do.
    It' not actually syncing at all.

Anyone know of a video on this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading! :)

• @ junbug: With the app 'Midi Link Sync' I can get Mirack to sync to the DT's clock using the 'Stellar Modular Link' module. Obeying the DT transport start stop is a bit rough - it seems to operate 50% of the time - so would work in a studio but not live setting.

• @ junbug: okay so this works in terms of sync and clock start stop. Midi Link Sync sets the tempo for both Mirack and the DT. And everything starts stops with the Run button on the CLOCKED. DT set to slave mode - cant get it to reliably act as a master in this context though.

• So there is no way to sync BPM without using an extra app? That's a workflow killer and not stable. No other options? :'(

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

@Junebug said:

@mifki said:
    You need to set Clocked and CLK1 rate (in the module menu) to the same PPQN and connect CLK1 to BPM input. That should be it, additionally you can connect STOP to RESET, for example.

I'm trying to get MiRack to sync with my hardware system - using Mirack in stand alone mode.

No matter what I try, I cannot get Clocked to respond to incoming midi clock.

I can get it to start, stop and reset (although it's a little fiddly.. lol)

I'm sending clock from an Elektron Digitakt (Yes, I checked it's settings to make sure it is sending midi clock).

I've tried over 5pin midi and USB midi, but the Clocked module just stays on 120bpm no matter what I do.
    It' not actually syncing at all.

Anyone know of a video on this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading! :)

I'm able to do it without issue other than MIDI Clock jitter. Set the midi input clock 1 rate to 24 PPQN, then ress the Mode button in the Clocked module repeatedly until you see P24.

Honestly though, sending the midi clock to Audiobus and then letting Audiobus bridge to Link is better. Audiobus does clock smoothing quite well, and presents no stability problems at all.

• Thank you for your help!

I see what you mean about the clock jitter now! Whoa~!
    It's following tempo for me now, though - really appreciate the help!

It doesn't seem to stop when I press stop on the Digitakt now though... :D
    Does it matter if i'm using 5pin midi, not USB midi? :#

• @Junebug said:
    Thank you for your help!

I see what you mean about the clock jitter now! Whoa~!
    It's following tempo for me now, though - really appreciate the help!

It doesn't seem to stop when I press stop on the Digitakt now though... :D
    Does it matter if i'm using 5pin midi, not USB midi? :#

Do you have midi input Run patched to Run in Clocked? Try toggling "Momentary RUN input" from the menu in Clocked.

Sorry, just guessing here. My external midi clock I was testing with isn't available at the moment.

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

Ultimate advice though is just to use use Audiobus. You'll be much happier I think.
    Among the many advantages is excellent clock smoothing and adjustable timing offset per app/hardware.

• Really appreciate the help! Thanks!

• No problem. If Momentary RUN doesn't fix it for you, let me know and I'll bust out my hardware and see if I can remember how I had it working. It definitely works some how. B)

• Elektron gear heads recommeded to me to reverse the sync, ie have AUM be master, and send the clock to my Analog Four, and Mirack/samplr/drambo... My initial thought would be to have the hardware clock run things but i will see if this is an easier and more robust solution.

• wim is correct.
    DT: set as clock master sending Stop / Start transport to Mirack
    Audiobus: set DT as midi clock sync source using usb midi
    Mirack: have Audiobus set in midi input module. Set Clocked to 24ppqn as per wim's suggestions. Start goes to Run on Clocked Stop goes to Reset on Clocked. The jitter is visually noticable but sonically seems okay. At least the DT's transport now controls the Mirack Clock.
    I think Midi Link Sync might have less jitter though but I'm not sure the DT's transport works in that configuration.

• I read in the thread sometime ago that the bluetooth connection din't work and it seems it is still broken.
    My favourite ios app, thanks for the great work

• @Instrumental_reason said:
    Elektron gear heads recommeded to me to reverse the sync, ie have AUM be master, and send the clock to my Analog Four, and Mirack/samplr/drambo... My initial thought would be to have the hardware clock run things but i will see if this is an easier and more robust solution.

Yes, that is probably the best way. The sync to miRack and Drambo should be perfect if they're hosted in AUM. I can't say for the sync to Samplr, but probably others can comment. Sync out from AUM should be pretty good. With iOS and hardware, it seems best to have iOS be the master. However, many people don't want to do that. In that case, using Audiobus as the clock to Link bridge is ideal.

• edited January 2021

Does miRack have an All Pass Filter? Trying to build a phaser, and can't make due without one..

• Downloaded VCV rack on my Mac. Bought some premium modules (love VULT). Now I don’t have a life anymore. What a rabbit hole. Damn.

• edited January 2021

@Charlesalbert said:
    Downloaded VCV rack on my Mac. Bought some premium modules (love VULT). Now I don’t have a life anymore. What a rabbit hole. Damn.

Be sure to watch Omri Cohen's tutorials for the best creative ideas on using the newer modules VCV keeps adding (like the lovely hardware-based Instruo)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuWKHSHTHMV_nVSeNH4gYAg

• T> @Aletheia

saw the live yesterday on YT. Wow. I felt literally in love. Just hope to learn to be so prepared like him in a remote future.

• This little app saved me a lot of money. I've always wondered about modular hardware - since it's all the rage - and now that I used the app, I realize that I can't stand modular.

• edited January 2021

@Charlesalbert said:
    T> @Aletheia

saw the live yesterday on YT. Wow. I felt literally in love. Just hope to learn to be so prepared like him in a remote future.

Go back in his video history to about the time when 1.0 was launched with polyphony and such and you'll understand loads. Back then he had a less complex setup and usually went module by module. You could even go earlier to check his tutorials on the Turing Machine or Clouds since those are real staples of the modular world.

• No new updates or betas for a while... also no news from @mifki

Anyone contacted him recently? Hope all is ok

• edited February 2021

There’s more activity on his forum, just read a post earlier, another GPL dispute 😬

https://discuss.mirack.app/

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Löv the update, especially the expert sleepers calibrator, will test it tonight with es-9, hoping to calibrate v/Oct input. Fantastic update

• OSC integration could be a very useful addition. Thanks to the developer.

• Glad to see more updates, so much of this I haven't explored yet :)