Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• @SevenSystems said:

@baconcow said:
    Do I need Audiobus 3 or AUM to be able to use this with Korg Gadget 2?

No, you can just send the MIDI directly into Gadget. There's a manual section dedicated to just this setup -- if you would like to take a look:

http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/manual/

("Example Setups", "Using a multi-timbral app with multiple MIDI channels and sounds: Korg Gadget")

Let me know if anything's unclear.

Thank you. I have Korg Gadget 2 and I like it, but I find the music editor (piano roll?) in it quite limited. It is very difficult to edit a piece and was hoping to find a small (not full DAW) application that can improve that aspect. Perhaps, I would even edit the Midi in Xequence2 and send/import it to Korg Gadget 2 for further processing. Is this a proper use of Xequence 2? I am having no luck finding any videos of it, and only a few of the first, so I am trying to make sure I fully understand it.

• edited July 2019

@baconcow said:

@SevenSystems said:

@baconcow said:

No, you can just send the MIDI directly into Gadget. There's a manual section dedicated to just this setup -- if you would like to take a look:

("Example Setups", "Using a multi-timbral app with multiple MIDI channels and sounds: Korg Gadget")

Thank you. I have Korg Gadget 2 and I like it, but I find the music editor (piano roll?) in it quite limited. It is very difficult to edit a piece and was hoping to find a small (not full DAW) application that can improve that aspect. Perhaps, I would even edit the Midi in Xequence2 and send/import it to Korg Gadget 2 for further processing. Is this a proper use of Xequence 2? I am having no luck finding any videos of it, and only a few of the first, so I am trying to make sure I fully understand it.

You're on the right "track" there (no pun intended), Xequence + Gadget are really a dream combination (indeed, the two demo projects that are included with Xequence use Gadget as the sound generator).

Exporting the MIDI from Xequence to Gadget as a file does not really work well, because Gadget's MIDI import is a bit limited.

But there's no real need to do that -- you can finish your entire composition and arrangement in Xequence, there's nothing you can't do via that route.

For the final step though -- getting the audio of your song out of Gadget -- you'll either have to record the audio using an interface, or host Gadget in AUM or Audiobus and then record its output into an audio file. That's the only thing that is not doable with Gadget + Xequence alone.

• @SevenSystems said:

@baconcow said:

@SevenSystems said:

@baconcow said:

You're on the right "track" there (no pun intended), Xequence + Gadget are really a dream combination (indeed, the two demo projects that are included with Xequence use Gadget as the sound generator).

Exporting the MIDI from Xequence to Gadget as a file does not really work well, because Gadget's MIDI import is a bit limited.

But there's no real need to do that -- you can finish your entire composition and arrangement in Xequence, there's nothing you can't do via that route.

For the final step though -- getting the audio of your song out of Gadget -- you'll either have to record the audio using an interface, or host Gadget in AUM or Audiobus and then record its output into an audio file. That's the only thing that is not doable with Gadget + Xequence alone.

Thanks again. I had not considered just leaving the Midi in Xequence. I am quite new with Korg Gadget 2 and, apart from the SoundCloud integration, I didn't even know you could get the full audio out of it.

• @baconcow said:

@SevenSystems said:

@baconcow said:

@SevenSystems said:

@baconcow said:

Thanks again. I had not considered just leaving the Midi in Xequence. I am quite new with Korg Gadget 2 and, apart from the SoundCloud integration, I didn't even know you could get the full audio out of it.

No problem -- Gadget is amazing for its sounds, but if you want a full and optimized sequencing approach, then I think Xequence will be your best bet. But I'm obviously biased! ;)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @slicetwo as @rs2000 has so lovingly pointed out already 😉, Xequence has extensive drum mapping support including more than 40 factory drum maps, which of course also include Patterning 😎

You're epic! I'll have to really dive in. Quick question. How do I find other patterns I have made but have removed from the time line? I keep losing things. Haha.

• @slicetwo said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @slicetwo as @rs2000 has so lovingly pointed out already 😉, Xequence has extensive drum mapping support including more than 40 factory drum maps, which of course also include Patterning 😎

You're epic! I'll have to really dive in. Quick question. How do I find other patterns I have made but have removed from the time line? I keep losing things. Haha.

Thanks :) Oh, you have to watch out -- once you delete the LAST occurence of a clip with a certain number (what you call pattern) from the timeline, then it's gone permanently! If you still have the project open now, just undo your way back.

• @SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:
    I’ve got the update / new version and need to play with it more. Are there any videos available demoing the new features / functionality @SevenSystems ?

Thanks for getting the update! As always, we're strictly anti-video, but of course I'm still hoping for others who are more talented at producing video content :)

Hehe fair enough, just wondered if I was missing a hidden stash of tutorials 😁

:) @gmslayton has made a bunch of great videos for Xequence 1, most of that actually still applies... but yeah, a showcase of the new features and workflow enhancements in v2 would sure be nice.

I will have to put this on my todo list, which isn't very long, its just finding the time! Congratulation @SevenSystems on the new update. Looks great.

• @gmslayton said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:
    I’ve got the update / new version and need to play with it more. Are there any videos available demoing the new features / functionality @SevenSystems ?

Thanks for getting the update! As always, we're strictly anti-video, but of course I'm still hoping for others who are more talented at producing video content :)

:) @gmslayton has made a bunch of great videos for Xequence 1, most of that actually still applies... but yeah, a showcase of the new features and workflow enhancements in v2 would sure be nice.

I will have to put this on my todo list, which isn't very long, its just finding the time! Congratulation @SevenSystems on the new update. Looks great.

No rush, you've already earned your place in the Xequence Hall Of Fame for making the ONLY videos on the internets about it! (which is strange, considering that there's videos even about FartORama apps...)

• @SevenSystems said:

@gmslayton said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

No rush, you've already earned your place in the Xequence Hall Of Fame for making the ONLY videos on the internets about it! (which is strange, considering that there's videos even about FartORama apps...)

Perhaps people get too lost in the wonders within to think about filming it ;)

• I can imagine adding AU hosting to it so that AUM or Audiobus are not required anymore and you can essentially stay inside one app, but let's not be too optimistic for now 🙂

@SevenSystems you know this is what everyone wants… ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

@slicetwo said:

@SevenSystems said:

Thanks :) Oh, you have to watch out -- once you delete the LAST occurence of a clip with a certain number (what you call pattern) from the timeline, then it's gone permanently! If you still have the project open now, just undo your way back.

Oh boy. Ok. That’s dangerous. Haha. Any chance you’re planning on implementing a clip selection tool?

• @AndyPlankton that is a very true statement. It happens to me all the time. I will be mucking about and think, that would be some good content. Then I realize I am not setup for videos. So then by the time I set things up the moment would be lost.

• @slicetwo said:

@SevenSystems said:

@slicetwo said:

@SevenSystems said:

Oh boy. Ok. That’s dangerous. Haha. Any chance you’re planning on implementing a clip selection tool?

Could you provide a few more details so I have a good idea of what that would do? :)

• @gmslayton said:
    @AndyPlankton that is a very true statement. It happens to me all the time. I will be mucking about and think, that would be some good content. Then I realize I am not setup for videos. So then by the time I set things up the moment would be lost.

I'm trying to get setup for recording performances, I'd imagine the same will be true of that, "Damn I wish I'd recorded that" :)

While I got your attention...wonder if you might be able to point me in the right direction on a couple of things.

I have an AUM session with RuismakerNoir (using built in SEQ), Rozeta Bassline and Collider, 1 x atom piano roll. I am trying to record the MIDI out from this into Xequence 2 on my phone, so I can transfer the MIDI to the iPad...

I am struggling with a couple of things...
    How do I get the MIDI from Atom to come out on it's own channel ? I cannot find any control for which channel it gets sent to ?
    Once I have a multi-track session recorded in Xequence 2....I export the MIDI file....then via dropbox transfer it to the iPad, when I open that MIDI file in Xequence 2 on the iPad it is all on a single track ? I undertsand that a MIDI file cannot distinguish between different devices, but it can determine which channels.

• @SevenSystems said:

@gusgranite said:
    @SevenSystems Will the DAW you are working on also include Xequence 2 features? Anything you can share on the roadmap? Thx.

It is in fact the other way around -- Xequence 2 is based on the DAW 🙂 during development, it became apparent that finishing that up will take much more time than anticipated, but the additions and optimizations for the sequencer were already great so it made sense to release it separately.

The DAW roadmap is not fully certain, but it already has a traditional mixer with 6 aux sends, 4 subgroups, unlimited insert effects per channel, and recursive routing (feedback between channels).

I can imagine adding AU hosting to it so that AUM or Audiobus are not required anymore and you can essentially stay inside one app, but let's not be too optimistic for now 🙂

That sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing.

• @SevenSystems said:

@slicetwo said:

@SevenSystems said:

@slicetwo said:

@SevenSystems said:

Could you provide a few more details so I have a good idea of what that would do? :)

I use flstudio as my daw so I’m coming from that perspective. Basically, let’s say I make 5 different patterns on one track. There would be a menu per track if each pattern. BM3 has something like that, too. Just something to allow youm O choose previously create patterns that you may have removed from the timeline but want to put back.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@gmslayton said:
    @AndyPlankton that is a very true statement. It happens to me all the time. I will be mucking about and think, that would be some good content. Then I realize I am not setup for videos. So then by the time I set things up the moment would be lost.

I'm trying to get setup for recording performances, I'd imagine the same will be true of that, "Damn I wish I'd recorded that" :)

While I got your attention...wonder if you might be able to point me in the right direction on a couple of things.

I have an AUM session with RuismakerNoir (using built in SEQ), Rozeta Bassline and Collider, 1 x atom piano roll. I am trying to record the MIDI out from this into Xequence 2 on my phone, so I can transfer the MIDI to the iPad...

How do I get the MIDI from Atom to come out on it's own channel ? I cannot find any control for which channel it gets sent to ?
    Once I have a multi-track session recorded in Xequence 2....I export the MIDI file....then via dropbox transfer it to the iPad, when I open that MIDI file in Xequence 2 on the iPad it is all on a single track ? I undertsand that a MIDI file cannot distinguish between different devices, but it can determine which channels.

Currently, when you export a MIDI file, Xequence only creates separate MIDI file tracks for instruments, not track lanes. That is something I want to make configurable in a short term update.

See also the FAQ:

• edited July 2019

@slicetwo said:

@SevenSystems said:

@slicetwo said:

@SevenSystems said:

@slicetwo said:

@SevenSystems said:

I use flstudio as my daw so I’m coming from that perspective. Basically, let’s say I make 5 different patterns on one track. There would be a menu per track if each pattern. BM3 has something like that, too. Just something to allow youm O choose previously create patterns that you may have removed from the timeline but want to put back.

Ah I see. The easiest way to achieve that in Xequence would be to just add an "attic" subtrack that is muted, and move your archived clips there. Also has the advantage that you can see all the contents at a glance.

• Would someone be so kind as to show me how to route Patterning 2 into Xequence 2 and explain to me the reasons you would want to?
    I’ve been having a bit of trouble figuring this out and understanding the potential applications.

😉👍🏻
    Thanks!

• Never really got into the first version, so I skip this one.

• @mannix said:
    Never really got into the first version, so I skip this one.

Thanks for the great wisdom.

• @SevenSystems said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@gmslayton said:

Currently, when you export a MIDI file, Xequence only creates separate MIDI file tracks for instruments, not track lanes. That is something I want to make configurable in a short term update.

See also the FAQ:

OK, I realise my mistake....I was adding a new track in the main view and then changing the MIDI Source channel in it's settings.....I now think I have to create a new instrument under the MIDI icon instead ?

• edited July 2019

@Eye0sStudios said:

@mannix said:

The only conclusion is that you should use the apps you buy at a fast pace because new paid versions can be around the corner. This limited introduction price of version 2.0 is imo not the way I would follow as a dev. It forces you, as a consumer, to again update fast else you miss the offer. Would rather have seen a more relaxed possibilty through iap to upgrade to the 2.0 version if you already own the first version. It's just more relaxed. No problem to pay for a substantial update but this goes to fast for me.

• edited July 2019

@Steaders said:

Would someone be so kind as to show me how to route Patterning 2 into Xequence 2 and explain to me the reasons you would want to?
    I’ve been having a bit of trouble figuring this out and understanding the potential applications.

😉👍🏻
    Thanks!

I can't imagine why you would want to give up all the probability and variation baked into Patterning's sequencer.

• edited July 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:
    @Steaders said:

Would someone be so kind as to show me how to route Patterning 2 into Xequence 2 and explain to me the reasons you would want to?

😉👍🏻
    Thanks!

I can't imagine why you would want to give up all the probability and variation baked into Patterning's sequencer.

Well said. My thoughts exactly but I feel like I’m missing something.

• @mannix said:

@Eye0sStudios said:

@mannix said:

The only conclusion is that you should use the apps you buy at a fast pace because new paid versions can be around the corner. This limited introduction price of version 2.0 is imo not the way I would follow as a dev. It forces you, as a consumer, to again update fast else you miss the offer. Would rather have seen a more relaxed possibilty through iap to upgrade to the 2.0 version if you already own the first version. It's just more relaxed. No problem to pay for a substantial update but this goes to fast for me.

I’m inclined to agree. I think I spent about $30 CDN on Xequence 1 all in. It’s worth it and I love it but it’s still pretty new to me. In my mind Xequence 2 is an update rather than a new app (but iOS forces devs to make a choice here). And the Xequence DAW sounds like it will be Xequence 2 plus more so I’m going to stay on the fence and see how this develops.

• @mannix said:

@Eye0sStudios said:

@mannix said:

Nobody forces you into anything.
    Xequence 1 won't stop working and Xequence 2 is already cheaper than some IAPs in other apps.
    What more can @SevenSystems do than announce a special offer for everybody here who's interested? An IAP version upgrade could be an option indeed, but at some point a developer has to decide which route to go - and obviously most users prefer it the way it is.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@gmslayton said:

re: Atom. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, all its output is sent on the same channel.

Photon will capture on multiple midi channels , send on the same channels and export multitrack midi files. I often capture jams with Photon and export the midi file to Xequence.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    @Steaders said:

😉👍🏻
    Thanks!

@Steaders said:
    Well said. My thoughts exactly but I feel like I’m missing something.

You don't have to do everything in Xequence 2.
    Try setting up Patterning to receive MIDI Clock from Xequence 2 and let Patterning follow Xequence's transport. Best of both worlds.

• @mannix said:

@Eye0sStudios said:

@mannix said:

Upgrade via IAP is a major technical hassle among other things. That is one of the reasons it is seldom done. There are other reasons, too.