Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@baconcow said:
    Am I able to use Xequence 2 to send midi audio to the Yonac Galileo 2 (and their other apps like this) in the same was as you can with Gadget 2?

Yes. You can send midi to anything that can receive midi.

Galileo is a little different than some synths in that it uses separate midi channels for the top, bottom, and bass keyboards. As Xequence is one channel per instrument, you would actually set up three "instruments" if you wanted to use it that way. You'd call them something like Galileo Top, Galileo Bottom, and Galileo Bass.

• edited July 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:
    I’ve got the update / new version and need to play with it more. Are there any videos available demoing the new features / functionality @SevenSystems ?

Thanks for getting the update! As always, we're strictly anti-video, but of course I'm still hoping for others who are more talented at producing video content :)

I have to ask. Why are you “strictly anti-video”? Seems like a odd thing to say.

• @Steaders said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:
    I’ve got the update / new version and need to play with it more. Are there any videos available demoing the new features / functionality @SevenSystems ?

Thanks for getting the update! As always, we're strictly anti-video, but of course I'm still hoping for others who are more talented at producing video content :)

I have to ask. Why are you “strictly anti-video”? Seems like a odd thing to say.

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek -- I myself prefer having information layed out in front of me in a structured and indexable manner (manual), but I realize many users prefer "learning by seeing".

That's totally fine, but producing a good video is much more time-consuming than writing good documentation (at least for me), so I simply cannot fit it into the available time. I try to compensate with a really good written manual. So if you want to give it a try, you may be positively surprised 🙂

• @Steaders said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

I personally don't like videos either. For finding out how stuff works, videos are often a big time waster - like watching a 5min video when a good manual can give the answer in 30 seconds. And you can search a manual, while with a video, you often don't even know beforehand if the answer to your question is given at all.
    I think that "good manual" is the point here. One with all the details required to understand what's going on.

• edited July 2019

Thanks for the response and I appreciate that it takes time to make a video. Thing is, I’ve learnt how to use all my iOS music apps by seeing (Thank you Jakob Haq, Doug at the sound test room and the Audiodabbler) and if I’m honest, I am personally finding your app to be a little complicated (particularly in regard to routing) and would definitely benefit from a video tutorial.
    I’ve tried to follow theaudiodabbler’s tutorials for the original xequence but once he gets to the demonstration in part 2, he moves so fast, it’s hard to keep up. It doesn’t help that it’s a tutorial for the original version.

If I were you, and I know I’m not. I would want my app to be inviting and accessible to all levels of music maker. I see the potential but right now it’s a little out of reach (to me). I know it’ll come, but I’m still hoping for that “a-ha” moment.

• edited July 2019

@Steaders Thanks - yes, obviously I also want the largest possible audience to understand and efficiently use it. But a compromise has to be made here. I hope someone will find the time to make as great a video series about Xequence 2 as @gmslayton did for 1. 🙂

EDIT: Regarding routing, Xequence 2 by default has vastly simplified routing (tracks for instruments are managed automatically), so maybe it's worth a second look.

• edited July 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    @Steaders Thanks - yes, obviously I also want the largest possible audience to understand and efficiently use it. But a compromise has to be made here. I hope someone will find the time to make as great a video series about Xequence 2 as @gmslayton did for 1. 🙂

EDIT: Regarding routing, Xequence 2 by default has vastly simplified routing (tracks for instruments are managed automatically), so maybe it's worth a second look.

I know i’ll figure it out. It’s just taking me longer than usual and that’s when seeing it in practice usually helps.
    My understanding of midi is intermediate at best and I’m coming from Cubase on PC, where hearing a sound is usually as simple as creating and arming a track. I’m confident that once I get passed the routing part, the editing will be second nature.

• So I have xequence 1 and xequence pads and keys apps. do I need to look at getting xequence 2. what is the main difference that makes it worth the upgrade ?also is this an AU app?

• @rs2000 said:

@Steaders said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

I personally don't like videos either. For finding out how stuff works, videos are often a big time waster - like watching a 5min video when a good manual can give the answer in 30 seconds. And you can search a manual, while with a video, you often don't even know beforehand if the answer to your question is given at all.
    I think that "good manual" is the point here. One with all the details required to understand what's going on.

Yeah looking though videos can be annoying, skipping to the right bit....but there’s no reason why we won’t be able to search “within” videos in the future with machine learning etc :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

@Carnbot said:

@rs2000 said:

@Steaders said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

Yeah looking though videos can be annoying, skipping to the right bit....but there’s no reason why we won’t be able to search “within” videos in the future with machine learning etc :)

I find that seeing and hearing the potential of a music related app is much more exciting, inspiring and informative than reading about it. Both before and after purchase. But that’s just me.
    Also, saves me a lot of time and frustration and I salute those who put tutorial and review videos together.

• @rs2000 said:

@Steaders said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

I'm happy for both. I guess it's like books and movies. Though I'm not the biggest movie fan, I wouldn't want to give up either.

One advantage of a pro desktop app is that there's always a comprehensive manual for getting and referencing the details, and many videos for seeing it in action. Different kinds of learning, and with workflow ideas conveyed better with the latter. It would have taken me much longer to learn what I know about Logic, NI, etc. without absorbing so much from watching videos.

Considering the price of Xequence, I think getting a good manual puts it ahead of the game, and provides most of the info desired. Some good videos, though, showing the workflow and UI in action, would get more people up and running quicker, and also inspire app purchases for those shopping. Whether that's a good investment of time for the developer may be another story. I wish I made videos myself, as Xequence would be worth the effort.

• edited July 2019

@Steaders said:

@Carnbot said:

@rs2000 said:

@Steaders said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

I find that seeing and hearing the potential of an audio app is much more exciting, inspiring and informative than reading about it. Both before and after purchase. But that’s just me.
    Also, saves me a lot of time and frustration and I salute those who put tutorial and review videos together.

I think placing more screenshots in the Xequence manual might be helpful.

The part of the manual describing how to use controllers (CC's) sounds great, but I think having Pictures of the screens being discussed might make the instructions more clear.
    I did manage to use the transport controls from AudioBus last night to play a track I created in Xequence2, and record it directly into a new MIDI track in Cubasis. Now I have a way to get a track from X2 into Cubasis without transferring MIDI files.

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • you guys are not helping me resist this app. i’m really starting to consider upgrading. is this and Audio unit or iaa app?

• @Carnbot said:

@rs2000 said:

@Steaders said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

You can search in YouTube videos already, as it happens. There’s a google chrome app - I’m not at my computer at the moment but I think it’s called ‘invideo’ in the chrome extension store. I could be wrong on the name, so if you don’t find it, let me know and I’ll tell you what it is when I’m at home. It doesn’t work every single time but it does work really well for most videos - you just search any words you like and then it very quickly gives you a list of mentions. Click a mention and it goes straight to that bit of the video. It’s very handy for all sorts of things, and I see no reason why it won’t be good for the music-making tutorials, too. Worth a look, anyway.

• @wim said:

@slicetwo said:
    @tja I like trying to minimize the different apps I switch through. I really just want something that will host multiple custom drum samples in one channel for the ease of sketching out ideas. I also found that trying to line up the song mode in Patterning2 with Xequence was really annoying, unreliable, and time consuming, so if I could sequence everything from Xequence, I'd be all good.

I’ve only been skimming the conversation about this, but it seems to me that AudioLayer would meet all your needs. It’s not specifically a “drum” sampler. It’s a sampler that can work with any kind of samples, drum or not. I use it for all my drum kits that I build. You just map samples to the keys (I stick to GM drum mapping) and save your kit.

@dreamsaremaps and @DCJ I'll check out Vatanator.

I guess I should also figure out the MIDI drum mapping for Patterning2.

To send midi to Patterning 2? There’s a Patterning 2 drum map included in Xequence.

That quote looked like it was from me, but it wasn't - I don't even own Patterning 2, only Patterning 1.

• @audio_DT said:

@Carnbot said:

@rs2000 said:

@Steaders said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

You can search in YouTube videos already, as it happens. There’s a google chrome app - I’m not at my computer at the moment but I think it’s called ‘invideo’ in the chrome extension store. I could be wrong on the name, so if you don’t find it, let me know and I’ll tell you what it is when I’m at home. It doesn’t work every single time but it does work really well for most videos - you just search any words you like and then it very quickly gives you a list of mentions. Click a mention and it goes straight to that bit of the video. It’s very handy for all sorts of things, and I see no reason why it won’t be good for the music-making tutorials, too. Worth a look, anyway.

Cool, yeah funnily enough there's another one here https://www.leankr.com/in-video_search.html
    called "In-video" which is exactly how I'm envisaging it, using AI and machine learning to search for bits in videos. I'm guessing the chrome extension one searches the youtube captioning etc?

But I expect Google will apply similar AI algorithms to Youtube at some point. :)

• @EyeOhEss said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    Sure this is dumb question but I’m having trouble getting going with Xequence and AUM together.

Xequence isn’t showing up in AUM as a midi source option to allocate to when I have a synth on a channel. Though AUM is showing/set as midi destination in Xequence...

I’ll read the manual over weekend but just wanna have quick play with it tonight...

Anyone? This is the only midi app I’ve ever hit this wall with. Is there something simple I missed to get it to show up as a midi source in AUM?

Have you tried opening Xequence 2 as IAA, in the Audio section?

• @EyeOhEss said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    Sure this is dumb question but I’m having trouble getting going with Xequence and AUM together.

Xequence isn’t showing up in AUM as a midi source option to allocate to when I have a synth on a channel. Though AUM is showing/set as midi destination in Xequence...

I’ll read the manual over weekend but just wanna have quick play with it tonight...

Anyone? This is the only midi app I’ve ever hit this wall with. Is there something simple I missed to get it to show up as a midi source in AUM?

Try apeMatrix. Works flawlessly.

• @Carnbot said:

@audio_DT said:

@Carnbot said:

@rs2000 said:

@Steaders said:

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

Cool, yeah funnily enough there's another one here https://www.leankr.com/in-video_search.html
    called "In-video" which is exactly how I'm envisaging it, using AI and machine learning to search for bits in videos. I'm guessing the chrome extension one searches the youtube captioning etc?

But I expect Google will apply similar AI algorithms to Youtube at some extension I}

The extension is really simple - just type a word or phrase (or anything else), then click ‘search’. I’m not sure if it’s captioning, tbh. I’ve used it a few times, though, and it works well - although it doesn’t work on all videos. Maybe, then, you’re right about the captioning - not sure.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Enable Virtual Source in the MIDI/Recording settings in Xequence 2.

• edited July 2019

I wish you could set outbound midi port for each instrument from sequencer view without having to create another instrument each time, and then adding that instrument to the sequencer.

• Can those of you who are using both Atom and Xequence 2 explain how and why you are using both together?

I've been puzzling out Atom vs Photon as a MIDI recorder to plug into AUM but then this new beast dropped...

• @EyeOhEss said:

@EyeOhEss said:

I may be wrong (oh horrors, not again!) but I thought when AUM was the MIDI destination in Xequence, that the MIDI came into AUM on “AUM DEST”.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@motmeister said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@EyeOhEss said:

I may be wrong (oh horrors, not again!) but I thought when AUM was the MIDI destination in Xequence, that the MIDI came into AUM on “AUM DEST”.

You are right.
    But you can also enable Virtual Midi in Xequence and have it show up by name in AUM. The key is to have the port the same on both sides (i.e. Don’t set AUM as the destination in Xequence and Xequence as the source in AUM. Set AUM as the destination and source, or Xequence as the destination and source). Lotta people get confused on that point for many apps, not just Xequence.

• @nondes said:
    I wish you could set outbound midi port for each instrument from sequencer view without having to create another instrument each time, and then adding that instrument to the sequencer.

You can just go to the instruments page and change the channel. You don’t have to add another instrument. It’s only two more taps than doing it from the track view.