Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• @EyeOhEss said:
    What are people’s main pros for using this to sequence AUM compared to using Beatmaker 3 to sequence AUM? Is it overall tighter, more sequencer features, better workflow? What are the stand outs?

I'm maybe a bit biased, but from what I can remember, BM3's sequencer was quite barebones when I looked at it. Xequence 2 really has pretty much every feature and workflow shortcut you can imagine in a sequencer. (if you don't need a tempo or time signature track, that is! ;))

• @espiegel123 said:
    @SevenSystems : you might consider creating a wiki entry for Xequence :) and maybe put links to the YouTube Xequence tutorials.

That page will be a good place for people to put tips and tricks and links that people will be able to find in the future.

Yes I thought about that already a few weeks ago when it started, but struggling with time constraints. Maybe you can be kind enough to at least create a little placeholder page until I get around to doing more detailed stuff?

• @d4d0ug said:
    I’ve got the update / new version and need to play with it more. Are there any videos available demoing the new features / functionality @SevenSystems ?

+1

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Before purchase, have I got this straight on the following features in the description?

Sub tracks = take lanes? If so, can I mute/solo clips across lanes? And mute/solo entire lanes?

Yes, but during loop recording, takes are currently merged, i.e. they can't be separated after the fact. However, that will be delivered in an update shortly (with automatic track lane creation for each new loop iteration).

And Yes, you can mute/solo lanes and all their clips, but not individual clips.

Per track looping - I can select a clip on a track and set that to loop, whilst other tracks play as normal?

Yes. You can even timestretch or crop a looped clip, and the whole loop will adapt.

Polyhymnia — built in generative, do people like/often use it?

Maybe others can chime in or already have, hard to keep up...

Automation - is it straight forward to record/edit automation and can you copy/paste it along with clip/s?

Yes.

Is there any probability function setting per note/step?

No.

Are there timeline markers?

See here:

Thanks

You're welcome :)

• @Zjenji said:
    @SevenSystems Great job, and congratulations! Just bought it and I’m very impressed! Keep up the great work!

Thank you Sir!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Simpleton question:

If one is a simpleton and already has V1 but has yet to really make much headway would the panel think it best to stick with V1 or instead move straight to V2 because it is simpler in a way that a simpleton might more easily understand?

One thing that is simpler by default in Xequence 2 is the instrument and track management. Where in Xequence 1 you had to create and assign tracks for instruments manually (many users weren't comfortable with this), X2 will by default manage tracks completely automatically, so there's definitely less steps involved and less head-around-wrapping.

Other than that, the workflow is almost exactly the same as X1 (but with many more possibilities and flexibility if you wish).

• @echoopera said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Simpleton question:

If one is a simpleton and already has V1 but has yet to really make much headway would the panel think it best to stick with V1 or instead move straight to V2 because it is simpler in a way that a simpleton might more easily understand?

I think the UI workflow has been greatly improved. I haven’t used v1 in ages, and X2 just felt better. Not sure if it’s from more experience on my part with these kind of tools, or just a better UX Design of the app...but I’d vote the latter. It all feels more cohesive and holistic fwiw.

Thanks. Yes, almost 2 years of user feedback and also own use have contributed to a large array of tiny changes that aren't even in the Changelog. The better feel can probably also be attributed to everything simply working much, much faster due to optimization.

• @hisdudeness said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to announce the immediate availability of Xequence 2.0.0.

Xequence 2 represents a major milestone in the development of our mobile MIDI workstation. It takes everything that users loved from Xequence 1, and makes it all even more efficient, more robust and faster, while also adding many significant new features.

INTRODUCTION PRICE OF JUST $9.99, so that all existing Xequence users have a fair upgrade path (this includes ALL FORMER IN-APP PURCHASES!)

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1464669442?mt=8

We thought Xequence also deserved a shiny new website, so there's that:

http://seven.systems/xequence2/

Existing Xequence users: Here's what's new in Xequence 2:

http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/new-in-2/

Report any issues, comments and suggestions here, I'll be happy to answer any questions and consider all input for improvements!

Happy composing!

for how long will be intro price?

We'll try to have maybe 80-90% of Xequence 1 users on board Xequence 2 so that they get a fair update price, then we'll switch to the regular $19.99. Can't estimate how long this will be, but probably not more than a week, so grab it while you can. The pricetag is really ridiculous! :)

• @Carnbot said:
    @SevenSystems looks great, would you consider adding midi Program change support for session loading?
    That way you can have basic statesaving in any host, using a script with Mozaic or streambyter to load the correct session each time in AUM for example. :)

A few "MIDI learn" capabilities for basic functions of the app are very well under consideration, yes. I just want to get a more complete picture of what makes sense to include in that list before I get to it, based on user feedback and discussion. :)

• edited July 2019

@GrimLucky said:
    Quick question, I’ve just created a custom scale using an imported midi file (great new feature) is there a way to save this and use the scale on other tracks in the project.

Really liking that it now has link start stop and importing midi to existing projects. 😊

Thanks :) There's no direct way to do that, but you could just make a clip with the scale, copy it to the clipboard (INSERT -> CLIPBOARD -> COPY) , and then load your target project, INSERT -> CLIPBOARD -> PASTE, and then open the clip and select all notes and then "Scale from selection". (Remember that all clipboards also work between different projects)

(there's also a feature to save and load complete instruments, along with scale, keyboard settings, drum setup, MIDI sync setup, controllers etc. planned for an upcoming update.)

• @SlowwFloww said:
    @SevenSystems
    Congratulations on the release... I have a question about the new clips (parts): can you move notes around within the clip? In Xequence 1 they move outside the clip..

Can we do this now:

Also, in Xequence it isn't very clear to see if clips are stacked upon eachother.. You can record onto another clip and a new clip is being created.. But it's quite hard to see if 2 or more clip are on the same position...

Yes, although it would work slightly differently. You can take your clip, set it to loop (PROCESS -> LOOP ON), and then you can just grab the start and end of that clip to adjust the region of the clip you want looping. It will all update live on the timeline. It is arguably better than how it works in the video. (you can even timestretch in the same way).

• @d4d0ug said:
    I’ve got the update / new version and need to play with it more. Are there any videos available demoing the new features / functionality @SevenSystems ?

Thanks for getting the update! As always, we're strictly anti-video, but of course I'm still hoping for others who are more talented at producing video content :)

• @SevenSystems said:

@reasOne said:
    I'd love to see someone launching clips to arrange a sequence of tracks, based on what I read on the website this is possible per track
    .. So you should be able to launch clips of each track at different parts of your linear sequence?
    I suck at making music in a linear time line to create loops and part changes, hoping that this is the answer, right now I'm using stagelight to do this but I prefer to host in AUM, so if x2.50000 can do this while hosting things in AUM / ab3 that would be rad

No live clip launching, sorry... however the looping possibilities are really powerful because Xequence can loop individual clips, and even loop individual clones of the same clip cropped independently (different starts / ends into the clip).

Sounds good to me man!!! Count me in

• @SevenSystems said:

@Carnbot said:
    @SevenSystems looks great, would you consider adding midi Program change support for session loading?
    That way you can have basic statesaving in any host, using a script with Mozaic or streambyter to load the correct session each time in AUM for example. :)

A few "MIDI learn" capabilities for basic functions of the app are very well under consideration, yes. I just want to get a more complete picture of what makes sense to include in that list before I get to it, based on user feedback and discussion. :)

Midi learn would also be great. :)

Midi PC support for loading sessions is a bit of a deal breaker for me right now though as it's not an AUv3. Just means I can organise a workflow in hosts if I use apeMatrix or AUM.

I can understand if it's not feasible though so just wanted to check if it's on a roadmap.
    This is one of the main reasons why I didn't use the original Xequence 1, despite buying and liking what it could do :)

• @Carnbot said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Carnbot said:

Midi learn would also be great. :)

Midi PC support for loading sessions is a bit of a deal breaker for me right now though as it's not an AUv3. Just means I can organise a workflow in hosts if I use apeMatrix or AUM.

I can understand if it's not feasible though so just wanted to check if it's on a roadmap.
    This is one of the main reasons why I didn't use the original Xequence 1, despite buying and liking what it could do :)

MIDI learn is definitely on the roadmap :) but I can almost definitely say that there won't be an "all-out AUv3 version" of Xequence, it just doesn't fit Xequence's philosophy.

• @SevenSystems said:

I can almost definitely say that there won't be an "all-out AUv3 version" of Xequence, it just doesn't fit Xequence's philosophy.

I can totally understand that :)
    But just to clarify would "midi learn" include midi Program change message support for loading sessions?

This is what I'm needing in a standalone midi sequencer. It would then act like a hardware sequencer and you can design a flexible workflow without relying on Audiobus each time. :)

• @SevenSystems Thanks for your reply to my earlier question. Wanted to know if hosting AUV3 midi apps is/was something that is being considered.

Also unless a feature like this already exist, a chord track like in the studio one daw would be amazing, again unless it already exist.

• yahaaa!:)
    crazy good update. waiting for wknd to play with it.
    thank you !!!!

• edited July 2019

Are there any videos showcasing Xequence 2? nm, I missed the previous question and answer.

• Today was going to be about fireworks and Stranger Things... This update is the business, @Sevensystems Thank you-!

• edited July 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@d4d0ug said:

Thanks for getting the update! As always, we're strictly anti-video, but of course I'm still hoping for others who are more talented at producing video content :)

Thanks for your previous answers. I have 'upgraded' and, as an Englishman in Texas, J4's a good day to stay home with the curtains closed, so I will try to do something I never do and read the manual. BUT let me confirm what you know already and that's being anti-video is a damn shame after all the work you've put into this project. Many of us slow kids learn 90% of what we ever do by watching not reading....

• @SevenSystems Will the DAW you are working on also include Xequence 2 features? Anything you can share on the roadmap? Thx.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Will0827 said:
    Could this serve as a brain to do all my composing with and then just export the midi to my daw for final touches. I know it seems like a backwards way to work but my desire to use the iPad in conjunction with my desktop overrides my feeling of working in my daw only. Thanks in advanced.

Yes, that's one of the main purposes it's designed for :)

That’s how I plan to use it. 👍🏻

• @Jumpercollins said:

@d4d0ug said:

+1

+2

• @SevenSystems said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Simpleton question:

One thing that is simpler by default in Xequence 2 is the instrument and track management. Where in Xequence 1 you had to create and assign tracks for instruments manually (many users weren't comfortable with this), X2 will by default manage tracks completely automatically, so there's definitely less steps involved and less head-around-wrapping.

This is exactly what I was hoping for! My cautious/cheapskate, too-many-apps-already self loved Xeq with that exception. Sold.

• I’m also curious about midi AU fx, or if there’s an easy way to use them in AUM and record the midi in Xequence2?

• I was unable to get Xequence to work on standalone with any of my synths. I tried with Zeeon and Model D. I set the midi channels to match up and tried both the network session out and the synth's own output in Xequence. Neither produced sound in either synth. Maybe I had the settings wrong as I managed to route properly in AUM. Not sure what I'm missing.

• @slicetwo said:
    I was unable to get Xequence to work on standalone with any of my synths. I tried with Zeeon and Model D. I set the midi channels to match up and tried both the network session out and the synth's own output in Xequence. Neither produced sound in either synth. Maybe I had the settings wrong as I managed to route properly in AUM. Not sure what I'm missing.

Are you sure that background audio was enabled in Zeeon/Model D?

• @rs2000 said:

@slicetwo said:
    I was unable to get Xequence to work on standalone with any of my synths. I tried with Zeeon and Model D. I set the midi channels to match up and tried both the network session out and the synth's own output in Xequence. Neither produced sound in either synth. Maybe I had the settings wrong as I managed to route properly in AUM. Not sure what I'm missing.

Are you sure that background audio was enabled in Zeeon/Model D?

I'll check. If I have background processing off in the iPad's own settings, does that effect the synths? It certainly doesn't effect AUM or Audioshare.