Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Madlib made all the beats on Bandana on an iPad

Comments

• edited July 2019

@rezidue said:
    I think there is some truth to all of what has been stated but I do think they are toying with people. Gibbs sounds like he’s exaggerating being in the studio with him because of how it had been said previously that a ton of tracks are sent to Gibbs who then runs with them on his own and that this album was created from their original effort on Piñata. I’m sure an ipad was used along with a bunch of other tools.

Hellyah. Dropbox aint sexy either.

• @CRAKROX said:
    All the talk over the years from certain fans about which equipment certain hip hop producers use and how they can “hear it” is self deluded bs really as by the time audio has effects, e.q. etc added it’s nowhere near what it sounds like straight out of the box.

Now this isn’t to say certain machines have their own sound, they do no doubt, but to really hear it the signal would have to basically be sent straight to whatever master you were using and even that untouched can subtly change the audio.

You don’t think the sound of an SP (1200 or 303) comes through because of some effects sprinkled on top?!

You can like the equipment you’re using without deluding yourself that it’s exactly the same as other equipment.

• @CRAKROX said:

I think you’re deluding yourself because that’s what you want to believe and your bias is effecting your judgement.

Thanks for pointing that out man, I'll have to work on that.

• @AudioGus said:

I am reminded of an Amon Tobin interview I saw (read?) years ago where any questions related to process and technique seemed to get dodged and it felt to me like he mostly didnt want the conversation to wade into the subject of sampling as that tends to be a loaded minefield. Plus I think for Gibbs to speak on Madlibs behalf wouldn’t be very cool so he probably just wanted to quickly stick to the fragment of the story that existed and move the conversation along.

yeah I kinda got the same vibe as you and rezidue, well he's already got the beats to the next album so the story could get even better

• edited July 2019

@ksound said:

@CRAKROX said:
    All the talk over the years from certain fans about which equipment certain hip hop producers use and how they can “hear it” is self deluded bs really as by the time audio has effects, e.q. etc added it’s nowhere near what it sounds like straight out of the box.

Now this isn’t to say certain machines have their own sound, they do no doubt, but to really hear it the signal would have to basically be sent straight to whatever master you were using and even that untouched can subtly change the audio.

You don’t think the sound of an SP (1200 or 303) comes through because of some effects sprinkled on top?!

You can like the equipment you’re using without deluding yourself that it’s exactly the same as other equipment.

I think their point was Madlib is going to sound like Madlib whatever he is using. He's going to make it sound the way his ear wants it to sound. I use an MPC60 and sound nothing like the people who made that machine famous.

• @kobamoto said:

@CRAKROX said:

I think you’re deluding yourself because that’s what you want to believe and your bias is effecting your judgement.

I imagine you’re being sarcastic however I notice there’s no reply to my question...

• @CRAKROX said:

@kobamoto said:

@CRAKROX said:

I imagine you’re being sarcastic however I notice there’s no reply to my question...

I made a value judgement but from your first post in the thread, I got the gist of what you wanted to say. Personally I believe it's a little of both 1&2 but not entirely for the reasons you stated.

1.I think FG is being obscure but not out of collusion (there is no collusion) but because both he and madlib have stated that he got the beats at one time a long time ago.

1. and two because really all he knows about it is that madlib has an iPad mini and he wasn't up close with the process.
  • edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@ksound said:

@CRAKROX said:

I think their point was Madlib is going to sound like Madlib whatever he is using. He's going to make it sound the way his ear wants it to sound. I use an MPC60 and sound nothing like the people who made that machine famous.

I agree with this too, and I think madlib doesn't even care if he doesn't use an iPad either... he doesn't strike me as the kind of person who gets triggered by such things.

However, I like the OP think it's cool that he shouted out the iPad, I remember when he let it be known that he doesn't just sample from records and samples from youtube or anywhere and a lot of folks lost their minds, as if it meant that he didn't sample from his incredible vinyl collection anymore... anyways

Happy 4th!

• @kobamoto said:

@CRAKROX said:

@kobamoto said:

@CRAKROX said:

I made a value judgement but from your first post in the thread, I got the gist of what you wanted to say. Personally I believe it's a little of both 1&2 but not entirely for the reasons you stated.

1.I think FG is being obscure but not out of collusion (there is no collusion) but because both he and madlib have stated that he got the beats at one time a long time ago.

1. and two because really all he knows about it is that madlib has an iPad mini and he wasn't up close with the process.

This doesn’t explain why both artists would obscure the production process when they have both briefly explained it.
    Surely if he had used an SP/MPC or ASR etc he would simply have said IPad to Sampler to Desk etc.
    If for example Madlib was tired of people quizzing his production method surely he would say so and offer some sort of half explanation, however this isn’t what he did, he said it was done on an iPad and FG repeated this, plus FG explanation whilst simple was exact, even if he has little to no interest in production he’s been in enough studios to understand and state if a sampler had been part of that chain.

There is no evidence to support your argument only your wish that he’s used a piece of hardware as it fits in with what your world view is comfortable with.

• edited July 2019

evidence...?
    evidence of what?

argument...?
    what argument?
    _
    world views...?
    I haven't expressed any world views in this thread.

wishes?
    I haven't made any wishes, are you a Genie?

I think you're misinterpreting my level of interest, which is only that of someone whom makes beats on an iPad, however I am very comfortable doing so.

• a dedication.

• @CRAKROX : madlib has been pretty explicit that he doesn't want to talk about the details of his process.

Nothing terribly odd or conspiratorial about that. Lots of artists don't.

He is also probably amused by people on Twitter losing their minds about his iPad tweet.

• edited July 2019

An iPad is a is just a computer, a pretty powerful one.. So using that to make beats ain't that special..

Ill Green made an album with just a Roland MS-1 sampler... now that's limited equipment!

https://illgreen.bandcamp.com/album/swamp-water-plague-ep

Hiphop producers don't need much.. Good ears for other people's music that they can sample.. and equipment with good sound that is easy to operate..

• @SlowwFloww said:
    An iPad is a is just a computer, a pretty powerful one.. So using that to make beats ain't that special..

Ill Green made an album with just a Roland MS-1 sampler... now that's limited equipment!

Hiphop producers don't need much.. Good ears for other people's music that they can sample.. and equipment with good sound that is easy to operate..

speaking of Ill green I love what he's done with the digitakt and the pioneer DJS-1000

• @kobamoto said:
    speaking of Ill green I love what he's done with the digitakt and the pioneer DJS-1000

Yeah he's really into that DJS-1000 :-)

• I think that the question is not about the possibility or not that he did it on ipad. There is a reality that (many) pros are using ipad as part (probably not all) of their production. They simply don’t mention it because...it is maybe not sexy enough to attract hordes of fans who want to dream about success...Music on iPad is still a geek (almost a nerd) thing...
    How do I know that? My music shop dealer told me when I asked why so few artists are using iPads...
    Things are changing now and madlib is the kind of guy who can make it evolve for the better...I hope...

• @cuscolima said:
    How do I know that? My music shop dealer told me

Well say no more! :smile:

• @SlowwFloww said:

Dang! That's awesome. MS-1 is damn limited! :lol:
    And this album is great

• edited July 2019

@kobamoto said:
    evidence...?
    evidence of what?

argument...?
    what argument?
    _
    world views...?

wishes?

I think you're misinterpreting my level of interest, which is only that of someone whom makes beats on an iPad, however I am very comfortable doing so.

You’re the one who wouldn’t believe that he only used an iPad, when that’s exactly what he said he used.
    I was asking why you feel you seem to know better, however you preferred to give a facetious reply rather than try to disprove my point.

• @kobamoto said:

I think he is just sampling from the ipadmini into an sp/mpc... why make things difficult lol

This what I was asking you to provide evidence for when both parties involved in the record haven’t mentioned using any hardware sampler.

• I think what's interesting here is the thought of Madlib employing iOS on any level in his workflow. To us iOS nerds (and I say that with love of course) it's quite nice to think of a guy as analog-tactile as Madlib doing some of his magic via iPad. Same with Ras G who proclaimed to have made most of an album with an iPhone via iMpc back in 2016.

• @CRAKROX let it go man. Kobo isn’t being aggressive or defensive at all. It’s really no big deal at all.

• @SlowwFloww said:

Ill Green does freakin cool stuff.

And yep, iPad has been pretty powerful for the last decade, just held back by it's file system and touch screen (it's frustrating to manage a large project on a touch screen.)

• @Proppa said:
    I think what's interesting here is the thought of Madlib employing iOS on any level in his workflow. To us iOS nerds (and I say that with love of course) it's quite nice to think of a guy as analog-tactile as Madlib doing some of his magic via iPad. Same with Ras G who proclaimed to have made most of an album with an iPhone via iMpc back in 2016.

Yes! Perfect reasoning on why he did and what got me into mobile apps. Stuck on the bus with time to spend.

• great sample choice. But as most of the time, he's only looping and pitching the samples. Barely changed, chopped, rearranged or whatever. I love the beats, but I can't see why you can't do this on an ipad.
    The key is clearly the sample selection

• edited July 2019

@CRAKROX said:

@kobamoto said:
    evidence...?
    evidence of what?

argument...?
    what argument?
    _
    world views...?

wishes?

You’re the one who wouldn’t believe that he only used an iPad, when that’s exactly what he said he used.
    I was asking why you feel you seem to know better, however you preferred to give a facetious reply rather than try to disprove my point.

what are you talking about, when did either of them say he only used an iPad?
    every thing I've said has been prefaced as my opinion/ belief.... if this thread was about disproving your point I wasn't aware of that ,and you might not be able to recognize it but this is a non-issue.

• Madlib makes great beats, im sure iOS played a role in this album, doubt it was all made on iOS but it coulda been,,, either way doesn't matter cuz Freddie Gibbs ruined the beats 🤣🤣🤣🤣 im a hater

• @reasOne said:
    Madlib makes great beats, im sure iOS played a role in this album, doubt it was all made on iOS but it coulda been,,, either way doesn't matter cuz Freddie Gibbs ruined the beats 🤣🤣🤣🤣 im a hater

lol

I gotta give it Gibbs, there are not many these days that come with that freestyle fellowship-esk flow and keep it interesting, I think it's his cadence that I like the most

• I just want another Madvillain