Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Madlib made all the beats on Bandana on an iPad

Comments

• @Gravitas said:

@AudioGus said:

@Gravitas said:

@d4d0ug said:

@AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:
    Place your app bets...

iMPC Pro 2 ;)

Perhaps it is an app that could use a huge win / morale boost?

.....and an update too? 🤪😁

@d4d0ug said:

@AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:
    Place your app bets...

iMPC Pro 2 ;)

Would an award winning, international composer using
    this unnameable app help boost morale?

Yes, I'm seriously asking.

If they are famous/beloved etc then but of course. I am sure there are lots of interesting users around the world.

Freelance producer ,'Real World',
    Won the Genesis humanitarian Award 2006
    Worked on a Oscar nominated soundtrack in 2002 (original music)

Soundtracks for B.B.C and P.B.S

Head producer/engineer for Sugar babes, All Saints production team.

Occasional music promoter, one of the artists being ,'Roots Manuva',

A bit of a maverick?

Would that boost morale???

My grandpa smashed his finger with the wrong end of a faulty hammer... twice. But he sure did love that hammer for some reason.

• edited July 2019

@Gravitas said:

@AudioGus said:

@Gravitas said:

@d4d0ug said:

@AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:
    Place your app bets...

iMPC Pro 2 ;)

@d4d0ug said:

@AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:
    Place your app bets...

iMPC Pro 2 ;)

If they are famous/beloved etc then but of course. I am sure there are lots of interesting users around the world.

A bit of a maverick?

A bit random but I met a guy years ago that played drums for the Sugababes. What a dream job that must of been.

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss

Yeah dude, utterly bonkers.
    Still, the chaps for the app needed a good kick in the morale direction.

I thought that would give all of us a bit of good vibes and
    combined with that I'm returning back to active duty as it were.

I love your summary, perfect.

• @DCJ said:

@Gravitas said:

@AudioGus said:

@Gravitas said:

@d4d0ug said:

@AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:
    Place your app bets...

iMPC Pro 2 ;)

@d4d0ug said:

@AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:
    Place your app bets...

iMPC Pro 2 ;)

A bit of a maverick?

My grandpa smashed his finger with the wrong end of a faulty hammer... twice. But he sure did love that hammer for some reason.

As long as the finger survived then all is good. :)
    Former pro drummer here.

@BroCoast
    I didn't meet their band directly but I do know quite
    a few of the musicians from that scene obviously.

• About 5 minutes in he kinda light weight disses iPad music lol

• @reasOne said:
    About 5 minutes in he kinda light weight disses iPad music lol

That's actually a pretty good description of what bugs me about "iPad music."

• edited July 2019

After reading about this album I decided to have a listen.. Well, nice that he made it with an iPad but I really don’t like it. Rapping sucks.. beats ain’t special. I get tired listening to it.. It seems to me that finding dope samples is getting harder and harder… 

I miss the raw beats and more energetic rhyming.. Compare that stuff to this. Better beats, better raps, dope scratches:

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@reasOne said:
    About 5 minutes in he kinda light weight disses iPad music lol

That's actually a pretty good description of what bugs me about "iPad music."

I agree. The iPad definitely has a “sound” that I can pick up on immediately. That’s why I prefer all-analog samplers like the mpc and Roland Sps. And don’t even get me started on “producers” using digital reverbs... good luck placing a track with that.

• edited July 2019

@legsmechanical said:

That’s why I prefer all-analog samplers like the mpc and Roland Sps. And don’t even get me started on “producers” using digital reverbs... good luck placing a track with that.

analog samplers?? all samplers are digital...

• @SlowwFloww said:

all-analog samplers

analog samplers??? all samplers are digital..

No, I don’t mean the ones that are on a computer like kontakt. I’m talking about the analog boxes like mpc and digitakt that have the old Skool sound from the analog knobs and pads.

• Oh boy, here we go down another rabbit hole. Old skool sound from knobs?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Oh boy, here we go down another rabbit hole. Old skool sound from knobs?

Listen to madlibs other stuff if you don’t believe me. All made with analog samplers with knobs and pads (mpc 4000 on a lot of that stuff, which really has the best old skool sound imho). The iPad record sounds so obviously digital even when it tries to do that analog sound. I really like the iPad for what it is, but nothing beats those old skool beats.

• edited July 2019

@legsmechanical said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Listen to madlibs other stuff if you don’t believe me. All made with analog samplers with knobs and pads (mpc 4000 on a lot of that stuff, which really has the best old skool sound imho). The iPad record sounds so obviously digital even when it tries to do that analog sound. I really like the iPad for what it is, but nothing beats those old skool beats.

@legsmechanical said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

All samplers are DIGITAL it doesn’t matter if they are Hardware or software, they are essentially the same thing.
    Both take an analog signal and convert it into digital information that can then be replayed or manipulated.
    SP1200s, MPCs, SP303s etc are all computers just with different interfaces.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

Yeah we are back in nonsense territory.

• @CRAKROX said:

@legsmechanical said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@legsmechanical said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

All samplers are DIGITAL it doesn’t matter if they are Hardware or software, they are essentially the same thing.
    Both take an analog signal and convert it into digital information that can then be replayed or manipulated.
    SP1200s, MPCs, SP303s etc are all computers just with different interfaces.

.... so explain the circuit boards and analog outputs on my mpc1000 and sp505? Have you ever opened one of those, bc I have ( I can send pictures if you don’t believe me.) And if you google iPad internals you’ll see that it’s ALL digital — no boards or analogs. That’s why they can’t sound old skool.

• Your mpc1000 or sp505 is just a computer running software in a pretty box with a built in audio interface....

• People always say that because they have screens that look digital. But the emu sp1200 was basically a follow up to the mpc60 and it didn’t have a screen at all.

• I wonder if Madlib had not put out that tweet if anyone would have given it a moments thought about what equipment he used to produce the album. I doubt anyone would have thought it was made on an iPad (which is the real victory for iOS imho) and many would praise him for standing by his MPC and other original gear etc. I love my couple of old VCO analog synths and tape echo....but some things just don’t benefit from being “pure” analog (and maybe never really were). At this point with so many unique and affordable tools, I think the only true limitation left in iOS music production is one’s own creativity and imagination.

• edited July 2019

@legsmechanical said:
    People always say that because they have screens that look digital. But the emu sp1200 was basically a follow up to the mpc60 and it didn’t have a screen at all.

a sp1200 has a lcd screen, a mpc60 has a lcd screen. Roland s330, mpc3000, Roland s760, Roland MV8x00 have lcd screens but you can also connect a monitor screen. They are all the same: digital computers, just like your iPad...

• @SlowwFloww said:

@legsmechanical said:
    People always say that because they have screens that look digital. But the emu sp1200 was basically a follow up to the mpc60 and it didn’t have a screen at all.

a sp1200 has a lcd screen, a mpc60 has a lcd screen. Roland s330, mpc3000, Roland s760, Roland MV8x00 have lcd screens but you can also connect a monitor screen. They are all the same: computers, just like your iPad...

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the fact that the 12000 doesn’t have a digitally backlit display like the others so it’s more analog.

• @legsmechanical said:
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the fact that the 12000 doesn’t have a digitally backlit display like the others so it’s more analog.

:)

• Well, I stand corrected. I’m not too big to admit my mistakes 😊.

But if you open it up it still has all the analog parts like the others and no cpu or graphics card. A digital display doesn’t mean the unit as a whole isn’t analog.

But I still think less digital parts sound better. Like the zoom st224 which a lot of people don’t know about. It had a tiny analog display that made it really old skool.

• @SlowwFloww said:
    After reading about this album I decided to have a listen.. Well, nice that he made it with an iPad but I really don’t like it. Rapping sucks.. beats ain’t special. I get tired listening to it.. It seems to me that finding dope samples is getting harder and harder… 

I miss the raw beats and more energetic rhyming.. Compare that stuff to this. Better beats, better raps, dope scratches:

Critical Beatdown still my fav hip hop album ever.
    Done on SP12 with max 5 secs sampling time (if it was upgraded).

• edited July 2019

If its not made on an Amiga in a tracker and downloaded from a BBS in northern Alberta it’s weak shit. Fuck All y'All.

• @legsmechanical said:
    Well, I stand corrected. I’m not too big to admit my mistakes 😊.

Well I didn't want to play the smart guy you know, I like hardware samplers as much as you do. But I want you to realize they are all the same.. The sample rate, effects, the quality of the audio converters make the difference in the sound..

• Maybe I’m just not as much of an audiophile as the Melon, but I really don’t hear this ubiquitous digital character he talks about. When it comes to analog vs digital synthesis I can pick up on it, but when working with samples I just don’t hear a difference. Unless by “analog” he means cheaper AD converters?

• @legsmechanical said:

But if you open it up it still has all the analog parts like the others and no cpu or graphics card. A digital display doesn’t mean the unit as a whole isn’t analog.

Do you understand how samplers work ?

“A sampler is an electronic or digital musical instrument which uses sound recordings (or "samples") of real instrument sounds (e.g., a piano, violin or trumpet), excerpts from recorded songs (e.g., a five-second bass guitar riff from a funk song) or found sounds (e.g., sirens and ocean waves). The samples are loaded or recorded by the user or by a manufacturer. These sounds are then played back by means of the sampler program itself, a MIDI keyboard, sequencer or another triggering device (e.g., electronic drums) to perform or compose music. Because these samples are usually stored in digital memory, the information can be quickly accessed. A single sample may often be pitch-shifted to different pitches to produce musical scales and chords.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampler_(musical_instrument)

THEY ARE ALL DIGITAL INSTRUMENTS NOT ANALOG !!!!

• edited July 2019

@CRAKROX said:

@legsmechanical said:

Do you understand how samplers work ?

“A sampler is an electronic or digital musical instrument which uses sound recordings (or "samples") of real instrument sounds (e.g., a piano, violin or trumpet), excerpts from recorded songs (e.g., a five-second bass guitar riff from a funk song) or found sounds (e.g., sirens and ocean waves). The samples are loaded or recorded by the user or by a manufacturer. These sounds are then played back by means of the sampler program itself, a MIDI keyboard, sequencer or another triggering device (e.g., electronic drums) to perform or compose music. Because these samples are usually stored in digital memory, the information can be quickly accessed. A single sample may often be pitch-shifted to different pitches to produce musical scales and chords.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampler_(musical_instrument)

THEY ARE ALL DIGITAL INSTRUMENTS NOT ANALOG !!!!

As for your CPU comment I refer you to this :

http://www.synthark.org/Archive/EmulatorArchive/SP1200.html

“The debug program is now part of the operating system rather than being a separate EPROM, as on the SP-12. To activate the diagnostic software, power the instrument up while holding down the SETUP button, or press SETUP before a disk is loaded. The SP1200 will cycle through a total of 12 tests, you can turn the SP1200 off at any point.

CPU RAM test
    ROM test
    Sample RAM test
    Buttons/footswitch
    LCD
    LED's
    Sliders
    Sample Trim
    MIDI
    SMPTE
    Dynamic buttons
    Floppy Disk
    There are 7 trimmers on the main circuit board. Four are for the DAC's, one is for the sample offset, and the last two trim are dynamic filters.”

All samplers are computers, even your SP505 !

• I agree. I just wish we had an analog iPad for better sound.