Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Madlib made all the beats on Bandana on an iPad

Comments

• I just don't see someone who hates phones and computers as being the iPad type....

-someone who hates phones and computers but loves the iPad.

• edited July 2019

he does mention the iPad here though.... but still.. this video was published May 23, 2016 but he made the music he was talking about before this video of course... and he mentions that Freddie Gibbs took 6 cds of beats for the bandana album.

check the 26:00 mark

• @kobamoto said:
    he does mention the iPad here though.... but still..

It took one search for "Madlib ipad" to find he has been using an iPad to make beats for a while now.

• must be quasimoto on the iPad cause out of everything he's used the iPad has remained unseen lol

• @BroCoast said:

@kobamoto said:
    he does mention the iPad here though.... but still..

It took one search for "Madlib ipad" to find he has been using an iPad to make beats for a while now.

All i found with that was the recent twitter tsunami hehe

• edited July 2019

@kobamoto said:
    he does mention the iPad here though.... but still.. this video was published May 23, 2016 but he made the music he was talking about before this video of course... and he mentions that Freddie Gibbs took 6 cds of beats for the bandana album.

Hehe I liked that “OK, really?”

• edited July 2019

he's such an impatient beat maker though, to his credit his lack of patience has meant that he feels no pressure to get overly creative with sampling, he loves to loop stuff up , mostly leave it like it is, and do it quickly... I just don't think his level of patience would put up with the iPad for long but who knows I guess. I think bm3 would make him wanna jump off the balcony.

• @kobamoto said:
    he's such an impatient beat maker though, to his credit his lack of patience has meant that he feels no pressure to get overly creative with sampling, he loves to loop stuff up , mostly leave it like it is, and do it quickly... I just don't think his level of patience would put up with the iPad for long but who knows I guess. I think bm3 would make him wanna jump off the balcony.

It's surprisingly relaxing to use if you already have a heap of source material to drop in there. Just a total nightmare with MIDI, audio recording, IAA/AU etc.

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@kobamoto said:

It's surprisingly relaxing to use if you already have a heap of source material to drop in there. Just a total nightmare with MIDI, audio recording, IAA/AU etc.

hellyah! i am super glued to BM3 and find as long as I do not get hung up on automating AUs it all runs really really smooth. just set those AU params once and run away with little automating (super unfortunate though).

For a while I was telling myself that I would export stems and mix a ‘best of’ on desktop but I think I will just stick to BM3 sketching mode until a good audio track / mixing automation environment shows up on iOS. fingers crossed for NS2.

i try to do a track sketch (cough, beat?) per day and the past couple weeks I decided to focus on working with accapellas so I downloaded Future, Yo Gotti etc. Anyway, here are some BM3 commute tunes from the past couple weeks...

• I could see him using iPad. I use to make beats with mpcs and such. I loathed the iPad forever until I used it to make beats. Then it opened up my world . I think a lot of guys who like self contained beat machines would love the iPad.
    Coming from old sp samplers I would expect the iPad workflow would be a breeze ( after any initial learning curve)

• saw that tweet, he never answered Mathieu...

@ruggedsmooth, I was the same way I loved the self contained nature of the iPad until it all went over the AU cliff :(

• @kobamoto said:
    saw that tweet, he never answered Mathieu...

I don’t know how twitter works but doesn't he have like thousands of messages?

• @AudioGus said:

@BroCoast said:

@kobamoto said:

hellyah! i am super glued to BM3 and find as long as I do not get hung up on automating AUs it all runs really really smooth. just set those AU params once and run away with little automating (super unfortunate though).

For a while I was telling myself that I would export stems and mix a ‘best of’ on desktop but I think I will just stick to BM3 sketching mode until a good audio track / mixing automation environment shows up on iOS. fingers crossed for NS2.

i try to do a track sketch (cough, beat?) per day and the past couple weeks I decided to focus on working with accapellas so I downloaded Future, Yo Gotti etc. Anyway, here are some BM3 commute tunes from the past couple weeks...

Fun tracks man.

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@AudioGus said:

@BroCoast said:

@kobamoto said:

>

Fun tracks man.

Thanks Brocoast. i’ll never be cool makin fire but I’ll have fun roasting smores on it.

• edited July 2019

What is interesting, at least based on my observation, vast majority of big producers who started using iPad for full production are from hip-hop scene.. wondering why this platform is still overlooked by big names from other generes, for example EDM ... I would love to see such post from people like Deadmau5 or Armin van Buren :smiley:

Looks like in hiphop scene producers are most forward-looking, ready for new technologies :)

• That’s an interesting point @dendy

It kind of fits with a couple of reasons I have always loved hip hop production which are its punk ethos and unconventional production methodology.

• Quasimoto was inspired.

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Is this guy fishing for sponsorship or what?!

Ultimately, it's not so much how he did it, but the fact that he did it on iOS.

It validates the platform without starting a flame war. phew!

• edited July 2019

For me was this platform validated few years ago (in 2014 i think ?) , when i send few my tracks (fully produced on ipad only) to one of leading producers in psytrance genre and he was totally excited about sound quality and immediately released them on his label :lol:

• Whats the big deal?
    He made some beats on the iPad?

• @dendy said:
    What is interesting, at least based on my observation, vast majority of big producers who started using iPad for full production are from hip-hop scene.. wondering why this platform is still overlooked by big names from other generes, for example EDM ... I would love to see such post from people like Deadmau5 or Armin van Buren :smiley:

Looks like in hiphop scene producers are most forward-looking, ready for new technologies :)

Good observation. Hip Hop producers like quick and gritty tools. Not so anal about mixing and complicated theory...way more about organic vibes so iPad is perfect. BM3 is better than MpC 2000 which has been the goto for decades. It’s not even close actually. Anyway, Alist Grammy award winning HH producers have been using iPad/BM3 for years. Ask Henny.

• No more parties in LA was made with an iPad. People been making music with it for a while now. Same thing flstudio went thru. People just don’t like mentioning that for whatever reason. I say who cares what u use to make music. Is it good?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mayo said:
    Whats the big deal?

Exactly. I don't understand why this is even a thing.

• Looks like @kobamoto was right.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Mayo said:
    Whats the big deal?

Exactly. I don't understand why this is even a thing.

It absolutely shouldn't be a thing.

By bringing attention to it makes it sound like it shouldn't be possible. It's hardly a surprise that Somebody made some sounds with a device capable of making sounds. It's not like somebody fixed a helicopter with a spork... ;-)

• edited July 2019

@DCJ said:
    Looks like @kobamoto was right.

I don’t see this as him saying he was not serious about using an iPad, as @kobamoto said. I read this as him laughing at those who don’t believe he could possibly have used an iPad. As Madlib says, “stop making excuses. Technology is what you make it”.

• @DCJ said:
    Looks like @kobamoto was right.

I don't think that says anything about him NOT using an iPad.

It's a perfectly capable tool when you don't rely on it for everything. Easily capable of being the sampler for that album anyway.