Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Madlib made all the beats on Bandana on an iPad

Comments

• edited July 2019

Before digital came analog, before analog there was music.
    It's all music from the fractal level to the macro level dudes, what gives???

Personally speaking I don't care if it was recorded with a spanner
    and a toothbrush as long as the message got through then that's perfect.

The only reason why I'm on this forum is to make even better music
    not argue about the history of analog and digital and which one is better.
    Ask yourself why music recording went digital?
    It was to make better recordings.
    iPad's are the pinnacle of digital recording.
    The engineers back then would've killed to have had a fully loaded iPad.

If you want it to sound analog, roll off all the hi end frequencies and add noise,
    plug in a pair of headphones and submerge yourself in a bath tub.

The dude dissing iPad music.
    Check his resume, if he's great at what he does all cool but
    if he can't string together a decent track on a desktop
    no wonder he's dissing iPad music.

For f!!k sake, MAKE MUSIC...

Please.... :)

• @Gravitas said:
    Before digital came analog, before analog there was music.
    It's all music from the fractal level to the macro level dudes, what gives???

Personally speaking I don't care if it was recorded with a spanner
    and a toothbrush as long as the message got through then that's perfect.

The only reason on why I'm on this forum is to make even better music
    not argue about the history of analog and digital and which one is better.
    Ask yourself why music recording went digital?
    It was to make better recordings.
    iPad's are the pinnacle of digital recording.
    The engineers back then would've killed to have had a fully loaded iPad.

If you want it to sound analog, roll off all the hi end frequencies and add noise,
    plug in a pair of headphones and submerge yourself in a bath tub.

The dude dissing iPad music.
    Check his resume, if he's great at what he does all cool but
    if he can't string together a decent track on a desktop
    no wonder he's dissing iPad music.

For f!!k sake, MAKE MUSIC...

Please.... :)

Amen. And if you can spit coke raps like Freddie Gibbs, the beats can be made on a fuggin' TI-83 for all I care. Good music and gear snobbery don't belong in the same conversation.

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@reasOne said:
    About 5 minutes in he kinda light weight disses iPad music lol

That's actually a pretty good description of what bugs me about "iPad music."

What is talking that guy about "digital sounding" and how he is not surprised that it is produced on iPad - thst is pretty much bullshit :-))) I almost started to laugh. I know this kind of guys, if Madlib would never say that he used iPad, this guy would NEVER get any feelimg of "digital sound". Just placebo. Crap.

• TLDR; Everyone is full of shit.

• @dendy said:

@BroCoast said:

@reasOne said:
    About 5 minutes in he kinda light weight disses iPad music lol

That's actually a pretty good description of what bugs me about "iPad music."

What is talking that guy about "digital sounding" and how he is not surprised that it is produced on iPad - thst is pretty much bullshit :-))) I almost started to laugh. I know this kind of guys, if Madlib would never say that he used iPad, this guy would NEVER get any feelimg of "digital sound". Just placebo. Crap.

LOL yeah the guy is dumb and doesn't know what he's talking about but...

"iPad music" has a sound I can pick up on. It usually has beats that sound a bit rigid or swing that doesn't swing, hi-hats are too loud, there is a lack of glue and solidarity.

It just sounds fake as hell a lot of the time. I'm not talking about something an iPad does to music. I'm talking about niche music sounding shit like "modular music" sounds like shit. Nothing wrong with modular or iPads I just find people make shitty music with both.

• Nonsense. Anything anyone hears that makes music sound like “iPad music” has everything to do with the maker and nothing to do with the iPad.

• edited July 2019

@DCJ said:
    Nonsense. Anything anyone hears that makes music sound like “iPad music” has everything to do with the maker and nothing to do with the iPad.

LOL how did you miss the part where I said "I'm not talking about something an iPad does to music."

Probably triggered too fast to even read properly.

• @BroCoast said:

@DCJ said:
    Nonsense. Anything anyone hears that makes music sound like “iPad music” has everything to do with the maker and nothing to do with the iPad.

LOL how did you miss the part where I said "I'm not talking about something an iPad does to music."

Well... since you weren't tagged at all seems like you may have been the one who was triggered?

• @DCJ said:

@BroCoast said:

@DCJ said:

Well... since you weren't tagged at all seems like you may have been the one who was triggered?

I assumed your post was a response to mine. I guess not, carry on.

• @BroCoast said:

@DCJ said:

@BroCoast said:

@DCJ said:

I assumed your post was a response to mine. I guess not, carry on.

All good. At least we agree that an iPad sound is nonsense. :D

• edited July 2019

C'mon everyone knew what Legsmechanical was talking about terminology be dammed :) ,and the message he was trying to convey was absolutely right every beat machine sounds different, lets be good to each other.
    The over all phenomena we are all experiencing is called ' a difference of opinion'.

re:madlib.......... likes to mess with peoples heads, I know for a fact that he has an iPad but to what extent he uses it for music who knows. He's always been open about demonstrating the production gear he uses on video, and always been secretive about the sources of samples he uses. The iPad is the only thing he might use that he hasn't shared a video of, but because of all of the hoopla over a couple of tweets I'm sure he will make a video of it eventually, I bet he will be using Sunvox just to get on peoples nerves :D (btw sunvox is dope for hiphop)

• @kobamoto stop being so sensible.

• @gusgranite said:
    @kobamoto stop being so sensible.

don't jinx me man :)

• I'm so in tune I can tell the difference between an iPhone's sound and an iPad's 🤣 oh and don't get me started on android sound 🤣

• edited July 2019

@legsmechanical my profile pic shows me with my beloved Akai S950/12bit. I also have MPC’s. I can honestly say after 20 ish years using these that since I discovered the ipad in beatmaker3 I can do so much more than routing my hardware to ProTools. The sound I get from the ipad is very very impressive . I actually hear more seperation in the mixes. I can push the levels and the sound won’t get overharsh. If you have an ipad do you not make music on it? If you do then I think your brain has some digital distortion going on.

• @reasOne said:
    I'm so in tune I can tell the difference between an iPhone's sound and an iPad's 🤣 oh and don't get me started on android sound 🤣

Jokes aside. Do you think there is anything in the tools/apps that gives a bit of a signature sound?

I remember when I first heard The Fall (Gorillaz) being able to easily identify Funkbox and other apps. I'd just gotten into making music on iOS at the time and had shared some of my tracks with friends and they asked me straight up:

"Why does your other stuff sound way better/tighter?"

I could identify the same kind of sound on that album that my friends were talking about. That album didn't get very good reviews and people wondered the same thing about the iPad effect.

• Hopefully we'll get devs interested in making a whole new crop of beat machines for us based around this type of production, there seems to be a void out there on the uptake of those core features.... imagine if the Ton drumsampler app had sample slicing, or patterning, etc...

• @kobamoto been looking at Ton for a while but the 6tracks only is limiting

• @BroCoast said:

@reasOne said:
    I'm so in tune I can tell the difference between an iPhone's sound and an iPad's 🤣 oh and don't get me started on android sound 🤣

Jokes aside. Do you think there is anything in the tools/apps that gives a bit of a signature sound?

I remember when I first heard The Fall (Gorillaz) being able to easily identify Funkbox and other apps. I'd just gotten into making music on iOS at the time and had shared some of my tracks with friends and they asked me straight up:

I could identify the same kind of sound on that album that my friends were talking about. That album didn't get very good reviews and people wondered the same thing about the iPad effect.

@BroCoast you probably had a super hot girlfriend distracting you:)

• edited July 2019

@stormbeats said:
    @kobamoto been looking at Ton for a while but the 6tracks only is limiting

I like it the p.locks are cool, but many of the smaller devs are stopping just short of those core features that cater to samplist, If Madlib decided to seriously champion the cause that would be one of the best things for the iPad platform

• edited July 2019

@kobamoto Dj premier / Pete Rock & Rza too. RZA is the kind of person to make his own beatmaking app.
    Does the Ton dev plan to give more tracks?

• @stormbeats said:

@BroCoast said:

@reasOne said:

@BroCoast you probably had a super hot girlfriend distracting you:)

lol I wish.

My theory was that I was just hyped on what the device could do and kind of fooled myself into thinking what I was doing was actually better than what it was.

• edited July 2019

@stormbeats said:
    @kobamoto Dj premier / Pete Rock & Rza too. RZA is the kind of person to make his own beatmaking app.
    Does the Ton dev plan to give more tracks?

I haven't heard him say anything about adding more tracks but I he did say something like he'd be updating the app some more... I guess the guys doing the p.lock stuff feel like they don't need as many tracks because of the p.locks, but my opinion is that the iPad is supposed to be the future of flexibility, features, creativity, and convenience. I wish the devs would put some more flesh on these bones.

a lil common sense

• edited July 2019

@kobamoto might have to give them some Doe In Advance. Check how gritty this rare Gangstarr track sounds....thats the sound

• @stormbeats said:
    ... The sound I get from the ipad is very very impressive . I actually hear more seperation in the mixes. I can push the levels and the sound won’t get overharsh.

that's a very good description - the basic IOS audio processing routines are surprisingly clear and defined. Good IOS mixes remind me more on stuff that friends produce with UAD systems than with (most) 'regular' VST setups.
    Of course that's not based on a representative amount of tracks and leaves individual skills out of the equation, but I had this impression.
    (running old Pro Tools and Creamware Scope parallel with IOS)

For my personal taste IOS on it's own often seems even 'too pristine' (similiar to RME or UAD preamps) and I prefer to mix with external sources or import 'foreign' material.
    Your use of the S950 is a perfect example for such mixed-world applications.
    In fact IOS doesn't have any particular 'character', but this detailed sound is very obvious.

• @Telefunky cool You have good hearing. I was very surprised when I switched to iOS the open sound I get. In my view it smashes protools.

• ((furiously checks the mixes on my last 5 beats to see if the hi hats are indeed too loud))

• edited July 2019

so you don't believe in Analog beat machines eh?

https://www.blacklionaudio.com/black-lion-announces-a-new-akai-mpc-x-mod/

• edited July 2019

you haven't seen a radio interview like this

• edited July 2019

@kobamoto said:
    so you don't believe in Analog beat machines eh?

https://www.blacklionaudio.com/black-lion-announces-a-new-akai-mpc-x-mod/

MMmMMmm, these things look so damn industrial sexy. Big block of button mashing sexy fun.