Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• @legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Thanks for all the beta testers sharing these great scripts today. Enjoyed diving in with some of them. Thanks to all involved and @brambos of course.

I can’t get any of these to load using “open in.” The scripts show up in the Load menu, but don’t actually load when I select them. Wonder if there’s something I’m missing.

I'm having the same issue.

I can run the included scripts fine. But when I use "open in" to bring in another script, the new loaded script doesn't appear in the code window - only the script that was previously running. The layout also doesn't change, even when the new loaded script has a different layout.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Thanks for all the beta testers sharing these great scripts today. Enjoyed diving in with some of them. Thanks to all involved and @brambos of course.

I can’t get any of these to load using “open in.” The scripts show up in the Load menu, but don’t actually load when I select them. Wonder if there’s something I’m missing.

@legsmechanical I had to download them to my own Dropbox first then go to “open in” should work then.

Found a few of the scripts don’t actually seem to load anything in the app mind !

ie Chord Magic. @NoonienS , Chordpeggio @rrc2soft , Strummer I am sending out to BS-16 using inside AUM with AUM keyboard into Mazaic. Not sure if I’m missing a connection ? I can see script in the main body but can’t get nothing out the preset? Maybe a Dropbox script corrupted?

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical I had to download them to my own Dropbox first then go to “open in” should work then.

Found a few of the scripts don’t actually seem to load anything in the app mind !

ie Chord Magic. @NoonienS , Chordpeggio @rrc2soft , Strummer I am sending out to BS-16 using inside AUM with AUM keyboard into Mazaic. Not sure if I’m missing a connection ? I can see script in the main body but can’t get nothing out the preset? Maybe a Dropbox script corrupted?

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Realized after reading one of @brambos post above that I also did it in the wrong way. Here’s a new link, after using the built in Backup Preset function. Hope it works now:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/95xtdo4e6qu2hi0/chordmagic.zip?dl=0

• edited May 2019

Hi all, long time reader, 1st time poster....enjoying exploring Mozaic
    I’ve extended the 1key chord example , so that each of the 4 pads switches to a different chord:

@OnLoad
    chordKeys[0] = 4
    chordKeys[1] = 7
    @end

@OnPadDown
    if LastPad = 0
    chordKeys[0] = 4
    chordKeys[1] = 7

elseif LastPad = 1
    chordKeys[0] = 3
    chordKeys[1] = 7

elseif LastPad = 2
    chordKeys[0] = 4
    chordKeys[1] = 9

elseif LastPad = 3
    chordKeys[0] = 4
    chordKeys[1] = 7
    chordKeys[1] = 12

endif
    @end

@OnMidiNote
    SendMIDIThru // original note
    SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDINote + chordKeys[0], MIDIByte3
    SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDINote + chordKeys[1], MIDIByte3

if LastPad = 3
    SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDINote + chordKeys[2], MIDIByte3
    endif
    @End

• @kryten42 said:
    Hi all, long time reader, 1st time poster....enjoying exploring Mozaic
    I’ve extended the 1key chord example , so that each of the 4 pads switches to a different chord:

Awesome! :)

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    I’m guessing you can name knobs in this right? Just that the pics I’ve seen all just have numbered knobs.

Yes. And they can be dynamic too. For instance, you can append a the knob’s value to its label as it changes.

Everything is automatable right? So you could build macros and stuff with different divisions on one knob and then automate it in daw (or self-patching). Might have to grab this and resign myself to using a long forgotten part of my brain :)

Not quite everything. The 22 knobs and the XY pad are exposed as AU parameters. And there are an extra 8 AU parameters for other stuff.

Yes, you can make knobs work as though they have different divisions. Their actual values are 0.00 to 127.99, so you need to do some rounding. And there is a handy function for “scaling” values that makes it easy to scale the numbers. For example: Round(TranslateScale, 0, 127, 0, 15) would give you 16 divisions.

• @wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    I’m guessing you can name knobs in this right? Just that the pics I’ve seen all just have numbered knobs.

Yes. And they can be dynamic too. For instance, you can append a the knob’s value to its label as it changes.

Everything is automatable right? So you could build macros and stuff with different divisions on one knob and then automate it in daw (or self-patching). Might have to grab this and resign myself to using a long forgotten part of my brain :)

Not quite everything. The 22 knobs and the XY pad are exposed as AU parameters. And there are an extra 8 AU parameters for other stuff.

Yes, you can make knobs work as though they have different divisions. Their actual values are 0.00 to 127.99, so you need to do some rounding. And there is a handy function for “scaling” values that makes it easy to scale the numbers. For example: Round(TranslateScale, 0, 127, 0, 15) would give you 16 divisions.

Yes, and one more thing you can do is to dynamically change the knob label when the value of the knob changes (to give the user visual feedback). I use that a lot in the Chord Magic script

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@BiancaNeve said:

@wim said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    Is there a way to check a midi note against an array (other than the scale)

Yes. When a midi note is received, you get its note number as a variable, so your can then just use that variable to reference the position in the array. Example: noteArray[MIDINote]

That’s not what I meant.

Suppose I wanted to check if the note was one of (c1#,d1#,f1#,g1#,a1#)

Yes, I did this with one of my projects. It took a bit of head scratching but I worked it out.

octave = Div MIDINote, 12
    pitch = MIDINote - (octave * 12)
    // pitch will be 0 for c through 11 for b 

• @wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Or you can use the integer division function if you’re feeling boffin’ish:

@OnKnobChange
      value = Div (GetKnobValue LastKnob), 8
      Log value
    @End

• @NoonienS said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Realized after reading one of @brambos post above that I also did it in the wrong way. Here’s a new link, after using the built in Backup Preset function. Hope it works now:

Thanks for getting back @NoonienS took a few attempts the script appears loaded I tried the pads still no sound. I also tried the AUM keyboard and tried running the transport !

• Mister @Brambos, can you add all the user ´s dropbox presets (Strummer,Chordmagic and chordpeggio) in the next Mozaic update ? It doesn’t run properly. Is it possible to create a kind of Korg kaosspad ( With chords, arpeggio and scales) ?

• @brambos said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Or you can use the integer division function if you’re feeling boffin’ish:

@OnKnobChange
    value = Div (GetKnobValue LastKnob), 8
    Log value
    @End

I like that much better.

• @wim said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@wim said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Yes. When a midi note is received, you get its note number as a variable, so your can then just use that variable to reference the position in the array. Example: noteArray[MIDINote]

That’s not what I meant.

Yes, I did this with one of my projects. It took a bit of head scratching but I worked it out.

or even simpler, use
    pitch= MIDINote % 12

Same result

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @brambos any chance of having multiple output ports (not channels)?

• @Jhnk said:
    This looks amazing! But I’m not sure what I would use it for. I just got a sensel morph and had fun designing a controller on that. Would there be any sense in combining the two I wonder? Or would that be kind of redundant? Basically, I have no idea how to combine the shit I already have and this intrigues me/confuses me even more, with all the possibilities.

I've been looking at the Morph. I take it it's usable on iOS, then?

• @NoonienS said:

@wim said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@wim said:

@BiancaNeve said:

That’s not what I meant.

or even simpler, use
    pitch= MIDINote % 12

Same result

Sheesh. OK ... still learning! Thanks.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@NoonienS said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Thanks for getting back @NoonienS took a few attempts the script appears loaded I tried the pads still no sound. I also tried the AUM keyboard and tried running the transport !

@Jumpercollins said:

@NoonienS said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

By default ”play mode” is set to off.You need to set that using the second knob (with no pad selected). Then, it should start playing with the host transport (next bar)..Or perhaps you already did this?

• Reading through the thread, this thing looks the business. Not done any programming for a few years, but a quick look at the manual and it seems the language is pretty straightforward. I'll probably end up doing more programming the music-making now.

• I say we kidnap Bram’s favorite pet or family member and hold them hostage until he ports the Mozaic interpreter to a hardware version.

Imagine being able to download scripts to a hardware version of this. B)

• @EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Argh. You just talked me back out of it! Kidding ;)

This seems like an app that would really benefit from some long YouTube videos walking people through these kind of things you mention. Like I have zero idea what you’re talking about in those last couple of sentences (down to my ignorance, not to your fault ;)

I was just thinking about using one knob and have it be different time divisions as it travelled through its range. And also doing stuff like changing the note quantisation (pitch) at the same intervals on the knob travel. So there’s some macro type stuff happening. Then automating the knob in daw or via another knob or x/y. But im not sure I could get anywhere close to making this happen after reading that last sentence ;)

In the effort to be complete I probably overcomplicated the answer. But yes, if that threw you, then probably it isn’t for you.

I can’t imagine a YouTube video that would be useful for this. If you look at the manual and it doesn’t make sense to you then ... walk away.

• @grego68 said:
    Mister @Brambos, can you add all the user ´s dropbox presets (Strummer,Chordmagic and chordpeggio) in the next Mozaic update ? It doesn’t run properly. Is it possible to create a kind of Korg kaosspad ( With chords, arpeggio and scales) ?

I am going to make a video explaining how to load and use my scripts, and fix the things in my own topic. No worries, you will be playing with them soon :)

• I’m not a keen coder but this looks great!
    Anyone know if I could create something like the SB Factory “morph” slider sending out multiple MIDI CC values?

• @iamspoon said:
    I’m not a keen coder but this looks great!
    Anyone know if I could create something like the SB Factory “morph” slider sending out multiple MIDI CC values?

You could use Mozaic XY Pad and/or knobs to send CC values depending on the XY/knob value. Mozaic creates events whenever the value of the GUI elements are changed.

Give me an example of what you want and I will try to code the skeleton for you ;)

• @audio_DT said:

@Jhnk said:
    This looks amazing! But I’m not sure what I would use it for. I just got a sensel morph and had fun designing a controller on that. Would there be any sense in combining the two I wonder? Or would that be kind of redundant? Basically, I have no idea how to combine the shit I already have and this intrigues me/confuses me even more, with all the possibilities.

Yup, works very well via USB or over bluetooth. You need a MacOS or Windows to run the application which goes with it though (for updating/uploading new controllers).

• edited May 2019

@NoonienS said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@NoonienS said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@NoonienS said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

By default ”play mode” is set to off.You need to set that using the second knob (with no pad selected). Then, it should start playing with the host transport (next bar)..Or perhaps you already did this?

@NoonienS

Tried that still no sound definitely missing something !

• @EyeOhEss said:

@skrat said:
    Thanks a lot @brambos and also @wim who obviously did great testing and preset-making job :smile:
    This is really a gamechanger, the GUI gives it a twist that is gamechanging not only for the iOS scene, but the whole music scene - there are some customizable MIDI controller apps, but none that gives so much flexibility.

Few quick ideas I noted during beta testing but didn't manage to send them yet (sorry :confused: )

• Button labels - this could be very useful for custom actions assigned on them. Many stage musicians may use Mozaic to trigger some crazy MIDI signals on a single button tap. But on a physical controller, you can put a tape with handwritten note on it. On iphone/iPad screen, it wouldn't really work :smiley:

• I love using knobs as a sequencer and there are already some beautiful examples in Mozaic for this, but it would be awesome if there is some indicator of currently played step to better understand the sequence playing. Maybe a little LED light like there's for the MIDI / beat / user signal?

• As I am writing this, I had an idea to try out if I can use emojis as labels. Yes, you can use emojis in labels. If I am able to dynamically change the labels, I will be just replacing ⚪️ to 🔴 on currently played note. So maybe the point above is not really relevant.

• A OnKnobTap and OnKnobRelease events. If you ever used hardware controller with touch-sensitive knobs (e.g. Ableton Push), you'll know how this can be useful. Imagine such mapping: knob tap start: enable filter, knob change: changes frequency, knob tap release: disable filter. Or the same for LFO->filter enabling/disabling and LFO speed. Crazy performance possibilities with even such simple setups.

• RBG (color) control on buttons. Again, a useful thing for step sequencers, clip launching, recording, distinguish between active/inactive, one-shot/loop etc etc... Still, the lightning up the pad is good to stay as is - the unlit button will just be darker shade of the color and the one that's lit up will be brighter. We'll known from Lauchpad/Ableton Push/AKAI APC...

• I was also playing with idea of "paging" - imagine you're not limited to 22 knobs or 16 pads, but you could switch between pages with another set of 22 knobs / 16 pads,... by some up/down arrow buttons. Ableton-like clip/scene launcher with buttons would be possible this way. This is again a concept from hardware MIDI controllers to solve limited amount of controls and can be very helpful. Yes, you can save each page as a separate preset and load multiple instances, but then you need to duplicate scripts and on every "global" change you'd need to change scripts for all the pages...

• Change background color to quickly distinguish the Mozaic instances meaning. Imagine a Mosaic with white background controls
      troublemaker, black one controls Rusimaker, dark blue controls Noir, etc... Or another point of view: black = mixer, green = effects, blue = bass synth macros, etc... Of course, a given set of background colors is probably better here than some RGB

...and Bram wanted to finally create an app that would kill all the endless feature requests :lol:

I really like the idea of this but not sure about the ‘time investment vs reward’ for myself.

How long would it take to build something quite complex in this like some of the midi au out there already?

Some the these things would be simple, though, like offering different coloured backgrounds for layouts. This is something I'd assumed was already part of the package, anyway. I'll be downloaded it later to have a look at it.

• @Jhnk said:

@audio_DT said:

@Jhnk said:

Yup, works very well via USB or over bluetooth. You need a MacOS or Windows to run the application which goes with it though (for updating/uploading new controllers).

Excellent. I may well get this, then. I've got a Windows dekstop and a Mac laptop, so all good on that score. Cheers.

• edited May 2019

@wim said:
    Dynamic Scale Quantizer. This one was prompted by a post some months back from someone looking for an app that would listen to midi note input, and build a scale filter from it. For instance, play a chord, then have any input forced to only the notes of the chord. if anyone locates that thread, please let me know. I’d be interested to know if this works the way the poster had in mind.

Dropbox download link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh96ndo12a3cbk0/Dynamic Scale Quantize.mozaic?dl=0

This is FIRE. (especially after "generative" apps like fugue)

My god.... this app... the embarrassment of riches that hath fallen from the sky unto our empty hands!