Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• @EyeOhEss said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@brambos said:
    Let’s not mention SB. I’m kind of annoyed at how much of its recent inspiration seems to come from the Mozaic announcements.

...not to speak of his source of inspiration for Mozaic in the first place ;)

Mozaic started out as a sort of Reaktor modular app with wired-up graphical MIDI modules (basically a huge MIDI version of Ripplemaker). But after having the basic designs ready it struck me that the UI - though interesting looking- was rather opaque and complex. Having lots of tangled wires looks cool, but it makes it very hard to "read" and the same results could often be achieved by writing a few lines of pseudo code which required the same level of algorithmic thinking as wiring up complex modules. I decided to pursue the pseudo-code route which turned into Mozaic.

Would love to see a reaktor style modular midi au on iOS! Hope you return to that idea one day :) Can always have a show/hide cables button to clean up the view when needed ;)

It wasn't necessarily the cables that were confusing... It was just that you had to follow them all and memorize their paths to decypher what was going on. The modular layout was really hiding the "meaning" of the algorithms. Which made it incredibly hard to reverse engineer what someone else's layout meant. Whereas a few lines of clearly readable script were immediately much clearer to interpret. Especially when multiple parallel paths and conditions got involved :)

• Same for me here, no comma on my iphone 7 plus. It does appear on my ipad though. Ios 12.

Both are set to english (canada)

@cuscolima said:
    I have tried all possibilities (press and hold button to have more options). Comma is nowhere. If I press the dot...a dot is displayed

• @reasOne said:

@brambos said:

@reasOne said:
    This is great and I'll deff get it today!
    Bram is a staple to the iOS community and super honest about his apps!
    I've wanted to learn some coding so I feel like this is deff going to be a good way to scratch that itch while leaving the real coding to the pros haha...
    I guess im curious, and pardon my ignorance lol, if this can be made into a synth or audio effects unit... Or is it designed to purely be a midi controller and midi effects au...

One thing I would like to see it used for..
    I set up sequences in several instances of steppolyarp, routed to various synths, and use one key on the aum keyboard to trigger them all at once...
    I'm wondering if I can set up pads with mosaic to where each pad will send a midi note to different instances of a steppolyarp unit... Using one key is a bit limiting and takes a lot longer to program the spa sequences as some of them I may not want to start hitting notes until they to a second bar... so if each key or pad on mosaic can be set different sequences I'd be in heaven...

That sounds quite easy. Sending out a different note for each pad (would that also require different MIDI channels?) is probably about 5 lines of script. I could write one later today as an example.

Yes I've tried to figure out how to do this with kb-1, but I'm pretty sure kb-1 pads are unable to send to individual channel's, you can set up a pad to trigger multiple instances of spa but each key press goes to every and all instances, no way to send pad one to just one instance and pad two to a separate one, if I'm making any sense, so mosaic for this capability alone is a must have for me! Yes if you are able to create that, that would be my weekend 😁

Here's a little script which sends out a note to different channels depending on which pad you tap. First pad = ch0, second pad = ch1, third pad = ch2, etc.

@OnLoad
      notenum = 60 // change this to reflect the note you want to send
      ShowLayout 2 // pads layout  
    @End

@OnPadDown 
      pad = LastPad // 0-15
      SendMIDINoteOn pad, notenum, 100
      SendMIDINoteOff pad, notenum, 0, 250  
    @End

@Description
    Whenever you hit a pad a note will be sent to the corresponding MIDI channel. 
    1st pad = channel 0,  2nd pad = channel 1, ... 16th pad = channel 15
    @End

Right now it sends the same note and just changes the channels. If you also need different notes to be sent out per pad I can add that. Let know :)

Just copy/paste the code above in the script window and you should be good to go!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@brambos said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@brambos said:
    Let’s not mention SB. I’m kind of annoyed at how much of its recent inspiration seems to come from the Mozaic announcements.

...not to speak of his source of inspiration for Mozaic in the first place ;)

Mozaic started out as a sort of Reaktor modular app with wired-up graphical MIDI modules (basically a huge MIDI version of Ripplemaker). But after having the basic designs ready it struck me that the UI - though interesting looking- was rather opaque and complex. Having lots of tangled wires looks cool, but it makes it very hard to "read" and the same results could often be achieved by writing a few lines of pseudo code which required the same level of algorithmic thinking as wiring up complex modules. I decided to pursue the pseudo-code route which turned into Mozaic.

Would love to see a reaktor style modular midi au on iOS! Hope you return to that idea one day :) Can always have a show/hide cables button to clean up the view when needed ;)

It wasn't necessarily the cables that were confusing... It was just that you had to follow them all and memorize their paths to decypher what was going on. The modular layout was really hiding the "meaning" of the algorithms. Which made it incredibly hard to reverse engineer what someone else's layout meant. Whereas a few lines of clearly readable script were immediately much clearer to interpret. Especially when multiple parallel paths and conditions got involved :)

We can handle it :) Reaktor and VCV etc are fine to use so it shouldn’t be any different really I guess? I actually find routing easier to keep track of in something like that than I do when separate midi au are chained.

Sounds like a totally different app to Mozaic so I can see how you veered off in favour of doing something else, they sound like totally different tools really in terms of workflow etc, but it’s an app I’d Jump on for sure! One to keep in mind maybe for future :)

I love modular stuff, so it's still on my mental shelf for an app which can make better use of the paradigm (somehow after staring at the concept for days it struck me that modular lends itself much nicer to continuous audio signals than very discrete time-based stuff like MIDI).

:)

• @brambos I can't even begin to imagine how hard it was to get this approved by Tim Apple!

not only is it AU, so when the tester launched it, it didn't "do anything", but even once it's in a host, it doesn't "do anything"! ;)

• edited May 2019

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    @brambos I can't even begin to imagine how hard it was to get this approved by Tim Apple!

not only is it AU, so when the tester launched it, it didn't "do anything", but even once it's in a host, it doesn't "do anything"! ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: thats true :))) Considering fact that first NS2 submission was rejected by reviewer with reason "it doesn't play any audio when on background" (guy obviously didn't enabled background audio switch in settings :lol: ), it's almost miracle this passed through approval :)))

• @Carnbot said:
    Well I can only see healthy influence in both directions and the consumer wins in the end because both apps are great :)

Bingo!

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Is there a way to check a midi note against an array (other than the scale)

Yes. When a midi note is received, you get its note number as a variable, so your can then just use that variable to reference the position in the array. Example: noteArray[MIDINote]

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@bleep said:
    I guess one would need something like @OnPadXYChange (use LastPad to get pad number), GetPadXValue (pad number) and GetPadYValue (pad number). Up for consideration, @brambos?

Humm? Those are already there...
    [edit] oops. You meant from the pads. I thought you were talking about the XY Pad. nvm

@OnXYChange
    <var> = GetXValue
    <var> = GetYValue
    SetXYValues <x>, <y>

• @EyeOhEss said:
    I’m guessing you can name knobs in this right? Just that the pics I’ve seen all just have numbered knobs.

Yes. And they can be dynamic too. For instance, you can append a the knob’s value to its label as it changes.

• edited May 2019

@Jumpercollins said:
    Thanks for all the beta testers sharing these great scripts today. Enjoyed diving in with some of them. Thanks to all involved and @brambos of course.

I can’t get any of these to load using “open in.” The scripts show up in the Load menu, but don’t actually load when I select them. Wonder if there’s something I’m missing.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Can something built in this have its own presets?

Not really. You could store settings in an array, and recall them via a knob or pad, but there wouldn’t be a way to name them. You can store presets in the host though.

• @legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Thanks for all the beta testers sharing these great scripts today. Enjoyed diving in with some of them. Thanks to all involved and @brambos of course.

I can’t get any of these to load using “open in.” The scripts show up in the Load menu, but don’t actually load when I select them. Wonder if there’s something I’m missing.

Just tried the "Strummer" one from @rrc2soft , but it seems that is actually a text-file and not a Mozaic file (which also contains the plugin state and the variables). Rodrigo, is it possible that you saved a textfile and named it .mozaic or did you export this from the plugin?

Anyway, I pasted the script and exported it as a Mozaic preset file. You should be able to load this one with Open In...
    It's a really impressive script and it does some very nice things!!

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@EyeOhEss said:
    @brambos is there a reason why the layouts are rigid and seems like limit of ‘one layout per instance’? Seems like this app could potentially be used to build really convenient ‘all my modulation in one instance/window’ modular setups if could treat each layout as a module and chain them etc. Maybe something for future if not possible already :)

It’s not limited to one layout per instance really. The layout in view can be changed programmatically. For instance, by hitting the shift button to move to the next view. (Note though, that these are just different views of the same controls.)

On the other hand, you could build up a mega controller by dynamically changing the cc’s assigned to the knobs. For instance, you could have each of the 16 pads set up a different combination of cc’s on the knobs.

Or, you could assign a knob to select setups, giving 128 possibilities (actually 12,800 if you want to get technical about it) . Or combine knobs to multiply that 128 or 12,800 times if you like. ;)

• edited May 2019

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@legsmechanical I had to download them to my own Dropbox first then go to “open in” should work then.

Found a few of the scripts don’t actually seem to load anything in the app mind !

ie Chord Magic. @NoonienS , Chordpeggio @rrc2soft , Strummer I am sending out to BS-16 using inside AUM with AUM keyboard into Mazaic. Not sure if I’m missing a connection ? I can see script in the main body but can’t get nothing out the preset? Maybe a Dropbox script corrupted?

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes, are the knobs and sliders etc exposed as AU parameters?

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2019

@brambos said:
    Just tried the "Strummer" one from @rrc2soft , but it seems that is actually a text-file and not a Mozaic file (which also contains the plugin state and the variables). Rodrigo, is it possible that you saved a textfile and named it .mozaic or did you export this from the plugin?

Yeah, I did just that (save script as text file, rename to .Mozaic), my fault :# . I will try to export things properly and update my post :) .

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Is there a ‘preset modulator’ patch for this out there? Something you could use to lock different preset per step, or lfo for patch changes etc?

Sure... here's a really crude example:

@OnNewBar
      value = GetLFOValue 0 // get the current value from LFO 0, which is by default in the range 0-127
      SendMIDIProgramChange 0, value // send the LFO value out as a program change value
    @End

This effectively takes an LFO value and sends it out as a PC message on the start of every new bar. Not very pretty, but it shows how easy it is ;)

• @wim said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Yes. When a midi note is received, you get its note number as a variable, so your can then just use that variable to reference the position in the array. Example: noteArray[MIDINote]

That’s not what I meant.

Suppose I wanted to check if the note was one of (c1#,d1#,f1#,g1#,a1#)

• @BiancaNeve said:

@wim said:

@BiancaNeve said:

That’s not what I meant.

Suppose I wanted to check if the note was one of (c1#,d1#,f1#,g1#,a1#)

You can loop through an array and see if there's a match.

// define note numbers
    ar[0] = 1
    ar[1] = 3
    ar[2] = 6

// see if there's a hit?
    for i = 0 to 2
      if MIDINote = ar[i]
        Log {Found one!}
      endif
    endfor

Something like that?

• @brambos said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Anyway, I pasted the script and exported it as a Mozaic preset file. You should be able to load this one with Open In...

Just tried that one @brambos after unzipping, went to open in. Doesn’t load for me in Mozaic doesn’t appear in the user presets.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@brambos said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Just tried that one @brambos after unzipping, went to open in. Doesn’t load for me in Mozaic doesn’t appear in the user presets.

Turns out you can just open the zip directly on Mozaic. Worked for me. Very cool script.

• @brambos got these in my user preset list, top 2 chord ones don’t do anything?