Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• edited May 2019

Version is 12.2, Iphone7. I will upgrade to 12.3 to see if it changes something

Edit: nope...same issue on 12.3...comm'as you are...

• The Quest for the Lost Comma :D

• The comma is in a coma

• Can you use speech to text and just tell "COMMA" 🤣

• I have a comma with Swype keyboard !. Be jealous 😆 cuz you can't download Swype anymore from the app store unless you had it before they stole it

• @brambos said:

Yes it does, very nicely in fact because it leaves the entire screen for the other panels! :)

Awesome. Am skimming the manual while waiting on a coworker and it reads very well so far.

LFOs are exciting. I'm wondering if white/pink/brown noise would be useful for MIDI...

• @brambos said:
    The Quest for the Lost Comma :D

@cuscolima said:
    The comma is in a coma

comma comma comma comma comma chameleon...it comes and goes...it comes and goes :D

• edited May 2019

@brambos if I have absolutely no interest in creating my own custom plugins, nor learning a scripting language, etc.. is there enough in the included presets/scripts that don’t require any additional config scripting right out of the box that is still useful? Or, is it really just for those who enjoy getting their hands dirty with ultra custom configurations?

Never mind. Will sit on the sidelines and see what develops. My question was mostly related to the same scenario I have with the Audulus app. I never really took to building my own. I learned the basics, then decided I wasn't interested in spending the time to learn more. However, there are lots of stuff other's have built that make Audulus well worth having. You can load up stuff other's built.. run it as an IAA in your host, tweak it, add effects, etc.

So, even though learning what's needed to build my own stuff in Audulus doesn't really interest me, it's still worth having for the factory patches and freely available things others have built.

I'm assuming Mosaic is similar in this regard.

congrats on the launch!

• edited May 2019

@brambos

Any chance to add something like "setActiveOut " which will affect where all send* commands are sending data ?

example:

# change default outgoing data port to this
    setActiveOutput midiPort "Nanostudio 2"

# send some notes to "Nanostudio 2" midi input instead of to plugin's midi out stream
    sendMIDINoteOn ...
    sendMIDINoteOn ...
    sendMIDICC ...

# revert do default (eg. sending stuff to plugin output stream)
    setActiveOutput default

use case:

ability to control multiple midi devices from single channel, for example for layering

• edited May 2019

@dendy , I’m not sure I understand. Routing of MIDI is up to the AUv3 host which is hosting the Mozaic plugin, because the plugin is not aware of MIDI devices or apps. I suppose the mechanism you want to use here is channels which can then be managed further by the host?

• For example Blueveek's MIDI Tools "Route" plugin does this - you put it as MIDI fx on track and it allows you send any incoming MIDI data to any available MIDI input port (that "destination knob")

• Many compliments for Mozaic, @brambos ! A wonderful midi-kitchen: with a code-editor with code-completion, a programming-reference and changeable fontsize (!), a very 'elegant' (and accessible) programming-language, a nice GUI for all kinds of var-manipulation and a top-class manual. I am certain that this app will inspire many of us to create very interesting and creative midi-flows.

• @dendy said:
    For example Blueveek's MIDI Tools "Route" plugin does this - you put it as MIDI fx on track and it allows you send any incoming MIDI data to any available MIDI input port (that "destination knob")

That looks like a slightly illegal loophole in CoreMidi, as AU plugins are not supposed to access that :o

• @brambos said:
    @dendy , I’m not sure I understand. Routing of MIDI is up to the AUv3 host which is hosting the Mozaic plugin, because the plugin is not aware of MIDI devices or apps. I suppose the mechanism you want to use here is channels which can then be managed further by the host?

This is fine for the most part, but when you have devices that use all 16 channels then the device itself becomes important. Host routing will be fine in 99% of cases I guess.

For that 1%....What about creating a mozaic instance for each multi channel device you want to send to, and then create a 'controller' instance that uses the globals to turn on/off the output from each ?

Having global events would be really nice so that instances could react to things happening in other instances, you could use MIDI for this too I guess, but you'd then need to keep a channel free for instance comms...

• @brambos said:

@dendy said:
    For example Blueveek's MIDI Tools "Route" plugin does this - you put it as MIDI fx on track and it allows you send any incoming MIDI data to any available MIDI input port (that "destination knob")

That looks like a slightly illegal loophole in CoreMidi, as AU plugins are not supposed to access that :o

Don't tell Apple!

• edited May 2019

@blueveek said:

@brambos said:

@dendy said:

Don't tell Apple!

I won’t but that’s sort of my main concern. I’m hesitant to base key features on functionality they may take away or actively block at any moment.

• @blueveek said:

@brambos said:

@dendy said:

Don't tell Apple!

I'm looking forward to WWDC'19 and iOS13...

Depending on the lobby-work done towards the music peeps at Apple we might even get more freedom!

• @brambos said:

@blueveek said:

@brambos said:

@dendy said:

Don't tell Apple!

I won’t but that’s sort of my main concern. I’m hesitant to base key features on functionality they may take away at any moment.

As long as Tim doesn't find out that it's possible in the first place, we're fine. When they do, well, there's gonna be a lot of 1-star app reviews for me then.

• Hm interesting, ok thanks guys for explanation. In this case it would be probably bad idea to add such hack into Mozaic - if Apple breaks it, then potentially many user scripts will stop working.

• edited May 2019

Could you have a mechanism for routing from one instance to another? I guess globals kind of gives you that, but just thinking that a mechanism for having MIDI routes that are independent of the MIDI mechanism could be quite neat.

• @dendy said:
    Hm interesting, ok thanks guys for explanation. In this case it would be probably bad idea to add such hack into Mozaic - if Apple breaks it, then potentially many user scripts will stop working.

This seems like a perfectly valid thing to do and could be used for layering, as well as other things....

@AndyPlankton said:
    Create a mozaic instance for each device you want to send to, and then create a 'controller' instance that uses the globals to turn on/off the output from each ?

Using and modifying the send note on each beat example from the docs....

script in mozaic instance for each device would look something like

@OnNewBeat
    if GLOBAL0 = 1
    SendMIDINoteOn 0, 35, 100
    SendMIDINoteOff 0, 35, 0, 300
    endif
    @End

use a different global for each mozaic instance (device), GLOBAL0, GLOBAL1, GLOBAL2........

The controller instance then just needs to set GLOBAL0, GLOBAL1, GLOBAL2 to 0 for off and to 1 for on, either via a formula or using pads to manually control the instances...

One instance to control them all !

• Each global can be an array, correct? It would be a horrible hack, but there's probably a way to route midi that way.

• @brambos said:
    I will investigate the weird comma-less keyboard. I haven’t run into this while testing. Bizarre! Why would Apple make a keyboard with multiple ‘.’ and no ‘,’ ?

Possibly related to international keyboards where a “.” Is a decimal indicator in one language but a comma in another??

• edited May 2019

@klownshed said:
    Possibly related to international keyboards where a “.” Is a decimal indicator in one language but a comma in another??

"." is comma in almost all coding/scripting languages, so probably apple love coders more than normal users ;)

• Get Swype you'll get your comma

• @AndyPlankton said:

@dendy said:
    Hm interesting, ok thanks guys for explanation. In this case it would be probably bad idea to add such hack into Mozaic - if Apple breaks it, then potentially many user scripts will stop working.

This seems like a perfectly valid thing to do and could be used for layering, as well as other things....

Maybe will Bram surprise us :-) I would be glad if yes of course :)

• @cian said:
    Each global can be an array, correct? It would be a horrible hack, but there's probably a way to route midi that way.

You could possibly hack something using a timer to read globals..but it wouldn't be reliable and would miss events.

Global events with parameters would be a good way to do it...the global events would be a message queue between all mozaic instances.

• Ha Ha StreamByter is fighting back, the dev just dropped in a midi looper called Nimble looper in the beta !

Works pretty good.

@brambos The challenge has been set, first one to produce a midi looper inside Mozaic!

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Ha Ha StreamByter is fighting back, the dev just dropped in a midi looper called Nimble looper in the beta !

Works pretty good.

@brambos The challenge has been set, first one to produce a midi looper inside Mozaic!

This thing could put ENSO on the back burner !

• Is there a way to check a midi note against an array (other than the scale)

I’m looking to emulate old Yamaha keyboards auto chording. Ie where

Press the root note of the chord. Would generate major triad

Press the root note together with
    any white key to the left of it. Major 7th

any black key to the left of it. Minor triad

any white and black key to the
    left of it (three keys altogether). Minor 7th