Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Update

Comments

• @j_liljedahl said:

@cuscolima said:
    @j_liljedahl Some apps have so many parameters that can be midi mapped that I have a lot of trouble finding which one is corresponding to which button on the app. Is there a general midi learn function that I can activate and then, I just turn a button and it highlights the corresponding parameter ? It will be then much easier to define the channel and the CC...

I will investigate if something like this would be possible.

It would be amazing to have this feature!

Also, as I've mentioned before, I think it would be very useful to have a consolidated view of all current mappings. I.e. every assigned mapping to every plugin in one list / page.

There are two main uses:
    1- when returning to a song after a while it can be hard to remember what is mapped where; especially as the modular aspect of composing in AUM becomes more prevalent and new MIDI extensions come to market there's a lot to keep track of and the current practice of going through the hierarchy of tracks and plugins and scrolling through long lists of mostly unassigned parameters to find the ones used is rather cumbersome.
    2- during the composition / mixing process, you might need to balance a few values - realizing that one LFO is applying too much modulation here and another too little. Having a central location of the assigned values would make this much quicker and easier (especially if you're trying to match values in different assignments).

I would imagine the best place would be a consolidated list on the right side of the MIDI Routing page. This way you have a complete snapshot of all of the routing and mappings in one place!

Hoping you'll consider this!

• @cuscolima said:
    @j_liljedahl Some apps have so many parameters that can be midi mapped that I have a lot of trouble finding which one is corresponding to which button on the app. Is there a general midi learn function that I can activate and then, I just turn a button and it highlights the corresponding parameter ? It will be then much easier to define the channel and the CC...

+1

• On the new behavior of pressing the ‘+’ button, and being presented with a choice that disappears after a few seconds...

It is not really an issue. You almost always choose ‘audio’, after you create one ‘midi’ channel.
    There is not really any reason to keep creating more midi channels.
    And if you are going to import another channel, you already know that, so no choosing or deciding which button to push is necessary. Just push ‘import’,

Only before creating the first midi channel is any thought required. You have to choose between ‘audio’ and ‘midi’. But once you create a single midi channel, you load the AU midi stuff there using its own ‘+’, while the familiar ‘+’ button would just be used to create new audio channels from then on. Sure you might eventually want to create a second midi channel or import another channel, but you already know which button you need to push, so again, no choice or pondering required.

• Just about even more perfect! Awesome.

@j_liljedahl one minor thought... would be nice if duplicate channel would plop the dup to the right of source channel rather than alllllll the way to the right of all channels.

But so glad to have a duplicate. And it seems you added toggle to regular cc mapping!

• I started a thread about this, but there appears to be significant drift the past few months between 'synced' apps in AUM. I feel like it has something to do with only 'starting / stopping' apps but not actually syncing them continually. Your thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

• Tinkering with Bleass, now hat the channels are separated. AUM is running like a goddamn champ!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Thank’s Jonathan for an incredible update of AUM!

One question from me: What’s the most easy way to filter the velocity to a instrument?
    One example is a layer of a piano and a upright bass, and I wanna filter down the velocity to be max 100 to the bass and the minimum velocity on the piano to be 65?

Playing on the internal keyboard or external keyboard should work...?

There's no velocity scaling processing built into AUM, but you can use "MIDI Curve" from Audio Veeks "MIDI Tools" bundle.

I tried Midi Curve in AUM now, but no success to setup the right AUM setup to have everything working...

Is that anybody else here who have tried Midi Curve from Blue Veek (Audio Veek) as an AU Midi plugin?
    Is there any manual to the whole Midi Tools from him?

• edited April 2019

@ErrkaPetti MIDI Curve would be inserted in AUM's MIDI channel, accepting input from the MIDI event source, and providing MIDI to the synth. Adjust the Out Min and Out Max in Clip mode to constrain the velocity to fall within a certain range. Adjust the Drive and Dampen to shape the curve. Switch to Gate mode to eliminate misfires.

One thing I found confusing at first is that In/Out Link is enabled by default.

Tutorial: http://audioveek.com/curve/

• @mojozart said:
    @ErrkaPetti MIDI Curve would be inserted in AUM's MIDI channel, accepting input from the MIDI event source, and providing MIDI to the drum synth. Adjust the Out Min and Out Max in Clip mode to constrain the velocity to fall within a certain range. Adjust the Drive and Dampen to shape the curve. Switch to Gate mode to eliminate misfires.

Tutorial: http://audioveek.com/

Ok, thank’s!!
    I give it a try and coming back later for telling if it’s ok...

• edited April 2019

@j_liljedahl Any plans on adding support for selecting which of the mics on an iOS to use in both AUM and AudioShare?

Apparently this can be done but only a few apps support it (TwistedWave and Filmic Pro are two).

On the iPhone 8 it would be super handy to be able to use the built-in mic while using the lightning earbuds to monitor the recording.

@Michael The mic/input selection would be super handy in AudioBus too...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@mojozart said:
    @ErrkaPetti MIDI Curve would be inserted in AUM's MIDI channel, accepting input from the MIDI event source, and providing MIDI to the drum synth. Adjust the Out Min and Out Max in Clip mode to constrain the velocity to fall within a certain range. Adjust the Drive and Dampen to shape the curve. Switch to Gate mode to eliminate misfires.

Ok, thank’s!!

Hmmm... Still can’t make Midi Curve work in AUM...
    Can’t understand what I’m doing wrong...
    I want restricted velocity on the piano app (Colossus or Beathawk acoustic piano) together with iFretless Bass...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@mojozart said:

Ok, thank’s!!

I want restricted velocity on the piano app (Colossus or Beathawk acoustic piano) together with iFretless Bass...

Any follow up? Did it work?

• @Zjenji said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@mojozart said:

Ok, thank’s!!

Any follow up? Did it work?

No, sorry...
    Anybody out there who can show us less intelligent people how to setup Midi Curve in AUM (with pictures would be nice)?
    I want have the possibility to use both AUM keyboard and external Midi keyboard (AUM first prio)...
    Any?

• You are not putting much effort into describing the steps you take that fail, but I'm guessing you are using the shortcut menu next to each AU for selecting midi input? In that case, you need to

• For the AU synth, select Midi Curve as the only input
    • For Midi Curve, select the builtin AUM keyboard as the only input

With this in place, you should be able to have Midi Curve working and seeing the effect by adjusting the mentioned knobs. Working?

Then it is a small matter to open the Midi routing page in AUM to see how to also handle other midi inputs at the same time through Midi Curve (or even using a second Midi Curve if you want different adjustments for each input type).

• @bleep said:
    You are not putting much effort into describing the steps you take that fail, but I'm guessing you are using the shortcut menu next to each AU for selecting midi input? In that case, you need to

• For the AU synth, select Midi Curve as the only input
    • For Midi Curve, select the builtin AUM keyboard as the only input

With this in place, you should be able to have Midi Curve working and seeing the effect by adjusting the mentioned knobs. Working?

Then it is a small matter to open the Midi routing page in AUM to see how to also handle other midi inputs at the same time through Midi Curve (or even using a second Midi Curve if you want different adjustments for each input type).

Ha! Thanks @bleep !!
    It was the routing that went wrong between Midi Curve and my misery brain ;-)

Now I can play the right setup in AUM!
    Luckily we have all this wonderful members here on Audiobus forum!

• Good!
    Midi Curve is a fine tool, nice to be reminded of using it more often :) For instance, let's say you wanted to add some randomization to the velocities, but still ensure that your output has the boundaries you want. You could to this by chaining two Midi curves:

• For the AU synth, select Midi Curve A as the only input, and set the desired boundaries here
    • For Midi Curve A, set Midi Curve B as the only input
    • For Midi Curve B, set keyboard as the only input, and use the velocity randomization knob to introduce some variation
  • @bleep said:
    Good!
    Midi Curve is a fine tool, nice to be reminded of using it more often :) For instance, let's say you wanted to add some randomization to the velocities, but still ensure that your output has the boundaries you want. You could to this by chaining two Midi curves:

• For the AU synth, select Midi Curve A as the only input, and set the desired boundaries here
    • For Midi Curve B, set keyboard as the only input, and use the velocity randomization knob to introduce some variation

Ahh! Clever guy!!
    I’ll try that immediately!

• @bleep said:
    Good!

I can’t see why you need a second MC B to do the randomization.
    Why not just use the randomization knob in MC A?

• @CracklePot said:

@bleep said:
    Good!

I can’t see why you need a second MC B to do the randomization.
    Why not just use the randomization knob in MC A?

I was thinking that the randomization knob always makes the input-output mapping into a broad line of possible values, thus potentially breaking the limits at the boundaries? But I could be wrong, I just wrote it from memory without having tried. Anyway, the principle of chaining velocity mappings could come in handy in other settings.

Btw, if you do want to try that randomization, then see how it works to control that randomization amount with some other controller (lfo or hardware knob). Should fit in well with the experiment.

• edited April 2019

I just gave it a few tries. Looks like you can get by with only Midi Curve A in that case, using Out min/max knobs. They seem to limit the output after randomization. However, the graphics is still showing that broad band of possible values, which is a little misleading, perhaps.

• AUM and AB, after their respective updates, work even better together! So glad AB has midi clock sync. Great job to both developers!

• @j_liljedahl
    The shortcut to switch channel/main out metering is great... would you consider switching back to main out on second tap. (or tap-hold or double-tap)

• @recccp said:
    @j_liljedahl
    The shortcut to switch channel/main out metering is great... would you consider switching back to main out on second tap. (or tap-hold or double-tap)

I think it already does? Tap once on a channels input or output "LEDs" to bring it up in the big meter. Tap again to go back to metering the bus or hardware in/out for that node slot.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@recccp said:
    @j_liljedahl

I think it already does? Tap once on a channels input or output "LEDs" to bring it up in the big meter. Tap again to go back to metering the bus or hardware in/out for that node slot.

Yeah, for output section it make sense to be able to switch between ch/bus or ch/hw out, but for the input section switching between ch/bus or ch/hw in (which are effectively the same thing to my understanding) seems redundant. Switching back to main out from any audio source could be useful.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2019

@EyeOhEss said:
    Haven’t had a chance to really dig in to this update yet. Wondering if the new ‘save/load’ track reloads all plugins?

If I have for example KQ Dixie on a track with a bunch of fx and save it as a track preset. And then I tweak the Dixie sound and the Fx settings and save it as another preset. Will switching between the two presets on that channel then be instant? Or do all plugins get totally reloaded as if from scratch even if switching between track presets that have the same plugins?

There are no track presets.
    You can load individual tracks from saved sessions.
    But you can assign midi events (note, cc, pc) to load presets of AU synths/fxs.
    E.g you can assign note C3 to load a set of presets on several AUs at once, and note D3 to load another set of presets. The load time is as fast as plugin can handle it (usually pretty fast), but can take longer for samplers/romplers (like iSymphonic, Beathawk etc).
    Plugins won't get reloaded, only saved settings recalled.

• @recccp said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    Haven’t had a chance to really dig in to this update yet. Wondering if the new ‘save/load’ track reloads all plugins?

If I have for example KQ Dixie on a track with a bunch of fx and save it as a track preset. And then I tweak the Dixie sound and the Fx settings and save it as another preset. Will switching between the two presets on that channel then be instant? Or do all plugins get totally reloaded as if from scratch even if switching between track presets that have the same plugins?

There are no track presets.
    You can load individual tracks from saved sessions.
    But you can assign midi events (note, cc, pc) to load presets of AU synths/fxs.
    E.g you can assign note C3 to load a set of presets on several AUs at once, and note D3 to load another set of presets. The load time is as fast as plugin can handle it (usually pretty fast), but can take longer for samplers/romplers (like iSymphonic, Beathawk etc).
    Plugins won't get reloaded, only saved settings recalled.

In iSymphonics case, it takes a good 45 seconds. It’s so unwieldy and bloated at times.

• Having crash issues today with multiple apps. X app “was invalidated, maybe it crashed.” Any ideas anyone?

• @Zjenji said:
    Having crash issues today with multiple apps. X app “was invalidated, maybe it crashed.” Any ideas anyone?

The joys of IAA... Have you tried rebooting your device?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Zjenji said:
    Having crash issues today with multiple apps. X app “was invalidated, maybe it crashed.” Any ideas anyone?

The joys of IAA... Have you tried rebooting your device?

Apparently few reported same and similar issues, some with AUs...
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32799/invalidated-maybe-it-crashed#latest