Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Update

1111213141517»

Comments

• @Synthi said:
    @j_liljedahl I think there is something buggy with the new update... I lost a complete session today... :(

I always use the recording feature, and the first recording is named after the recorded channel name-tempo- and a number (001-00x), the next recording just increment the number for the name of the archive.

Ok, today the first take was fine but when I stopped recording the second one I got a warning telling:

Could not move recording for channel "MÁSTER"
    "CHAN 4" couldn´t be moved to "session 19-2" because an item with the same name already exists.

And there is no chance, just hitting ok and then the recording is lost...

I`m on 12.4 ipad pro 10.5 2018

Scared! I`m using the recording feauture daily in my workflow!

You should probably email this bug.

• @Synthi said:
    @j_liljedahl I think there is something buggy with the new update... I lost a complete session today... :(

I always use the recording feature, and the first recording is named after the recorded channel name-tempo- and a number (001-00x), the next recording just increment the number for the name of the archive.

Ok, today the first take was fine but when I stopped recording the second one I got a warning telling:

"CHAN 4" couldn´t be moved to "session 19-2" because an item with the same name already exists.

Sorry to hear that! It seems to be a bug when a channel has characters as ÁÅÄÖ in their name. I'll look into it, but in the meanwhile make sure to avoid such letters in channel names.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Synthi said:

Sorry to hear that! It seems to be a bug when a channel has characters as ÁÅÄÖ in their name. I'll look into it, but in the meanwhile make sure to avoid such letters in channel names.

It turned out to be a weird thing where iOS didn't think that the string "MÁSTER" matched a file named "MÁSTER" (WTF??), but I've fixed it now for the next update (coming very soon!).

• Thanks!! Just realized was because the “Á”, Meanwhile I’ll avoid punctuations in letters !

• @Synthi said:
    Thanks!! Just realized was because the “Á”, Meanwhile I’ll avoid punctuations in letters !

Fixed in 1.3.5, available in about an hour or so :)

• Superb fast!! thanks a lot!

• Question about AUM and Bluetooth headphones:
    Is it normal behavior for AUM when in settings you click High Quality (measurements) it disconnects (loses) the headphones, and even though I click high quality off it doesn't find them anymore unless I restart AUM? Headphones are still connected through Bluetooth but AUM doesn't see them anymore. (IPad pro 11 2018 latest OS)

• @Oneskseno said:
    Question about AUM and Bluetooth headphones:
    Is it normal behavior for AUM when in settings you click High Quality (measurements) it disconnects (loses) the headphones, and even though I click high quality off it doesn't find them anymore unless I restart AUM? Headphones are still connected through Bluetooth but AUM doesn't see them anymore. (IPad pro 11 2018 latest OS)

I think that's normal, and it's not something AUM does itself but iOS decides which audio devices are used or not. High quality setting only affects internal mic/speakers, as far as I know, so there's no reason to turn it on for bluetooth headphones.

• Thanks for your answer! :smile: done it twice now on accident, and never on purpose :sweat_smile:

• @j_liljedahl thanks for the latest multi channel timesaver update. That was really responsive to a conversation we had only a few days before. 👍

• @j_liljedahl
    Can the recently added Min. Latency be used to compensate for interface latency if two iPads Link synced one used for midi only (wired to hardware and the other iPad ~constant latency) and the other to mix audio from inputs and AU instruments?

• @j_liljedahl
    One more... :)
    Would it be taxing on CPU to allow multiple clock sources to be enabled?

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    @j_liljedahl
    Can the recently added Min. Latency be used to compensate for interface latency if two iPads Link synced one used for midi only (wired to hardware and the other iPad ~constant latency) and the other to mix audio from inputs and AU instruments?

I'm not sure. It depends on exactly where the latency happens that you want to compensate for.. The min.latency setting adds latency compensation even if there are no effects adding latency to compensate for, if that makes sense. Mainly useful for adding a margin for timestamping outgoing CoreMIDI messages to reduce jitter. But it also means the audio output latency increases, so I guess it could be used to compensate for latency mismatch between devices. But if you have two iPads synced via Ableton Link, they should already be compensated and synced perfectly, at least if the Link enabled app takes into account the current latency (which AUM does).

@0tolerance4silence said:
    @j_liljedahl

Not really, and I'm planning to rewrite the MIDI clock stuff from scratch and make it appear in the main MIDI matrix so you can route it to multiple destinations.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@j_liljedahl

I'm not sure. It depends on exactly where the latency happens that you want to compensate for.. The min.latency setting adds latency compensation even if there are no effects adding latency to compensate for, if that makes sense. Mainly useful for adding a margin for timestamping outgoing CoreMIDI messages to reduce jitter. But it also means the audio output latency increases, so I guess it could be used to compensate for latency mismatch between devices. But if you have two iPads synced via Ableton Link, they should already be compensated and synced perfectly, at least if the Link enabled app takes into account the current latency (which AUM does).

@j_liljedahl

Not really, and I'm planning to rewrite the MIDI clock stuff from scratch and make it appear in the main MIDI matrix so you can route it to multiple destinations.

Thank you!

Just noticed I wrote multiple clock sources, I meant destinations...

The goal would be that I can sync record audio on the audio mixer iPad (with fairly high 512 buffer for bigger cpu headroom) without a need for post editing (sync correction).
    I figured by forcing non existent additional latency to be compensated (min latency) it would magically realign things :)
    After some testing, adding min latency on either side (midi sender / midi receiver, audio mixer) only adds more delay to recording, so I guess what I would need instead is manually adjustable Link offset.

• Hmm... I'll try with transport control instead of Link...

• edited May 2020

Ehh... I see now where my logic failed...
    Latency (actual or fictive) is still latency... latency compensation is realignment of tracks not 'time travel' 🤦‍♂️

Ehh... I see now where my logic failed...
    Latency (actual or fictive) is still latency... latency compensation is realignment of tracks not 'time travel' 🤦‍♂️

I wish my apps could do time travel.. :)

In any case, are you running Ableton Link synced AUM on both devices? If so, their outputs should be aligned. But I guess in this case it's device1 -> device2, so that input latency of device2 is also added. Does it not help if you then enable Recording Latency comp. in AUM Settings? It's supposed to "shave off" the input-latency from recordings.

• edited May 2020

@j_liljedahl
    Yes, Link is enabled on both devices in AUM and Recording Latency comp. is enabled as well. So both ext. audio in and AU instruments are running in sync perfectly aligned. The only 'problem' is this gap

when sync recording audio. Easy to fix mostly, but I'd like to eliminate editing while live looping/jamming.
    Maybe a record start/stop offset against the Link cycle could solve this...
    Btw, record stop tail setting would be a godsend :smile:

Off topic:
    I noticed that AudioShare can no longer extract/convert audio from video files, when video file selected Tools are greyed out.
    Also, recently when setting up my new iPad I chose AudioShare files as storage for all apps that have that option (out of curiosity and convenience - AS is used for archiving and moving files around). Mostly presets I guess... will this stress AS - unknown file formats, maybe complex folder system?

Thank you!

@j_liljedahl
    Yes, Link is enabled on both devices in AUM and Recording Latency comp. is enabled as well. So both ext. audio in and AU instruments are running in sync perfectly aligned. The only 'problem' is this gap

when sync recording audio. Easy to fix mostly, but I'd like to eliminate editing while live looping/jamming.
    Maybe a record start/stop offset against the Link cycle could solve this...
    Btw, record stop tail setting would be a godsend :smile:

Off topic:
    I noticed that AudioShare can no longer extract/convert audio from video files, when video file selected Tools are greyed out.
    Also, recently when setting up my new iPad I chose AudioShare files as storage for all apps that have that option (out of convenience - AS is used for archiving and moving files around). Mostly presets I guess... will this stress AS - unknown file formats, maybe complex folder system?

Thank you!

Out of curiosity, what are you using to sequence the stuff?
    Rozeta X0X for example has the 808 timing simulation that can create gaps here and there even when syncing...

• @Samu
    Various sources (Rozeta, Drambo, pagefell stuff) on one iPad (midi only) wired through iCM to hardware and another iPad that deals with audio (AU instruments, processing). I understand that there are several points in this chain where latency appears. But it's still the best way for me do manipulate things on the fly, also this keeps everything (hard and software) in sync on the audio end. The only problem is that I like to capture loops to further manipulate them and that requires editing to keep everything in sync.

@Samu
    Various sources (Rozeta, Drambo, pagefell stuff) on one iPad (midi only) wired through iCM to hardware and another iPad that deals with audio (AU instruments, processing). I understand that there are several points in this chain where latency appears. But it's still the best way for me do manipulate things on the fly, also this keeps everything (hard and software) in sync on the audio end. The only problem is that I like to capture loops to further manipulate them and that requires editing to keep everything in sync.

That 808 timing in Rozeta caused me a few head-aches when I didn't get 'perfect loops' so that is why I suspect the stuff in the screenshot is sequenced by Rozeta XOX.

• @Samu said:

@Samu

That 808 timing in Rozeta caused me a few head-aches when I didn't get 'perfect loops' so that is why I suspect the stuff in the screenshot is sequenced by Rozeta XOX.

Actually I think it was... :)
    But that's the first thing I reach for when using XOX.