Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Update

Comments

• I want an XY pad that will let me assign params from different AUs. It could even support multiple cursors Kaos style in order to control several pairs of params.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@mojozart said:
    I want an XY pad that will let me assign params from different AUs. It could even support multiple cursors Kaos style in order to control several pairs of params.

Rozeta XY. Just midi learn the CCs to whatever AU parameters you want.

• edited June 2019

a midi event focus function per audio channel would be cool. like if every channel has the same au but a different instance so if you mapped cc’s to the au it would respond to whatever track you focused on.

i mapped my lcxl to aum with the idea of making 4 bus tracks all with a handful of au’s in them. duplicating the one track fully loaded was easy, doing it 4 times sucked.

if this wasnt possible if you could save tracks or buses like templates with the au’s and settings fully loaded. that would be just as good

• @LeonLeroy said:
    if this wasnt possible if you could save tracks or buses like templates with the au’s and settings fully loaded. that would be just as good

You can save tracks or busses like templates and recall them. Hit the + Button like you do to add a track, but select Import. Pick a session file and then the channels you want to import.

• thank you!

• @wim aha. I forgot there was a Rozeta XY. Having to assign MIDI CC as an intermediary is something AUM itself could bypass, and multiple cursors Kaos style would conserve space, but Rozeta XY should not be overlooked. (Just remember to assign Rozeta XY as a MIDI Ctrl source.) I'm not able to learn a MIDI CC from XY, however, because AUM's Learn dialog vanishes before I can manipulate the XY pad. Seems to be some modalness. (Same issue in apeMatrix where the MIDI Learn dialog is modal.)

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@mojozart said:
    @wim aha. I forgot there was a Rozeta XY. Having to assign MIDI CC as an intermediary is something AUM itself could bypass, and multiple cursors Kaos style would conserve space, but Rozeta XY should not be overlooked. (Just remember to assign Rozeta XY as a MIDI Ctrl source.) I'm not able to learn a MIDI CC from XY, however, because AUM's Learn dialog vanishes before I can manipulate the XY pad. Seems to be some modalness. (Same issue in apeMatrix where the MIDI Learn dialog is modal.)

You can manually set the cc. You don’t have to learn it. It would be difficult to get only one axis anyway.

• @reasOne said:
    I hope AUM gets a new keyboard someday!
    I prefer to use it cuz I love how it's built in to the app, makes it just much more convenient, accessible and better on tha workflow... But would love to see scales, resize keys, mpe expression maybe, and maybe even a way to side screen it!

Why not using 3rd party one? I know it's not so convenient but it sounds like a feature bloat to me to add all of these features when it can be substituted by (already numerous) plugins. Let AUM focus on things that are impossible to substitute by 3rd parties.

And BTW, I would rather see fixes for some weird behaviour of AUM keyboard: like when you open it from AU and the button gets highlighted, I would expect that second tap would close it. Also it's currently not clear which AU you are controlling with currently opened keyboard, it's sometimes quite confusing...

• edited June 2019

Regarding requested controller improvements in AUM, such as XY pad and keyboard enhancements, an AU host such as AUM is able to leverage its position in a way that 3rd party controllers cannot. Working with a 3rd party controller requires establishing a unique MIDI CC assignment, even though the AU provides named parameters. The easiest way to assign these MIDI CC would be to learn them from the controller, but this is not possible (yet) in AUM. AUM's Learn UI vanishes before the controller can be manipulated.

@wim pointed out that, besides, it's difficult to learn one isolated parameter from an XY pad. This is another reason for AUM to provide this controller; then the X&Y could be assigned directly to named AU parameters. (OTOH, if XY pads provided a mode to isolate X or Y then learning would be easier - once it were possible in AUM.)

• @skrat said:

@reasOne said:
    I prefer to use it cuz I love how it's built in to the app, makes it just much more convenient, accessible and better on tha workflow... But would love to see scales, resize keys, mpe expression maybe, and maybe even a way to side screen it!

Why not using 3rd party one? I know it's not so convenient but it sounds like a feature bloat to me to add all of these features when it can be substituted by (already numerous) plugins. Let AUM focus on things that are impossible to substitute by 3rd parties.

And BTW, I would rather see fixes for some weird behaviour of AUM keyboard: like when you open it from AU and the button gets highlighted, I would expect that second tap would close it.

That's a misunderstanding of what the button do. What it does is it connects the built-in keyboard to that AU, and only that AU. ("keyboard solo"?) If the keyboard is not already visible, it also shows it.

To show/hide the keyboard, use the toggle in the bottom left of the screen.

Also it's currently not clear which AU you are controlling with currently opened keyboard, it's sometimes quite confusing...

Because the keyboard is not necessarily controlling one AU. It might be several, and it can send to any combination of MIDI destinations. AU's currently connected to the keyboard has their keyboard-button in their titlebar yellow, however. So you can see if the AU is controlled by the keyboard or not.

• @j_liljedahl
    Any chance of imported tracks preserving saved routings when imported in groups...?
    like between midi track and audio/synth track, or even between various midi gen/fx on the same track.

• @recccp said:
    @j_liljedahl
    Any chance of imported tracks preserving saved routings when imported in groups...?
    like between midi track and audio/synth track, or even between various midi gen/fx on the same track.

It's a bit tricky because the MIDI routings are saved separately from the channels in the project file, so it needs some magic to identify the correct MIDI endpoints, but I think it's doable and it's already on my TODO :)

• @skrat said:

@reasOne said:

And BTW, I would rather see fixes for some weird behaviour of AUM keyboard: like when you open it from AU and the button gets highlighted, I would expect that second tap would close it. Also it's currently not clear which AU you are controlling with currently opened keyboard, it's sometimes quite confusing...

Eh I like the idea of it being AUM native, AUM is the greatest.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@skrat said:

@reasOne said:

And BTW, I would rather see fixes for some weird behaviour of AUM keyboard: like when you open it from AU and the button gets highlighted, I would expect that second tap would close it.

That's a misunderstanding of what the button do. What it does is it connects the built-in keyboard to that AU, and only that AU. ("keyboard solo"?) If the keyboard is not already visible, it also shows it.

Oh, sorry for calling this bug, now I see what was the purpose, although I still find it confusing. Maybe it's because of the way how I often use AUM (and because I rarely use built in keyboard, but often accidentally touch the keyboard icon):

• I often double tap to maximise the current window as I want to make use of the whole screen real estate
    • If the keyboard was shown, the maximised window overlaps the "hide" button. Then I often realise I don't need the keyboard, rather to use it's the space for the AU
    • So I need to minimise / close the AU window, hide the keyboard and maximise / open the AU window again

This procedure is quite frustrating and happens quite often to me. A solution would to be to find a way, how to hide the keyboard, even when the AU window is maximised over the hide button.

Also it's currently not clear which AU you are controlling with currently opened keyboard, it's sometimes quite confusing...

Because the keyboard is not necessarily controlling one AU. It might be several, and it can send to any combination of MIDI destinations. AU's currently connected to the keyboard has their keyboard-button in their titlebar yellow, however. So you can see if the AU is controlled by the keyboard or not.

Yes, but this requires opening the AU window and look at the title bar if it's currently closed, doesn't it?
    Not saying it's a big deal, only it would be more transparent...

• @skrat said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@skrat said:

@reasOne said:

Oh, sorry for calling this bug, now I see what was the purpose, although I still find it confusing. Maybe it's because of the way how I often use AUM (and because I rarely use built in keyboard, but often accidentally touch the keyboard icon):

• I often double tap to maximise the current window as I want to make use of the whole screen real estate
    • If the keyboard was shown, the maximised window overlaps the "hide" button. Then I often realise I don't need the keyboard, rather to use it's the space for the AU
    • So I need to minimise / close the AU window, hide the keyboard and maximise / open the AU window again

This procedure is quite frustrating and happens quite often to me. A solution would to be to find a way, how to hide the keyboard, even when the AU window is maximised over the hide button.

Yes, but this requires opening the AU window and look at the title bar if it's currently closed, doesn't it?

• edited June 2019

I agree though that the hide button is usually hidden, which is inconvenient...
    But in AUM it's easy enough to pull the plugin slightly to the right to reveal it

• @recccp said:
    I agree though that the hide button is usually hidden, which is inconvenient...
    But in AUM it's easy enough to pull the plugin slightly to the right to reveal it

Thanks, didn't know the trick with double tap to assign, although I don't use the keyboard that much to make use of it, but I like this kind of shortcuts ;)

Maybe swiping down the keyboard could hide it?

• @j_liljedahl do you think you'll consider some keyboard updates for expression, scales, or even pads?

• @reasOne said:

Embrace the modular plugging. There are just too many other potential updates for AUM that fit more with its vision as a live mixer. Besides, good and cheap alternatives already exist.

Sure, your workflow and convenience could be slightly improved, but it is so easy to ask for it and quite a bit of work to implement and maintain. Not intending to target you specifically, @reasOne, and the request is easily understood, but it is a thing I think we see too often in this forum; asking indie developers to spend time on re-implementing stuff which is already there, only for the convenience of that "holy" workflow which is so often emphasized.

• @skrat said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@skrat said:

@reasOne said:

I agree that there are some potential improvements to be made regarding AU plugin window management in AUM, and I have some ideas for that.

If the keyboard is open and obscuring your AU window, just tap once on the AU window title and it should bring itself to foreground, leaving the keyboard "hidden" behind it.

• @bleep said:

@reasOne said:

Embrace the modular plugging. There are just too many other potential updates for AUM that fit more with its vision as a live mixer. Besides, good and cheap alternatives already exist.

Sure, your workflow and convenience could be slightly improved, but it is so easy to ask for it and quite a bit of work to implement and maintain. Not intending to target you specifically, @reasOne, and the request is easily understood, but it is a thing I think we see too often in this forum; asking indie developers to spend time on re-implementing stuff which is already there, only for the convenience of that "holy" workflow which is so often emphasized.

Very good points. As you can probably imagine, I do get a lot of feature requests for AUM, and it's quite a job just to manage the TODO lists and trying to prioritize and decide what's an actual good idea to implement in the long run. As a developer, I want to avoid "feature creep" since it easily leads to a complex maintenance nightmare as well as a bad user experience. There's also often many ways to design/implement a specific idea, so I try not to add stuff too quickly without giving them a lot of thought, hoping to find the "best" way to do it.

• @skrat said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@skrat said:

@reasOne said:

+1 - the keyboard not getting out of the way gracefully is definitely something that could be ‘fixed’ or ‘made better’, in my view, for the reasons you outline above.

• @j_liljedahl,I wouldn't consider scale mode on the keyboard to be feature creep but it's cool...i get it.. It's not gonna push me away from AUM by any stretch but the other options really require a lot of extra steps and bouncing around,... If I could lock kb-1 into the scrwen to replace the native keys I would, but unfortunately it jumps all over the place when I attempt to use it, I have to use it on my iPhone or iPad mini via Bluetooth to keep it outta the way

• @j_liljedahl said:
    If the keyboard is open and obscuring your AU window, just tap once on the AU window title and it should bring itself to foreground, leaving the keyboard "hidden" behind it.

If it would be easy (and possible) to implement, being able to tap anywhere on a window, or at least on or near any border, to bring it to the foreground would be a vast improvement. Often the title of a window is obscured or hard to find.

• Maybe it’s time for an AudioShare 2... something with more advanced clip editing.

• Haven’t had a single crash in two months of use!

• @reasOne said:
    @j_liljedahl,I wouldn't consider scale mode on the keyboard to be feature creep but it's cool...i get it.. It's not gonna push me away from AUM by any stretch but the other options really require a lot of extra steps and bouncing around,... If I could lock kb-1 into the scrwen to replace the native keys I would, but unfortunately it jumps all over the place when I attempt to use it, I have to use it on my iPhone or iPad mini via Bluetooth to keep it outta the way

yeah, keyboard with scales, MPE and a easier way to move up/down the octave (minimoog ios does up/down octave great) would be a great improvement to AUM. Also I find it difficult to change BPM due to the AU windows covering the graphic, not sure of how best to overcome that?

• @[Deleted User] said:

@reasOne said:
    @j_liljedahl,I wouldn't consider scale mode on the keyboard to be feature creep but it's cool...i get it.. It's not gonna push me away from AUM by any stretch but the other options really require a lot of extra steps and bouncing around,... If I could lock kb-1 into the scrwen to replace the native keys I would, but unfortunately it jumps all over the place when I attempt to use it, I have to use it on my iPhone or iPad mini via Bluetooth to keep it outta the way

yeah, keyboard with scales, MPE and a easier way to move up/down the octave (minimoog ios does up/down octave great) would be a great improvement to AUM. Also I find it difficult to change BPM due to the AU windows covering the graphic, not sure of how best to overcome that?

Xequence AU Keys is a worthy addition to AUM. Its fully configurable, easy to change octaves, and has really cool options for cc modulations, including by sliding up and down the keys like Animoog, and even with motion detection.

• @wim said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@reasOne said:

Xequence AU Keys is a worthy addition to AUM. Its fully configurable, easy to change octaves, and has really cool options for cc modulations, including by sliding up and down the keys like Animoog, and even with motion detection.

Thank man for the suggestion 🙂, i think i would prefer it built into AUM, also if it was upgraded to MPE that would be awesome. I didn't get on with Xequence in the past so I never checked out the AU keys.