Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arturia MicroFreak

Comments

• @echoopera said:
    Had some fun today at lunch with the MicroFreak and Modstep fed into AUM and a bunch of fx:

Very cool! I just chilled and listened to that. Is that an iOS-based editor on the iPad?

• @Liquidmantis said:

@echoopera said:
    Had some fun today at lunch with the MicroFreak and Modstep fed into AUM and a bunch of fx:

Very cool! I just chilled and listened to that. Is that an iOS-based editor on the iPad?

Many thanks. Yeah it’s an older app by the name of Modstep.

• @echoopera said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@echoopera said:

Many thanks. Yeah it’s an older app by the name of Modstep.

Oh, I thought it was a Microfreak editor.

Funnily enough, right after my comment I switched tabs and found an old tab I had waiting for attention and watched this:

time to dig around your channel...

• Some more lost in the ether grooves for everyone 🙏🏼💕

• Does anyone have any experience connecting the Microfreak via a Bluetooth MIDI adaptor? I can’t find anything that confirms whether using the Yamaha Bt-01, for example, would work with the Microfreak. Would love to use as a controller with my iPad.

Thanks!

• edited December 2019

I’m selling mine, if anyone is interested. I’m in Germany. Will part-swap for digitone.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I’m selling mine, if anyone is interested. I’m in Germany. Will part-swap for digitone.

I'm might be interested. BTW why are you selling, I.e. what's the DT draw as opposed to MF?
    Let's go DM

• edited December 2019

@papertiger said:
    Does anyone have any experience connecting the Microfreak via a Bluetooth MIDI adaptor? I can’t find anything that confirms whether using the Yamaha Bt-01, for example, would work with the Microfreak. Would love to use as a controller with my iPad.

Thanks!

Just tried with the little MF powered over USB and the BT-01, playing an iPad synth and it works.
    I didn't really expect that because I remember that someone wrote it wouldn't (due to 3.3V vs 5V, although MIDI doesn't really care as long as the 20mA current loop can be sustained).

Edit: The Quicco mi.1 works too.

• @rs2000 said:

@papertiger said:
    Does anyone have any experience connecting the Microfreak via a Bluetooth MIDI adaptor? I can’t find anything that confirms whether using the Yamaha Bt-01, for example, would work with the Microfreak. Would love to use as a controller with my iPad.

Thanks!

Just tried with the little MF powered over USB and the BT-01, playing an iPad synth and it works.
    I didn't really expect that because I remember that someone wrote it wouldn't (due to 3.3V vs 5V, although MIDI doesn't really care as long as the 20mA current loop can be sustained).

Thanks, @rs2000 ! I might order one to check it out. I really appreciate you taking the time to test it!

• @papertiger said:

@rs2000 said:

@papertiger said:

Thanks!

Thanks, @rs2000 ! I might order one to check it out. I really appreciate you taking the time to test it!

You're welcome! And I wanted to know that myself too ;)

• does the Microfreak have a note spread function for it's chord oscillator to help it sound more natural?

• @echoopera this last one is microbrute ? really nice .. it's really powerfull synth, capable of vast range of sounds ..

btw. only thing i a little bit not like on this track is that whole sound is shifted a bit to the left - first i though something is broken with my right speaker :)))

• @kobamoto said:
    does the Microfreak have a note spread function for it's chord oscillator to help it sound more natural?

There's plenty of chord inversion options available to spread out the notes.
    (You could try the free Spectrum app and it's 'chord' oscillator to get a feel of what the Freak can do).

• @Samu said:

@kobamoto said:
    does the Microfreak have a note spread function for it's chord oscillator to help it sound more natural?

There's plenty of chord inversion options available to spread out the notes.
    (You could try the free Spectrum app and it's 'chord' oscillator to get a feel of what the Freak can do).

does that mean nothing onboard and what is the spectrum app I can't seem to find it, not a deal breaker by any means but maybe it's something they can address... my feature ocd itches when features feel unfinished.

• @kobamoto said:

does that mean nothing onboard and what is the spectrum app I can't seem to find it, not a deal breaker by any means but maybe it's something they can address... my feature ocd itches when features feel unfinished.

In Spectrum App the 'Harmonics' knob sets the chord type and 'Timbre' knob handles the inversion, Morph changes the waveform. (That is when using 'Chord' as the 'Algorithm'.

On the Micro Freak 'Wave' sets the chord type and 'Timbre' handles the inversion and 'Shape' sets the waveform when 'Chord'i used as the Wave/Oscillator.

There is no regular 'chord memory'. But that can be handled using other apps to trigger the sounds.

• @Samu said:

@kobamoto said:

In Spectrum App the 'Harmonics' knob sets the chord type and 'Timbre' knob handles the inversion, Morph changes the waveform. (That is when using 'Chord' as the 'Algorithm'.

On the Micro Freak 'Wave' sets the chord type and 'Timbre' handles the inversion and 'Shape' sets the waveform when 'Chord'i used as the Wave/Oscillator.

There is no regular 'chord memory'. But that can be handled using other apps to trigger the sounds.

I see, thanks for that Samu, btw did you keep your keyboard on or did you remove it?

• @kobamoto said:

I see, thanks for that Samu, btw did you keep your keyboard on or did you remove it?

I saw no reason to remove the keyboard and just like with the nanoKey Studio I've grown to like the expressive 'keys/surface' on the MicroFreak :)

• for us modular dudes the touch surface is incredible as a CV expression source.

• Santa was kind enough to drop off a MIcrofreak for me this xmas. I have to say, I'm impressed, more so than I even thought I might be based on other reviews. This is a really unique, great sounding instrument. Crazy it's only $300 in fact.

I love the sequencer and the randomization options via the touchstrip, it's surisingly self contained if you want it to be. Shame there's no battery option really.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    for us modular dudes the touch surface is incredible as a CV expression source.

That's very true, something like a simple MPE controller without the wobbly feel 🥴😄

• @Tarekith said: it's surisingly self contained if you want it to be. Shame there's no battery option really.

You can use any old USB power bank to power it. The keys respond a little differently though.

• Yeah, I'm going to have to invest in a power bank soon I think. Need something for the mc707 as well.

• Woohoo version 2 of firmware just dropped:

• Oh, sweet! I grabbed one of these over the Christmas holiday in no small part due to your videos, @echoopera. Time to see what the update brings.

• @Liquidmantis said:
    Oh, sweet! I grabbed one of these over the Christmas holiday in no small part due to your videos, @echoopera. Time to see what the update brings.

Cool. Loving the scale modes and 1 finger chord feature

• thanks, man! B)

@echoopera said:
    Woohoo version 2 of firmware just dropped:

• Great, some useful things added :)

• Thanks to let us know ! Really cool update ! :)

• edited January 2020

Maybe someone can help me here.
    I updated firmware to 2.0 but I would like to keep the version 1.2 presets plus I have about 30 I've made... Is it possible to add the new 64 presets from version 2.0 to my current list? All I seem to be able to do is add the 2.0 presets to the MicroFreak, but that erases all of the v. 1.2 and my custom ones. I just want to add the 2.0 presets to my existing list on the device.
    I have backed up my custom presets along with the 1.2 in a separate playlist on my PC, but I feel like I'm missing something. I just want to add the new ones to my current list as this still doesn't exceed the allotted 265.
    Any help would be ace guys and gals