Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arturia MicroFreak

Comments

• @cuezaireekaa said:
    Maybe someone can help me here.
    I updated firmware to 2.0 but I would like to keep the version 1.2 presets plus I have about 30 I've made... Is it possible to add the new 64 presets from version 2.0 to my current list? All I seem to be able to do is add the 2.0 presets to the MicroFreak, but that erases all of the v. 1.2 and my custom ones. I just want to add the 2.0 presets to my existing list on the device.
    I have backed up my custom presets along with the 1.2 in a separate playlist on my PC, but I feel like I'm missing something. I just want to add the new ones to my current list as this still doesn't exceed the allotted 265.
    Any help would be ace guys and gals

Select the new presets and drag it to the slot you want to be the "start" of all the new presets. So if you select all 64 of them and drag that selection to position 10 in the preset list you'll get the new ones from 10->73.

At least that worked for me...

• @echoopera said:
    Cool. Loving the scale modes and 1 finger chord feature

How do you use the 1 finger chord feature with a good result?
    Does it "quantize" to scale, or just keep the intervals across the whole keyboard? I find many "chord modes" doing the latter, and that so limited... At least I haven't figured out how to make use of them for real progressions.

• Thank you sirs

• @cuezaireekaa said:
    Thank you sirs

Some of the new presets are really neat btw.
    I'd say significantly more useable than the "show-off-freakishness" patches in 1.0/1.1. Some really nice "analogish" basses as well.

• The new presets ARE super good ! I was just gonna leave the 64 and create all new patches. But I’m glad I can drag and drop from my customs over to this update. 😛👍

• Hello everybody 😊
    If anyone is interested in tonight’s Live Stream on my channel I will going through all the new MicroFreak features.
    I’ll also probably drive it through some iPad effects too, should be fun.
    I stream at 8.00pm GMT (20.00 UK Time)

• It seems that the scales mode doesn't work with midi out which is disappointing :neutral:

• Didn't realise there's also some nice Microfreak patches on the Arturia website https://www.arturia.com/community/presets

• anybody using this with animoog?
    polyphonic glide possible?

• Wait....whaaaat?

• Thanks @Peblin, that's outstanding news 😍

• It's a very nice update and the mic input was a total surprise! :D
    (My Røde SmartLav+ is a perfect match for the Freak).

The new factory patches are not updated/installed by default so I installed the 2.1 patches using the Arturia Midi Control Center to get the vocoder presets in place. Thankfully the freak has a hold button which makes tweaking vocoder patches a bit easier.

'The Freak' will keep me busy especially since I just recently got the NTS-1 as well which I'm really enjoying...

• Wow, very cool. I just need to keep reminding myself I don’t need any hardware synths right now.

• @panthera said:
    anybody using this with animoog?

Great question.

I'm curious too. If I use the M-F as a midi controller, the "multi-touch midi expression" will also works with iOS synth and not just with the internal sounds of the M-F (pressure, stripe,etc)?

• It works very well with the few synths that support polyphonic aftertouch. Moog, Ppg and Kai Aras come to mind. For most other synths you will have to translate polyAT to some cc or channelAT. Here is a list of compatible apps: https://xkeyair.com/xkey-compatible-apps/?term=24&orderby=date&order=ASC

• @Montreal_Music said:

@panthera said:

Great question.

I'm curious too. If I use the M-F as a midi controller, the "multi-touch midi expression" will also works with iOS synth and not just with the internal sounds of the M-F (pressure, stripe,etc)?

C..t.n.. supports that, right?

• @oat_phipps said:
    I don't know about those keys. I think maybe I'm about synthed out.

I like them.

I find that I got used to them quick. I didn't think I would......

• I had this microfreak for about six months. I could not find any good use for it. I have owned and still own nearly every coveted piece of hardware out Vintage and new. Compared to the thousands of soft synth both desktop and iOS that it really doesn't bring anything to the table. Over the last few years I have begun to phase out hardware synths and Analog or digital effects processers. After much comparison and spending tons of money on synths and hardware I find most to be lacking in many ways compared to software these days. Also I can get more done faster in the box. Rather than spending tons time creating elaborate sets ups that don't yield much in comparison and yes IMO at this point in time software has matched or surpassed ANY hardware. Including SSL, NEVE, MOOG and more.

• @rs2000 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@panthera said:

Great question.

C..t.n.. supports that, right?

Yes

• @X3LA said:
    I had this microfreak for about six months. I could not find any good use for it. I have owned and still own nearly every coveted piece of hardware out Vintage and new. Compared to the thousands of soft synth both desktop and iOS that it really doesn't bring anything to the table. Over the last few years I have begun to phase out hardware synths and Analog or digital effects processers. After much comparison and spending tons of money on synths and hardware I find most to be lacking in many ways compared to software these days. Also I can get more done faster in the box. Rather than spending tons time creating elaborate sets ups that don't yield much in comparison and yes IMO at this point in time software has matched or surpassed ANY hardware. Including SSL, NEVE, MOOG and more.

Unless one using FX, MF has Very weak low. Good for mid and high. Also sounds are more freaky and reminds me old age Nintendo 8 bit sounds. My opinion is that instead of creating harmonic sound, it just create noise when may be helped for dance music.

• New Cool Firmware Update for the MicroFreak :)

• Yeah, that update looks sweet. Almost want one now.

• edited January 2021

Somehow the keyboard is not very reliable for me... had one device where I had notes "getting stuck", sent that in and now I have another device where sometimes it will not recognize a finger, and will only recognize it when I lift the finger and put it down again... I am not sure but I think this might also be caused by guitar player's calluses...

So now I'm constantly on the lookout for problems to judge if the keyboard is damaged and i keep thinking, should I send it back?, are all microfreaks like that?, would a 3rd device have the same problems?... kind of sucked the joy out of playing it a little bit...

• edited January 2021

@TheSoundKid said:
    Unless one using FX, MF has Very weak low. Good for mid and high. Also sounds are more freaky and reminds me old age Nintendo 8 bit sounds. My opinion is that instead of creating harmonic sound, it just create noise when may be helped for dance music.

Someone somewhere suggested a few ideas, like you could use the resonant highpass filter with a low frequency to help with low end. unfortunately I cant remember the rest... maybe the LFO or CE could also help, they can go to 100Hz, no?

• @dobbs said:
    Somehow the keyboard is not very reliable for me... had one device where I had notes "getting stuck", sent that in and now I have another device where sometimes it will not recognize a finger, and will only recognize it when I lift the finger and put it down again... I am not sure but I think this might also be caused by guitar player's calluses...

Do you have very 'dry' fingers?

I suffer from this at times and need to use loads of lotion :)

Dry fingers will not conduct enough electricity for the device to react so hand cream is your best friend in those cases to moisten the fingers.

Are you powering the device using USB or the supplied power adapter?
    Some say it works better with power adapter but I've not noticed any difference due to some grounding 'things'.

Most of the time I just sequence / trigger it externally once I'm done tweaking a patch.

Cheers!

• edited January 2021

no I do not have very dry fingers, I'd rather have guessed they were too wet and that might have caused the latching notes on the 1st device. but turned out it really had a faulty keyboard. with the 1st one I made all kinds of experiments with the power source to see if that's the cause, different power blocks, different outlets, usb power adapter, usb powerbank,... With the new device I do not have massive problems. nothing like what the people with grounding issues described (and I use it with the power adapter.). I feel it's really mostly the left hand that gets "dead keys" sometimes, that's why I thought maybe guitar calluses on the fingertips might be a problem...

One of the main reasons I got the freak is to play slow ambient-style patches and make use of the expressiveness that's why I think i'll play it "live" more often than sequenced ;)

• @dobbs said:

One of the main reasons I got the freak is to play slow ambient-style patches and make use of the expressiveness that's why I think i'll play it "live" more often than sequenced ;)

Ok, at some point I thought mine was 'faulty' and then I realized some of the patches used 'scales' which kill the black keys completely (ie. they don't trigger any notes but still send 'velocity' which I consider to be a bug).

When my fingers are dry I just blow on them a bit and things work good again.
    Another option I use at time is another keyboard and just route midi to the Freak.

But as you mentioned part of the Freaks character comes to life with the polyphonic aftertouch.

Even with the 'glitches' the MicroFreak is still pretty unique and fun to mess with :)

• edited January 2021

yes it definitely is fun and it's my first piece of hardware, together with the volca drum and fm :) went on a little ebay rampage after christmas :D

Ok, at some point I thought mine was 'faulty' and then I realized some of the patches used 'scales' which kill the black keys completely (ie. they don't trigger any notes but still send 'velocity' which I consider to be a bug).

no in my case that's not it. It's like it doesn't recognize the first touch and then it ignores the aftertouch signal because it "missed" the note-on. then I press the same key again and it works. maybe I just have to hit the keys harder. but most of the time they react to the slightest touch.

sometimes I wish they had also chosen a digital filter, then it would be truly polyphonic, without even having to raise the price. but I guess they had to add something analog for marketing reasons. Because so many people have digital=bad engraved into their brain...

I also just bought a DIY soldering kit for a resonant HP/LP/BP filter in the style of a guitar pedal. And a used wah for a few bucks. filters for everyone! :D (now that I think of it I also still have an autowah/envelope filter ledal, I wonder how that sounds with a synth... or drums... maybe drums with a really long decay might give interesting results :D

• @dobbs said:

maybe I just have to hit the keys harder. but most of the time they react to the slightest touch.

It might come as a 'shock' but there is no 'velocity' so hitting harder won't help!

The 'velocity' and 'aftertouch' is based on how large area of the key you cover with your finger :D

• edited January 2021

yes i know but hitting harder = bigger surface area ;) and I guess there must be some kind of [pressure+how humid is the finger] conductivity deadzone and maybe when the circumstances arent perfect, I am below that cutoff... idk, it's just a theory

my 2nd theory that this device is alao faulty and that's why I could get it for a reduced price as b-stock... is that the right word? reduced price because someone sent it back within the 14 days... both devices were 2nd hand, so to say. but this time it's thomann so at least I have OK customer service.