Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Autony Unreliable Sequence Generator from Pagefell.

Comments

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@skiphunt said:

@pagefall said:
    :-)

ha ha - yeah not winning on the knobs front am I?

I don’t have your app yet. It’s on my list though. :)

I’m not as picky about the knobs control as obviously others seem to be. But, I think this developer handled the issue best with a settings panel that gives you 3 different choices of how the knobs can be turned.

SynthDrum Kick by DesignByPaul
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/synthdrum-kick/id1362619238?mt=8

Sure. But often resorting to adding a setting means you couldn't solve it right in the first place, and can lead to a mess in the end if that continues - especially in mobile. :) (I'm a UX designer and user researcher by day... usually).

Again, I love the functionality and have no regrets on the purchase! This is just the usual "it could be better if..." stuff, none of the "omg i hate ur appz" going on here.

I don’t agree. The knob turn question seems to be split. Some prefer vertical and some horizontal. The example I gave allows the user to set to their own preference. It’s not a UX failure.

I personally prefer vertical, but I know others on this forum prefer horizontal.

• I am loving this app as well.
    The knobs issue doesn’t matter much to me either.

Like, I am letting Autony do it’s thing already.
    A couple value increments shifting when trying to set Quantity, Reliabilty or Gate Length doesn’t seem to make much difference for me.

Sequence length, scale, and transpose have me making multiple attempts to nail the setting down. Sometimes it works fine, often I have to try a few times.

Clock, chord , and root don’t seem to be a problem. Those usually take one try to get the right setting.

The sequences that Autony produces are so good that it minimizes any frustrations felt from the knob issue.

• @skiphunt said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

@skiphunt said:

@pagefall said:
    :-)

ha ha - yeah not winning on the knobs front am I?

I don’t have your app yet. It’s on my list though. :)

I’m not as picky about the knobs control as obviously others seem to be. But, I think this developer handled the issue best with a settings panel that gives you 3 different choices of how the knobs can be turned.

SynthDrum Kick by DesignByPaul
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/synthdrum-kick/id1362619238?mt=8

Sure. But often resorting to adding a setting means you couldn't solve it right in the first place, and can lead to a mess in the end if that continues - especially in mobile. :) (I'm a UX designer and user researcher by day... usually).

Again, I love the functionality and have no regrets on the purchase! This is just the usual "it could be better if..." stuff, none of the "omg i hate ur appz" going on here.

I don’t agree. The knob turn question seems to be split. Some prefer vertical and some horizontal. The example I gave allows the user to set to their own preference. It’s not a UX failure.

I personally prefer vertical, but I know others on this forum prefer horizontal.

It’s not an issue of horizontal vs. horizontal. It’s a matter of how the knobs respond to that movement. @wim stated it perfectly earlier in the thread.

• I want both this AND riffer. Only getting one first. For those who have both, which is getting heavier use after the new app smell wears off?

• @skiphunt said:
    I want both this AND riffer. Only getting one first. For those who have both, which is getting heavier use after the new app smell wears off?

I have been using Autony way more.
    But, I may need to go back to Riffer to refresh my memory of the experience.
    Autony is just so dang good.

• @CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:
    I want both this AND riffer. Only getting one first. For those who have both, which is getting heavier use after the new app smell wears off?

Thanks. I like that this appears to be an engaged dev too.

Also really like that new generative app in beta, PolyPhase. Have you tried it yet?

• @skiphunt said:

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

Thanks. I like that this appears to be an engaged dev too.

Also really like that new generative app in beta, PolyPhase. Have you tried it yet?

I played with it for about 20 minutes when I first got it. I was blown away.
    Even backed the claim that it ‘rivals’ Fugue Machine. :D
    I need to spend more time digging into PolyPhase. Just the brief tour of what it offers was super exciting.

• I've just realised that I test in a different way than I use the app when I make music.... which isn't ideal. Where I have the iPad when I'm coding is a different place from where I plug it into the sound card so it goes through my sound system and hence I even end up using a different hand to control it!

Anyway - have had a tweak and submitted 1.22 - this isn't the be all and end all - I've also just been playing with Thor and yes - that is a really nice way to do knobs - I may well "borrow" that idea in a future update but for the time being I've changed the scaling values so it's a bit less 'tweaky' and I've tried to remove the irritating "change the value just as you lift your finger" thing,- if you are sloppy with your finger it does still do it a bit, but it is better I think. Anyway feel free to keep feeding back - I've got plans for a handful of apps based on this codebase, (although I'm also exploring desktop versions which look like they will be JUCE based) so I want to get it right....

• edited December 2018

The latest version had quite good knob behaviour. Personally, I would prefer the up/down to be for larger adjustments and the left/right for fine-grained adjustments. Perhaps a setting could switch this for more horizontally oriented guys.

@pagefall said:
    I've tried to remove the irritating "change the value just as you lift your finger" thing,- if you are sloppy with your finger it does still do it a bit, but it is better I think.

Even @brambos apps have this sometimes annoying behaviour (I just tested the fixed velocity slider in Rozeta scaler, for example), so don´t feel too bad if you don´t nail it completely :smile:

• I'm seeing a couple problems on 1.21.
    1. Visualizer is running one note ahead of sounds.
    2. If gate length is set greater than 100, note ons are skipped when the same note repeats 2 or more times in a row.

• @Newstech said:
    I'm seeing a couple problems on 1.21.
    1. Visualizer is running one note ahead of sounds.
    2. If gate length is set greater than 100, note ons are skipped when the same note repeats 2 or more times in a row.

ugh timing! I've just submitted a bug fix update! :-)

I'll look tomorrow - off by one errors seem to be my speciality

I would note though that the graphics are (obviously) lower CPU priority than the notes during playback and if your iPad/iphone is loaded they can get 'lagged' a bit

For the note on's just to check - is your gate length close to or greater than 100%? again you will see something like you describe in that case?

• @pagefall Abigail Macfarland is you?

• @pagefall said:
    I would note though that the graphics are (obviously) lower CPU priority than the notes during playback and if your iPad/iphone is loaded they can get 'lagged' a bit

For the note on's just to check - is your gate length close to or greater than 100%? again you will see something like you describe in that case?

I don't think it's just lagging. It looks like each time the visualizer moves forward the synth I'm using plays the previous note.

And yes, I'm talking about the gate length being > 100. It seems to me the note should retrigger. Imagine piano notes being played and held. I guess if it's a constant tone then the note not being restarted isn't really noticeable.

• No, wait! I'm not seeing the problem with repeated notes now after a restart. I swear I saw it before but there may have been some problem with hosts clashing. Now in AUM and it seems OK. I'm so sorry. Sounds are still lagging the visualizer.

• @skiphunt said:

Riffer is the most musical generative app I've used on iOS so far for creating, well, riffs. Go figure. It really does a bang up job of creating a repeating riff to build around. Autony is better for ambient and more abstract compositional elements. Two cents.

• edited December 2018

@skiphunt said:
    @pagefall Abigail Macfarland is you?

Pagefall is a company between Abigail (my partner) & myself. We’re seeing how it goes before setting the legal company up so we have the app(s) under her name for the moment.

It’s mostly me (mark) posting here and doing support

• . Autony is better for ambient and more abstract compositional elements. Two cents.

Yeah :-) that’s more where it was coming from TBH

• @Newstech

And yes, I'm talking about the gate length being > 100. It seems to me the note should retrigger. Imagine piano notes being played and held. I guess if it's a constant tone then the note not being restarted isn't really noticeable.

It should send two note ons but I guess how the synth reacts when it has a second note when the first is already on (and hasn’t received an off yet) is down to the synth. I’ll have an experiment

• @pagefall said:

@skiphunt said:

Pagefall is a company between Abigail (my partner) & myself. We’re seeing how it goes before setting the legal company up so we have the app(s) under her name for the moment.

Just curious. Have wondered why we don't see more women iOS audio app developers. I don't know of any actually. And there are only a couple of women iOS audio app users who participate on the forum.

It's not like iOS audio app usage is particularly "manly" or anything. Nerdy yes ;) but I would think there'd be more women who'd be into some of the beautiful sounds that can made on the platform.

Of course, it could be there are more women iOS sound app users out there than is reflected by the users of this forum.

Does Abigail develop/code too?

• edited December 2018

no sadly not - although I am trying to encourage her too :-)

Totally agree - there should be more diversity and we have some interesting plans for Pagefall along those lines once we've got it off the ground

• I think the knobs are now totally usable and you can focus elsewhere. Thank you! 🎉

• @skiphunt said:

@pagefall said:

@skiphunt said:

Just curious. Have wondered why we don't see more women iOS audio app developers. I don't know of any actually. And there are only a couple of women iOS audio app users who participate on the forum.

It's not like iOS audio app usage is particularly "manly" or anything. Nerdy yes ;) but I would think there'd be more women who'd be into some of the beautiful sounds that can made on the platform.

Of course, it could be there are more women iOS sound app users out there than is reflected by the users of this forum.

Engineering (and software engineering in particular) is predominantly a male thing.

Just a genetic bias more than anything else. Men being more interested in things and women being more interested in people. In general (before the incoming shells land).

Not to say there aren’t good female engineers, obviously.

I speak from 27 years of software engineering.

@wim nailed the knob thing and Thor is a great example to follow to drag this post vaguely in the vicinity of the neighbourhood of the province of the topic.

• This is a great product and should surely be purchased by anyone reading this thread.
    Knobs and all.

" drag this post vaguely in the vicinity of the neighbourhood of the province of the topic." :p

• hope it's not bad form to revive threads about your own products .

I've discovered that the app store allows interpreted languages now (it never used to) - which means the door is open for Autony 2 with some kind of pattern generation language in it! (and perhaps a way of sharing those). It would be interesting to know who would find that interesting. Wouldn't be until next year though - I have a number of interesting things in the pipeline.

Currently discovering midi generation as synthesis with my next app - generating clouds of midi notes.......

• @pagefall said:
    hope it's not bad form to revive threads about your own products .

I've discovered that the app store allows interpreted languages now (it never used to) - which means the door is open for Autony 2 with some kind of pattern generation language in it! (and perhaps a way of sharing those). It would be interesting to know who would find that interesting. Wouldn't be until next year though - I have a number of interesting things in the pipeline.

Currently discovering midi generation as synthesis with my next app - generating clouds of midi notes.......

This all sounds incredible, really.
    Do you have any clues as to what a pattern generating language would be like? Is it like a scripting language of some sort?

• edited December 2018

yeah it would be a scripting language - syntax almost certainly depending on the mood I'm in when I come to write it :-) - I'm currently intrigued by the little stack based language in the Monome Teletype but whatever it is - won't be a full on programming language it will be very much be focused on patterns and manipulating them - I'm expecting them to be put in and run , not live coding - but perhaps even something with features like those of tidal cycles or the supercollider pattern language. It would be cool to have an online library where people could share scripts as well. There are tons of interesting generation mechanisms - GENDY or L-systems, fractal stuff - I'd be keen to support as much of those kinds of things as possible

• @pagefall said:
    yeah it would be a scripting language - syntax almost certainly depending on the mood I'm in when I come to write it :-) - I'm currently intrigued by the little stack based language in the Monome Teletype but whatever it is - won't be a full on programming language it will be very much be focused on patterns and manipulating them - I'm expecting them to be put in and run , not live coding - but perhaps even something with features like those of tidal cycles or the supercollider pattern language. It would be cool to have an online library where people could share scripts as well. There are tons of interesting generation mechanisms - GENDY or L-systems, fractal stuff - I'd be keen to support as much of those kinds of things as possible

Oh, man.
    Yes, please do this!
    :)

• I don't know if I'm into learning any new languages, but I do like where you're going if it means you do the writing and we get more happily unreliable results. Reminds me of a little freeware VST where you type in miscellaneous text and it plays it back as a loop using prearranged sounds and effects. Punctuation tends to be percussion, and letters are glitches and tones. You get different results from capitalized letters, etc..

• @aaronpc said:
    I don't know if I'm into learning any new languages, but I do like where you're going if it means you do the writing and we get more happily unreliable results. Reminds me of a little freeware VST where you type in miscellaneous text and it plays it back as a loop using prearranged sounds and effects. Punctuation tends to be percussion, and letters are glitches and tones. You get different results from capitalized letters, etc..

Like the language in BitWiz. I never learned how to make the equations but the swipe to generate a random sequence is my best kept secr.. :flushed:

• Autony has become my go to random note sequencer. So versatile. Use the reliability dial at less than 100% for an endless stream of coolness. Or lock it in at 100% and keep hitting Generate until you’re happy then throw LFOs on the Quantity and Gate Len for some nice subtle variety to the sequence. Thank-you Pagefall, looking forward to whatever you you create in the future.🤔😍