Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ampify - We're back on Audiobus. Tell us your frustrations (and hopes)

Comments

• edited October 2018

Ampify Groovebox is my favorite music app ever. For me, the immediacy of the UI just can’t be beat for live performance and improvisation. It lacks lots of pro features, of course, but for my uses there’s one thing Groovebox most desperately needs:

Multi-port audio output.

This would let me twiddle away endlessly and record it all to multitrack stems (with, say, AUM or Auria) for later mixing and mastering.

Really—if Groovebox could do this, I might never touch another synth app again.😄

• @Shabudua said:
    Ampify Groovebox is my favorite music app ever. For me, the immediacy of the UI just can’t be beat for live performance and improvisation.

Given the live performance aspect wouldn't it be nice if all of these parameters for an individual instrument could be on screen at once?

The room is there for ipad certainly. Sure it may be a tiny bit squishier aesthetically speaking but it could be a lot more functional and playable. Having to pan the UI seems cumbersome.

• edited October 2018

I would like you to fix the broken elements before adding new features.
    Why did you ‘have’ to concentrate on this big thing- to the detriment of maintaining the other apps that your customers have invested in. I think we are entitled to more of an explanation. And what is it- what are these ‘hints’
    I’m glad to hear you haven’t abandoned iOS whist you work on your new project- maybe though you could have mentioned this earlier and that might have saved a lot of frustration for a lot of people.
    I’m sure that many will welcome your reappearance here with open arms- but it seems to me that you only pitch up when there is something you are wanting to sell.
    I don’t feel at all reassured that my investment has been a good one- I feel neglected, used and ignored. You left us hanging.

• edited October 2018

What’s up with Intua and Ampify emerging from their temples of solitude within hours of each other?

Asking for some dude.

Let me find out a bunch of my fav devs workin on some top g14 classified dopeness together and not saying. You MFers you.

I mean...that’s what dude said.🤷🏾‍♂️

• @robosardine said:
    Why did you ‘have’ to concentrate on this big thing- to the detriment of maintaining the other apps that your customers have invested in. I think we are entitled to more of an explanation. And what is it- what are these ‘hints’
    I’m glad to hear you haven’t abandoned iOS whist you work on your new project- maybe though you could have mentioned this earlier and that might have saved a lot of frustration for a lot of people.
    I’m sure that many will welcome your reappearance here with open arms- but it seems to me that you only pitch up when there is something you are wanting to sell.
    I don’t feel at all reassured that my investment has been a good one- I feel neglected, used and ignored. You left us hanging.

I get that the apps have a lot of unfulfilled potential, but is anything actually broken? I really wish that GrooveBox had recordable automation.
    I wish Blocs wave had a friendly filing system.

It would be wondrous if all developers were on the GR-16/BramBos/Quantum/Xequence end of the responsive continuum.

• I would love if there were more controls on slicing in Blocs Wave; If we could slip our sample but not alter pre-recorded slices in the playing loop would do the trick. Also, the ability to adjust the sample BPM in a more dynamic way than adjusting the file in the browser.

Anyways, I'm late to the game but I haven't had this much fun chopping samples in a long time. Hope to see things get even better.

• edited October 2018

@bcrichards said:
    I would love if there were more controls on slicing in Blocs Wave; If we could slip our sample but not alter pre-recorded slices in the playing loop would do the trick. Also, the ability to adjust the sample BPM in a more dynamic way than adjusting the file in the browser.

Anyways, I'm late to the game but I haven't had this much fun chopping samples in a long time. Hope to see things get even better.

+1 Even if Blocswave strength is in simplicity and limitations which leads to be creative with less tools, slices adjustments and usual enveloppe controls and reverse should be pretty sweet :)

• Please, for the love of God, allow general midi mapping in LaunchPad app!!! I caved, bought the Launch control XL, and it's cool and all, but there's an entire ROW of pots that are worthless as they just duplicate the sliders/faders. If you won't open up LaunchPad to general midi mapping, then at least stop duplicating those pots!

• Import my samples into Groovebox. Let Blocs wave and Lauchpad connect altogether with Groovebox to share those samples into GB. I really enjoy all 3 Ampify apps very much and I really hope to see continued updates as I am also a subscriber to all 3! Thank you.

• I want all of the above :smile:

Curios, if anything will change.

And, in case this was not clean from other posting:

Proper MIDI support, esp. for Groovebox!

With that, I mean MIDI File Import and Export and Live MIDI Out and In.

This thing HAD the potential to be the next (Korg) Gadget, but in the current state, it is.... just a gimmick.

• May I also suggest go through several of the last "Novation" threads on here.

This discussion is a regularly occurring event.

In lieu of a new format for an app, may I suggest this.

Give the apps you have out midi control that users can assign channels, devices, and CC info.

Give your apps the same functionality regarding midi that 99% of apps have on ios.

How about just use the old technology from the Launchkey app? A BRILLIANT APP!

The secret handshake is getting hard to use multiple Novation hardware devices with the apps at the same time.

Launchpad app and Groovebox fighting over the launch key, meanwhile the launchcontrol takes us action for the launchpad app when I don't need it for the launchpad app. Then I can't use the launch control with any other apps.

This type of stuff.

I have 16 channels on my devices.

I would like to assign them per # and my preference.

Also, the default 'subscription" by which I buy IAP every week.

I would love to save presets and have greater edit capabilities.

Blocs needs midi once and for all. It would be a game changer.

That is all at he moment.

• Hi Matt. I’m totally iPad based and mobile in my music making, I don’t even use any hardware midi controllers at all, so I have been, and am, very happy and content with the functionality and performance of Blocs Wave, Groovebox and Launchpad. They are a great and inspirational supplement for creating grooves and sequences to export and add to my work in Korg Gadget where I finalise things. The only thing I would wish for is more vocal based packs for Blocs Wave. More of the ad-lib kind of vocals, and maybe more with sung lyrics, especially female, which really enhances my ambient tracks. Loopmasters packs work directly with iPad but cost a small fortune and I only end up finding a small portion of them useful. Splice, you can pick and choose individual samples, nice!, BUT they’re not directly downloadable to the iOS platform!! I don’t use a pc or laptop, so no go there. So more vocal packs for Blocs Wave is all I need from you! Thanks for a trio of brilliant and very useful iOS apps! Blocs gets used in all sorts of ways for my music construction, especially in the editor where I can randomise and chop up the bars for exporting to Gadget. The editor has been great for importing, randomising and chopping my own loops made with other apps and then getting them back out and into Gadget. Good luck with future projects and updates! 😁👊

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@robosardine said:

I get that the apps have a lot of unfulfilled potential, but is anything actually broken? I really wish that GrooveBox had recordable automation.
    I wish Blocs wave had a friendly filing system.

It would be wondrous if all developers were on the GR-16/BramBos/Quantum/Xequence end of the responsive continuum.

There is the ramping/ offset timing issue and the AudioShare ‘open in’ import crash as examples described recently on the forum.

And here is another thing- @Janosax recently posted that he had been advised by support@ampify of a temporary workaround for the import crash issue which was known to them and they were working on it and it was taking longer than they hoped etc.... yet I wrote to them just a few days ago- and the reply I received (from Oscar at Ampify) stated that they had no awareness of it whatsoever... ?

• @crony said:
    @AmpifyxNovation hi ! Thanks for your return !

For Launchpad app:
    1.Allow backups
    2.Allow scale keychange on pack samples on the samples themselves (and create copies) to get fast variations available on different pads. (and independent from the main scale)
    3.Allow midi in (to control launching of pads and fx pads , main scale, and global start/stop)
    4.Allow a midi global/start/stop with some pads activated or not by default.
    A kind of song mode.
    These patterns would be available on top line of the launchpad (the unused circles on the hardware) so that would allow 7 patterns.
    On the right, the other unused circles would make access to banks, so 4 banks, so a total of 4 songs of 7 patterns.
    On the app, there would be these 2 rows of circles beautifully integrated... :) (if no program change control, a midi learn function ? But PC's are rock solid to me...)

5.make these banks selectable using program change.

That would be awesome :)

I second this set of ideas. The Launchpad effects are amazing and I would love a way to record or sequence a session (i.e. song mode) and edit the results (especially FX performance) since it can be frustrating and a major time-waste to try and get a perfect run-through.

• I worry that this big new project will launch, and then be abandoned like the others. That makes me sad, because Blocswave and Groovebox are two of my favorite music apps.

Also: better sample organization in Blocs, please!

• edited October 2018

@AudioGus said:

Given the live performance aspect wouldn't it be nice if all of these parameters for an individual instrument could be on screen at once?

The room is there for ipad certainly. Sure it may be a tiny bit squishier aesthetically speaking but it could be a lot more functional and playable. Having to pan the UI seems cumbersome.

Groovebox’s chunky controls and spacious layout is actually one of the reasons I like it so much. It reminds my fingers of a hardware synth, and (for me) makes it more playable than most mobile apps. I also appreciate how Groovebox’s keys are nice and long, unlike the chiclets in Gadget.

But yeah...the trade-off for hardware-sized knobs and sliders is having to scroll the panel, which is obviously not ideal. A 2x3-foot iPad would solve the problem. But then, that wouldn ‘t be mobile.😄

• If only you had the audacity to make bug fixes an in app purchase- that would speed things up I would imagine.

• @robosardine said:
    If only you had the audacity to make bug fixes an in app purchase- that would speed things up I would imagine.

Ouch. The beatings will continue until morale improves etc.

• @Spidericemidas said:
    Hi Matt. I’m totally iPad based and mobile in my music making, I don’t even use any hardware midi controllers at all, so I have been, and am, very happy and content with the functionality and performance of Blocs Wave, Groovebox and Launchpad. They are a great and inspirational supplement for creating grooves and sequences to export and add to my work in Korg Gadget where I finalise things. The only thing I would wish for is more vocal based packs for Blocs Wave. More of the ad-lib kind of vocals, and maybe more with sung lyrics, especially female, which really enhances my ambient tracks. Loopmasters packs work directly with iPad but cost a small fortune and I only end up finding a small portion of them useful. Splice, you can pick and choose individual samples, nice!, BUT they’re not directly downloadable to the iOS platform!! I don’t use a pc or laptop, so no go there. So more vocal packs for Blocs Wave is all I need from you! Thanks for a trio of brilliant and very useful iOS apps! Blocs gets used in all sorts of ways for my music construction, especially in the editor where I can randomise and chop up the bars for exporting to Gadget. The editor has been great for importing, randomising and chopping my own loops made with other apps and then getting them back out and into Gadget. Good luck with future projects and updates! 😁👊

Do you import to zurich ?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@robosardine said:
    If only you had the audacity to make bug fixes an in app purchase- that would speed things up I would imagine.

Ouch. The beatings will continue until morale improves etc.

:D

• @AudioGus said:

@Shabudua said:
    Ampify Groovebox is my favorite music app ever. For me, the immediacy of the UI just can’t be beat for live performance and improvisation.

+1 million except that all these apps are universal. The double edged sword :s

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@AudioGus said:

@Shabudua said:

I think universal allows for UI to differ on different devices.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@AudioGus said:

@Shabudua said:

Go figure...Groovebox’s chunky controls and spacious layout are two things l like about it. Groovebox reminds my fingers of hardware synths. Unfortunately, the trade-off is...scrolling panels.

• @Shabudua said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@AudioGus said:

@Shabudua said:

Go figure...Groovebox’s chunky controls and spacious layout are two things l like about it. Groovebox reminds my fingers of hardware synths. Unfortunately, the trade-off is...scrolling panels.

Korg solves it by using pages rather than scrolling. So some kind of switch or tabs make it easier for the brain to remember and faster to acces where a control is.

• Agree with making all apps AUs and midi learnable :) Also, I have a Novation Curcuit - would be cool to use this with yours apps, especially Launchpad..

Thanks! :) <3

• edited October 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Shabudua said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@AudioGus said:

@Shabudua said:

Korg solves it by using pages rather than scrolling. So some kind of switch or tabs make it easier for the brain to remember and faster to acces where a control is.

Yes the pages are easier to navigate for sure, the scrolling in gb is weird and a lot of times it just shakes all weird like an emo lol and stays on the same page when I try to move it, I've also had some issues adjusting knobs (without Apple pencil) too cuz it can't decide if I'm scrolling pages or trying to adjust a parameter...

• I think my issue with the three apps I’ve used from you is there isn’t enough fluidity between them and I need more ways to transform iap into something personal. Often, by the time I get something going in Blocs then processed through other iOS apps, to Ableton I’ve often forgotten what I programmed and what was stock loops. I don’t want to release stock loops so I’d rather be able to mangle transform things within Blocs.

Pitch per slice in Blocs Wave, better user imported sample management, improved cycling through imported content in Blocs within the discover section (let me cycle through everything of mine at all BPM!) , more fx, fix for the freeze bug Janosax mentioned. Up until six months ago I bought all iap to support development there isn’t enough ways within the app to make the sounds my own. If that happened I’d become an iap completist again.

Blocs is my second favorite iOS app, Launchpad I never use probably because I use Ableton heavily (I would more if there was more interaction between the three), but have bought a ton of iap, groovebox I never use mainly because of preset management.

• I used to love Blocs Wave, but eventually gave up on it because the file management for imported samples was too limited. I’d love to see that improved. Other usability issues I remember were having to navigate to the app to turn on monitoring when sampling from Audiobus. Having an Audiobus Remote switch for monitoring on/off would be great. I also tend to fill up all 8 pads and want to continue adding to the section. If there was a way to bounce all 8 pads to 1, either on the same section or next, a lot of people could find use in that. Probably a little more esoteric, it would be really nice to be able to make uneven slices of samples. Thanks for visiting and soliciting suggestions here.

• @robosardine said:

Zing!

• @ksound said:
    I used to love Blocs Wave, but eventually gave up on it because the file management for imported samples was too limited. I’d love to see that improved.

This is my number one thing too! Suggestion for improvenent: just allow us to make custom tags that are the functional equivalent of a purchased soundset. The functionality is already there! But if you allowed us to group our own user samples the same way that purchased samples are already grouped it would make blocs wave soooo much more useful for the people who already love using it :)