Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget: Stockholm by Reason

Comments

• Sheesh Korg fix the battery drain...
    Gadget should be called Dracula...dang

I only recommend gadget if you have it plugged in...

• @lovadamusic said:

@shiftsynth1 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    It looks like Korg is taking propellerheads philosophy so I guess we should expect to see AUv3 implemented in about 10 years time, lol.

Tough fucking crowd in these parts.

Glad you are all my friends and not enemies!

LOL

Yeah, I mean I get it though. Everyone knows you shouldn't put money into something for what it will be but I think with how much Korg asks of us that its hard not to be a little butt hurt when they seem to be heading in a direction contrary to what most users want. Korg can suck a few hundy out of you, when garage band is looking more versatile you can start to feel betrayed a tad.

Unfortunately, some people made a poor buying decision and want to blame Korg. I bought Gadget years ago. Once I decided it worked for me, I bought the IAPs. I've been using it the same way here and there ever since, while benefitting from all the free updates, and buying more IAPs as I wanted them. If Korg added nothing since, I'd have gotten my money's worth.

It was years ago that I and others posted on this forum that Gadget was unlikely to go AUv3, that it was designed as a simple and reliable closed system, to sell Korg IAPs, and that Korg would stick to how they view the product. So far, that's held. People still expecting different.

Maybe Doug was referring to a Gadget Pro release in the game changers thread about a new app coming out...? A Gadget that supports AUv3 synths and fx!! Certainly be a game changer - but I kinda doubt it - too much energy and focus put into Gadget ... but we like to dream about such things here so...

Anyways - disappointed in the update here - but I still love Gadget a lot. I guess since the new Gadget is not much interest I should take advantage of the sale and finally pick up the Oddessei or Vancouver ones ... I have enough left for 1 or the other in my iTunes account. Oddessei??? Leaning towards that... convince me (don't need much convincing but I'm listening)

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I think Korg is teetering on a precarious precipous for iOS music making.

1 direction, and they can virtually dominate if several steps are taken. True Audio edit, Grid launch, AU fx, etc.

The other direction, they come off as corporate pigs looking to consolidate Reason customer rolls and purely put numbers on the board(sales).

Judging by the ill fated launch for this, they need to slow their roll and potentially tell users the direction or start getting and listening to feedback.

Korg with Gadget and iOS seems to subscribe to the we know best for your needs adage.

Which is starting to rub me the wrong way no matter how much I like Gadget.

I mean, I don't think I ever saw a rep post anything on this forum about the product.

What happened to the one developer who left Korg, where did he go? (company?)

We shall see.

Even as an admitted Korg fanboy, I've got to say, the presets they give us with their sampler apps defy the definition of anything close to musical. Going off the stock presets alone, had I paid full price I would definitely feel that I paid too much. So does Korg know best? With their presets, I have serious second thoughts. Then there's their demo songs. Like what demographic besides some old Japanese game developers are they trying to appeal to? :D

• @MrSmileZ said:
    Sheesh Korg fix the battery drain...

I've seen many comments about battery drain and heating up iPads from using gadget ... but I've personally not experienced this. On both my old iPad 4 and new 2018 ipad - I can use it for an hour or so and maybe use 10-15% on new iPad - maybe 20% on old one - and iPad not any hotter than using a bunch of synths in AUM or other setups ... wonder what's up with that? Before I got my new iPad I thought it might've been a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue ...

• I’m not sure about heat...I haven’t noticed that, but I just went from 95% to 52% in 25 minutes....that’s some hefty drainage.

• @Halftone said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    Sheesh Korg fix the battery drain...

I've seen many comments about battery drain and heating up iPads from using gadget ... but I've personally not experienced this. On both my old iPad 4 and new 2018 ipad - I can use it for an hour or so and maybe use 10-15% on new iPad - maybe 20% on old one - and iPad not any hotter than using a bunch of synths in AUM or other setups ... wonder what's up with that? Before I got my new iPad I thought it might've been a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue ...

Turning off all services, (WIFI/Cellular) and killing any background processes can significantly improve battery life too.

• @lovadamusic said:

@shiftsynth1 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    It looks like Korg is taking propellerheads philosophy so I guess we should expect to see AUv3 implemented in about 10 years time, lol.

LOL

Yeah, I mean I get it though. Everyone knows you shouldn't put money into something for what it will be but I think with how much Korg asks of us that its hard not to be a little butt hurt when they seem to be heading in a direction contrary to what most users want. Korg can suck a few hundy out of you, when garage band is looking more versatile you can start to feel betrayed a tad.

Unfortunately, some people made a poor buying decision and want to blame Korg. I bought Gadget years ago. Once I decided it worked for me, I bought the IAPs. I've been using it the same way here and there ever since, while benefitting from all the free updates, and buying more IAPs as I wanted them. If Korg added nothing since, I'd have gotten my money's worth.

It was years ago that I and others posted on this forum that Gadget was unlikely to go AUv3, that it was designed as a simple and reliable closed system, to sell Korg IAPs, and that Korg would stick to how they view the product. So far, that's held. People still expecting different.

I don’t know that people made a poor buying decision by buying Korg apps years ago, but I do know it’s doubtful Korg will be getting any more of my money until they adopt AU as I strongly prefer its workflow versus IAA as well as its stability.

I have passed on many Korg synths the last couple of years as they didn’t provide AU support which similar apps did. Sugarbytes, Moog, VirSyn, iceWorks, and PPG are just some of the developers who have added AU support to their apps which I appreciate.

Hopefully at some point Korg will do the same. I wish Apple had and would provide better AU support and documentation so the transition to IAA could be smoother and easier for all developers to do.

• edited July 2018

@AndyPlankton said:
    I can also see MIDI learn for the transport too....Is the mixer now controllable via MIDI ? Does it now work with a NanoKontrol 2 ?

Apologies if this has been answered already but this was added a while ago, if yours isn't working take a look the in the main settings of your device where you can enable the native modes for gadget. Mine are all enabled and I only have one of the listed controllers.

• I've never tried to import anything into Gadget before, so perhaps I'm doing it wrong ., but when I just tried to import some rex files , they are all greyed out. Tried copying them to dropbox from my PC and selected dropbox under import in ipad stockholm. Also tried opening dropbox on ipad, making them available offline, etc.
    Perhaps it's an incompatible version of rex file? It's from a Big Fish Audio sample pack I own ., .rx2 file extension.

It was an instant buy for me as I use gadget all the time and have GBs of rex loops.

• @R_2 said:

@david_2017 said:
    https://rhythm-lab.com/breakbeats/

I went there and got a rx2 file and put it in my Dropbox. Gadget won’t let me import it. Please don’t say that rx2 is unsupported format?!
    I think I have tons of rex files in my loopmasters folder on my Mac. Are these all useless for that?!

Import from Dropbox works for me, as does importing rx2 from from AudioShare.

How'd you import from audioshare? I'm trying everything I can think of -- my .rx2 files show up in dropbox but are greyed out ... I tried copying to audioshare but still trying to figure how to import into gadget.

• @david_2017 said:

I went there and got a rx2 file and put it in my Dropbox. Gadget won’t let me import it. Please don’t say that rx2 is unsupported format?!
    I think I have tons of rex files in my loopmasters folder on my Mac. Are these all useless for that?!

@Jumpercollins said:

@david_2017 said:

Don’t fall into the novice mistake I did and try and import into the presets bit under the word Stockholm, use 1 of the 8 slots above the wording “select loop” and your good to go.

@Jumpercollins said:

@david_2017 said:

Don’t fall into the novice mistake I did and try and import into the presets bit under the word Stockholm, use 1 of the 8 slots above the wording “select loop” and your good to go.

Duh.. I feel like such an idiot :) lmao. Been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

• @Kühl said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Too bad it wasn't a Gadgetised version of Thor.

Man, that would be so great I’d pass out for 5 minutes

Well if it happens, don't! Five minutes less in your lifespan without the Oslo gadget. (My prediction of what Thor would probably be called in Gadget.)

• What I've learned:

Stockholm is fun.

Using Nanostudio with Gadget is fun also (because I've never bothered to before because that's not what I bought it for because I'm an idiot).

I consider Gadget a hardwired machine at this point; battery drain no better.

Thank you @Peter321

Thank you @Jumpercollins

• Seems like it’s not possible to play two rex-files/loops at the same time one time (for layering) using one instance?

Multiple slices from the same loop can be triggered at the same time though. Is this a ’bug’ or ’by design’??

I’ll mess around more later with the nanoKEY Studio connected, maybe the pads can be used to select a loop and keys to trigger the slices or something like that...

I do miss a ’chromatic’ play-mode for the slected slice, sure it can somewha be automated using the loop-transpse but anyway...

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@Samu said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Samu said:
    So, being a Gadget Junkie I got this Stockholm thing and well.

How do you record it and get sound out?

Easiest way is to do an export of the track with the Gadget on it as usual.
    It's also possible to put Gadget on an AudioTrack in Cubasis(It's an IAA-Generator after all) and record tape-style.

I don't have any tools at hand at the moment to create rex-files so it's strictly a playback device for now.
    (If anyone knows of an iOS app that can create REX files I'll be happy to get informed).

I can’t figure out how to simply make it play in gadget. I can bang on the slices and get noise out, but I can’t figure out how to get the noises in the track.

Recording to the pattern only works using the ’Perf’ tab using either keys or pads. Made the same misstake at first trying to tecord tapping on the wave-form to record triggering slices...

This s a missed performance performance opportunity, swipe up/down on the pad to adjust playback pitch of the slice and left/right for direction etc. would have created a pretty expressive instrument.

Remains to be seen if Stockholm will receive feature updated, I mean the Reverb in Vancouver got a fix.

If we do get an ’Europa Gadget’ with sample import I’ll be all in :)

@Samu said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Samu said:

It's also possible to put Gadget on an AudioTrack in Cubasis(It's an IAA-Generator after all) and record tape-style.

I don't have any tools at hand at the moment to create rex-files so it's strictly a playback device for now.
    (If anyone knows of an iOS app that can create REX files I'll be happy to get informed).

I can’t figure out how to simply make it play in gadget. I can bang on the slices and get noise out, but I can’t figure out how to get the noises in the track.

Every slice is mapped to a note on the piano roll. You won't get any sound without either dragging the slice info to the roll or place notes manually to trigger slices yourself.

• @lovadamusic said:

@shiftsynth1 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

LOL

I think people became annoyed for the fact that first, the Gadget ecosystem is one of the most expensive ones on the app store, combined with the second fact that you cannot even try a gadget to see if its features fit your bill.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

LOL

I cannot see what commercial gain Korg have with the architecture ofgadget, apart from the obvious sales, unless there’s a master plan somewhere.
    The proper decent synths are all available as IAA, the samplers are not, but I think we all agree these are all lacking in one regard or another. They are Korg, they could deliver if they wanted...they have enough weight with Apple to get the support, just like Moog.

Is gadget a test bed for something bigger ? Imagine a hardware box with dsp and analogue capability. A touch screen running gadget. Pads and keys, sliders and rotaries.

I wouldn’t be able to afford one, but I’d want one.

Yeah, Gadgetribe would end up on many people’s shopping list.

• @rs2000 said:

@david_2017 said:
    Just a quick question because I don’t have any experience with this... I am planing to got myself maybe a Elektron Digitone or so. Can I Temposync my circuit with the Digitone and iPad (with gadget running)?
    Is this possible?
    Really excited for the stockholm and the sampleplayer though

Yes you can, even with the previous versions of Gadget, this always worked perfectly for me. I have a Digitakt but I guess that's no different regarding synchronisation.
    Digitakt = Clock master
    USB MIDI to iPad USB3 CCK (charging at the same time)
    Gadget Midi Sync = Ext.
    Then Gadget will follow whatever you do on the Digitakt/Digitone.
    I'd say Digitakt and Gadget are a great combination because Digitakt is great at sampling and Gadget is good at synthesis. (performance-oriented sampling is nonexistent in Gadget).
    Speaking of FM, Gadget's Chiang Mai is not as deep as the Digitone of course, but it's very easy to use and you can always combine >1 of them to get more complex sounds.

If you want deeper FM, another option is an old tiny laptop (even a netbook should do the job) with Native Instr. FM7 installed and connect it to the Digitakt hardware MIDI out via USB MIDI to the netbook/laptop and use one of the 8 MIDI channels to control and sequence it. Good fun if you have prepared a nice bank of FM7 presets.

Hey man, thank you so much for sharing your insights. As soon as I come home I will zu this with my circuit and see if that already works :) thanks man!
    Still on the fence between DT or DN, as I do mostly ambient. YouTube has some amazing examples for both. But that’s another topic! Have a good one, mate!

• @supadom said:
    Yeah, Gadgetribe would end up on many people’s shopping list.

Even the second-hand prices of old Electribes SX and MX haven't dropped a bit in the last years.
    And the attraction of solid knobs, a steel and aluminum case, and a great look&feel seems like stuff that Korg's current product management has yet to embrace.

• @david_2017 said:
    Hey man, thank you so much for sharing your insights. As soon as I come home I will zu this with my circuit and see if that already works :) thanks man!
    Still on the fence between DT or DN, as I do mostly ambient. YouTube has some amazing examples for both. But that’s another topic! Have a good one, mate!

Thank you!
    You say ambient ... I can imagine iWavestation (and its Gadget "Milpitas" counterpart) adding even more exciting sounds. You don't have to use the wave sequences for rhythmic stuff, you can also build incredible pads with them, far beyond of what's possible with FM. Think Roland D50 on steroids.

• @rs2000 said:

@david_2017 said:

Thank you!
    You say ambient ... I can imagine iWavestation (and its Gadget "Milpitas" counterpart) adding even more exciting sounds. You don't have to use the wave sequences for rhythmic stuff, you can also build incredible pads with them, far beyond of what's possible with FM. Think Roland D50 on steroids.

I actually have wavestation. Used it for layering drums with Rhythmik madness when doing some Drum and bass, never wrapped my mind around this darn thing to program it. Way too deep for my brain. But if you say so I should give the presets another spin ;)

• edited July 2018

@Samu said:
    Seems like it’s not possible to play two rex-files/loops at the same time one time (for layering) using one instance?

Multiple slices from the same loop can be triggered at the same time though. Is this a ’bug’ or ’by design’??

I’ll mess around more later with the nanoKEY Studio connected, maybe the pads can be used to select a loop and keys to trigger the slices or something like that...

I do miss a ’chromatic’ play-mode for the slected slice, sure it can somewha be automated using the loop-transpse but anyway...

Automation options aplenty on this thing but transposition to me seems like the least interesting one.

I haven't tested the Nanokey yet with this but with my custom mapping providing each pad it's own midi note I've now got a 64 pad multisampling instrument which is kind of inspiring.

As someone who's never used Dr Rex, how long is it going to take me to learn all the functionalities here? I'm thinking that this 8 loop layering/chopping is could be a bit mind bending.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I can also see MIDI learn for the transport too....Is the mixer now controllable via MIDI ? Does it now work with a NanoKontrol 2 ?

Apologies if this has been answered already but this was added a while ago, if yours isn't working take a look the in the main settings of your device where you can enable the native modes for gadget. Mine are all enabled and I only have one of the listed controllers.

Thanks, I haven't actually tried it, have uninstalled Gadget a while back, am trying to decide if it's worth re-installing and revisiting.
    I'll give it a go later :)

Another easy way is to hit the “copy loop to track” button:

• @LeonKowalski said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    I don‘t even know what rex files are. Any explanation that can help me understand if i need it or not? (or, if i want it or not, of course i don‘t NEED it) :)

Okay, another try: Could anyone explain to me what rex files are? And maybe how to make them on iOS?

Because it‘s itching me to buy that Stockholm thing but I have no idea if I could even use it...

Rex files are basically audio that's been sliced up. You put it into the rex player and can alter parts/transpose/change pitch for the parts etc etc. They are a format for Dr Rex/Octo rex player. They're easy to make in reason or even recycle which is another propellerhead software but again that's not IOS.

The idea of octorex is basically to make it easy to switch between parts. Each rx2 etc file will have 8 parts and you can select what you want for that part of the music. If you are a good drummer? Or good with rhythm, you might not need it. If you buy packs then you are at others mercy and you will have to edit to make it work for you or you can create your own but it's a process. You can look for an idea on youtube or whatever - search for dr octorex reason...however this ios one has interesting automation touch functionality. It's just a bitch that you can't import anything but midi (seemingly!!!)

• @MdM said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    I don‘t even know what rex files are. Any explanation that can help me understand if i need it or not? (or, if i want it or not, of course i don‘t NEED it) :)

Okay, another try: Could anyone explain to me what rex files are? And maybe how to make them on iOS?

Because it‘s itching me to buy that Stockholm thing but I have no idea if I could even use it...

Rex files are basically audio that's been sliced up. You put it into the rex player and can alter parts/transpose/change pitch for the parts etc etc. They are a format for Dr Rex/Octo rex player. They're easy to make in reason or even recycle which is another propellerhead software but again that's not IOS.

The idea of octorex is basically to make it easy to switch between parts. Each rx2 etc file will have 8 parts and you can select what you want for that part of the music. If you are a good drummer? Or good with rhythm, you might not need it. If you buy packs then you are at others mercy and you will have to edit to make it work for you or you can create your own but it's a process. You can look for an idea on youtube or whatever - search for dr octorex reason...however this ios one has interesting automation touch functionality. It's just a bitch that you can't import anything but midi (seemingly!!!)

Them a good next step from Propellehead is RECYCLE for iOS

• @MdM said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@LeonKowalski said:

Thanks very much for the comprhehensive answer. That helps me a lot, because I know now that I don‘t need it. It is obviously not of use for my style of music and for my personal workflow.

Cheers,
    LK

and thanks to the other guys that answered to my questions!

• anyone knows how to find .drex files on my pc? I can't find them :confused:

• @Samu said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Samu said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Samu said:

Recording to the pattern only works using the ’Perf’ tab using either keys or pads. Made the same misstake at first trying to tecord tapping on the wave-form to record triggering slices...

This s a missed performance performance opportunity, swipe up/down on the pad to adjust playback pitch of the slice and left/right for direction etc. would have created a pretty expressive instrument.

Remains to be seen if Stockholm will receive feature updated, I mean the Reverb in Vancouver got a fix.

If we do get an ’Europa Gadget’ with sample import I’ll be all in :)

Anyone know what was actually wrong with the reverb in Vancouver that needed fixing? (Always sounded ok to me!)