Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget: Stockholm by Reason

Comments

• @oldschoolwillie said:

@rs2000 said:

@mAxjUlien said:
    @AudioGus said:

It served me well for a bit but all iOS pennies are now going to go to Synthmaster One packs and the occasional under 10$ AUV3 toy.

Former Gadget lover. Now that I got the hang of B3 and AU instruments like Zeeon, SM1, Volt, S1, Soul Keys have surpassed what Gadget suite offers (not close)....I have no problem ignoring Korg until it’s updated to include Files, AU.

... and sampling/recording/editing from within those gadgets.
    Being dependent on a Win/Mac machine defeats the idea of using Gadget as a standalone composer.
    Although I prefer the workflow and MIDI-Syncability of Gadget, in terms of sampling, slicing and sample mapping, Beatmaker 3 is still the best.

I Ditto these sentiments, I used to use Gadget a lot now I use Cubasis, Beathawk and AUV3 plugins.
    KORG needs to fix the Midi import problem in Gadget
    Midi files when imported get disjointed and arranger top to bottom instead of left to right linearly.
    Gadget needs a REAL WAVE sampler, sample editor. ability to sample and re-sample and edit those samples from Gadgets within the app
    Gadget needs AUV3 plugin support "Desperately", allow users to use gadgets anywhere AUV3 is supported
    Korg should have got a version of FL Studio Edison with drag and drop to and from Bilbao or the other sampler.
    This could have been a great update, I guess it is if you use reason.........No WAVE support? KORG?

@PhilW said:
    Korg needs to embrace AUv3 or it will get marginalised in the future - end of story.

They may have really flubbed from a corporate branding and marketing perspective to serious artists and iOS music makers.

Good points lads.

• It looks like Korg is taking propellerheads philosophy so I guess we should expect to see AUv3 implemented in about 10 years time, lol.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    It looks like Korg is taking propellerheads philosophy so I guess we should expect to see AUv3 implemented in about 10 years time, lol.

Tough fucking crowd in these parts.

Glad you are all my friends and not enemies!

LOL

• I couldn’t care less about stockholm, have never used abu Dhabi. I wonder what the performance fixes are.

Anyways always happy for gadget updates, no matter what they are. They are all a bonus. Sure i would like some things added but as is gadget works for me and is my desert island ios app. Even more than auria, which i love for mixing, but could easily replace , going back to live or logic.

What gadget permits me to do in 40 minutes is still unparalleled for me by anything.

• Just a quick question because I don’t have any experience with this... I am planing to got myself maybe a Elektron Digitone or so. Can I Temposync my circuit with the Digitone and iPad (with gadget running)?
    Is this possible?
    Really excited for the stockholm and the sampleplayer though

• @RUST( i )K said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    It looks like Korg is taking propellerheads philosophy so I guess we should expect to see AUv3 implemented in about 10 years time, lol.

LOL

Yeah, I mean I get it though. Everyone knows you shouldn't put money into something for what it will be but I think with how much Korg asks of us that its hard not to be a little butt hurt when they seem to be heading in a direction contrary to what most users want. Korg can suck a few hundy out of you, when garage band is looking more versatile you can start to feel betrayed a tad.

• @vpich said:
    I couldn’t care less about stockholm, have never used abu Dhabi. I wonder what the performance fixes are.

Anyways always happy for gadget updates, no matter what they are. They are all a bonus. Sure i would like some things added but as is gadget works for me and is my desert island ios app. Even more than auria, which i love for mixing, but could easily replace , going back to live or logic.

What gadget permits me to do in 40 minutes is still unparalleled for me by anything.

You better hope there’s electricity on that there island because 40 minutes is about how long your battery will last ... if you’re lucky. B)

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    What a day!

First Korg Gadget Stockholm, then release of Affinity Designer for iPad (been in betamode last two years!), and then update to my Sonos-system: AIRPLAY2-support!!!

See you in a week ;-)

omg, thanks for the affinity designer tip!! had no idea. :D:D:D

• @wim said:

@vpich said:

You better hope there’s electricity on that there island because 40 minutes is about how long your battery will last ... if you’re lucky. B)

Ha. Yeah, although my experience is not as bad as what i hear from others. I go an hour at a time while my kids swim in the team and don’t hit the 20% battery alert. Haven’t paid attention to how low it goes. I usually don’t use it for longer than that at a time.

• So the only way to keep a loop playing is by not lifting the finger or by writing into the track. That's ridiculous.

• Yep. Disappointed for what you get for the money. Anyways finally a possibility to get these rex files looped

• @Samu said:
    So, being a Gadget Junkie I got this Stockholm thing and well.

How do you record it and get sound out?

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@Samu said:

Easiest way is to do an export of the track with the Gadget on it as usual.
    It's also possible to put Gadget on an AudioTrack in Cubasis(It's an IAA-Generator after all) and record tape-style.

I don't have any tools at hand at the moment to create rex-files so it's strictly a playback device for now.
    (If anyone knows of an iOS app that can create REX files I'll be happy to get informed).

• https://rhythm-lab.com/breakbeats/

I went there and got a rx2 file and put it in my Dropbox. Gadget won’t let me import it. Please don’t say that rx2 is unsupported format?!
    I think I have tons of rex files in my loopmasters folder on my Mac. Are these all useless for that?!

• @david_2017 said:
    https://rhythm-lab.com/breakbeats/

I went there and got a rx2 file and put it in my Dropbox. Gadget won’t let me import it. Please don’t say that rx2 is unsupported format?!
    I think I have tons of rex files in my loopmasters folder on my Mac. Are these all useless for that?!

Don’t fall into the novice mistake I did and try and import into the presets bit under the word Stockholm, use 1 of the 8 slots above the wording “select loop” and your good to go.

• @AudioGus said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:
    Montpelier... Nice. Never thought I would get an old fart emulation again but this one holds up and clearly must have been used by bands that formed my tastes.

IF I were to get anything in the sales then this would be it. that's a BIG if though.

It served me well for a bit but all iOS pennies are now going to go to Synthmaster One packs and the occasional under 10$ AUV3 toy.

You’re not the first to mention synthmaster one to me..truth is, I’ve got good synths, good hardware synths too, so it’s difficult for something to get me excited sound wise.
    Was thinking about this because of the 4 osc’s and possibilities that opens up.

• edited July 2018

@Munibeast said:
    Can anybody please tell me how to keep a loop playing without writing it into the track? If there was a hold function in the keyboard options that would do the trick but there isn’t. How do I trigger a loop and keep it playing until triggering the next one? There should be a latch mode.

In the editor you can add a “note” to the “key” called “loop 1” (or loop 2, loop 3 etc. )

As long as it sustains the loop will play and change tempo with the song. Wherever the note starts that’s where the loop will start.

There are several other parameters that lets you transpose the loop playing or stop it.

• edited July 2018

@RUST( i )K said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

LOL

I cannot see what commercial gain Korg have with the architecture ofgadget, apart from the obvious sales, unless there’s a master plan somewhere.
    The proper decent synths are all available as IAA, the samplers are not, but I think we all agree these are all lacking in one regard or another. They are Korg, they could deliver if they wanted...they have enough weight with Apple to get the support, just like Moog.

Is gadget a test bed for something bigger ? Imagine a hardware box with dsp and analogue capability. A touch screen running gadget. Pads and keys, sliders and rotaries.

I wouldn’t be able to afford one, but I’d want one.

• @david_2017 said:

Import from Dropbox works for me, as does importing rx2 from from AudioShare.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@david_2017 said:

Don’t fall into the novice mistake I did and try and import into the presets bit under the word Stockholm, use 1 of the 8 slots above the wording “select loop” and your good to go.

Thanks mate. I fell in the same mistake. Works like a charm that way :)
    I may get myself another loopmasters treat to celebrate that day

• @Peter321 said:

@Munibeast said:
    Can anybody please tell me how to keep a loop playing without writing it into the track? If there was a hold function in the keyboard options that would do the trick but there isn’t. How do I trigger a loop and keep it playing until triggering the next one? There should be a latch mode.

In the editor you can add a “note” to the “key” called “loop 1” (or loop 2, loop 3 etc. )

As long as it sustains the loop will play and change tempo with the song. Wherever the note starts that’s where the loop will start.

There are several other parameters that lets you transpose the loop playing or stop it.

Thanks Peter, that works alright. Still would be nice to have a simple play button on the device. But I can live with that.

• edited July 2018

@david_2017 said:
    Just a quick question because I don’t have any experience with this... I am planing to got myself maybe a Elektron Digitone or so. Can I Temposync my circuit with the Digitone and iPad (with gadget running)?
    Is this possible?

Yes you can, even with the previous versions of Gadget, this always worked perfectly for me. I have a Digitakt but I guess that's no different regarding synchronisation.
    Digitakt = Clock master
    USB MIDI to iPad USB3 CCK (charging at the same time)
    Gadget Midi Sync = Ext.
    Then Gadget will follow whatever you do on the Digitakt/Digitone.
    I'd say Digitakt and Gadget are a great combination because Digitakt is great at sampling and Gadget is good at synthesis. (performance-oriented sampling is nonexistent in Gadget).
    Speaking of FM, Gadget's Chiang Mai is not as deep as the Digitone of course, but it's very easy to use and you can always combine >1 of them to get more complex sounds.

If you want deeper FM, another option is an old tiny laptop (even a netbook should do the job) with Native Instr. FM7 installed and connect it to the Digitakt hardware MIDI out via USB MIDI to the netbook/laptop and use one of the 8 MIDI channels to control and sequence it. Good fun if you have prepared a nice bank of FM7 presets.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Too bad it wasn't a Gadgetised version of Thor.

Man, that would be so great I’d pass out for 5 minutes

• @rs2000 said:

@david_2017 said:
    Just a quick question because I don’t have any experience with this... I am planing to got myself maybe a Elektron Digitone or so. Can I Temposync my circuit with the Digitone and iPad (with gadget running)?
    Is this possible?

Yes you can, even with the previous versions of Gadget, this always worked perfectly for me. I have a Digitakt but I guess that's no different regarding synchronisation.
    Digitakt = Clock master
    Gadget Midi Sync = Ext.
    I'd say Digitakt and Gadget are a great combination because Digitakt is great at sampling and Gadget is good at synthesis. (performance-oriented sampling is nonexistent in Gadget).
    Speaking of FM, Gadget's Chiang Mai is not as deep as the Digitone of course, but it's very easy to use and you can always combine >1 of them to get more complex sounds.

If you want deeper FM, another option is an old tiny laptop (even a netbook should do the job) with Native Instr. FM7 installed and connect it to the Digitakt hardware MIDI out via USB MIDI to the netbook/laptop and use one of the 8 MIDI channels to control and sequence it. Good fun if you have prepared a nice bank of FM7 presets.

This is a really helpful explanation, @rs2000 thanks

• @AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:
    Montpelier... Nice. Never thought I would get an old fart emulation again but this one holds up and clearly must have been used by bands that formed my tastes.

IF I were to get anything in the sales then this would be it. that's a BIG if though.

It is the only Gadget synth that I will use at this point. > @AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:

You’re not the first to mention synthmaster one to me..truth is, I’ve got good synths, good hardware synths too, so it’s difficult for something to get me excited sound wise.
    Was thinking about this because of the 4 osc’s and possibilities that opens up.

For me it is the best on iOS in terms of fidelity etc and will easily be 90+% of my ios synth needs. I love it. including desktop, Omnisphere and Massive still win but I will actually use Synthmaster One alongside them and feel it is on par in a mix and has a great range of variety. Not as user friendly to use as zeeon but I wager it will be more of a preset flipper/tweaker for me.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@rs2000 said:

@david_2017 said:
    Is this possible?

Digitakt = Clock master
    Gadget Midi Sync = Ext.

This is a really helpful explanation, @rs2000 thanks

You're welcome :)
    I should have mentioned that you can use both MIDI paths (hardware 5-pin and USB MIDI) on the Digitakt/-tone simultaneously.

• @Samu said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Samu said:

Easiest way is to do an export of the track with the Gadget on it as usual.
    It's also possible to put Gadget on an AudioTrack in Cubasis(It's an IAA-Generator after all) and record tape-style.

I don't have any tools at hand at the moment to create rex-files so it's strictly a playback device for now.
    (If anyone knows of an iOS app that can create REX files I'll be happy to get informed).

I can’t figure out how to simply make it play in gadget. I can bang on the slices and get noise out, but I can’t figure out how to get the noises in the track.

• One question about Stockholm (I can't find a manual at the KORG site):
    Does in support folders and tags, or at least folders for importing RX2 files?
    Will it handle 15000 files?

• @shiftsynth1 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

LOL

Yeah, I mean I get it though. Everyone knows you shouldn't put money into something for what it will be but I think with how much Korg asks of us that its hard not to be a little butt hurt when they seem to be heading in a direction contrary to what most users want. Korg can suck a few hundy out of you, when garage band is looking more versatile you can start to feel betrayed a tad.

Unfortunately, some people made a poor buying decision and want to blame Korg. I bought Gadget years ago. Once I decided it worked for me, I bought the IAPs. I've been using it the same way here and there ever since, while benefitting from all the free updates, and buying more IAPs as I wanted them. If Korg added nothing since, I'd have gotten my money's worth.

It was years ago that I and others posted on this forum that Gadget was unlikely to go AUv3, that it was designed as a simple and reliable closed system, to sell Korg IAPs, and that Korg would stick to how they view the product. So far, that's held. People still expecting different.