Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep 2

Comments

• @CRAKROX said:
    I honestly doubt this is ever going to appear as much as I’d like it to, shame really as they were building on a potentially great app.

Many would say that it is a great app already. :)

• Touchable has taken up more time than they expected unfortunately, but Modstep is great at what it is.
    It’s the reality of iOS development as I doubt many people are doing it full time without having to do other jobs as well.
    I do like these devs ambition and l’m sure they get around to it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@CRAKROX said:
    I honestly doubt this is ever going to appear as much as I’d like it to, shame really as they were building on a potentially great app.

It is, but we were titillated with something even better, something that could have been the iOS version of Ableton maybe ?

• @CRAKROX said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CRAKROX said:

It is, but we were titillated with something even better, something that could have been the iOS version of Ableton maybe ?

Zenbeats, Korg Gadget, Garageband, AUM modular AUv3 setups...

What do you miss from Ableton?
    Even things like ZMors fits into maxmsp paradigm...

Just curious since I only use Ableton for linear editing since I don’t want to fiddle into that without a mouse but BM3/NS2 (when audio tracks arrive), Auria/Cubasis... can handle this stuff for some uses.

• @echoopera said:
    As a midi sequencer it still works great.

That's great! thanks!
    i want to try to use it as live sequencer with aum.

• @Carnbot said:
    Touchable has taken up more time than they expected unfortunately, but Modstep is great at what it is.
    It’s the reality of iOS development as I doubt many people are doing it full time without having to do other jobs as well.

Basically

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I feel like the people who say Modstep is dead never used it in the first place.

Agreed (note that I've never used MS, LOL. But I know from using Studiomux that although there are bugs and challenges and their UX isn't the most beautiful... when you hit the sweet spot, you can get your work done, because no other app does that specific thing that MS or SM does.

• edited December 2019

@chalice said:

@echoopera said:
    As a midi sequencer it still works great.

That's great! thanks!
    i want to try to use it as live sequencer with aum.

That being said, have you looked at NanoStudio 2 for your midi sequencing.

I just fell in love with NanoStudio 2 all over again once i figured out how to midi out from it to internal and external gear.

I think it’s on sale for $5.99 and is universal. 🤔👊🏼™️

• NS2 is vastly superior to Modtsep, it even has things like pan in its mixer ‘Shocker’

• I don't get the linear sequencer (NS2) to ModStep comparisons. If one is looking for a linear sequencer ModStep wouldn't be something of interest. It shines as a pattern sequencer/clip launcher for which NS2 can't really be used.

Could it be even better, sure? But it isn't intended to be a linear sequencer.

• Here’s a quick video overview of how to set up midi out in NanoStudio 2 to sequence your synths:

• @espiegel123 said:
    I don't get the linear sequencer (NS2) to ModStep comparisons. If one is looking for a linear sequencer ModStep wouldn't be something of interest. It shines as a pattern sequencer/clip launcher for which NS2 can't really be used.

Could it be even better, sure? But it isn't intended to be a linear sequencer.

Very true
    People who have been using Modstep a lot would most likely give up too much of its very special concept when switching to another DAW. The only remotely similar app is IMHO Beatmaker 3. It's also the only Audio+MIDI DAW properly following MIDI clock, and you can easily map MIDI messages to launch different MIDI clips in both Modstep and BM3.

• I think now Zenbeats (the free version) can serve as a great midi clip launcher plus it has the great feature: record the performance in timeline view

• Yes i’m looking for a pattern/clip launcher sequencer. Not linear.
    I had nanostudio2 but have returned it because of auv3 stability issues.
    As for linear sequencing i have xequence2 and cubasis. And i love them but linear sequencing is totally not my workflow.
    I realized what i’m getting best result with recording audios while live playing in AUM with a midi controller. and then mixing and polishing results in cubasis.

i’m thinking probably modstep can increase my live playing abilities.

But i haven’t considered BM, cause i’m not a beatmaker lol. I’ll watch videos about it. May be it is a good option.
    Thanks!

As for zenbeats. It’s not available in my country :(

• @chalice You returned NS2 because there are some badly written AU units?

That's a bummer.

With the same logic, you can return nearly any and all other Apps too.

• edited December 2019

@chalice said:
    Yes i’m looking for a pattern/clip launcher sequencer. Not linear.
    As for linear sequencing i have xequence2 and cubasis. And i love them but linear sequencing is totally not my workflow.
    I realized what i’m getting best result with recording audios while live playing in AUM with a midi controller. and then mixing and polishing results in cubasis.

But i haven’t considered BM, cause i’m not a beatmaker lol. I’ll watch videos about it. May be it is a good option.
    Thanks!

Easy: Load BeatHawk as an AUM MIDI track and build and launch your patterns there. You can launch them live with beat-synced switching.
    And I don't know a better AUv3 sequencer option with this combination of clip launching, pattern piano roll and quite a good MIDI CC automation editor.

• @rs2000 said:

@chalice said:

Thanks!

Easy: Load BeatHawk as an AUM MIDI track and build and launch your patterns there. You can launch them live with beat-synced switching.
    And I don't know a better AUv3 sequencer option with this combination of clip launching, pattern piano roll and quite a good MIDI CC automation editor.

BeatHawk isn’t really a substitute. You can’t do anything g like the mix and match clip launching of different instruments or parts that ModStep does. I find it useful for sketching and building drummgrooves. One lane has kick parts, one has hats, one has snares, etc.

One can mix and match on the fly. BeatHawk (which 8 also use) has a very different flow and doesn’t do this. I suspect that most people that find other apps as “substitutes” for ModStep are not using those aspects of its workflow that are unique on iOS.

I can’t speak to ZenBeats. I don’t know if it can be used in this way (per instrument clip launching). I’m unlikely to try it until they do right by the customers in countries locked out by Roland’s current policies.

• @Turntablist said:
    NS2 is vastly superior to Modtsep, it even has things like pan in its mixer ‘Shocker’

For sequencing external apps/gear though Modstep may be better for some people. In Modstep being able to adjust clip speed on the fly is fantastic.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@chalice said:

Thanks!

BeatHawk isn’t really a substitute. You can’t do anything g like the mix and match clip launching of different instruments or parts that ModStep does. I find it useful for sketching and building drummgrooves. One lane has kick parts, one has hats, one has snares, etc.

One can mix and match on the fly. BeatHawk (which 8 also use) has a very different flow and doesn’t do this. I suspect that most people that find other apps as “substitutes” for ModStep are not using those aspects of its workflow that are unique on iOS.

I can’t speak to ZenBeats. I don’t know if it can be used in this way (per instrument clip launching). I’m unlikely to try it until they do right by the customers in countries locked out by Roland’s current policies.

Sure, it's not a substitute for Modstep but which AUv3 sequencer comes closer than BeatHawk?

• All of these units were working perfectly inside aum.
    And i’ve lost a couple projects in nanostudio because these projects were just not opening anymore.
    If daw doesnt have a ‘condom’ to prevent badly written auv3 to ruin whole project in the first week of use - it’s not for me. Sorry.
    And lack of audio tracks and auv3 automation were additional reasons.
    May be it’s the universe just said to me what NS2 is not my way.

Just for midi sequencing i had xequence which is great.

After that i’ve bought cubasis and was happy. Yes it has auv3 stabilities issues too, no sidechain, bad piano roll and outdated ui. But at least it has ability to freeze tracks and great auv3 automation. I’ve chosen daw which has more important options to me and was more stable in my case.

I don’t see where is the logic to return nearly all apps?
    I think i’ve spent nearly 1000$ on apps. And had a reason to return an app only two times.

@tja said:
    @chalice You returned NS2 because there are some badly written AU units?

That's a bummer.

With the same logic, you can return nearly any and all other Apps too.

• I’d be pretty happy if this got an update

• Thanks! i'll look into it. If it even have good midi cc automation editor may be it will fulfil most of my needs.
    At the moment i use couple instances of POLY2 midi for patterns and clips. + fugue machine+cykle.

I really like an idea to have everything inside an AUM session.
    That's one of the reasons why i haven't bought modstep yet. but it really seduces me from time to time all these years...

@rs2000 said:

• sooo i've bought beathawk. i like midi cc automation and piano roll. but i can't find a way to trigger patterns via midi ... is there a way?

@rs2000 said:

Sure, it's not a substitute for Modstep but which AUv3 sequencer comes closer than BeatHawk?

• @chalice said:
    sooo i've bought beathawk. i like midi cc automation and piano roll. but i can't find a way to trigger patterns via midi ... is there a way?

@rs2000 said:

No, I dont think so.
    The only way I can imagine is the trick to use Accessibility Switch Control to control on-screen gestures by MIDI, but then you would have to make iOS learn all your gestures and it will only work with the same screen setup (but it seems like AUM does not save on-screen positions of individual AUv3 plugins which would be essential to build such a setup).

Actually that's a good question for @j_liljedahl:
    Is it possible to save the on-screen position of AUv3 plugins in a session and restore the same state of window sizes and positions like when the session was saved?
    This is not only required for Accessibility switch control to control apps that don't expose all parameters but also for live setups in which you have multiple AUv3 plugins with hands-on controls like pads or clip launchers.
    And of course for plugins like BeatHawk that don't expose full app control as AUv3 parameters.

• Ape Matrix saves the window positions.

• Who remembers a year ago when they teased screenshots of Modstep 2 ? They had a blue and black hue as opposed to Modstep’s red and black.

• I remember. And I remember thinking “I’ll believe it when I see it.” Still true. ;)

• So i finally decided to buy modstep and i love it.
    Thanks

• I'm looking forward to Modstep 3

• This could be Modstep 2 but from a different dev, check it out.

https://tunemaker.app/

• @Jumpercollins said:
    This could be Modstep 2 but from a different dev, check it out.

https://tunemaker.app/

More ChordFlow 2