Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep 2

Comments

• @Multicellular said:

@AudioGus said:

@Multicellular said:

@ALB said:
    I have been intrigued with ModStep for some time, but haven't pulled the trigger. I don't typically use any out board gear. While I realize that there is a learning curve, I am not too intimidated (I bit the bullet and became functional on BM3 a few months ago, if that experience is any comparison). Any thoughts on whether this is for me? It seems really powerful.

I am using Modstep and Beatmaker as my two app setup. Modstep is where I'm recording the midi, song sections, sending to BM3.

There are some things each does the other doesn't that I need, or does better.

Modstep
    -Easier workflow for triggering song parts verse, chorus, etc. remotely with midi CCs.
    -Find the midi pattern recording easier/faster than BM3
    -Modstep has separate tempo per part (again verse, chorus) that BM3 lacks.
    -I use some external synths and, well, probably not fair for me to say this, but I tried to use BM3 to run them and they didn't work, Modstep worked right off. I didn't try and trouble shoot, but even if I did, it is super easy to set up in Modstep, takes more clicks in BM.

Beatmaker 3
    -multivelocity layer samples. I use this for more realistic instruments, drums, etc. Modstep only has a simple sample player
    -more and better internal effects. They use a lot less memory than your typical AU3s.

cool, I have been going through listening to old tracks and really feeling the itch to use the Modstep sequencer to drive BM3. the clip speed adjustments and transpose are just so powerful. if i can just midi from modstep to bm3 ok enough and without setup headaches for initial sketching then yah... may be worth it. i will have to give it a shot this weekend.

Hey there was one trick to getting them to work together. Setup Modstep as you would expect, connecting notes out in the settings and then sending a channel out on the track.

But BM3, doesnt work quite as expected. Go to the bank midi tab and set it to All and the midi channel. Setting it to Modstep and the channel just didnt work for me. Still have 16 channels, so no significant problem, but I was scratching my head for a few minutes.

Ahh cool, thanks for the tip! That may indeed have compromised my frustration threshold heh

• Any news?
    @cblomert ?
    Anyone?

• Does Modstep have a bitcrusher/decimate effect built in?

• No decimate/bit crush. Built in delay, reverb, eq/filter.

Modstep can host iaa and AU though. You could use elsa by erik sigth ( as an effect ), nils by erik sigth, blamsoft resampler, k-devices shaper has a bit crush algo, BitWiz ( as an effect ), etc. All very useful for lo bit rate sounds, and bitcrush effects.

• Have any one heard of any update coming

• edited August 2018

Unfortunately no...
    Modstep is on sale 50% off today...

I've spent all night trying to make BM3 work...Ended with Modstep...Until now, to me, nothing beats it...It's so damn stable...
    If they could (Tsunami feature list ;) )add MMC support (MidiFlow does the trick perfectly, but I don't like that...), Link updated, undo/redo, stuffs like that...Hopefully one day...

Even if I would love to, BM3 is just impossible to use live at the moment...

• Going on sale is a good sign for a v2 ;)

• @crony said:
    Unfortunately no...
    Modstep is on sale 50% off today...

I've spent all night trying to make BM3 work...Ended with Modstep...Until now, to me, nothing beats it...It's so damn stable...
    If they could (Tsunami feature list ;) )add MMC support (MidiFlow does the trick perfectly, but I don't like that...), Link updated, undo/redo, stuffs like that...Hopefully one day...

Just curious, what did no work with BM3?

• Modstep is a legendary app that offers a lot of functionality which simply doesn't exist elsewhere. I'm very excited to see what possibilities Modstep 2 has in store!

• Would love to see Modstep 2. But not seen any beta for ages so would say it's still a way off yet.....

• I think I need to re-visit ModStep and it's built-in instruments. The drum sample player/pads is OK but I do wish the 'synth' had gotten a sample-oscillator. Maybe at some point in time :)

• edited August 2018

@crony said:

Im not crony but

@tja said:
    Just curious, what did no work with BM3?

..I am actually using BM with Modstep just due to BM having multi velocity sampling Though I will have to test the viability of the new Virsyn app which also does. But BM has all my bread and butter percussion, so it is a decent live workflow to just keep open one 1 session while I switch songs in Modstep.

But for one BM has no tempo changes in song. So thats one dealbreaker. Known feature request, but even if they added that, for live, basically a midi looping setup, Ive had trouble figuring out how to quickly toggle between different instruments with midi controllers, some with different lengths of loops per scene, copy and paste patterns to the same or different scenes. Thats easy to do in Modstep, and youre all on one screen.

• edited August 2018

@Samu said:
    I think I need to re-visit ModStep and it's built-in instruments. The drum sample player/pads is OK but I do wish the 'synth' had gotten a sample-oscillator. Maybe at some point in time :)

I dont know if it is Modstep or IAA but after too many crashes, I went with only AUs in Modstep and have only had issues with Axon (au just disappears sometimes). I have had a number of crashes in BM too with IAA, so again, dont know if it was even Modstep or the IAAs I was using. Find then Modstep sampler very usable, except, as noted above, when I need multi velocity layers, the synth, eh, havent even used much. Id fallen for all the Icegear and Moog ones before I even found Modstep.

• edited August 2018

@tja well first Link drifting is really a big issue for a « techno » live set...
    Then lots of details with the sequencer, for instance the grid view that does not remember to be in automatic.
    The all ergonomy needs polishing, faster access...
    Then midi connections going away, you need to open a track, then it works, then it’s the macro controls, you need to go on the track to activate it, but as ergonomy is perfectible, you’re loosing time...
    Even midi driven external synth is a bit erratic, Modstep just playing midi as it should...
    The scenes management in BM3 is great, but still needs basic options (number of loops for each scene) colors for each scene to know where you are while you’re in 64 pads view. If not, it’s great for a live of 2/3 tracks, but what’s the point wanting going further, at this time.
    Sampler is super cool, in « mpc » mode that’s the best part of bm3...

• @Multicellular said:

@Samu said:
    I think I need to re-visit ModStep and it's built-in instruments. The drum sample player/pads is OK but I do wish the 'synth' had gotten a sample-oscillator. Maybe at some point in time :)

I dont know if it is Modstep or IAA but after too many crashes, I went with only AUs in Modstep and have only had issues with Axon (au just disappears sometimes). I have had a number of crashes in BM too with IAA, so again, dont know if it was even Modstep or the IAAs I was using. Find then Modstep sampler very usable, except, as noted above, when I need multi velocity layers, the synth, eh, havent even used much. Id fallen for all the Icegear and Moog ones before I even found Modstep.

IAAs are a real pita, so I mostly use them as 'sampler fodder' for creating samples.
    AUv3's can crash too when the global memory limit is reached and it makes them mysteriously 'dissapear'.

• edited August 2018

@Samu said:
    IAAs are a real pita, so I mostly use them as 'sampler fodder' for creating samples.
    AUv3's can crash too when the global memory limit is reached and it makes them mysteriously 'dissapear'.

I think youre probably right about that. I was checking the cpu readings on everything and, though it wasnt high overall, Axon was cpu spiking here and there.

• So ... reviving this thread for this question.
    Can BM3 do all (or mostly all) of what ModStep can do you folk?

• edited October 2018

@kinkujin said:
    So ... reviving this thread for this question.

Totaly different rides. Modstep excells as a sequencer controlling external stuff. BM3 is an awesome sampler, respsectable host, great audio routing but lacks sequencing flair and has automation issues. The AU and IAA support in Modstep feels kind of tacked on whereas in BM3 it is enough to facilitate the sampler. In my mind when Nanostudio2 is out that will be another thing doing other stuff in its way with the same ratio of strengths and weaknesses in different areas lol. Seems in a way that nothing is complete on iOS.

• @skiphunt said:
    I'm a fan of this developer and interested in any path they wanna explore. I think they're trying to push the platform in new directions without being mired in legacy paradigms. And, I happen to like clean, image-driven interfaces with fewer words to clutter up the visual space... as long as the icons are well designed and communicate intuitively. I actually think they do an excellent job of this. If anything, I'd prefer MORE graphics and fewer "words". ;)

For example, at bottom right of Modstep there's a button for CHAIN. The letters are scrunched up and cut off. They could go smaller, but wouldn't it be more visually more elegant to have a simple icon of a chain link there instead?

I’m with you, Skip, but I think you and I are a subset here of artists with little midi experience. > @AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

Totaly different rides.

On the face of it, BM3 can do everything Modstep can do and more. However, the workflow is what makes the app, right? Modstep's clips are intuitive and let you quickly workshop ideas. The clips in BM3 are potentially more powerful (they're audio AND midi), but I have never progressed past four bars there.....

• edited October 2018

@kinkujin said:

I like BM3 for more of a DAW, but it is too many steps to use as a live sequencer in my opinion.
    e.g. looping midi in Modstep, arm, record, done. change tracks, done. I can't even recall the steps in BM3, but they took me way more than a typical loop when I tried.

I couldn't get it for example to trigger song sections with a foot pedal (I'm not saying it absolutely can not do that, but I read the manual and tried for hours I'll never get back with no success).

Also, BM3 doesn't have tempo changes.

• @AudioGus : Thanks again for that informed comparison
    @Samu : I agree. Often I’ll just come up with something I like in Sampletank and commit it to Audio or something like that

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@skiphunt said:
    I'm a fan of this developer and interested in any path they wanna explore. I think they're trying to push the platform in new directions without being mired in legacy paradigms. And, I happen to like clean, image-driven interfaces with fewer words to clutter up the visual space... as long as the icons are well designed and communicate intuitively. I actually think they do an excellent job of this. If anything, I'd prefer MORE graphics and fewer "words". ;)

For example, at bottom right of Modstep there's a button for CHAIN. The letters are scrunched up and cut off. They could go smaller, but wouldn't it be more visually more elegant to have a simple icon of a chain link there instead?

I’m with you, Skip, but I think you and I are a subset here of artists with little midi experience. > @AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

Totaly different rides.

On the face of it, BM3 can do everything Modstep can do and more. However, the workflow is what makes the app, right? Modstep's clips are intuitive and let you quickly workshop ideas. The clips in BM3 are potentially more powerful (they're audio AND midi), but I have never progressed past four bars there.....

To me they are just two different tools for two different things. BM3 is more mobile friendly for me whereas Modstep is stationary, plugged into other stuff. I have fed Modstep into Bm3 to take advantage of the quick midi workshopping you mentioned.

• If the 'synth' in ModSTEP had been able to use samples as oscillators it would have been a very nice sampler too.

It's quite easy to import samples from AudioShare and use in the drum pads, but man, why did they leave out samples from the synth?!

Internal recording of IAA's and AUv3's for quick re-sampling/recording is quite handy too.

Internally it's not possible to route two tracks to the same instrument (ie. one track for controllers and an other for notes) but when feeding external synths/apps it's possible. That's one of the main reasons to host the synths in AUM and do the sequencing in ModSTEP.

Also 'song mode' is missing (ie. select which 'scenes' to use per song-step similar to Genome).

So I'm eager to see what kind of update the developers are cooking :)

• @Samu said:
    Also 'song mode' is missing (ie. select which 'scenes' to use per song-step similar to Genome).

Not sure what you mean here? You can set the number of repeats of a scene in Modstep.

• @Multicellular said:

@kinkujin said:

I like BM3 for more of a DAW, but it is too many steps to use as a live sequencer in my opinion.
    e.g. looping midi in Modstep, arm, record, done. change tracks, done. I can't even recall the steps in BM3, but they took me way more than a typical loop when I tried.

I couldn't get it for example to trigger song sections with a foot pedal (I'm not saying it absolutely can not do that, but I read the manual and tried for hours I'll never get back with no success).

Also, BM3 doesn't have tempo changes.

This is absolutely true. I still find it amazing that Modstep is the only iOS app out there that facilitates tempo changes from row to row in a live situation. It's not like everyone can't see the secret sauce that Live has been using for years.

• @Multicellular said:

@Samu said:

Not sure what you mean here? You can set the number of repeats of a scene in Modstep.

Yes, but 're-using' parts/tracks from one scene later on one needs to do 'copy & paste' of a pattern to the new scene.
    (For example repeating the same-bass line later in a song without having to do copy & paste from one scene to another).

If I wan't to make changes to the bass-line all 'copies' in the other 'scenes' would have to be edited too as there are no 'aliases' or 'ghost copies' that can be used like what can be done in Xequence...

• edited October 2018

@Samu said:

@Multicellular said:

@Samu said:

Yes, but 're-using' parts/tracks from one scene later on one needs to do 'copy & paste' of a pattern to the new scene.
    (For example repeating the same-bass line later in a song without having to do copy & paste from one scene to another).

If I wan't to make changes to the bass-line all 'copies' in the other 'scenes' would have to be edited too as there are no 'aliases' or 'ghost copies' that can be used like what can be done in Xequence...

Ah. I see. I used to sketch out songs in Reaper and it is elegant and flexible like that.

• Thanks all. I am tempted by all those external synth templates, pre-defined instrument definitions (hangover from the Cakewalk days). But, unsure if this is for me or not. Maybe I'll wait to see how the update shakes out.

• Will version 2 be a new purchase? If not, i'd be tempted to get it now.

• edited October 2018

@cblomert @Nerk please tell.m> @kinkujin said:

Will version 2 be a new purchase? If not, i'd be tempted to get it now.

I’m pretty sure it’s an update. I vaguely remember @cblomert telling me so.