Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps that i would gladly pay 50 €/$/ for:

Comments

• edited November 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@Cib said:
    Not sure. I think musicians which really want pro music production apps are not the common consumer target.

>

Fab Filters for IOS are pro quality production. Yet are priced at under $50.

At their price they sell to both markets. Upping that price would lose them a lot of sales.

And yet they still seems to make a good living from their desktop market.
    Also without the desktop market non of these Fabfilter tools would exist on iOS and what if iOS sales reduce their main target. They shot themselves. Because of that no AUv3 yet maybe.
    I even think that some developers make a fault and damage their own market to bring the same tools for 1/10 the price on iOS or vice versa try to sell it for much more as desktop plug-in like Nave and the PPG apps.
    Maybe a reason there is a Infinite Pro coming for desktop.

• @Cib said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Cib said:
    Not sure. I think musicians which really want pro music production apps are not the common consumer target.

>

Fab Filters for IOS are pro quality production. Yet are priced at under $50.

At their price they sell to both markets. Upping that price would lose them a lot of sales.

And yet they still seems to make a good living from their desktop market.
    Also without the desktop market non of these Fabfilter tools would exist on iOS and what if iOS sales reduce their main target. They shot themselves. Because of that no AUv3 yet maybe.
    I even think that some developers make a fault and damage their own market to bring the same tools for 1/10 the price on iOS or vice versa try to sell it for much more as desktop plug-in like Nave and the PPG apps.
    Maybe a reason there is a Infinite Pro coming for desktop.

I agree. Look no further than https://www.audiodamage.com/collections/plugin-instruments/products/ad042-axon-2

How can we explain this, assuming it is the same product (same sound quality etc)

1. The price on desktop is either too high, or the price on iOS is too low?
    2. They value the iOS platform at a 10th of the desktop, maybe because of device performance?

@Zen210507 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    None. I’m not wealthy and with unlimited resources. So IOS prices are a blessing at their levels.

>

Agree. I suspect that many of us have only been empowered to make IOS based music because prices are mostly reasonable. As some of the higher priced items show, paying more doesn’t always get better.

Also, it must be remembered, everyone here has already paid a high entrance fee, for their iPad. Apps regularly being $50 and more would kill the ecosystem.

App developers don't receive any money of hardware sales, so what does this have to do with anything? As others have pointed out, apps at this price point have been out there for years, and are among the most powerful and high quality. Entry-level apps and high quality apps can perfectly coexist, it would bring even more musicians to iOS and elevate the ecosystem.

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I’d like to see more advanced modular synths. Something like Softube Modular with many IAP expansions.
    I haven’t tried it myself but it looks/sounds amazing from what I’ve seen on YT/SC..

that's the point - it looks great... ;)
    I have a high quality modular on PC (way more powerfull than Softube's), but barely use it.
    reference: http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1373&lg=en

It takes an enormous amount of time to setup things and fiddling with virtual cables isn't the same as the real deal on Eurorack.
    Seriously - I love the sound this thing can produce and it beats everything(!) on IOS in the modular domain, but I simply lack the time to deal with it.

The 'limited modular approach' like BramBos, Moog, Korg etc is quite cool - the big thing adresses a very small audience.
    There ARE great synths on IOS and it's kind of modular with apps like AUM anyway.

• @JRSIV said:
    I'd pay $50+ for some of the Waves Abbey Road plugs, the Neve, SSL & dbx models of channel strips & EQ's

Waves on iOS would be fun, €99 per plugin with regular €2.99 sales that get extended weeks after the 'last chance to buy' emails!

• edited November 2017

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@JRSIV said:
    I'd pay $50+ for some of the Waves Abbey Road plugs, the Neve, SSL & dbx models of channel strips & EQ's

Waves on iOS would be fun, €99 per plugin with regular €2.99 sales that get extended weeks after the 'last chance to buy' emails!

:D Exact. I never ever would buy a Waves plug-in for full price. Due to all their sales all the time i can´t take them serious anymore.
    Maybe they realize that most good DAW´s come included with all these tools.

• @Telefunky said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I’d like to see more advanced modular synths. Something like Softube Modular with many IAP expansions.
    I haven’t tried it myself but it looks/sounds amazing from what I’ve seen on YT/SC..

I have a high quality modular on PC (way more powerfull than Softube's), but barely use it.

It takes an enormous amount of time to setup things and fiddling with virtual cables isn't the same as the real deal on Eurorack.
    Seriously - I love the sound this thing can produce and it beats everything(!) on IOS in the modular domain, but I simply lack the time to deal with it.

The 'limited modular approach' like BramBos, Moog, Korg etc is quite cool - the big thing adresses a very small audience.
    There ARE great synths on IOS and it's kind of modular with apps like AUM anyway.

Tbh i don't love modular on iOS, dragging virtual cables is better with the mouse and a big screen. I personally think it is skeumorphicism gone too far. Thor for me is the perfect example how a powerful iOS synth should look like, patch creation just goes so fast. And with a AUv3 Thor with a maybe even better engine could be all the synth needed for many people, it is that amazing!

• @Cib said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@JRSIV said:

:D Exact. I never ever would buy a Waves plug-in for full price. Due to all their sales all the time i can´t take them serious anymore.

I broke down while volume matching a lengthy piece of spoken word audio and bought vocal rider for a bit less than €60, full price is almost €300. A few weeks later they put it on the €29 sale, I was slightly annoyed but would have been raging if I had paid full price (which was never going to happen)

• @Telefunky said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

I agree with this. I have Reaktor and tried VCV and they are awesome but often i use just some parts of it. I often see great videos and there are 100´s of cables patched but at the end i hear just "bling, clonk, boing" :D
    I love Reaktor blocks (but very heavy on CPU).
    VCV is great since already there are a lot interesting modules and it should come as VST/AU too in near future.
    It´s still very fresh and the amount of support, tutorials and videos let me think it has a bright future.
    But mostly i prefer really limited modulars which focus on a few things but do they better as everything else like P900, ACE and Bazille. I hope one day the U-he Berlin Modular come to reality and all U-he synths are modules.
    The only modular i really like on iOS is Model 15 but i think i only really could have fun with it on a 12.9" iPad Pro.
    Since the SurfaceBook 2 is a really great device (minus windows on it :) ) maybe Apple come with a real iPad Pro at 15" some day. They just follow the market and not make the rules.

• @Cib said:

@Telefunky said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

I agree with this. I have Reaktor and tried VCV and they are awesome but often i use just some parts of it. I often see great videos and there are 100´s of cables patched but at the end i hear just "bling, clonk, boing" :D
    VCV is great since already there are a lot interesting modules and it should come as VST/AU too in near future.
    It´s still very fresh and the amount of support, tutorials and videos let me think it has a bright future.
    But mostly i prefer really limited modulars which focus on a few things but do they better as everything else like P900, ACE and Bazille. I hope one day the U-he Berlin Modular come to reality and all U-he synths are modules.
    The only modular i really like on iOS is Model 15 but i think i only really could have fun with it on a 12.9" iPad Pro.
    Since the SurfaceBook 2 is a really great device (minus windows on it :) ) maybe Apple come with a real iPad Pro at 15" some day. They just follow the market and not make the rules.

I think this applies to the modular scene in general. They're a different species, maybe even aliens lol. Most of it isn't for me, but i'm not ruling out getting more into it....

• @iOSounddesign said:

@Cib said:

@Telefunky said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

I think this applies to the modular scene in general. They're a different species, maybe even aliens lol. Most of it isn't for me, but i'm not ruling out getting more into it....

Modular tools are a great learning source and the good thing is wherever and on what you use this stuff you always can use this knowledge for other synths and tools. The Model 15 tutorials indeed was the start for me.
    IOS itself was the start in making my own sounds some years ago :)
    The true is i also bought so many apps because they are cheap like hell but then of course i realize that it also can be an illusion if you buy 20 apps to do the same i can do with free tools or which already come within my DAW of choice.
    And back......i would pay 50+ for Sculpture. Maybe still the one instrument which amaze me the most everything i play with it. Those timbre changes are just from out of these world. Only Infinite comes close to those noisescapes it can make.
    It´s my most used Logic instrument for sure.

• PPG Infinite should have a remote companion app that handles just the patch matrix - great reuse for outdated iDevices.
    And one modular thing that would be handy in a similiar way: the matrix of iVCS3.

• I would even consider to pay such an amount to this Sequencer module only from P900 if i can use it everywhere.
    It has really much under the hood and without having to tab in any menus or change the page etc.
    This video really doesn´t show how versatile this thing is but i love it so much. Maybe other arps/sequencer can do similar things but it´s the best thing for me since sliced bread if i compare a simple and easy to use GUI with a lot of complex things going under the hood. I want this as MIDI FX only too.
    A midi out 960 Sequencer module from Moog itself would be fine too of course :)

• NI Maschine 3
    Reason IOS
    Ableton IOS
    Renoise IOS

• @Telefunky said:
    PPG Infinite should have a remote companion app that handles just the patch matrix - great reuse for outdated iDevices.
    And one modular thing that would be handy in a similiar way: the matrix of iVCS3.

Yes! Was just thinking about PPG Infinite's matrix and how it might be more accessible if it was resizable or had its own page. Remote app would be very useful, especially with his VSTs. Infinite is a great app with awesome matrix. I have good eyesight and nimble fingers, but the matrix on Infinite makes the Roland Boutiques feel like 5U modular! It is a tad fiddly and difficult to decipher, in other words. That iPen thingy might help. But the sound possibilities are, erm, infinite!

Herr Palm is great with the updates on his apps, so it's possible. Boy, if the engine of Infinite could be spliced with the interface of Wavemapper... some kind of inter-dimensional wavetable wormhole might open up! :open_mouth:

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Cib said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@JRSIV said:

I broke down while volume matching a lengthy piece of spoken word audio and bought vocal rider for a bit less than €60, full price is almost €300. A few weeks later they put it on the €29 sale, I was slightly annoyed but would have been raging if I had paid full price (which was never going to happen)

What do you make of the software though?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Cib said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@JRSIV said:

Great timesaver for the task I mentioned, you can set it up to go easy on the automation and the voice will often need less or no compression afterwards. You can edit the automation it writes in more detail after and for main vocals you would probably want to in most cases.

Well worth picking up if it goes for 29$ again, there are one or two non waves sites that add an extra little discount on top during these sales. You have to make an account to see prices but often it's another 5$ reduction!

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I’d like to see more advanced modular synths.

Have you checked out Audulus?

• @JRSIV said:
    I'm gonna take this from where I sit right now, a 2yr+ user of iOS for music production, not from the perspective of coming in cold, as a new user of iOS.

I love my Auria's, Cubasis', DrumPerfect's, Model 15's, etc. but as a new user these can be had for under $50, though in my opinion some could command more.

I'm talking app's that I could hear rumblings about, read buzzy discussions on here at the forum & then see on the AppStore sporting a $50 or more buy now price.

•A Melodyne like pitch/time manipulation app. I hate the AutoTune sound, the idea of a singer walking up to a mic where every note will be tuned to +/-0 cent perfection. What I feel a Melodyne or Antares Autotune type software should be used for is minor, unobtrusive pitch correction of a FEW notes extremely out of tune but inside of a brilliant performance. It should be used for creative, unique sound design. Making someone sing something they really can't or fixing someone who shouldn't be singing at all is why these tools have bad raps, used wisely they can be excellent. A real iOS pro style AU of that would be totally worth $50.

•An AU metering app with full db peak meters, RMS, spectrometer, etc. A reliable, accurate & system wide metering facility would be worth $50 easy.

•This one is the fantasy prolly ain't ever hap'nin' choice: Let's say desktop plugin dev's see iOS as the new frontier, especially as iPads increase in power, and the platform gains more music production users to make the companies jump in with AU iOS versions of their wares. I'd pay $50+ for some of the Waves Abbey Road plugs, the Neve, SSL & dbx models of channel strips & EQ's and total wishful thinking, the Universal Audio stuff.

FabFilter and PSP are the two name companies to actually do iOS versions, but to them I assume it was more a partnership with WaveMachine Labs for Auria. IF let's say FabFilter were to bring their plugs to the AU format I would probably pay to use them in other areas than just Auria. BUT I hope if it every happened existing Auria/FabFilter plugin users would get some sort of upgrade pass or at least some consideration for a discount. Let's say at $50 per plugin I'd have reservations about getting any possible AU versions, but if it were $50 to use all of the plugs you already bought in Auria I think I'd bite.

Be cool...

Same here. I’m so ready for an iOS LA-2A and 1176.

• @CracklePot said:

I got it! How about "Bassh Shtation II0II"? (Yeah. Didn't think so.) :)

Only if Sean Connery is on the logo.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@CracklePot said:

That is pretty funny too. I’ve been saying with a really fake French accent.

• @haulin_notes said:

Needs a catchy name. Maybe:
    Bass Ship 101
    Bass Synth II
    Bass Synth 101

Might need your help on names.

Oh, it won't be $50. Probably only $5. B)

Hmmm... how bout "Bass Face 1 0h 1"?
    or... Bassitude. BassAce. The Fighting 101. BassMaster (reel in the fishing fans).
    Bad As Bass (because Apl won't take "Bad ass" :wink: ). Rollin' Bass. House Maus Bass.
    BassBaby. BassRumblr. SubWub 3000. Dubl Trubl Bass.

I'm switching to decaf now. :blush:

Hahahaha, those are good!

REJECTED BASS SYNTH NAMES:

Pigs in Bass

DEEP BASS 9

STAR BASS ONE

BASSed on a true story

ALL YOUR BASS BELONG TO US

Plan 9 from Outer Bass

FOBO (Fear of Bassing out)

• @CracklePot said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@CracklePot said:

That is pretty funny too. I’ve been saying with a really fake French accent.

Hahaha. I'm thinking of the Sean Connery parody from SNL (Saturday Night Live) saying "Bassh Shtation II0II"

• @iOSounddesign said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    iSynplant would be nice on a touchscreen!

https://soniccharge.com/synplant

Lol, WTF what were they smoking? Should absolutely be on a touchscreen and on iOS. Amazing! Charge 50 bucks if you have to but give it to us!!

Indeed. ''Twas way ahead of its time

• @kobamoto said:
    playground with sample import and editing

Samplr with panning , fx motion sequencing, and sample editing within the slot, and if he'd replace the scratcher with some interesting modulation mangling fx mode, and finally midi learn

J. Lilla's beatslicer

That’s it!!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Cib said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@JRSIV said:

LOL, okay @BlueGreenSpiral & @Cib have a point. While I personally never got "got" by Waves seemingly nonsensical sale/discount strategy but know friends who have done exactly what you guys describe...buy a plugin or bundle and then find out days later Waves has it on sale for 75% less than what you paid.

But @JohnnyGoodyear has a point...my personal experience has been great with Waves stuff. It is really top quality stuff. I've been burned on a few sales in iOS but never felt compelled to seek a refund because the apps in question were quality software and in my view 'worth' the price I paid.

I'm not even sure how the return would work, since most third party dealers like Guitar Center & Sweetwater don't accept software return, but if I felt I was burned on a sale & the plugin sucked, I'd feel compelled to see what I could do about being burnt.

• Waves is somewhat overated due to a reputation from ages ago ;)
    I trashed everything by them (including the Gold bundle) that was on my 2nd hand Pro Tools system.

• edited November 2017

A bit sad when i look at the top paid apps in my country. Not one really good music production app in the Top 200.
    In the music category there is ThumbJam on Nr.79.
    Not much going on there.

• @analog_matt said:

@iOSounddesign said:
    A great SH-101 emulation Auv3

Working on it. It's kind of a cross between a Bass Station II and SH101 (Trying to avoid being sued by RLND). Def has some nice analog growl. It's next on my list after we ship FM Player and AudioKit Synth One. I'm a bass player. And, bass apps are near and dear to my heart. I'm kind of OCD and when it comes to sound quality, so, I'm guessing maybe Feb before it's ready for Beta.

Needs a catchy name. Maybe:
    Bass Ship 101
    Bass Synth II
    Bass Synth 101

Might need your help on names.

Oh, it won't be $50. Probably only $5. B)

SHHHH-101....? ;)

• I'd pay Korg $50 just to put a latch button on their apps! Ok, exaggerating somewhat. But really would it hurt anything to put a hold button on Chicago and some other Gadget apps? And iWavestation. Great apps, of course. But as someone mentioned above: iKaossilator. I'd pay to have a bunch of Kaossilators handy simultaneously in Gadget. There is the odd XY pad here and there. But if it was really featured as Instruments, modulations, and effects, it would take it to the next level, IMHO. The sounds of the classic Bebot app are basic, but very expressive. Where is the next Bebot? Apps like like that (and DrumJam) make optimal use of the iPad's strength: SMOOTH SLIDING. It is not really a hitting, pounding type instrument like a piano or LaunchPad. DrumJam allows multiple drum strikes with a slide of the finger.

Another one worth some cash would be a version of Pianoteq for iPad.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I’d like to see more advanced modular synths.

Have you checked out Audulus?

I think that's a great question! I feel too often we're blinded by shiny skeumorphic interfaces, that look like the "real thing", when something great is already right in front of us!