Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps that i would gladly pay 50 €/$/ for:

Comments

• @iOSounddesign The prices can be low at the app store because of the world wide distribution by the app store. Try to accomplish that when you are a indie developer. For a small amount of money every indie developer benefits from the app store. That's the reason why lots of apps exits by start ups.

• That word "gladly." It makes my answer "nothing."

• Polyphonic versions of Mutable Instruments together in one app. Holy cow, just thinking about it...

Some versions (perhaps slightly adapted or reduced) of:
    Diva, Zebra2, RePro, Serum, Icarus, Dune 2, Omnisphere (yea, i know! :smiley: )and the NI stuff.

An app that acts like Patch Morpher for other iPad synth apps. Morphing between presets with lots of control of the details. Maybe acts as a AUv3 host, to throw some effects on as well.

I would have requested an ipad app that does video screens capture on the ipad... but apparently it is now a feature of iOS 11. Gotta try that.

• I’d like to see more advanced modular synths. Something like Softube Modular with many IAP expansions.
    I haven’t tried it myself but it looks/sounds amazing from what I’ve seen on YT/SC..

Speaking of which, has anyone tried the free desktop modular ; VCV Rack ? Just curious how it compares with other modulars like those available on iOS or even Softube.

I don’t yet have any desktop DAW or vst host but thinking about going with a temp free trial of Reaper and picking up a synth or two for $10 a month through slice.com .. looking for something well suited for chillwave/ Jarre type electronica. Not so big into dubstep , so not sure if massive or Serum would be a good choice for me.

• @bert said:
    @iOSounddesign The prices can be low at the app store because of the world wide distribution by the app store. Try to accomplish that when you are a indie developer. For a small amount of money every indie developer benefits from the app store. That's the reason why lots of apps exits by start ups.

Are VSTs only available regionally? And how does the App Store with its 30% fee contribute to the low prices? I guess it has more to do with a very low percentage of piracy and the existing apple id payment infrastructure, that encourages purchases with a button push. Besides that is all not the point. Yours and others fear of higher app prices is quite irrational, there will always be apps at attractive price points. The question is just, what would you be happy to pay 50 bucks for, and so far we had great responses. And maybe this gets noticed, that there is a thirst for top-tier quality on the platform.

Again, on the desktop is tons of amazing free stuff. How do you explain that, have you checked Helm out yet?

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I’d like to see more advanced modular synths. Something like Softube Modular with many IAP expansions.
    I haven’t tried it myself but it looks/sounds amazing from what I’ve seen on YT/SC..

Speaking of which, has anyone tried the free desktop modular ; VCV Rack ? Just curious how it compares with other modulars like those available on iOS or even Softube.

I don’t yet have any desktop DAW or vst host but thinking about going with a temp free trial of Reaper and picking up a synth or two for $10 a month through slice.com .. looking for something well suited for chillwave/ Jarre type electronica. Not so big into dubstep , so not sure if massive or Serum would be a good choice for me.

VCV rack is incredible and just keeps getting better. New modules are coming out all the time and the bugs are getting squashed. I highly recommend.

• Wow just downloading this VCV rack. If this thing works, and grows, it could be gigantic. Open Source??? Amazing times we live in!!

• edited November 2017

@iOSounddesign said:
    A great SH-101 emulation Auv3

Working on it. It's kind of a cross between a Bass Station II and SH101 (Trying to avoid being sued by RLND). Def has some nice analog growl. It's next on my list after we ship FM Player and AudioKit Synth One. I'm a bass player. And, bass apps are near and dear to my heart. I'm kind of OCD and when it comes to sound quality, so, I'm guessing maybe Feb before it's ready for Beta.

Needs a catchy name. Maybe:
    Bass Ship 101
    Bass Synth II
    Bass Synth 101

Might need your help on names.

Oh, it won't be $50. Probably only $5. B)

• @analog_matt said:

@iOSounddesign said:

Working on it. It's kind of a cross between a Bass Station II and SH101 (Trying to avoid being sued by RLND). Def has some nice analog growl. It's next on my list after we ship FM Player and AudioKit Synth One. I'm a bass player. And, bass apps are near and dear to my heart. I'm kind of OCD and when it comes to sound quality, so, I'm guessing maybe Feb before it's ready for Beta.

Bass Ship 101
    Bass Synth II
    Bass Synth 101

Oh, it won't be $50. Probably only $5.

Synth Basie 101

• @analog_matt said:

@iOSounddesign said:

Bass Ship 101
    Bass Synth II
    Bass Synth 101

AMAZING NEWS, thank you! Yes i've heard that Roland doesn't mess around in this area. How about Warp Bass 101? :D

• @iOSounddesign said:
    Wow just downloading this VCV rack. If this thing works, and grows, it could be gigantic. Open Source??? Amazing times we live in

Didn’t even realize it was Open Source! Someone please port it to iOS !! :no_mouth:

I just discovered it yesterday..haven’t had a chance to download, but it looked mighty impressive, so I’m def looking forward to it..— one of the most powerful free synths I’ve heard of.

• edited November 2017

Holy shit this VCV thing is amazing. I am stunned. I just did some basic patch and it looks and sounds incredible. Wow. Un-fucking-believable. It sound so real!

• I've been getting hooked on this too. Amazing initiative.

Source: https://vcvrack.com/
    Plugins (constantly updated): http://www.switchedonrack.com/modules-monitor.html
    Patches: https://patchstorage.com/platform/vcv-rack/
    FB user group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcvrack/

• @gusgranite said:
    I've been getting hooked on this too. Amazing initiative.

Source: https://vcvrack.com/
    Plugins (constantly updated): http://www.switchedonrack.com/modules-monitor.html
    Patches: https://patchstorage.com/platform/vcv-rack/
    FB user group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcvrack/

Thx, ill check those out. And thx @AnimalHeadSpirit for mentioning it in the first place! This is one of these moments where you realize "I have seen the future". If this thing takes off, and everybody contributes modules this could get super crazy. I hope they have multi screen support one day and i'll insta buy another 40" screen lol

• I'm gonna take this from where I sit right now, a 2yr+ user of iOS for music production, not from the perspective of coming in cold, as a new user of iOS.

I love my Auria's, Cubasis', DrumPerfect's, Model 15's, etc. but as a new user these can be had for under $50, though in my opinion some could command more.

I'm talking app's that I could hear rumblings about, read buzzy discussions on here at the forum & then see on the AppStore sporting a $50 or more buy now price.

•A Melodyne like pitch/time manipulation app. I hate the AutoTune sound, the idea of a singer walking up to a mic where every note will be tuned to +/-0 cent perfection. What I feel a Melodyne or Antares Autotune type software should be used for is minor, unobtrusive pitch correction of a FEW notes extremely out of tune but inside of a brilliant performance. It should be used for creative, unique sound design. Making someone sing something they really can't or fixing someone who shouldn't be singing at all is why these tools have bad raps, used wisely they can be excellent. A real iOS pro style AU of that would be totally worth $50.

•An AU metering app with full db peak meters, RMS, spectrometer, etc. A reliable, accurate & system wide metering facility would be worth $50 easy.

•This one is the fantasy prolly ain't ever hap'nin' choice: Let's say desktop plugin dev's see iOS as the new frontier, especially as iPads increase in power, and the platform gains more music production users to make the companies jump in with AU iOS versions of their wares. I'd pay $50+ for some of the Waves Abbey Road plugs, the Neve, SSL & dbx models of channel strips & EQ's and total wishful thinking, the Universal Audio stuff.

FabFilter and PSP are the two name companies to actually do iOS versions, but to them I assume it was more a partnership with WaveMachine Labs for Auria. IF let's say FabFilter were to bring their plugs to the AU format I would probably pay to use them in other areas than just Auria. BUT I hope if it every happened existing Auria/FabFilter plugin users would get some sort of upgrade pass or at least some consideration for a discount. Let's say at $50 per plugin I'd have reservations about getting any possible AU versions, but if it were $50 to use all of the plugs you already bought in Auria I think I'd bite.

Be cool...

• @iOSounddesign said:

@teleb said:
    For GarageBand Pro

you think it wouldn't be called Logic? That could be a gamechanger for the platform with a lot of name recognition...

Well, if they were to port the complete Logic to iOS, of course they'd call it Logic.
    But I assume, even if they wanted to, not sure, whether this was actually possible. Not only would they have to be extremely smart to build ALL the functions into a touch interface, they'd have to be extremely CPU efficient.
    I Probably would not even want all these functions in iOS. Too many options and too many menue points equals to less music creation, this is somehow the way I am constructed. :'(

So GarageBand Pro is fine with me, here some suggestions:

• More MIDI editing, simple things like mute notes und and unmute, for example.
    • Automation of all the essential parameters.
    • Wave form editing, cross fading
    • Flex Pitch and Flex Time
    • Group tracks ( (track folders)
    • Mixer with some more master sends, master track inserts and this kind of stuff.
    • More sounds (40% of the Alchemy presets, for example)
    • Some more options to tweak the sounds, but not 100% of the Alchemy options, please.
    • Tons of Smart Instruments,
    • real guitar strumming Smart Instrument. REAL means real, not a simulation triggering single strings please, unless this sounds like real life technology.
    • Many more patterns/styles for the Smart Instruments.
    • Stable, more powerful integration with Logic for Logic Remote, especially Smart Instruments in Logic, controlled though the iPad.
  • @teleb said:
    For GarageBand Pro

Ahh... now we are talking...

• @teleb said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@teleb said:
    For GarageBand Pro

you think it wouldn't be called Logic? That could be a gamechanger for the platform with a lot of name recognition...

Well, if they were to port the complete Logic to iOS, of course they'd call it Logic.
    But I assume, even if they wanted to, not sure, whether this was actually possible. Not only would they have to be extremely smart to build ALL the functions into a touch interface, they'd have to be extremely CPU efficient.
    I Probably would not even want all these functions in iOS. Too many options and too many menue points equals to less music creation, this is somehow the way I am constructed. :'(

• Mixer with some more master sends, master track inserts and this kind of stuff.
    • Some more options to tweak the sounds, but not 100% of the Alchemy options, please.
    • real guitar strumming Smart Instrument. REAL means real, not a simulation triggering single strings please, unless this sounds like real life technology.
    • Stable, more powerful integration with Logic for Logic Remote, especially Smart Instruments in Logic, controlled though the iPad.

Well i think GarageBand and "Pro" are mutually exclusive, GarageBand was always targeted at beginner/entry level with enough power to achieve nice results. I think it is very popular in education as well.

But i could totally see it, Apple tries hard to position the iPad pro as an alternative to Laptops, they could go crazy with a Logic app exclusively available on the iPad Pro....

• edited November 2017

@bert said:
    I think the reason that de iPad is such a success with musicians is that the apps are not that expensive. Changing that is not a wise thing I think.

Looking at the prices, that already exist in iOS, I wouldn't call it "changing".
    We got apps in that price range already, especially when adding up the IAPs. Animoog got IAPs for over 40€

• @analog_matt said:

@iOSounddesign said:

Bass Ship 101
    Bass Synth II
    Bass Synth 101

I got it! How about "Bassh Shtation II0II"? (Yeah. Didn't think so.) :)

• @iOSounddesign said:

@teleb said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@teleb said:
    For GarageBand Pro

Well i think GarageBand and "Pro" are mutually exclusive, GarageBand was always targeted at beginner/entry level with enough power to achieve nice results. I think it is very popular in education as well.

But i could totally see it, Apple tries hard to position the iPad pro as an alternative to Laptops, they could go crazy with a Logic app exclusively available on the iPad Pro....

And they'd make me buy an iPad Prosince my iPad 2017 would not be powerful enough for this.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    None. I’m not wealthy and with unlimited resources. So IOS prices are a blessing at their levels.

>

Agree. I suspect that many of us have only been empowered to make IOS based music because prices are mostly reasonable. As some of the higher priced items show, paying more doesn’t always get better.

Also, it must be remembered, everyone here has already paid a high entrance fee, for their iPad. Apps regularly being $50 and more would kill the ecosystem.

• Would pay 50 bucks for a Louis Martinez app like funkdrummer with Qualitysounds like ez drummer or addictive pro including a cymbal track.
    His apps are a joy to use.

• edited November 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    None. I’m not wealthy and with unlimited resources. So IOS prices are a blessing at their levels.

>

Agree. I suspect that many of us have only been empowered to make IOS based music because prices are mostly reasonable. As some of the higher priced items show, paying more doesn’t always get better.

Also, it must be remembered, everyone here has already paid a high entrance fee, for their iPad. Apps regularly being $50 and more would kill the ecosystem.

I think that is absolute nonsense. As others have already pointed out, there have been a lot of apps at this price point for years, and high quality ones. And the second part of your argument is even worse, it shows a very warped view of the app economy. The price of admission? How does an app developer profit off Apples hardware sales? They don't.

• pay for this... ;-)

• Needs a catchy name. Maybe:
    Bass Ship 101
    Bass Synth II
    Bass Synth 101

Hmmm... how bout "Bass Face 1 0h 1"?
    or... Bassitude. BassAce. The Fighting 101. BassMaster (reel in the fishing fans).
    Bad As Bass (because Apl won't take "Bad ass" :wink: ). Rollin' Bass. House Maus Bass.
    BassBaby. BassRumblr. SubWub 3000. Dubl Trubl Bass.

I'm switching to decaf now. :blush:

• @freemobil64 said:
    pay for this... ;-)

NICE! Sign me up!

• @Zen210507 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

>

Not sure. I think musicians which really want pro music production apps are not the common consumer target.

• @Cib said:
    Not sure. I think musicians which really want pro music production apps are not the common consumer target.

>

Fab Filters for IOS are pro quality production. Yet are priced at under $50.

At their price they sell to both markets. Upping that price would lose them a lot of sales.

• @teleb said:

@bert said:
    I think the reason that de iPad is such a success with musicians is that the apps are not that expensive. Changing that is not a wise thing I think.

Looking at the prices, that already exist in iOS, I wouldn't call it "changing".
    We got apps in that price range already, especially when adding up the IAPs. Animoog got IAPs for over 40€

That true also and in many cases some desktop plug-ins are cheaper at the end.
    Also not sure how good the market is in iOS. It‘s maybe more easy to create and support an iOS app but as we know developers don‘t get rich mostly and can‘t start to build a big company around this.
    There are also a lot single and small developers in the desktop world which makes a living from it and iOS would kill them maybe.
    I don‘t think iOS is a good market for „pro“ music apps yet or anytime soon.
    The other thing is if Apple brought Logic to iOS it would make most other apps obsolete. It has an unreal price for the content, better FX and tools and whatever.
    I like U-he’s no sale thing. They got that right too.
    These sales all the time even on cheap apps reduce the value. Once you know you get a synth 4x per year for the half you won‘t pay the full price anymore.
    I think the whole app store is not healthy for a future proof thing.