Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• @skiphunt said:
    I'm one of the users not having these problems (other than the not being able to run dozens of the same AU - which doesn't bother me in the slightest).

Honestly, I can't figure out why you keep posting on this thread. I'm glad you don't suffer from the same issues as most of us seem to, but you made your point on page one. You don't use your iPad the way we don't therefore you don't experience the same inconvenience. Got it. Thanks for your input.

I posted earlier in this thread. I already exchanged my first 10.5 for a different one, within the first 14 days of purchase. The replacement still exhibited the same behavior, but it wasn't as severe/frequent, so I tried to convince myself I could live with it. After continuing to follow this thread, I am pretty sure that I am going to go forward with trying for a full refund on the basis of a hardware defect hopefully covered by warranty. I posted a detailed bug report today. Hopefully they will file that with my original one, and the guys at the genius bar took my info and claimed they would use my RMA'd iPad and description to get to the bottom of the issue - and that they might contact me about it. I haven't heard anything from them. I haven't upgraded to 11 yet, but the problem seems to be getting worse. It's about as bad as it was on the original now.

• I was waiting until upgrading to iOS 11 in the hope they would have it fixed by now. Just to be clear, the noise isn't like the crackles you get on older iPads when running a high resource app. This noise comes out of the blue (seemingly) and slowly builds to quite a full on distortion type sound. Something is definitely wrong.

• Is the latency problem on all ipad pros 2017 or is it just in some batches?
    This thread is so long so maybe this question has been asked before. If so my appologies.

• @gleandibson said:

@skiphunt said:
    I'm one of the users not having these problems (other than the not being able to run dozens of the same AU - which doesn't bother me in the slightest).

Honestly, I can't figure out why you keep posting on this thread. I'm glad you don't suffer from the same issues as most of us seem to, but you made your point on page one. You don't use your iPad the way we don't therefore you don't experience the same inconvenience. Got it. Thanks for your input.

I posted earlier in this thread. I already exchanged my first 10.5 for a different one, within the first 14 days of purchase. The replacement still exhibited the same behavior, but it wasn't as severe/frequent, so I tried to convince myself I could live with it. After continuing to follow this thread, I am pretty sure that I am going to go forward with trying for a full refund on the basis of a hardware defect hopefully covered by warranty. I posted a detailed bug report today. Hopefully they will file that with my original one, and the guys at the genius bar took my info and claimed they would use my RMA'd iPad and description to get to the bottom of the issue - and that they might contact me about it. I haven't heard anything from them. I haven't upgraded to 11 yet, but the problem seems to be getting worse. It's about as bad as it was on the original now.

I post to let others know not everyone is having this problem. Perhaps most in this thread, it some are not. Sorry you’re having trouble with your second one. I’d just get a refund if I were you. I also qualify and quantify my reply with acknowledgement that I do have the issue where you can’t run tons of the same AU instances, but that one thing isn’t something that effects my use.

Sorry you’re having a rough experience with this, and good luck for a smooth refund process. Sounds like sticking with the Air2 for now might be your best option.

• @skiphunt said:

@gleandibson said:

@skiphunt said:

I post to let others know not everyone is having this problem. Perhaps most in this thread, it some are not. Sorry you’re having trouble with your second one. I’d just get a refund if I were you. I also qualify and quantify my reply with acknowledgement that I do have the issue where you can’t run tons of the same AU instances, but that one thing isn’t something that effects my use.

Sorry you’re having a rough experience with this, and good luck for a smooth refund process. Sounds like sticking with the Air2 for now might be your best option.

Thing is though I get his point. We know you aren't having issues. But posting every few pages isn't necessary. Also other than you and maybe 2 others almost everyone else has issues. Not to mention this is the thread for the 12.9 models. something you do not own. I returned my 12.9 since it was horrible. The 10.5 doesn't even have half the issues it has.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gleandibson said:

@skiphunt said:

Thing is though I get his point. We know you aren't having issues. But posting every few pages isn't necessary. Also other than you and maybe 2 others almost everyone else has issues. Not to mention this is the thread for the 12.9 models. something you do not own. I returned my 12.9 since it was horrible. The 10.5 doesn't even have half the issues it has.

Good luck with all this. Cheers

• 10.5 has the buffer breaking wall of noise. waiting for 11.1 to drop..

• Are you noticing the distortion issue after a plugin crashes? I was investigating my own issues with 10.5” where loading too many instances of a plugin would cause the plungin to be killed for memory issues (more of an iOS limit on how much ram could be allocated to the master instance process since there was plenty of ram available). When it would crash all of my audio would distort until I killed the DAW. While this was going on I was monitoring console logs and could see tons of this coreaudio error. It would even distort audio of apps that were playing in the background that weren’t using audiobus or IAA. Once the DAW was killed the other apps played back fine. It’s odd because you would think a DAW/plugin issue couldn’t impact playback of audio coming from Spotify, Tidal etc.

You can check my logs here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/395402/#Comment_395402

• The main question is: does this happens also with audio interfaces (MFi or CCK)? Or only when using the heaphone jack?

• @rezidue said:
    Are you noticing the distortion issue after a plugin crashes? I was investigating my own issues with 10.5” where loading too many instances of a plugin would cause the plungin to be killed for memory issues (more of an iOS limit on how much ram could be allocated to the master instance process since there was plenty of ram available). When it would crash all of my audio would distort until I killed the DAW. While this was going on I was monitoring console logs and could see tons of this coreaudio error. It would even distort audio of apps that were playing in the background that weren’t using audiobus or IAA. Once the DAW was killed the other apps played back fine. It’s odd because you would think a DAW/plugin issue couldn’t impact playback of audio coming from Spotify, Tidal etc.

You can check my logs here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/395402/#Comment_395402

No, it doesn't seem to be related to how much of anything is running. The other night it happened with AB3 and Phasemaker- one of the lighter feeling synths I use.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems to happen while "knob twiddling". I may start logging the circumstances around each crash.

• Yesteday Apple replaced my dead ipad pro with a new one. I upgraded this new unit to IOS11 and, using DRC only, for the first time I got crackles on an EXTERNAL usb interface. This could be a good news, meaning that the issue is software and not hardware.

• @theconnactic said:
    The main question is: does this happens also with audio interfaces (MFi or CCK)? Or only when using the heaphone jack?

Doesn't occur with my Agogee One V2 interface...
    But, occurs with lightning/3.5mm adapter and headphones...?

• @theconnactic said:
    The main question is: does this happens also with audio interfaces (MFi or CCK)? Or only when using the heaphone jack?

As I have mentioned in a prev post.
    I definitely had this issue on external sound cards (connected via usb to lighting adapter)
    I also suspect this is not all 10.5 ipads, but i can't say 100% sure and I do not have any technical theory as to why.
    I had a 10.5 non lte and recorded a small cubasis demo on it, can not remember this issue, I only exchanged of an lte to get the built in gps.

• Apple is often hard of hearing, but they must have heard by now!

• If it’s a firmware issue makes sense it’s addressed in 11.1
    here’s hoping!!

• Just had BM3 running for an hour via lightning to usb into my M-Audio Venom, all was fine no latency nor noise breakup. After closing BM3 I went to make a coffee returned to find the iPad 10.5 stuck on the Apple boot logo, I then switched it off, it returned to the lock screen indicating 1% battery remaining. So I did a complete shutdown and re-boot when it returned to the lock screen it indicated 84% battery, which sounded correct as the iPad was fully charged when I started.

I also tested my Yamaha Bluetooth MDUD-BT01 dongle and that's working fine.

• Apple would respond more quickly if there were videos illustrating the problem, posted on social media.

• edited September 2017

A solution would be to sell future iPads without that pesky jack socket - no, that would be silly, wouldn’t it!

• I wonder if this is somehow related to the a10 chip devices (iPhone 7 and 7 plus) having no headphone jack. The new iPad Pros use the 10x, which is of course based on the 10.

• edited September 2017

I have a 12.9 2017 and still not sure I'm affected. So far no latency issues or sound degradation but I haven't pushed it too far either. I had one that had the problem, but this replacement so far seems fine.

edit: I do get a fair amount of crackles in modstep when loading more than a few apps but that is an issue unrelated to the headphone jack and clearly a software issue

• Interestingly, Apple pulled their latest AudioUnit sample code (released WWDC 2017) which introduced variable sized AUs, and reverted to the previous version (released late 2016).

Fingers crossed that they are aware of the issues we've faced and are working on a fix...

• just got a Pro 10.5 inch, once I had it all set up I immediately experienced the insane latency problems and build up of noise in cubasis using only one instance of Ripplemaker and an audio damage au ( eos2 )
    barely two tracks!! also experiencing wierd stubborn knob behaviour in Gadget especially module which seems like its some graphic to audio latency thing. I have done the apple feedback form thing explaining there is definitely a fault on this new line of pro's and it is widely reported.. I got mine 2nd hand, but it seems this bargain is a pig in a poke, will be a big problem to return so fingers crossed we don't have to go all the way to class action!

• @RockySmalls said:
    just got a Pro 10.5 inch, once I had it all set up I immediately experienced the insane latency problems and build up of noise in cubasis using only one instance of Ripplemaker and an audio damage au ( eos2 )
    barely two tracks!! also experiencing wierd stubborn knob behaviour in Gadget especially module which seems like its some graphic to audio latency thing. I have done the apple feedback form thing explaining there is definitely a fault on this new line of pro's and it is widely reported.. I got mine 2nd hand, but it seems this bargain is a pig in a poke, will be a big problem to return so fingers crossed we don't have to go all the way to class action!

If class action is needed then that's what has to be, it's all up to Apple to sort this situation out, for me I'm going to do whatever it takes.

• @RockySmalls Did the unplug/reinsert jack trick get rid of the latency etc?

• @Voicey said:
    @RockySmalls Did the unplug/reinsert jack trick get rid of the latency etc?

only temporarily.. got rid of the noise for sure..

• I have to give it a hammering with some all-in-one apps like Caustic etc to see if it's isolated to use of AU/iaa stuff in Daws..
    loving the screen and the 500gb but at the moment I am very nervous even at the bargain 2nd hand price it's a big expense..
    btw.. it's wifi & cellular.. I was actually only after wifi, seller didn't list it as cellular so it seemed an even bigger bargain once i'd paid 8.99 to get it unlocked from EE..
    that smugness has been deftly wet-wiped off my face now! :)

• I'm going to the Genius Bar tomorrow, and will report back.

• If you are having a problem, please post in this thread on the Apple support community:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8005718?start=60&tstart=0

• Has anybody experienced these problems when working in a self-contained app? (Groovebox, Auxy, etc..)

• @nrgb said:
    Has anybody experienced these problems when working in a self-contained app? (Groovebox, Auxy, etc..)

My first encounter with the latency was using Model 15.