Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• edited August 2017

Chasing, that makes it look like an ios or AudioKit problem that Apple hasn't fixed yet. Either Apple doesn't care about audio, or it's something difficult to put right. Seems associated with the jack in someway, so this be why the iphone 7 strangely lost the jack?
    Does the unplug/plug jack trick solve your problem?

• I confirm that I had the same problem with modstep. After playing with auv3 unit several minutes I encountered the same latency and noises with the headphone plugged. EVerything turn back ok when I unplugged the headphone and plug it again. IPad pro 12.9 2017. Hope It will be corrected.

• please feedback to Apple

• edited August 2017

Edited

• edited August 2017

@chasingdogma said:
    iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen user here. I've had the same issues with the headphone jack on my device for two or three months. Doesn't just occur in audio apps either.... YouTube does it. Switching apps makes it stutter horribly and sends CPU cycles through the roof in AUM… This is a leased device and still has AppleCare active. Should I pursue exchanging it or is it the OS?

Same iPad, no issues. I think this only affect the newer versions. When this thread started I did a lot of tests on my device, I’m not seeing it at all.

• @crifytosp said:
    please feedback to Apple

I have contacted Apple and they first advice me 2 things :
    1) try an other headphone.
    2) contact third party apps developper
    They want to check if it is a software or hardware problem...
    I have tried one more tonight with Modstep and an instance of iSem, Ruismaker and Poison 202 ; same problem of latency but no noise. I unplug and plug again the headphone and the latency desappear. And it works very fine after that...
    Tomorrow I will try an other headphone. Cheers...

• awesome, which version of iOS are you running?

• @crifytosp said:
    awesome, which version of iOS are you running?

• ah, dived into the betas but so far no fix

• I've been hearing some negative stuff about ipad pro. What gives. Is it just a shitty piece of hardware?

• hardly, has an issue where after an hour of audio apps a swarm of bees arrive that lasts for thirty seconds.

• hope everyone’s reported this.. ;)

• I have tried two different 12.9 iPad Pros over the last few weeks that apparently have different issues with audio. The first one definitely had the latency issue. It also had a display issue so I returned it.
    I got a new one and this one does not appear to have the latency bug. At least, I have not been able to trigger it yet.

It does have audio degradation with some auv3 after a while, especially inside mod step. And I had one occurrence where after about 45 min of music making (with no latency issues) the touchscreen became totally unresponsive. No touch events where registering at all.

I'll do more testing but it seems to be not exactly the same problem for all the new iPad Pros.

• had the latency issue in a few audio apps when the iPad was new three weeks ago. not any more though, just bees. public beta 5

• had the latency issue in a few audio apps when the iPad was new three weeks ago. not any more though, just bees.

• @crifytosp said:
    had the latency issue in a few audio apps when the iPad was new three weeks ago. not any more though, just bees.

This has been my experience. Got the new iPad Pro 10.5 about 2.5 weeks ago. Restored my backup, updated everything, etc. Then saw this thread and got worried there might be something wrong with it. Noticed the latency thing, that was resolved with some memory resets.... and I can't say I've seen it appear again since. In my case, I'm guessing maybe it had more to do with everything getting seated after the restore, or maybe re-indexing the spotlight in the background. No idea though, but I haven't noticed anything else that has caused any concern, other than not being able to run 5 Billion instances of the same AU on track. ;)

• Any updates on this in ios 11 beta 7?

• edited August 2017

I have the same attitude as @skiphunt. Looking forwards to iOS 11+ and appropriate updates of audio apps, but as I'm much more interested in composing than sound design, I'm very happy with my 10.5". OK, it's a bit silly having to unplug/reinsert the jack when not using my iTrack dock, but I can live with that, and I really don't need scores of the same plugin to complicate composing. Just discovering the excellent video/photo apps for making music videos, and the vj apps are in their infancy but will soon start using the power of the new iPad Pros :-)

To be honest though, my Air 2/128 was enough - for the mo. If the jack/latency bug worries you, and you are happy with your Air 2, I suggest you wait a bit before upgrading. If you're the sort that prefers ios 7 because you're afraid of new problems, then definitely stay away ;-)

• @Voicey said:
    I have the same attitude as @skiphunt. Looking forwards to iOS 11+ and appropriate updates of audio apps, but as I'm much more interested in composing than sound design, I'm very happy with my 10.5". OK, it's a bit silly having to unplug/reinsert the jack when not using my iTrack dock, but I can live with that, and I really don't need scores of the same plugin to complicate composing. Just discovering the excellent video/photo apps for making music videos, and the vj apps are in their infancy but will soon start using the power of the new iPad Pros :-)

To be honest though, my Air 2/128 was enough - for the mo.

the 12.9 has bigger issues than the 10.5. It can roughly run around half the au instances you can. So while you 10.5 users might be happy imagine having half your current performance when you paid significantly more for your device. That being said ios11 might have fixed these issues in the latest beta so here's hoping :)

• edited August 2017

@gonekrazy3000 hoping your investment will soon be worthwhile for your needs. Apart from the need to unplug/reinsert the jack, my 10.5" is THE ipad for so many reasons, and I bet your 12.9" is too for the same reasons.

Do you also get the multiple au plugin restriction when not using the jack? I hope Apple considers we are worth getting this fixed. It must be driving you 6000 krazy ;-)

• @Voicey said:
    @gonekrazy3000 hoping your investment will soon be worthwhile for your needs. Apart from the need to unplug/reinsert the jack, my 10.5" is THE ipad for so many reasons, and I bet your 12.9" is too for the same reasons.

Do you also get the multiple au plugin restriction when not using the jack? I hope Apple considers we are worth getting this fixed.

i actually returned my 12.9. the restrictions were too much for me. at max i could run 2 instances of some AUs. and that was basically the straw that broke the camels back for me. will wait to see if performance gets fixed before i rebuy. for now i'm happy with my old reliable Air2.

• edited August 2017

@gonekrazy3000 - yes, the problem on your 12.9" is unacceptable! Was it jack related? Patience man :-)

• I was planning to upgrade to the newest 12.9" but it seems like a good idea to wait it out until the problems get fixed.

• @Voicey said:
    @gonekrazy3000 - yes, the problem on your 12.9" is unacceptable! Was it jack related? Patience man :-)

To be honest the jack stuff went away using the workaround posted earlier. This was more a fundamental problem on it in general. Regardless whether you used headphones or not it could run roughly 1/8th as many Au as my Air2. Which was just plain stupid. While a few like @brambos apps didn't have this restriction the fact it underperformed against my air2 meant I just couldn't hold onto it.

• edited August 2017

Seems as though there was a change in audiokit due to a change in ios 10+ and the latest pros, and that only a few app devs had updated for. Poor devs - maybe they're waiting for yet more changes in ios 11 so they can update appropriately for both oldish and newer ipads.

• Just wanted to update my original post concerning latency and crackles on an iPad Pro 10.5", this time using only the headphone jack plugged into a powered speaker without a MIDI controller using the Lightning connector.

Tonight I went through all of the presets of Zeeon and Korg iMono/Poly during TV commercial breaks which lasted 2 hours. At no time did I experience any latency using the onboard keyboards or any crackles, glitches, etc. that some have reported.

Not sure if this means anything to anybody but still wanted to report my experience nonetheless.

• @Keebo - thanks :-)
    Any beta8 testers allowed to say anything about the problems discussed?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

To be honest the jack stuff went away using the workaround posted earlier. This was more a fundamental problem on it in general. Regardless whether you used headphones or not it could run roughly 1/8th as many Au as my Air2. Which was just plain stupid. While a few like @brambos apps didn't have this restriction the fact it underperformed against my air2 meant I just couldn't hold onto it.

So do you mean even if all the AUs are different you can run less AUs on the 12.9 pro 2017 or are we talking about just multiple instances of the same AU have issues?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Do you have an example I could try (host / plugs?) I have the 12.9 and my air 2 to compare.

• confirm crackles on the latest beta (10.5)