Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• So i cancelled my iPad 10.5" buy for now. :(
    Maybe it's better to invest in other things first and wait how it goes....

• I experienced this for the first time today.

iPad 10.5 - iOS 11

• @lnikj said:
    Yes, still there, and so is the multiple AU instance problem :(

Have you tried with latest AUM? It has a work-around for the AU RAM allocation issue in iOS.

That won't help if the AU actually does use too much RAM though. I think the limit is about 300MB per process (AU plugins share one process for all its instances in a particular host).

• This is massively frustrating, both for latency and AU. How can we get someone at Apple to hear us?
    Hope everyone has submitted official bug reports, I know I have.

• Latency seems worse to me in cubasis so far
    Using neo soul keys, reslice and beathawk as AUs

Comes back within a few minutes of unplugging/replugging like usual

What a joke this $1100 iPad Pro I bought is!
    My iPad mini2would be playing back gadget or cubasis fine right now

Should of bought that digitact instead I think now

• @j_liljedahl said:

@lnikj said:
    Yes, still there, and so is the multiple AU instance problem :(

Have you tried with latest AUM? It has a work-around for the AU RAM allocation issue in iOS.

That won't help if the AU actually does use too much RAM though. I think the limit is about 300MB per process (AU plugins share one process for all its instances in a particular host).

I have now. Looks like a fix there. Many thanks Jonatan.

• @willhindson said:
    This is massively frustrating, both for latency and AU. How can we get someone at Apple to hear us?

I agree. This is what is most frustrating - the utter facelessness of Apple. Who knows if it is being looked at :(

• @lnikj said:

@willhindson said:
    This is massively frustrating, both for latency and AU. How can we get someone at Apple to hear us?

I agree. This is what is most frustrating - the utter facelessness of Apple. Who knows if it is being looked at :(

a guy going by Clivey Clive posted on the ipad musician facebook page yesterday this:
    "Spoke to Apple Shop yesterday and they've confirmed there's an "audio glitch" on iPad Pro's - namely audio pops and buzzes when changing settings, presets or selecting different menu options
    Apparently a few solutions include Accessibility - reduce animations (lowers screen refresh) or a more extreme full factory reset
    Apparently older Pro models and the current iPad don't have this problem
    Currently there's an issue that needs fixing - possibly hardware or software or perhaps even a faulty component - maybe even sabotage done by disgruntled factory staff in China?
    Worst case scenario could be Apple recalling and phasing out the new iPad Pro models as they've confirmed they've received loads of complaints from disgruntled customers"**

ignore the line about disgruntled factory staff...

• @Halftone said:

@lnikj said:

@willhindson said:

a guy going by Clivey Clive posted on the ipad musician facebook page yesterday this:
    "Spoke to Apple Shop yesterday and they've confirmed there's an "audio glitch" on iPad Pro's - namely audio pops and buzzes when changing settings, presets or selecting different menu options
    Apparently a few solutions include Accessibility - reduce animations (lowers screen refresh) or a more extreme full factory reset
    Apparently older Pro models and the current iPad don't have this problem
    Currently there's an issue that needs fixing - possibly hardware or software or perhaps even a faulty component - maybe even sabotage done by disgruntled factory staff in China?
    Worst case scenario could be Apple recalling and phasing out the new iPad Pro models as they've confirmed they've received loads of complaints from disgruntled customers"**

ignore the line about disgruntled factory staff...

Thanks for that. The "worst case scenario" might be the best case scenario from where I am standing.

• I think it might be a good idea to remove the 'temporarily solved' from the thread title so we can point Apple to it when we log our complaints with them responding that we have found a solution.

• @gusgranite said:
    I think it might be a good idea to remove the 'temporarily solved' from the thread title so we can point Apple to it when we log our complaints with them responding that we have found a solution.

Fixed!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@gusgranite said:
    I think it might be a good idea to remove the 'temporarily solved' from the thread title so we can point Apple to it when we log our complaints with them responding that we have found a solution.

Fixed!

Thanks @ErrkaPetti - this issue is very frustrating! Appreciate your thread capturing the details.

• I'm still not having the problems described in this thread with my 10.5. I can't load dozens of the same AU into Modstep, but I don't really do that anyway. And AUM has fixed that completely. I don't noticed any latency and I don't get these cracks and pops described. I'm not really pushing extremely hard either. I've never got more than 4-5 channels in AUM or tracks in Auria Pro. I never use more than about 4-5 sound apps at once anyway. And I never play around with it for more than an hour or two at the most.

That being said, the main reasons I upgraded was for more space, a little bigger screen while still being very portable, more CPU speed and more ram for Affinity Photo and editing 4K video in Lumafusion. I don't use an iPad as a piece of industrial-level professional gear for live performance. I mess around with weird sound design stuff and mostly screw around for the joy of it.

Maybe for some of you the iOS platform isn't really suited for your needs? Perhaps there are industrial-level gear that's designed specifically for what you're looking for? Frankly, I don't think the iPad was ever really designed with the idea of being used like some of you want to use it. I'm not a professional live performing musician, but to me the iPad was always just meant for consuming content... and then evolved into an impressive performer that could eventually serve professional use. And, eventually replace a laptop. My guess is that Apple isn't spending a lot of time focussing on this particular niche, as it's likely not as large a demographic as some of you think it might be.

So, for my stated use (Motion/Visual & fun with sound design), the 10.5 256GB been a dream to use and everything I hoped for. :)

• @ErrkaPetti Agree thanks so much for starting/keeping this thread alive. I will be testing soon.

@skiphunt Glad to hear you aren't having any problems with your unit. I have same model 10.5 / 256gb. Perhaps everyone is asking too much from an iPad but I don't really think so TBH. In Canada my model was over $1000 so if a decent laptop can produce music in a almost glitch free way then no reason the iPad shouldn't be held to the same expectation. This is especially true for the 'Pro' model.

Also, I am not trying to start conflict, but want to merely point out editing video in 4K is way more computationally intense than playing on a simple synth like iSem or the Roli Noise app. So to say ios isn't suited for the needs of this thread takes the owness away from Apple (which in this thread is very much what we are trying to do and I think everyone is justified in that) and put it on the customer. We are talking about very light and simple apps that cannot be played without an insane amount of latency building up. Consider older, weaker, iPads do not have this problem.

So, again not trying to cause an argument but the idea that ios is not for the people in this thread undermines the whole purpose of the thread, which is clearly justified. I mean imagine if your affinity photo exports had big digital aliasing in them upon export in random places all the time OR if your 4k video editing was OK but sometimes the exported files would stutter and produce a bunch of digital noise in the picture. I would label the iPad as unusable for that purpose as I wouldn't share glitchy files with anyone. We also see the latency in garage band which is an Apple app. That means we can't even hide behind the third party app being bad programming argument.

The iPad is absolutely designed and marketed to make music in a 'Pro' fessional way. It's not us here that have unreasonable expectations, this is clearly a software or hardware glitch. It is broken and it is not functioning how it should or is advertised. That HAS to be addressed and fixed by Apple.

Sorry if I came off so serious but this can be a tactic of large companies like Apple to make the consumer the problem in order to maximize profits and not process fix that is required. In this case it is clearly not true. Nothing against you at all (I follow this thread and appreciate your input) just don't want people to fall into the thinking that this is somehow on them and not Apple. Also, I'm bummed the people in this thread did not get a fix in the ios 11 update. That was a hold out from Apple for any issues about these models.

Most of all I'm super jealous that your unit is working so well :wink:

• edited September 2017

@trip96 Oh no, didn't want to incite an argument either. And yes, these are expensive toys for sure. In my opinion they're way over-priced. I don't think the top end iPad Pro should be over $600 personally.

And yes, for what they charge and how they market them... they should be top-tier performers. I'm afraid that's likely more marketing BS and not reality quite yet.

I didn't get rid of my Air 2. My wife claimed it before I could sell it. ;) I should load some apps on it, or play with it a little bit to see just how much more I like this Pro than the Air 2. But, my gut tells me the Air 2 is still the value sweet-spot and the most reliable of all the iPads available at the moment. If absolute reliability for loads of music apps was my goal, I'd stick with the Air 2. It's not my goal, so for visual/motion stuff... Apple is obviously giving that sort of work more love right now.

And I also agree... if these iPad Pros are capable of incredible visual work, including motion at 4K... then I'm guessing the sound stuff should be a breeze. Maybe Apple made design decisions more heavily tilted toward the Visual/Motion demographic, and didn't pay as much attention to professional sound as we all believe they should have?

• It’s basically unusable for any music production

I get latency pops crackles from just three midi tracks playing
    Very very light use.

the fact that far older less powerful models handle the same tasks with no issues
    Unacceptable

• I'm going to start timing and tracking this as my perception is that the noise happens under very light usage (like single app usage). It also seems to come out of the blue without an obvious high resource trigger.

Time for some data which is a pain but necessary.

• I just made a Genius Bar appointment for next week, just to make some noise.

• @johnfromberkeley - good idea. Maybe others could too if the trip isn’t far, then we’d have an aggregated response from Apple people.
    I won’t be going though, as I only use the jack for cans when working on basic composition and tidying up. The unplug-reinsert jack solution is quite sufficient for me. And the problem hasn’t appeared when using my iTrack dock (lightning).
    (If I don’t do the simple jack fix, there’s growing latency even with very light use and low cpu usage.)

• edited September 2017

I haven't tried my new iPad Pro 12.9 with headphones yet but I am getting ocassional cracklings and popping coming from the built in speakers when I am playing audio on BM3.

• edited September 2017

I can only confirm problems in audio apps like Cubasis and Auria on ipad pro 10.5 256 LTE also problems in ios 11.
    Sound breaks up, sometimes into loud digital noise (dangerous for the hearing actually), this happens also on external usb interfaces, so nothing to do with headphone jack.
    Have used cubasis on pad Air 2 never had these issues.
    Actually I only saw it in Auria in ios 11 then I rushed to return it in time, so I can not say 100% it is also in cubasis in ios 11, but seems like general problem.
    Will consider it if there is a confirmed fix for these issues.

• @asl77 said:
    I can only confirm problems in audio apps like cubasis and auria on ipad pro 10.5 256 LTE also on ios 11.
    Sound breaks up, sometimes into loud digital noise (dangerous for the hearing actually), this happens also on external usb interfaces, so nothing to do with headphone jack.
    Returned it.

This is all very depressing news.

I'm off to the genius bar next week for a problem with my MBP 2017 (performance issues related to After Effects, Cinema 4D, Premiere and Logic Pro X). I'll be taking my iPad Pro with me too if I get some time testing it over the weekend.

So am I right in thinking the temp fix by the original poster - doesn't work anymore (plugging out and plugging back in?)

asl77 - in regards to your return - was this returned within the 2x week period or after? I just wondered what my rights are for return items with problems like this.

• @Thelast27 said:

@asl77 said:
    I can only confirm problems in audio apps like cubasis and auria on ipad pro 10.5 256 LTE also on ios 11.
    Returned it.

This is all very depressing news.

I'm off to the genius bar next week for a problem with my MBP 2017 (performance issues related to After Effects, Cinema 4D, Premiere and Logic Pro X). I'll be taking my iPad Pro with me too if I get some time testing it over the weekend.

So am I right in thinking the temp fix by the original poster - doesn't work anymore (plugging out and plugging back in?)

asl77 - in regards to your return - was this returned within the 2x week period or after? I just wondered what my rights are for return items with problems like this.

@Thelast27
    I returned within the return period yes, so I admit I did not spend much time experimenting with the suggested solution. It is a too expensive device to have for me if it does not work 100% for these things, if it was not for the audio apps I would not buy an ipad.
    And these bugs seems to have been reported months ago first time, I did not know off course.
    A thing like this should get a fix sooner rather than later.
    One thing that also seems strange is that I get the impression that not everyone seems to have these problems(?), I had a non LTE version of the 10.5 for short while and did not notice this problem, but did not use the audio apps that much either. One would also think the developers of the apps would notice this pretty fast.
    But Steinberg (cubasis) said they have not seen this.

My old macbook pro 2011 stopped working (my fault prob.), I have become a bit skeptical of Apple quality (and there product configurations) lately so not running to buy a new one yet.. But I might get a new ipad 10.5 if this is confirmed fixed, it is a nice device however pretty expensive.

• edited September 2017

I'm one of the users not having these problems (other than the not being able to run dozens of the same AU - which doesn't bother me in the slightest).

Someone asked... Mine is the NON-LTE version. Wifi only.

Here's something I don't understand... for those of you who feel you have a new iPad Pro that isn't performing as expected, why not just send it back? It's got a year warranty. If it's hardware related like some of you seem to believe it is, can't you just demand Apple either fix your iPad, or give you your money back if they can't?

I've not had any issues with latency or noise either. But, if I did I'd send it back to have Apple fix or refund.

As stated before, I'm thrilled with mine. The new Procreate 4 is incredible on the new machine, and Affinity Photo runs perfectly flawless for me now.

• I used to be able to send music through wifi to my vdsl modem and attached hifi system, also video to the tv through the same system. It no longer works in ios 11 on my 10.5 » as you can see the inch sign on the keyboard doesn’t appear normally. So software change of what is allowed, plus a keyboard bug.

• edited September 2017

I had some mild latency in Animoog last night, but a quick out/in with the headphones and the problem disappeared again. Dunno what causes it, but mine seems very low level and occasional compared with some of you guys.

• edited September 2017

For the record: went to the apple store this morning to re-test the new 12.9” since iOS 11 came out. Closed all apps and reset the ram, then plugged in headphones and started a garageband session. Built up a few tracks and after about ~5 minutes tried adding some more drums but they were unplayable due to latency. Unplugged/replugged headphones and the latency was gone. Simple fix for an unacceptable problem. Frustrating.

• @willhindson said:
    For the record: went to the apple store this morning to re-test the new 12.9” since iOS 11 came out. Closed all apps and reset the ram, then plugged in headphones and started a garageband session. Built up a few tracks and after about ~5 minutes tried adding some more drums but they were unplayable due to latency. Unplugged/replugged headphones and the latency was gone. Simple fix for an unacceptable problem. Frustrating.

Did you ask any member of staff about the test?

• No, it was too busy on Saturday afternoon to talk to anyone. Also this is “Eplehuset” which is not actually an Apple Store, but the nearest thing to it in Norway, so not sure how much influence they would have. I’ll try again though another day.

• @willhindson thank you for replying, I understand, they may have only given a vague opinion anyway, from other people whom have asked in store, this seems to be the trend, they know of the problem, but that's about it.