Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• edited August 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:
    I've had my 10.5 pro for almost 2 weeks now. Although I vaguely noticed some of what could be called latency with BM3, etc. within the first couple of days of having the new iPad, I haven't noticed any more issues since. No latency at all. I'm guessing that maybe my new install was getting slowed down by the fresh install/restore and iOS search function was re-indexing everything in the background.

After several hours, I can sometimes notice a bit of audio/crackling, but a memory clear takes care of it without having to plug/unplug, or do any magical dances. For me, there's no latency issues at all, other than ArtRage stylus tracking at full screen, but that's ONLY that one app and isn't effected at all by any of my other graphics apps. So, certainly just an ArtRage bug.

Maybe I got lucky, but my new 10.5 iPad pro has been 99.9% trouble-free thus far.

I'm genuinely curious. Can you run more than 3 Instances of any Au I n AUM ? So far it seems that trying to run more than 3 instances of quatromod, etc can cause crashes. While my air2 has no problems with 8 instances.

Funny you should ask... I was playing with Shoom in AUM earlier today. I had 4 AUs of Quatromod going on the same channel (each different, chorus, diffuser, flanger, freqshift) AND I also had 2 instances AUs of Replicant 2 going on the same AUM channel. No problems at all.

So far on the thread here:- https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/20439/trouble-starting-several-au-instances/p1 it's been mostly the 12.9 users reporting crashes. Maybe the 10.5 is less crash happy. I'm curious. Can you go beyond 8 instances of quatromod ?
    I've managed 4 instances of phosphor, 4 instances of replicant and 8 instances of quatromod with no issues on my Air2. The pro should be able to at least double that.
    Also. The crashes happen when on multiple channels. Could you test with 4 channels in AUM at least ?

I really need to get off the computer and iPad... as well as the internet for a little while to grab some sunshine, etc. but I'll try to max it out with loads of AUs later. I'll load up 4-5 channels in AUM with 4-5 AUs each. I'll keep them all Audio Damage AUs, because so far they seem to be very clean/stabile code. I'll let you know if I can crash AUM. I've also got Auria Pro and BM3, but AUs crashing either one of those DAWs wouldn't likely tell you anything. ;)

• edited August 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:
    I've had my 10.5 pro for almost 2 weeks now. Although I vaguely noticed some of what could be called latency with BM3, etc. within the first couple of days of having the new iPad, I haven't noticed any more issues since. No latency at all. I'm guessing that maybe my new install was getting slowed down by the fresh install/restore and iOS search function was re-indexing everything in the background.

After several hours, I can sometimes notice a bit of audio/crackling, but a memory clear takes care of it without having to plug/unplug, or do any magical dances. For me, there's no latency issues at all, other than ArtRage stylus tracking at full screen, but that's ONLY that one app and isn't effected at all by any of my other graphics apps. So, certainly just an ArtRage bug.

Maybe I got lucky, but my new 10.5 iPad pro has been 99.9% trouble-free thus far.

I'm genuinely curious. Can you run more than 3 Instances of any Au I n AUM ? So far it seems that trying to run more than 3 instances of quatromod, etc can cause crashes. While my air2 has no problems with 8 instances.

Funny you should ask... I was playing with Shoom in AUM earlier today. I had 4 AUs of Quatromod going on the same channel (each different, chorus, diffuser, flanger, freqshift) AND I also had 2 instances AUs of Replicant 2 going on the same AUM channel. No problems at all.

So far on the thread here:- https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/20439/trouble-starting-several-au-instances/p1 it's been mostly the 12.9 users reporting crashes. Maybe the 10.5 is less crash+ happy. I'm curious. Can you go beyond 8 instances of quatromod ?
    I've managed 4 instances of phosphor, 4 instances of replicant and 8 instances of quatromod with no issues on my Air2. The pro should be able to at least double that.
    Also. The crashes happen when on multiple channels. Could you test with 4 channels in AUM at least ?

Check this out. Although I can't say this combo sounded that great ;) it didn't crash, crackle or stumble at all.

Edit: I can't run more than 4 instances of Quatromod at once. Same thin for all Audio Damage AU apps I have. Though, I can run dozens+ of all my other AUv3 apps. Seems to be only the AD apps that have the 4 instance limit.

• latest beta 10.5 headphones. phonem infinite or bm3 audio descends into cracklesville. need to time this, always seems to be at the twenty minute mark.

• crify, doesn't the unplug/plug jack solution work for eliminating crackle? It only takes 1 second, and latency doesn't come back during the session using the jack in my experience (10.5").

(Notes (text app) froze everything on 2 occasions, but I haven't trusted Apple's word processing apps for many years, so I don't use them for anything long).

• @skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

So far on the thread here:- https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/20439/trouble-starting-several-au-instances/p1 it's been mostly the 12.9 users reporting crashes. Maybe the 10.5 is less crash+ happy. I'm curious. Can you go beyond 8 instances of quatromod ?

Check this out. Although I can't say this combo sounded that great ;) it didn't crash, crackle or stumble at all.

Edit: I can't run more than 4 instances of Quatromod at once. Same thin for all Audio Damage AU apps I have. Though, I can run dozens+ of all my other AUv3 apps. Seems to be only the AD apps that have the 4 instance limit.

You can run dozens of a single au ? It seems to be literally every au has a hard limit on the 12.9.

• edited August 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

You can run dozens of a single au ? It seems to be literally every au has a hard limit on the 12.9.

I meant dozen+ AUs in general. Was watching a movie with my wife, but wanted to get back to you. I set this up at your request. Take from it what you will. You're welcome.

• @skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

I meant dozen+ AUs in general. Was watching a movie with my wife, but wanted to get back to you. I set this up at your request. Take from it what you will. You're welcome.

You can run dozens of aus pretty much with all the iPad pros. The current problem seems to be you cannot run more than 3-4 instances of a single au. Meanwhile older iPads can run upto a dozen of a single AU. Was just wondering if your 10.5 was different.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

You can run dozens of aus pretty much with all the iPad pros. The current problem seems to be you cannot run more than 3-4 instances of a single au. Meanwhile older iPads can run upto a dozen of a single AU. Was just wondering if your 10.5 was different.

I just tested the limits of my iPad Air, 1GB RAM --- I can easily load 12 instances of Phosphor into AUM, then add up to six instances of EOS.

On the new iPad Pro 12.9 with 4 GB RAM, 3 instances of Phosphor is the limit, and I can have a maximum of 2 instances of Phosphor. Something is not right there.

It would be cool to know if the same limits apply to the 10.5 Pros, just to know a bit more about the problem.

• edited August 2017

This AU limit on top of the rest of the issues is really weird. How can we get someone at Apple to fix this — have all of you with issues on the new pros filed a bug report at https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html? I have and don't even own the new pro yet :D

I really want to upgrade now as my air 2 is dying in BM3 with just a few AUs

• willhindson, any AU plugin limit may well be due to their own devs code, not Apple's.

• edited August 2017

@Voicey said:
    willhindson, any AU plugin limit may well be due to their own devs code, not Apple's.

What Doesnt make sense is much weaker iPads don't have the same limits as the new pro. The older units can clearly run 3 to 4 times more instances. Which makes no sense whatsoever. @skiphunt is the only 10.5 owner posting here on the forum. I'm genuinely curious to see if his limits are higher than the 12.9 pro. And whether they are atleast as high as the air2.

• edited August 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:
    willhindson, any AU plugin limit may well be due to their own devs code, not Apple's.

What Doesnt make sense is much weaker iPads don't have the same limits as the new pro. The older units can clearly run 3 to 4 times more instances. Which makes no sense whatsoever. @skiphunt is the only 10.5 owner posting here on the forum. I'm genuinely curious to see if his limits are higher than the 12.9 pro. And whether they are atleast as high as the air2.

I can only run about 4 instances of the same AU, but dozen's + of multiple mixtures of AUs. It's not consistent either, because as you can see in my posted screenshot, I'm running 5 instances of QuatroMod... but now it will only run 4. I've tried AUM, BM3 and Modstep. The same for all.

Fortunately for me, I have no need or interest to run more than that... but it is odd that you can run 8 Quatromod instances on an Air2, but I can't on a 10.5 pro. It's not a dealbreaker for me, and if it was hardware related I'd think it would manifest as an overall cpu limit of general AUs instances and not just specific AU instances.

That being said, although I could easily and painlessly return the iPad Pro if I wanted to without any questions asked... I'm keeping it. I love it in pretty much every way.

Maybe you can get one of the developers here to chime in on what they think is going on, since they have a better idea of how the software interacts with the iOS, apps, and hardware on a deeper, more intimate level than I do.

Hope that helps.

• edited August 2017

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

I can only run about 4 instances of the same AU, but dozen's + of multiple mixtures of AUs. It's not consistent either, because as you can see in my posted screenshot, I'm running 5 instances of QuatroMod... but now it will only run 4. I've tried AUM, BM3 and Modstep. The same for all.

Fortunately for me, I have no need or interest to run more than that... but it is odd that you can run 8 Quatromod instances on an Air2, but I can't on a 10.5 pro. It's not a dealbreaker for me, and if it was hardware related I'd think it would manifest as an overall cpu limit of general AUs instances and not just specific AU instances.

That being said, although I could easily and painlessly return the iPad Pro if I wanted to without any questions asked... I'm keeping it. I love it in pretty much every way.

Maybe you can get one of the developers here to chime in on what they think is going on, since they have a better idea of how the software interacts with the iOS, apps, and hardware on a deeper, more intimate level than I do.

Hope that helps.

Wierdly enough I managed to run upwards of 12 in some au on the air2. I just used 12 as a general example. Quatromod seems to max at 9 instances. You definitely seem to be able to run more instances than the 12.9 pro. That seems to max out at 3 instances. Quatromod crashes with more than 2.

For me the only reason I was upgrading my air2 is to run more instances of apps and Au. The fact that it seems to be capable of half as many in the best case scenario baffles me. I'm just trying to get the 256gb 9.7 pro now.

• edited August 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Hope that helps.

Wierdly enough I managed to run upwards of 12 in some au on the air2. I just used 12 as a general example. Quatromod seems to max at 9 instances. You definitely seem to be able to run more instances than the 12.9 pro. That seems to max out at 3 instances. Quatromod crashes with more than 2.

For me the only reason I was upgrading my air2 is to run more instances of apps and Au. The fact that it seems to be capable of half as many in the best case scenario baffles me. I'm just trying to get the 256gb 9.7 pro now.

Your call. I wanted the larger screen. I'd bet though... that once iOS11 goes out for public release, we'll see a much different picture. Everything I've read about the new iPad Pros suggest that you won't really see the power they're capable of until iOS11 is finally released.

My initial plan was to wait until iOS11 drops, but there was a decent sale on the iPad Pros that I wanted to take advantage of, instead of waiting for the holiday sales that typically only give you an Apple gift card anyway. That, and I was tired of having to delete apps and constantly trying get by with 64GB Air2.

In addition to that, I was mostly interested in graphic performance. Although I'm MUCH more engaged in iOS audio than I ever thought I'd be... my core use is for video, photo, and graphics. Before I upgraded to the 10.5 Pro, I couldn't get through an entire photo edit session in Affinity Photo before it'd crash. It got much better with the last update, but still not reliable on an Air2. Now, with a 10.5, I've yet to crash Affinity Photo at all.

I realize audio is your primary use of the iPad, so I can see why you'd be more concerned. For me, audio was a temporary diversion into something different that was mostly foreign to me a couple years ago. That sort of turned into a bit of an obsession to my surprise. However, I'm mostly looking forward to getting back to my core competencies in the video/photo/motion/graphic world... with the confidence that I'm now capable of making my own passable soundtracks, soundscapes, music, and sound design if needed. :)

• @skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Hope that helps.

Your call. I wanted the larger screen. I'd bet though... that once iOS11 goes out for public release, we'll see a much different picture. Everything I've read about the new iPad Pros suggest that you won't really see the power they're capable of until iOS11 is finally released.

My initial plan was to wait until iOS11 drops, but there was a decent sale on the iPad Pros that I wanted to take advantage of, instead of waiting for the holiday sales that typically only give you an Apple gift card anyway. That, and I was tired of having to delete apps and constantly trying get by with 64GB Air2.

In addition to that, I was mostly interested in graphic performance. Although I'm MUCH more engaged in iOS audio than I ever thought I'd be... my core use is for video, photo, and graphics. Before I upgraded to the 10.5 Pro, I couldn't get through an entire photo edit session in Affinity Photo before it'd crash. It got much better with the last update, but still not reliable on an Air2. Now, with a 10.5, I've yet to crash Affinity Photo at all.

I realize audio is your primary use of the iPad, so I can see why you'd be more concerned. For me, audio was a temporary diversion into something different that was mostly foreign to me a couple years ago. That sort of turned into a bit of an obsession to my surprise. However, I'm mostly looking forward to getting back to my core competencies in the video/photo/motion/graphic world... with the confidence that I'm now capable of making my own passable soundtracks, soundscapes, music, and sound design if needed. :)

Understandable when stuff other than audio is your primary use case. For me the graphic design stuff is not interesting at all. So it either does audio well or it's not worth it for me.
    lets see. I'm still seeing a few issues with the first gen pros being unstable in certain audio apps like Bm3 and even multiple AUs in Aum. Stuff that any A8x and below cpus aren't encountering. So even over a year later they haven't been fixed fully, it's mainly why I'm sceptical that apple will even fix the a10 iPads properly since they haven't fixed the earlier generation fully yet.

• edited August 2017

tried to do a standardised test then realised it’s pointless. AUM is very slow to load apps and hung at my second au. 10.5 public beta 4. the next beta could improve things. my thinking is I’ll be waiting for an official release and then developers to address the carnage.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Hope that helps.

Just for testing, I just created a project on my iPad Pro 9'7" 256 GB running 15 simultaneous instances of BramBos Phasemaker AU running inside Auria Pro, all tracks recording at the same time. The CPU meter never went beyond 34%, and there were absolutely no lag or artifacts. iOS 11, PB4. Hope that helps you.

• P.S.: when playing back, the CPU meter did reach 60%, which is still pretty useable.

• @theconnactic said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Hope that helps.

Just for testing, I just created a project on my iPad Pro 9'7" 256 GB running 15 simultaneous instances of BramBos Phasemaker AU running inside Auria Pro, all tracks recording at the same time. The CPU meter never went beyond 34%, and there were absolutely no lag or artifacts. iOS 11, PB4. Hope that helps you.

This result is extremely interesting to me. It seems to be you are the only person that had been able to run more than 8 instances of any Au on the new pros.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@theconnactic said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Hope that helps.

This result is extremely interesting to me. It seems to be you are the only person that had been able to run more than 8 instances of any Au on the new pros.

But that was obviously an old Pro if it is 9.7

It seems it is dependent on what auv3 it is. For example, I just loaded 20 instances of Ripple Maker into AUM with no problem on a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 but I can't have more than two instances of AudioReverb or most other effect apps ...

• @nick said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@theconnactic said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Hope that helps.

But that was obviously an old Pro if it is 9.7

It seems it is dependent on what auv3 it is. For example, I just loaded 20 instances of Ripple Maker into AUM with no problem on a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 but I can't have more than two instances of AudioReverb or most other effect apps ...

Oh yeah. Didn't realise he said 9.7. that doesn't really count since most of the issues are with the a10 chips.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@theconnactic said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Hope that helps.

I've just caught the tail end of this thread. Am interested as currently testing the 12.9 2017.
    Tell me what use case you'd like testing with specific apps and I'll download them and do a test on BM3. Is it only the AUdio damage plugins ? Which ones

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@theconnactic said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Hope that helps.

Check THIS out. Even more interesting...

I just tried this same setup with 15 instances of Phasemaker in Auria Pro and it worked fine. THEN, I bumped it up to 20 instances of Phasemaker and recorded it fine. THEN, get this... I added 20 instances if Quatromod and recorded the whole mess just fine.

• edited August 2017

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@theconnactic said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Hope that helps.

Check THIS out. Even more interesting...

I just tried this same setup with 15 instances of Phasemaker in Auria Pro and it worked fine. THEN, I bumped it up to 20 instances of Phasemaker and recorded it fine. THEN, get this... I added 20 instances if Quatromod and recorded the whole mess just fine.

Wierdly enough ios11 beta 5 broke Auria. But this pleases me indeed. :) I might just grab the 10.5 version if it gets sorted out when ios11 rolls out.

• Just did some more tests with the 12.9 ...
    No problem with 12 instances Ripple Maker plus VirSyn's AudioFX app in Cubasis

so it does not seems to be a general problem affecting all apps

• To save me reading 11 pages - Do we have a shortlist of problem apps?

• @nick said:
    Just did some more tests with the 12.9 ...
    No problem with 12 instances Ripple Maker plus VirSyn's AudioFX app in Cubasis

so it does not seems to be a general problem affecting all apps

Indeed. Might be something specific to Aum and beatmaker 3. @j_liljedahl is looking into it so hopefully AUM gets fixed for the pro users soon :)

• edited August 2017

@nrgb said:
    To save me reading 11 pages - Do we have a shortlist of problem apps?

TLDR:- Every Au except brambos au cannot load more than 3-4 instances in AUM and Bm3. Pro 10.5 seems to be able to run 1-2 instances more than the new 12.9 pro. IOS 11 Beta 5 breaks a lot more things so do NOT install it. Latency bug gets fixed if you plugin headphones first. Start daw. Then unplug replug headphones after 10 seconds. You can use the app latency free for hrs on end after that.

That's the gist of this entire thread.

• Cheers. :)

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@theconnactic said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Voicey said:

Hope that helps.

It’s not a new Pro! It’s the 2016 iPad Pro, 9’7”, 256 GB, iOS 11! I think the new Pro doesn’t even ship in 9’7” form factory. Cheers!