Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• edited August 2017

@knewspeak said:
    If this bug remains, my iPad will be returned, I want to use it live, that's not happening while this latency and sound degradation happens.

Yea. I use my iPads for 2+ hr jam sessions live. A device that can't even do 30mins is useless for me. Will wait and see if it ever gets fixed before I bite. (Fixed as in without needing this strange workaround which noone seems to have tested with audio interfaces yet.)

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@knewspeak said:
    If this bug remains, my iPad will be returned, I want to use it live, that's not happening while this latency and sound degradation happens.

Yea. I use my iPads for 2+ hr jam sessions live. A device that can't even do 30mins is useless for me. Will wait and see if it ever gets fixed before I bite. (Fixed as in without needing this strange workaround which noone seems to have tested with audio interfaces yet.)

I can understand that. However, I don't play for that long... I don't play it live... and I just screw around combining sounds in strange compositions or mess with designing sounds. So, having to reset the memory isn't a problem for me. I would agree that it's something that should be addressed by apple pronto, and I'd bet it's something that will likely be fixed by iOS11 once it goes live. Based on the behavior I really don't think it's a hardware issue, but if I played/jammed live like you say you do, I'll likely wait and see first too.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@knewspeak said:

@gonekrazy3000 - I can test it on my Apogee One v2, but, hasn’t been home for a while, but, heading home tomorrow (on vacation)...

Is Agogee One v2 enough as an audio interface?

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@knewspeak said:

@gonekrazy3000 - I can test it on my Apogee One v2, but, hasn’t been home for a while, but, heading home tomorrow (on vacation)...

Yea. Pretty much any audio interface will do. Want to know whether the workaround still works once it's not using the onboard soundchip. Not to mention whether or not audio errors occur even without the fix. I mostly perform using either my novation audiohub or my iconnectivity Ica4+. So if it reliably works a couple hrs then I'd be quite happy.

• I'm pretty much in Skiphunt's situation and totally ITB. I'm afraid that I don't have an audio interface to test for you guys.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@knewspeak said:

Yea. Pretty much any audio interface will do. Want to know whether the workaround still works once it's not using the onboard soundchip. Not to mention whether or not audio errors occur even without the fix. I mostly perform using either my novation audiohub or my iconnectivity Ica4+. So if it reliably works a couple hrs then I'd be quite happy.

This probably doesn't give you any relevant information, but I was just using the 10.5 as a controller via bluetooth into 4 separate midi Alchemy synth instrument tracks in Logic Pro X. I was using a 4-pane set-up in TC-Data and also sending midi sequences via Modstep. I didn't notice any real lag/latency and it didn't degrade with over 2hrs of messing around. Granted, not using the soundchip in that scenario so it likely doesn't tell you anything with regard to your concerns.

• After hearing the issue with the headphone jack I am so glad I didn't pull the trigger and buy the new 2017 iPad Pro model. This could be a conspiracy and an excuse for CrApple to get rid of the headphone jack on future iPad and iPad Pros.

• I have used the 10.5 with Keith McMillen K-mix interface for a couple hours with no problem. Can record 8 audio input tracks simultaneously with iSEM and Model 15 running in BM3 no problem so far.

• @Artmuzz said:
    After hearing the issue with the headphone jack I am so glad I didn't pull the trigger and buy the new 2017 iPad Pro model. This could be a conspiracy and an excuse for CrApple to get rid of the headphone jack on future iPad and iPad Pros.

But, this conspiracy theory doesn’t make full sence, though even when you taking the sound out of the digital output (lightning) this latency problem occur...

Will test my Apogee One v2 tomorrow and see if it can be any differences...

• @Artmuzz said:
    After hearing the issue with the headphone jack I am so glad I didn't pull the trigger and buy the new 2017 iPad Pro model. This could be a conspiracy and an excuse for CrApple to get rid of the headphone jack on future iPad and iPad Pros.

Yes, I'd wait for the next one ... you know ... the one where they remove the headphone jack :)

• I haven't used mine 10.5 with a audio interface but I might be picking up the CCK today and I have a Roland quad capture to test it with.
    Haven't actually done much music cuz this problem annoys me so much haha. Patiently waiting for an update or at least some statement from Apple on the matter. So many apps I want to waste my money on but now I'm holding out haha.
    Don't want to return this but might go to the Apple Store and see if I can talk to somebody. I've never really dealt with apple CS before.

For me I'm a full time patient who spends most days in bed so rocking with just a pair of headphones is a must for me.
    I can get it to go away for a while doing the reset but latency just comes back and the audio degradation gets rediculous. Never should of gave away my old iPad mini lol.

• @lnikj said:

@Artmuzz said:

Yes, I'd wait for the next one ... you know ... the one where they remove the headphone jack :)

No it's got to have a headphone jack but knowing Apple they will remove it like what they have done in the iPhone 7.

• @Artmuzz said:

@lnikj said:

@Artmuzz said:

No it's got to have a headphone jack but knowing Apple they will remove it like what they have done in the iPhone 7.

I meant that this one might be the last one that does have the headphone jack.

I am still using a temperamental 17" MacBookPro with a matt screen, 6 years old and on its 4th logic board - Apple have never made a 17" since and I doubt now they ever will.

This might be your last chance to use studio quality headphones with an IOS device!

• edited August 2017

@lnikj said:

@Artmuzz said:

@lnikj said:

@Artmuzz said:

I meant that this one might be the last one that does have the headphone jack.

I am still using a temperamental 17" MacBookPro with a matt screen, 6 years old and on its 4th logic board - Apple have never made a 17" since and I doubt now they ever will.

This might be your last chance to use studio quality headphones with an IOS device!

Yes, sad times ahead for us iOS musicians with Apple. I remember when Apple made computers for musicians, photographers and artists. Now they seem to only care for the teenage customers with their Facebook and selfies. Anyway, I will wait until this issue is fixed and iOS11 is released before I decide whether to buy the new iPad Pro 2017 model.

• edited August 2017

Having said that I had no problems with my 10.5 inch iPad Pro, I have now discovered one! Everything through my headphones is fine with no latency at all ever, but last night I connected a 3.5mm cable from the audio jack to an external speaker and I started getting some latency in Beatmaker 3 when hosting Audio Units. But not when hosting IAA apps, weirdly. After a while, this latency expanded to standalone synth apps as if the initial problem with AU hosted in Beatmaker 3 had done something to the overall latency of the device. But unplugging the audio cable and plugging it in again instantly solved the problem with the other synths! I'll have to do some more tests and see if that also solved the problem with Beatmaker 3, AU and the external speaker.

What this seems to indicate, though, is that the latency is dependent on the connection you're making through the headphones jack and what you're trying to do with that connection, which is weird! Based on this, it sounds more like a software issue than a hardware one. Once it affects one thing, then there may be a cascade effect! I'll do some testing with my iConnectAudio4+ over the weekend to see if it's just the audio jack.

With my headphones, though, I have had hour-long sessions with no latency at all, including in Beatmaker 3 with AU and IAA. So if the existence of latency is dependent on both the connection you have with the audio jack and what you're doing with it, this could explain why some people's setups are fine while others are borked, as I have had 2 very different outcomes with 2 different types of connection, and nothing started going wrong until I was doing something very particular in Beatmaker 3.

• Couple of questions:

Does this issue happen with both 2016 iPad Pro models?

Is anyone having this issue when using an iConnectivity interface? i'm using the ICA four plus.

• @HandOfEmpty said:
    Couple of questions:

Does this issue happen with both 2016 iPad Pro models?

Is anyone having this issue when using an iConnectivity interface? i'm using the ICA four plus.

No, this only affecting iPad Pros with AX10 CPU:s manufactured from may/june 2017 and forward...

• Now I have tested my new iPad Pro 12.9" (2017) with my external soundcard (Apogee One v2).

The reason to test this setup is to see if the latency problem still occurs when taking the sound out of an external source.
    And, YES! This setup went flawless for two hours!

I tested all kind of apps, in and out with the cord (lightning) to the Apogee One, and, using both the screen pads and a MIDI keyboard (iRIG Keys).
    But, I used the new Apple Camera Kit Connection adapter between my iPad and the Apogee One (then you also can charge you iPad on an live performance as an example)...

Tested this with the updated Beatmaker 3.01 and several other nice apps. Even Korg Gadget.

As I can see it just now this seems to be working 100% for you guys that can't unplug/replug your sound system during an live session...

Will test this a lot more now when I'm back home from the long vacation...

• I might be very wrong with this statement, but I have been listening music on spotify with my iPad pro with headphones for hours after hours and never had any issues. The problem occurs when using BM3 and other music apps. Doesn't this prove that it has to be a software issue? I mean it has to be the same audio that is sent to the headphone no matter if it comes from spotify or any other app or I'm I totally wrong?

• @fattigman said:
    I might be very wrong with this statement, but I have been listening music on spotify with my iPad pro with headphones for hours after hours and never had any issues. The problem occurs when using BM3 and other music apps. Doesn't this prove that it has to be a software issue? I mean it has to be the same audio that is sent to the headphone no matter if it comes from spotify or any other app or I'm I totally wrong?

It's probably similar to how windows uses direct for normal apps and asio for music apps. There might be a different protocol from normal operation on ios when using music apps.

• edited August 2017

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Now I have tested my new iPad Pro 12.9" (2017) with my external soundcard (Apogee One v2).

The reason to test this setup is to see if the latency problem still occurs when taking the sound out of an external source.

I tested all kind of apps, in and out with the cord (lightning) to the Apogee One, and, using both the screen pads and a MIDI keyboard (iRIG Keys).
    But, I used the new Apple Camera Kit Connection adapter between my iPad and the Apogee One (then you also can charge you iPad on an live performance as an example)...

Tested this with the updated Beatmaker 3.01 and several other nice apps. Even Korg Gadget.

As I can see it just now this seems to be working 100% for you guys that can't unplug/replug your sound system during an live session...

So good to hear this. The pro is once again on my list waiting it's release here. As long as it works properly with an interface I don't care if I have to do workarounds for fiddling about using the headphone jack.

Would it be possible to test longer jams to see if the latency build up still occurs ? Like 3-4 hrs ? I rarely cross 4 hrs during a live jam. But would like to know if it's stable atleast for that long. My air 2 has been solid for 5-6 hrs.

• I just got a message saying my reserved ipad pro 12.9" 256 / 4g has finally arrived at the apple store in town. If it wasn't for this thread I would have already picked it up...

So tempted to just go down there now and get it but I think I need some encouragement! What's the general consensus from owners: you think this is definitely a software issue that will likely be fixed?

• @willhindson said:
    I just got a message saying my reserved ipad pro 12.9" 256 / 4g has finally arrived at the apple store in town. If it wasn't for this thread I would have already picked it up...

So tempted to just go down there now and get it but I think I need some encouragement! What's the general consensus from owners: you think this is definitely a software issue that will likely be fixed?

I'm not to concern to this "bug" any longer....
    For me, after many hours of investigating, I can go around this problem for the moment...
    Either the method I written about earlier in this thread, or, thru my external sound interface (Apogee One v2)...

Go for your iPad - now!

• edited August 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Now I have tested my new iPad Pro 12.9" (2017) with my external soundcard (Apogee One v2).

So good to hear this. The pro is once again on my list waiting it's release here. As long as it works properly with an interface I don't care if I have to do workarounds for fiddling about using the headphone jack.

Would it be possible to test longer jams to see if the latency build up still occurs ? Like 3-4 hrs ? I rarely cross 4 hrs during a live jam. But would like to know if it's stable atleast for that long. My air 2 has been solid for 5-6 hrs.

I can make a test later. Four hours is a long testperiod... Probably is should go out in the sun first in the nice weather here in Sweden!

But, the latency was very spot on after two hours...

I'll coming back...

• I spent a good 4hrs of messing around with my 10.5 last night. Was using BM3, CcSpectral, GrainProc, AUM, Phosphor 2, Dhalang MG, and a few AU fx here and there.

I wasn't really "playing" anything, but rarely noticed any issues at all. At one point it sounded like Phosphor 2 was degrading a bit with some, but after a memory reset it was fine. I did noticed a brief latency creep up in BM3, but that resolved with a memory reset too.

Although I can't deny there may be some issue going on, all in all, for my use... it seems a little exaggerated and I didn't really experience anything much that made me question the device. It's very solid and I'm enjoying more of a noticeable overall "upgrade" experience going from my Air2 to 10.5 Pro, than my last upgrade from iPad 3 to Air2.

On a side note, @lnikj mentioned the joy of using the new pro's Apple pencil with Duet and Photoshop. While I don't have an Apple pencil or Duet, I do have AirDisplay 3 and an Adonit Jot Pro stylus. To try out something similar. Also tried some painting and drawing apps on the iPad and have noticed this new display 120Hz refresh rate makes a very significant difference even with a regular stylus. There's almost no perceivable latency while drawing very quickly. I couldn't believe it so I switched the refresh down to 60Hz and could see similar latency when drawing quickly that I saw with my Air2. Then back to 120Hz and it's really so great, that I don't think I even need an Apple pencil now. Pressure sensitive and the angle stuff would be nice, but for drawing/painting... at 120Hz, I'm totally good with just a regular stylus. :)

Also, I didn't think the little bit larger screen would be that big a deal, but it's much more significant than I thought it'd be.

• I've been failing left and right lately haha.
    Went and bought the expensive CCK only to find out my Roland interface is not supported for iOS
    I firgured since the lower end Roland duo capture was compatible my Quad capture would be. So in the end wasted a day and some money trying to test this iPad.
    Looks like I'm in the market for an audio interface now lol. Off to Craigslist I go.
    Was looking hard at the apogee one as well @ErrkaPetti happy you have had good experience with it.

This hobby is getting too expensive!
    I just want to make some beats in bed with no BS

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    I've been failing left and right lately haha.
    Went and bought the expensive CCK only to find out my Roland interface is not supported for iOS
    I firgured since the lower end Roland duo capture was compatible my Quad capture would be. So in the end wasted a day and some money trying to test this iPad.
    Looks like I'm in the market for an audio interface now lol. Off to Craigslist I go.
    Was looking hard at the apogee one as well @ErrkaPetti happy you have had good experience with it.

This hobby is getting too expensive!
    I just want to make some beats in bed with no BS

Check out Kieth McMillen K-mix I use it works great. Also I saw Dave Smith instruments used them for NAMM show etc. https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-mix/

mentioned it here a couple times. I'm a bit of a fanboy of the product TBH.

• So I just went for to the apple store to test the 12.9" and possibly buy my reserved model, but came away empty handed.

My findings after testing garageband for about 20 minutes, with shure se315 headphones:

I created an 8 bar loop and built up about 10 tracks with various synths and drums. After about 6 minutes I tried live recording some acoustic drums and the latency just went completely off - unusable. I unplugged the headphones, put them back in and it was then ok again. I also tried with a headphone to lightning adapter and in my limited testing there were no latency issues.

It was difficult but I held off buying because it that issue is in all audio apps I'll be really annoyed. We have a 14 day no questions asked return policy in Norway but only if you buy online, so I might try that and test further. Any other updates from other owners?

• @willhindson said:
    So I just went for to the apple store to test the 12.9" and possibly buy my reserved model, but came away empty handed.

My findings after testing garageband for about 20 minutes, with shure se315 headphones:

I created an 8 bar loop and built up about 10 tracks with various synths and drums. After about 6 minutes I tried live recording some acoustic drums and the latency just went completely off - unusable. I unplugged the headphones, put them back in and it was then ok again. I also tried with a headphone to lightning adapter and in my limited testing there were no latency issues.

It was difficult but I held off buying because it that issue is in all audio apps I'll be really annoyed. We have a 14 day no questions asked return policy in Norway but only if you buy online, so I might try that and test further. Any other updates from other owners?

Did you start Garageband with the headphones attached? Or, did you plug it in afterwards?

For me it's important to start whatever app you using AFTER you plug in the audiocable (headphones or sound system)...

• Plug in
    • Start app
    • wait 10 sec
    • unplug audiocable
    • wait 5 sec
    • replug the audiocable...

This is important, at least for my iPad Pro 12.9" (AX10 model)...

Or, attach a external sound interface thru lightning port - that is a permanent solution for me just now (I have Apogee One v2)...

• I can't actually remember, but the point is there's a problem if we have to even think about a routine or which order to do things in - for the price it should just work.