Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• With apogee one interface it's works well AKG or earplug even with monitors it's never gone bad.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@ganmor said:
    I tried with earplug/microphone type headphone and it works well no latency issue or even crackling like it does with my AKG headphone. Maybe it's related to headphone impedance.

if its based on impedance why is it affecting audio interfaces via lightening port ? it doesn't seem to be just the headphone jack at all.

a) I wondered about impedance at first too, but if a powered audio interface has the problem then this is unlikely.

Further thoughts:

b) There has been a lot of supposition about the new refresh rate but nothing definite here. Are we just homing in on that because it is a high demand difference to the old iPad Pro? As in, there could be other changes at work.

c) I know that many audio apps won't do bluetooth earphones on principle (or that used to be the case before the iPhone 7 at any rate), but can anybody fill the audio buffer up beaming to bluetooth? (given that we have now established that it can be both headphone port AND lightning->USB). If you can, does breaking the connection fix it?

• are any/ many seeing the specific issue of distorted audio on iOS 10.3.2/10.3.3 and the new hardware?

• @crifytosp said:
    are any/ many seeing the specific issue of distorted audio on iOS 10.3.2/10.3.3 and the new hardware?

Yes using BM3 on a Pro 10.5, iOS 10.3.2. I don't know if it's related but I encountered a large latency increase when using Model 15 and my Yamaha MD-BT01 adapter, no audio breakup though, it started out fine, then suddenly the latency increased.

• Confirm issues on 12.9" Pro (2017) - Audio distortion after 10+ minutes and that replugging the DT770 Headphones fixed the issue.

Didn't appear to have that issue using the apple buds most of the week.

• which version of iOS are you running @SpookyZoo ?

• @SpookyZoo said:
    @crifytosp 10.3.2

Are you planning on updating to 10.3.3 anytime soon to see if that solves it?

Anyone running 10.3.3 on the new 10.5 pros and having these problems?

It's kind of odd that I can't find any mention anywhere else of these reported issues, anywhere else via google search other than this thread. Nothing at all anywhere else.

• @skiphunt said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    @crifytosp 10.3.2

It's kind of odd that I can't find any mention anywhere else of these reported issues, anywhere else via google search other than this thread. Nothing at all anywhere else.

Don't think updating would solve it, the same thing is being reported on iOS beta. I've seen it reported on the Apple boards. But really only by the music community.

• @skiphunt said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    @crifytosp 10.3.2

Maybe it's AB3? Would need to work on different combos to eliminate causes but I get limited time to indulge myself.

I read that peeps here were still experiencing the issue on 10.3.3 so I didn't update as I hadn't experienced it that much on 10.3.2 prior to this weekend.

• Ok, how bad is this problem? I know at least one regular here has absolutely made up his mind to NOT buy one of the new pros, but I'm undecided.

Honestly, I rarely have any issues with my Air2. I'm only thinking of getting a 10.5 pro, because 1. I need more storage 2. I like the 10.5 size. I didn't think it'd be significant enough to warrant an upgrade, but I tried the 9.7 and 10.5 side-by-side in the store and it was more significant than I thought. Just right I think. 3. I want to be able t get the full benefit of iOS11 when it drops & I was hoping for more stabile performance from Affinity Photo

However, new pro iPad users are also reporting the same level of crashing in Affinity Photo, even using the beta iOS11

I'm not using any audio interface, I'm just playing with sound design, not anything related to performance at all. So, if simply unplugging and plugging in headphones fixes it for now, I could live with that.

Of those with a 10.5 reporting this problem, is it bad enough that if you could easily return your new 10.5 and just get a non-pro model or Air2 with loads of storage, would you return it? Or, is the issue you're experiencing more or less tolerable for most use?

• been infrequent, almost always on bm3 which I consider to be in beta mode and iOS public beta, still thoroughly enjoying the 10.5 may be wise to wait if you can

• @crifytosp said:
    been infrequent, almost always on bm3 which I consider to be in beta mode and iOS public beta, still thoroughly enjoying the 10.5 may be wise to wait if you can

I'd agree, I'm not going to get another iPad, if it's hardware Apple will have replace or fix it, if it's software then that should be in an update, hopefully quite soon. But if you can wait, I would for the moment.

• @skiphunt said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    @crifytosp 10.3.2

I had this latency problem on my iPad Pro 12.9" on both 10.32 and 10.33, and, now on iOS 11 beta 4...

• edited July 2017

Dang it, I've been "waiting" ever since the first rumors of a 10.5 were making the rounds. Was really disappointed when they didn't come out with the last product cycle.

I'm torn as to how much this would even effect me.

Not that this is the case with this thread, but I've noticed there's often rumblings of some catastrophic hardware or firmware or software flaw that's a "deal breaker" with pretty much every highly anticipated new piece of electronics. Always from the enthusiast forums. Sometimes it shakes out to be an actual hardware issue. But more often than not, it gets blown way out of proportion or is so insignificant that it'd likely never effect 99% of the users in any real measurable way.

We've all seen this play out many times I'm sure. I seen it happen with pretty much any new digital camera.

All of the in-depth reviews of these new pros are praising them as rock solid and a great advance for the platform. You'd think at least one of them would have caught something like this by now.

I might give it another month to see if it's any more widespread than this thread at least, and see if there's an update that fixes it. Though, since there was just an update recently, I can't imagine there'd be anything else until 11 gets released.

Also, is this ONLY isolated to the pro iPads?

I'm also not all that convinced this would even be an issue for my use. Although I'm starting to love BM3 and even more so Affinity Photo, I too consider these apps to be more or less paid betas (unfortunately). But, I certainly wouldn't make a hardware purchase decision based on either of these app's current real-world performance.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll monitor it for a little while longer. Cheers

• Well I've just gone and left my iPad Pro in south west England on my return trip to Canada. I guess I'll be using my phone until I can get it Fedex'd over. I was really looking forward to using it on the long haul flight as well... Oh well. I still have the phone so bless universal apps...

• Well most iPad Pro users aren't going to notice an audio latency increase of 200ms. Only people using it for pro audio will be affected.

I returned my iPad 10.5 because the sole reason I bought it was to use for music production and as a sound module for live playing. This latency bug makes it completely useless for that purpose for me.

• @JMac said:
    Well most iPad Pro users aren't going to notice an audio latency increase of 200ms. Only people using it for pro audio will be affected.

I returned my iPad 10.5 because the sole reason I bought it was to use for music production and as a sound module for live playing. This latency bug makes it completely useless for that purpose for me.

But, for me it’s not only problem with the increasing latency, it’s the sound going crazy (crackling noise) just before the latency goes back to almost 0ms...

Today I played a video from the new screen recorder (a test video), and, even there I get a short period of digital noise with crackled sound, so, it’s not only a music app behavior...

• yes I’ve experienced the latency and the distortion not always concurrently

• edited July 2017

Had a little go on my mates Pro yesterday, tried a few apps I don't have (including Layr and Synthscaper) just to see what I'm missing, and noticed the sound seemed to deteriorate a bit after a few minutes with Layr. Not a scientific test by any means, maybe it was an unfamiliar patch or inexperience in using the app, but didn't sound as good as when I started. He hasn't noticed anything, but considering his current acid intake it's unlikely he would anyway.

• Has anyone tested just staying in native BM3, no External plugins, no switching out of the app, and see if the problem occurs?

• @drez said:
    Has anyone tested just staying in native BM3, no External plugins, no switching out of the app, and see if the problem occurs?

It's nothing to do with AB3, yes, yes it still occurs.> @MonzoPro said:

Had a little go on my mates Pro yesterday, tried a few apps I don't have (including Layr and Synthscaper) just to see what I'm missing, and noticed the sound seemed to deteriorate a bit after a few minutes with Layr. Not a scientific test by any means, maybe it was an unfamiliar patch or inexperience in using the app, but didn't sound as good as when I started. He hasn't noticed anything, but considering his current acid intake it's unlikely he would anyway.

Would that be the acidic Apple fix?

• What's really odd is that I haven't experienced this at all on my iPad Pro 10.5 either. Using BM3 standalone, with other apps, other apps standalone, etc. It all works fine and as expected. No latency issues, and never any audio degradation. Strange....

• @Tarekith said:
    What's really odd is that I haven't experienced this at all on my iPad Pro 10.5 either. Using BM3 standalone, with other apps, other apps standalone, etc. It all works fine and as expected. No latency issues, and never any audio degradation. Strange....

Is this using the headphone port?

I will be doing some testing tomorrow with the headphone port, regular built in speakers, and finally an Kieth McMillen K-mix interface to see if there are any differences. I know the consensus is that ios 11 beta 4 does not solve this problem, but, I may try upgrading to the beta after as well. I bought the 10.5 pro as a music machine and if this is hardware and or too difficult to patch via software that gives me 4 or 5 days until my two week return period is over. I'm in love with the new iPads and don't really want to return it but if this is unfix-able or going to take until Christmas to sort out I might have no choice as this would just become a super expensive netflix machine.

• Yes I was using the headphone port as well as an audio interface.

• edited July 2017

This is a long shot, but have those of you with issues, who can trace it to the headphone port... tried other headphones?

The reason I'm asking, is because I was forced to get a new iPhone a couple months ago because I accidentally smashed my old one under the car hood... but I digress ;)

I noticed the iPhone SE that I bought to replace it doesn't behave well with some of my headphones. With one set, that worked fine with my iPhone 5 and have a builtin mic, they cause static, cutouts and weirdness if I'm using them listening to podcasts on my iPhone SE. The behavior sounds like a faulty sound chip. But, the same headphones work fine with my old iPod nano.

Strange enough, and consistent with the iPad Pro issues described, that come and go, and increase in severity with time... I was getting the same problem with these headphones. I was traveling on my motorcycle for a few weeks recently, and only had one pair of headphones/earbuds with me for listening to podcasts on the road. Sometimes I'd have the issue described, and sometimes it'd be fine. Other times, I'd start out with the issue and then after a few miles down the road, it'd either gradually get worse, or gradually go away on it's own.

I thought something was wrong with this iPhone SE, but I tried another set of headphones with the iPhone SE when I got home, and they seem to be fine... none of the weird dropouts, static, etc. I don't know why that is, because they appear to have the same 3.5 plug. There could be a slight difference in the length of the plug though.

Might be worth swapping out 3 or 4 different pairs of headphones to see if the same problem exists regardless of which pair you're using.

• Another long shot, but only if it's definitely related to the headphone port... I mentioned this on the forum before, but back when I got my iPod nano, I was having all kinds of issues with it. Kept skipping tracks, volume up/down, the FM radio would freakishly come on for no reason, etc. like it had a mind of it's own.

It seemed related to the headphone port and didn't seem to matter which headphones I used. I thought maybe the port was dirty, but since it was brand new, I didn't pursue cleaning it.

Then, one day I tried blasting some compressed air into the port... and out flew a piece of packing fiber that had been lodged down in the port. After that, I never had any issues with it again.

Those of you with headphone port related issues, might be worth at least verifying there's no packing debris stuck in the port. It doesn't take much to cause all sorts of problems.

• Yes I had the latency and noise issue too on my new 12.9 Pro 2.... intermittently. Took it back for a refund.
    Can somebody from the Audiobus Team question Apple as to what is going on ? This is a major stuff up and Apple appear to be keeping very quiet about this. I have emailed them twice.... no reply.

Found this post regarding this issue on their site

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8005718

It has affected lot's of people now and is obviously a real issue (thou some may have escaped it).
    I was looking forward to filling my new Pro 12.9 with many new apps, but I won't be buying any more till this gets sorted out. Developers should try to find out what is going on too.... because it's going to affect their sales too.

I hope and many others too, i'm sure , clearly want this situation to be sorted out quickly.

• Maybe it happens just with a specific batch of iPads or sometimes Apple use different manufactures for some parts.
    So it's the latency and distortion gate then.